Drives: F80 6MT

The Michelin marketing train is strong in this thread
thurston214.00
      05-10-2022, 10:29 AM   #46
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Not sure if the rest of you know, but tires wear out and can/should be changed. You are not beholden to Yokohama for life. On that first set, you're still getting some value from the lower brand tires, but it's not THAT big a deal.
Appreciate 1
thurston214.00
      05-10-2022, 10:33 AM   #47
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Other than looks, can someone explain to me the objections over the floating rear calipers?

They are ghastly, I get that.
Fixed calipers have at least two or more pistons and are more rigid. The more pistons you have and the rigid construction add up to more clamping force. Floating calipers are typically single piston on the inboard side of the rotor. When the brakes are applied the single piston applies the brake pad on one side of the rotor until it bottoms out which then cause the caliper to slide (why it's called floating) along two shafts in order to pull the pad on the opposite side of the rotors face. It's a bit difficult to explain, but you can find videos online that demonstrate how it works. It's a fairly simple system. Fixed calipers offer better brake clamping force, pedal feel, and more even pad wear.

No performance car should ever have floating calipers. Regardless if they are used just on the rear. BMW didn't want to spend the $$$ to develop them, simple as that.
Appreciate 5
amdmaxx118.00
Poochie9099.00
PLF693762.50
TargaM22489.00
3RDSECTOR486.50
      05-10-2022, 10:35 AM   #48
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

that looks like Paris Dakar config.

what's up with 20-21" rim size on smaller platform?? That looks ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 10:40 AM   #49
JordW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 125d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Well, this is interesting. I noticed the tread the wraps around to the sidewall of this tire looked odd and I didn't see the typical Michelin banner. So I zoomed in and adjust the lighting to check it out and also potentially read the tire size. Unfortunately it's not clear enough to see the aspect ratio, but I was surprised to see this car is running Yokohama tires. I hope this isn't one of the tire brands that makes it to production.

P.S. You can also see the wimpy floating caliper.
My 2015 M235i has proper brake callipers front and rear, why do these newer cars have such low end brakes?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 10:53 AM   #50
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I have read 0 complaints and really nothing but praise for the M3/M4 brakes which also have the floating caliper. So it's just a vanity thing.

Yes, ultimately a multi piston fixed caliper can generate more brake force in theory but from what I can tell the bmw floating caliper design can deliver the brake force that is actually needed for these cars performance

What bmw should have done is add a cover that makes it look like a giant fixed caliper…
Quote:
Originally Posted by prei1978 View Post
80% of the braking is done by the front wheels so the rear brakes can be smaller. Keep in mind that brakes are unsprung weight, so if you can save a few lbs there, why not?

Word. Thanks all.
      05-10-2022, 10:55 AM   #51
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Fixed calipers have at least two or more pistons and are more rigid. The more pistons you have and the rigid construction add up to more clamping force. Floating calipers are typically single piston on the inboard side of the rotor. When the brakes are applied the single piston applies the brake pad on one side of the rotor until it bottoms out which then cause the caliper to slide (why it's called floating) along two shafts in order to pull the pad on the opposite side of the rotors face. It's a bit difficult to explain, but you can find videos online that demonstrate how it works. It's a fairly simple system. Fixed calipers offer better brake clamping force, pedal feel, and more even pad wear.

No performance car should ever have floating calipers. Regardless if they are used just on the rear. BMW didn't want to spend the $$$ to develop them, simple as that.
Oh I know how they work, I'm looking more for justification of the bold. Most of the braking is up front, is there objective evidence to show that the floating is worse in some way than the solid in a rear application?

Do the M cars with them stop in a longer distance, for example, than previous gens?
      05-10-2022, 11:01 AM   #52
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Oh I know how they work, I'm looking more for justification of the bold. Most of the braking is up front, is there objective evidence to show that the floating is worse in some way than the solid in a rear application?

Do the M cars with them stop in a longer distance, for example, than previous gens?
If you want consistency in braking you go with fixed calipers. If you were to swap out the rear calipers with fixed ones, yes the car would stop quicker. How much would it shave off on the stopping distance no one can answer until you do the test, but it will be less.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 11:17 AM   #53
gp_solo2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Quote:

If you want consistency in braking you go with fixed calipers. If you were to swap out the rear calipers with fixed ones, yes the car would stop quicker. How much would it shave off on the stopping distance no one can answer until you do the test, but it will be less.
That is not true. There is much more into the equation like weight distribution, brake balance, tire grip, etc. You may be in a position that bigger brake may lock up the wheel too fast and that you have to offset with ABS or have to be distributed to the front to avoid it and then your bigger brake won't give you any benefit and will instead cost more and weight more.

I have not heard any complaints about break performance on the new G80 and it outperform the previous gen by a massive amount so ai trust the engineer know what they are doing.
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7405.50
      05-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #54
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Same brake set up on the G80

Doesn't look great for the show and shine boys but it performs very adequately

The Yoko's will be fine I'm sure. We had a lot of 'tire lottery' threads on the G80 forum with people complaining about the Pirelli's despite them being equal or better in a lot of independent tests.

Most people couldn't tell the difference in a blind text but they swear by the Michelins!
Appreciate 2
      05-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #55
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

I'm truly excited for this car, but am I the only one who thinks that what appears to be 25 aspect ratio tires is kind of ridiculous? Especially on what is supposed to be a performance-oriented car? I don't think it looks particularly good either.
Appreciate 1
Mavus2014.50
      05-10-2022, 11:36 AM   #56
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
I'm truly excited for this car, but am I the only one who thinks that what appears to be 25 aspect ratio tires is kind of ridiculous? Especially on what is supposed to be a performance-oriented car? I don't think it looks particularly good either.
They are not the standard wheels. It's the same on the G80, they come with rubber bands on the 21' wheels

Standard wheels will have much better aspect ratio etc
Appreciate 1
nicksm3967.50
      05-10-2022, 11:36 AM   #57
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Oh man, this car should of came with 22's and 23's.
BMW you are going on the wrong direction with the wheels!!!! I guess it's Cool for the Cars n Coffee crew :
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 12:13 PM   #58
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_solo2 View Post
That is not true. There is much more into the equation like weight distribution, brake balance, tire grip, etc. You may be in a position that bigger brake may lock up the wheel too fast and that you have to offset with ABS or have to be distributed to the front to avoid it and then your bigger brake won't give you any benefit and will instead cost more and weight more.

I have not heard any complaints about break performance on the new G80 and it outperform the previous gen by a massive amount so ai trust the engineer know what they are doing.
  • F80/82/87 had 2 piston fixed rear calipers standard
  • F80/82 had 4 piston fixed rear if optioned with CCB
  • F87 M2C had 4 piston fixed rear calipers standard in US market, optional in others
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 12:28 PM   #59
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
  • F80/82/87 had 2 piston fixed rear calipers standard
  • F80/82 had 4 piston fixed rear if optioned with CCB
  • F87 M2C had 4 piston fixed rear calipers standard in US market, optional in others
Do you know why?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 12:33 PM   #60
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Do you know why?
Do you know why all Porsche's have fixed calipers except for say their lower end models?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 12:51 PM   #61
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
And for very good reasons. However I never had problems with Yokos, they’ve been some of the better non Michelins I’ve had in the past. A lot better than my experience with Contis for example.

As for Michelins, I never had a Michelin street tire go bad by itself in over 30+ years and I always experienced an upgrade when swapping out delivery tires of other brands. Yep, I’m a fan however should I buy an M2 and get Yokos I’ll happily drive them to the threads before swapping to PSXS, same if I get Pirellis but if the car come with Contis, they’ll go in the trash were they belong.
Appreciate 2
Tag17916.00
      05-10-2022, 01:00 PM   #62
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
And for very good reasons. However I never had problems with Yokos, they’ve been some of the better non Michelins I’ve had in the past. A lot better than my experience with Contis for example.

As for Michelins, I never had a street tire go bad by itself in over 30+ years and I always experienced an upgrade when swapping out delivery tires of other brands. Yep, I’m a fan however should I buy an M2 and get Yokos I’ll happily drive them to the threads before swapping to PSXS, same if I get Pirellis but if the car come with Contis, they’ll go in the trash were they belong.
+1

Michelin's are also the most 'round' or well balanced tires I've run, and I've run every major brand. You don't need much weight to balance a wheel with Michelin's. Another thing I love about them is the extra rubber around the bead area that adds some additional protection against curb rash. Michelin's are also fattys when compared to other brands. They are wider with the sidewall being a bit plump for lack of a better word. That just makes them aesthetically pleasing, especially on a performance car with already wide tires.
Appreciate 3
Game7274.00
T_U_D6669.00
3RDSECTOR486.50
      05-10-2022, 01:04 PM   #63
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
And for very good reasons. However I never had problems with Yokos, they've been some of the better non Michelins I've had in the past. A lot better than my experience with Contis for example.

As for Michelins, I never had a Michelin street tire go bad by itself in over 30+ years and I always experienced an upgrade when swapping out delivery tires of other brands. Yep, I'm a fan however should I buy an M2 and get Yokos I'll happily drive them to the threads before swapping to PSXS, same if I get Pirellis but if the car come with Contis, they'll go in the trash were they belong.
I agree, it's very easy to generalise when it comes to tyres.

Current Conti CSC6 or Pirelli PZ4 Sportscar are much better than you'd think.

I don't have much experience with Yokohamas, but the thing is, they're already on F90 M5s and if they were really shite, they wouldn't get approved by BMW M. Are BMW G8x-spec PS4S better, most likely yes, but no reason to get your panties in a bunch over a consumable such as tyres.

KW and Michelin just know how to market their products in 21st century. And the former really shouldn't be praised as high, but that's a topic for another time.
      05-10-2022, 01:04 PM   #64
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The explanation is really simple. The decision to go with an electric parking brake forced this choice. That is the only caliper BMW makes which incorporates an e-brake function, simple as that.

Exotic high end cars which have electric parking brakes have used other solutions, like an additional mini-caliper on the rear wheel just for that function only. I don’t know that there is any fixed-caliper design out there with an incorporated electric parking brake.
There are two aftermarket integrated fixed piston/EPB calipers available that may work as replacement of the BMW sliding EPB calipers, but not compatible with the OEM 24mm rotors -they work with 28-32mm rotors.

As you said, the solution that works right now with the rear OEM rotors is separate 4-piston calipers and EPB calipers:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      05-10-2022, 01:13 PM   #65
AbdullahMDM
Enlisted Member
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Competition Edition

Garage List
Idc about what everyone thinks about this car, but its going to be one sexy beast
Appreciate 3
JustinHEMI7405.50
Ronin76587.00
      05-10-2022, 01:14 PM   #66
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
And for very good reasons. However I never had problems with Yokos, they've been some of the better non Michelins I've had in the past. A lot better than my experience with Contis for example.

As for Michelins, I never had a Michelin street tire go bad by itself in over 30+ years and I always experienced an upgrade when swapping out delivery tires of other brands. Yep, I'm a fan however should I buy an M2 and get Yokos I'll happily drive them to the threads before swapping to PSXS, same if I get Pirellis but if the car come with Contis, they'll go in the trash were they belong.
Michelin tires have a certain unique characteristic and once you've experienced it you're really hooked and not even remotely interested in driving on a different brand of tire
m20e30871143.00
solstice5456.50
T_U_D6669.00