F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > New Ford Bronco?
Studio RSR

05-27-2022, 10:37 AM   #1
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

New Ford Bronco?

Anyone have one of these? Most reviews I've read seem pretty positive. Looking to add an off-road toy in the next couple of years, but STILL waiting on Toyota to reveal the next gen 4Runner. Not too thrilled with the new Tundra/Sequoia looks so I imagine it will look similar, but I'm still hoping Toyota has something special planned for the 4Runner given it's cult following.
      05-27-2022, 12:13 PM   #2
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Anyone have one of these? Most reviews I've read seem pretty positive. Looking to add an off-road toy in the next couple of years, but STILL waiting on Toyota to reveal the next gen 4Runner. Not too thrilled with the new Tundra/Sequoia looks so I imagine it will look similar, but I'm still hoping Toyota has something special planned for the 4Runner given it's cult following.
Good luck getting an allocation. If you do expect a very long wait.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

My brother wanted to test drive one so I rode along. It's definitely a toy as it has laughable NVH for today's day and age. Rattling galore, insane wind noise. This was the soft top model btw.

Would be a fun vehicle though if used for off roading, beach trips, etc.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2022, 01:58 PM   #4
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Wrangler
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2022, 02:13 PM   #5
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

There are a handful of Bronco owners that posted their impressions in the old Bronco thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...739246&page=20

Most seem to like it better than the Wrangler.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I took one on one of these obstacle courses that was put on by Ford. Cute little SUV, but I couldn't see myself driving one. Maybe if I was in high school?
Appreciate 2
DocL1922.50
Violator4587.50
      05-27-2022, 07:49 PM   #7
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Pick up a lower mileage FJ Cruiser.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 08:35 PM   #8
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Pick up a lower mileage FJ Cruiser.
If you can find one for reasonable money

But I'd actually go with 1st gen Lexus GX or 4th gen 4Runner with V8.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 04:22 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
My brother wanted to test drive one so I rode along. It's definitely a toy as it has laughable NVH for today's day and age. Rattling galore, insane wind noise. This was the soft top model btw.

Would be a fun vehicle though if used for off roading, beach trips, etc.
Which is the concept...

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-28-2022 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      05-28-2022, 07:44 AM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I'm buying mine as a daily driver once I retire. Of the several test drives I've taken in the 4-door soft top version, it is no more loud inside than my E86.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 08:08 AM   #11
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

2022 orders are closed 2023 will be open to order later this year, we test drove and ordered one few days before cut off. Eta 1-1 1/2 years. It’s the around about time we’d be looking to have our hands on it anyway. Nvh far less than our TJ no more than the JK we leased. Drove and ordered 2 door hard top, back is more spacious than the 4 door JK as well.

Last edited by Piper1; 05-28-2022 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      05-28-2022, 09:24 AM   #12
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
The only gripe I’ve seen in comparison is not a solid front axle. Die hard off roaders/rock crawlers are still wanting front solid but it’s quite capable none the less. Majority of our off roading is to campsites which the TJ is still going to be used more for that least while the bronco still has that new car luster.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuj7lGrfG4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RgswLXe_wG8
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
2022 orders are closed 2023 will be open to order later this year, we test drove and ordered one few days before cut off. Eta 1-1 1/2 years. It’s the around about time we’d be looking to have our hands on it anyway. Nvh far less than our TJ no more than the JK we leased. Drove and ordered 2 door hard top, back is more spacious than the 4 door JK as well.
This is the point; the Bronco is reintroduced as competitor to the Jeep Wrangler, as they were competitors in the 1960's. The Bronco design has inherent NVH characteristics that any removable door and roof vehicle would have. The tolerances required to make the doors and roof easily removable increase the chance of noise entering the cabin, and off-road capable suspension + tires brings compromises to street handling characteristics.

There are numerous first-time buyers* of the Bronco that do not understand the type of vehicle they are buying; it's Jeep Thing - Ford style...

* there are many of these buyers on the Bronco forums that do not understand what they are buying. These people will be the source of the soon to be used fleet available for purchase (unfortunately right now at far too inflated prices).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2022, 02:14 PM   #14
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
This is the point; the Bronco is reintroduced as competitor to the Jeep Wrangler, as they were competitors in the 1960's. The Bronco design has inherent NVH characteristics that any removable door and roof vehicle would have. The tolerances required to make the doors and roof easily removable increase the chance of noise entering the cabin, and off-road capable suspension + tires brings compromises to street handling characteristics.

There are numerous first-time buyers* of the Bronco that do not understand the type of vehicle they are buying; it's Jeep Thing - Ford style...

* there are many of these buyers on the Bronco forums that do not understand what they are buying. These people will be the source of the soon to be used fleet available for purchase (unfortunately right now at far too inflated prices).
Yep I agree. I always have similar conversations about non sport/sport/track set ups and can tell from the deer in the head lights looks it totally passed them buy. I’m not sure if I’m the only one that gets excited when tire shopping but I think quadratec gives some really great reviews on whole tire line ups make by make. People want those big tread off road tires because they look cool but then they get rid of them because it handled for crap on their mostly highway traveled commute then naturally wonder why they can’t stop as well in snow.

I always joke about the soft top when it’s on the TJ (wife had bought it new with both tops) on the highway its like being inside a bodhran (Irish drum) especially with front windows rolled down
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2022, 08:35 PM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Yep I agree. I always have similar conversations about non sport/sport/track set ups and can tell from the deer in the head lights looks it totally passed them buy. I’m not sure if I’m the only one that gets excited when tire shopping but I think quadratec gives some really great reviews on whole tire line ups make by make. People want those big tread off road tires because they look cool but then they get rid of them because it handled for crap on their mostly highway traveled commute then naturally wonder why they can’t stop as well in snow.

I always joke about the soft top when it’s on the TJ (wife had bought it new with both tops) on the highway its like being inside a bodhran (Irish drum) especially with front windows rolled down
A TJ was almost civilized compared to the YJ. I had a YJ with the big four banger and 5-sp manual. Could easily do 12+ hours in it. Soft top with half-doors. The Bronco will be a piece of cake. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 09:19 PM   #16
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I always take Bronco comments with a grain of salt because many folks don’t understand that the Bronco Sport, which became available several months ago, is a completely different vehicle than the Bronco. I also wonder how much this confusion (2 completely different vehicles with very similar names) will affect affect resale value down the road.

In the BMW world it seems similar to driving a FWD X1 or X2 and not understanding how different it is from an AWD X3. However I think the Ford naming scheme makes it less obvious that the Bronco Sport is a much cheaper model than a Bronco, and it is not a sporty upgrade package for a Bronco.
Appreciate 1
RobC2312.00
      05-30-2022, 02:48 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
I always take Bronco comments with a grain of salt because many folks don’t understand that the Bronco Sport, which became available several months ago, is a completely different vehicle than the Bronco. I also wonder how much this confusion (2 completely different vehicles with very similar names) will affect affect resale value down the road.

In the BMW world it seems similar to driving a FWD X1 or X2 and not understanding how different it is from an AWD X3. However I think the Ford naming scheme makes it less obvious that the Bronco Sport is a much cheaper model than a Bronco, and it is not a sporty upgrade package for a Bronco.
Ford is marketing "Bronco" now as a sub-brand family of vehicles. Think "Bronco" as equivalent to "Jeep". The market will soon make the distinction.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 10:09 AM   #18
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

just order one once the 2023 order banks open in july, and you have 1.5-2yrs to decide if you want it or not before it shows up.

heard a lot of mixed reviews, but mainly if you get the Bronco Sport it sucks and if you get the regular bronco its pretty sweet

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 10:33 AM   #19
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

I ordered mine last year in march and was delivered in December. Love it so far. I have the Wildtrak on 37s and havent had any issues so far. love the new tech. Added a jb4 and a few other things. Wife loves it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 11:16 AM   #20
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
just order one once the 2023 order banks open in july, and you have 1.5-2yrs to decide if you want it or not before it shows up.

heard a lot of mixed reviews, but mainly if you get the Bronco Sport it sucks and if you get the regular bronco its pretty sweet
When you have your enthusiasts no matter how a manufacturer markets or badges them: if it’s not a wrangler/gladiator it’s not a real jeep. If it’s a Mach E it’s not a real mustang, bronco sport nothing more than explorer and so on. Look at the hate the mk5 Supra got. There’s endless comparisons, I knew someone that said all Mini Cooper owners are snobs why not get a pt cruiser instead
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 03:01 PM   #21
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Base model, two door!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 03:04 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post

This is an exaggeration of the situation.
Appreciate 0