home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

05-11-2022, 04:02 PM   #111
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M3CS

Yeah, on the 240's it that vertical line behind the front wheels make it look like a photoshop where they stretched the front end at that point. Will reserve judgement, wider tracks could eliminate that look - who knows.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 04:49 PM   #112
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Camo padding and/or design of the aero protruding. Look how deep set the kidneys are here vs. the M240i pictured at the top of the G87 forum page. It does not look like it is too much weight hanging out far in front of the front axle.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 09:00 PM   #113
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Tranceparent. View Post
Anyone think the nose looks a little too long on the car when viewed from the side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
Yes I'm a little worried. I pointed that out earlier as well. Hoping that it turns out to look okay when fully revealed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Tranceparent. View Post
Yeah, on the 240's it that vertical line behind the front wheels make it look like a photoshop where they stretched the front end at that point. Will reserve judgement, wider tracks could eliminate that look - who knows.
That's why the designers gave the G42 a power dome on the hood. It's suppose to break it up by giving it a stepped hood profile. I think the G87 with its flared fenders and the addition of the M fender gills will look better than the G42. I'm not worried it'll look bad and as a bonus having a longer hood means they can place the engine further back, closer to the center of the car for better weight balance.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 10:12 PM   #114
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I did a little research on your comment because it peaked my curiosity and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see any signs of a manual handbrake with a physical lever on the Vantage model, just mentions of e-brake system.
Ha. Thanks. I know your curiosity is insatiable. Mine is an '18, smaller, lighter, prettier and more raw than the replacement hence why I got it. Hang on, I think I have a theme going here.

Handbrake is beautiful to look at but it is next to the door sill. Hence why I love hill start assist as it's a 6 speed manual. You do have to do your own throttle blips though. I like that too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Moflow2484.50
Poochie9103.00
      05-12-2022, 01:35 AM   #115
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
I did a little research on your comment because it peaked my curiosity and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see any signs of a manual handbrake with a physical lever on the Vantage model, just mentions of e-brake system.
Ha. Thanks. I know your curiosity is insatiable. Mine is an '18, smaller, lighter, prettier and more raw than the replacement hence why I got it. Hang on, I think I have a theme going here.

Handbrake is beautiful to look at but it is next to the door sill. Hence why I love hill start assist as it's a 6 speed manual. You do have to do your own throttle blips though. I like that too.

Ohh, that's certainly interesting and I believe a first..

I guess when they charge three times the cost of a M2, the bean-counters would easily rubber-stamp rear fixed caliper with the additional clamp, on a e-brakes - and even add a manual handbrake lever, just for good measure…

The handbrake placement is odd for a left-hand driver who is accustomed to it being in the center but like the thought that went into the ergonomics..

The independent brake hold mini-caliper makes sense as an extra safety measure in emergency braking.

The V12 Vantage mated to a manual transmission is modern deviant machine and would be my first choice. Even if the V8 is engineered to runs more efficiently. It's all about the boldness in that combo for me.. 😎
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 10:12 AM   #116
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

Quote:
LOL, it's all good bro, never mind my shit-talking, speak your mind; your money, your choice..

However, I really believe it boils down to the Benjamins..

Reading between the lines of the video I linked, the BMW engineer stated that they didn't want to spend the resources to design a proper caliper from scratch, since there wasn't yet available on the market that they could simple grab off the shelf that works in conjunction with e-brakes and just throw it on..

Personally, I believe it's a cop-out, considering what they charge per vehicle but it's what it is..
I mean, it's not like Brembo doesn't already have multiple setups that could easily be adapted, and would out perform BMW's brakes right off the shelf. They certainly don't have to spend the extra time and money to develop it themselves. I'd say cost was perhaps an acceptable excuse up until the F8X was released. Those rotors/calipers didn't cost much less than a 911 steel rotor/red caliper, and people would gladly pay the appox. $1,000 more to get a true big brake setup on an ///M car.
Dabozo624.50
      05-12-2022, 02:53 PM   #117
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
Quote:
LOL, it's all good bro, never mind my shit-talking, speak your mind; your money, your choice..

However, I really believe it boils down to the Benjamins..

Reading between the lines of the video I linked, the BMW engineer stated that they didn't want to spend the resources to design a proper caliper from scratch, since there wasn't yet available on the market that they could simple grab off the shelf that works in conjunction with e-brakes and just throw it on..

Personally, I believe it's a cop-out, considering what they charge per vehicle but it's what it is..
I mean, it's not like Brembo doesn't already have multiple setups that could easily be adapted, and would out perform BMW's brakes right off the shelf. They certainly don't have to spend the extra time and money to develop it themselves. I'd say cost was perhaps an acceptable excuse up until the F8X was released. Those rotors/calipers didn't cost much less than a 911 steel rotor/red caliper, and people would gladly pay the appox. $1,000 more to get a true big brake setup on an ///M car.

Yea well, if they decided to put some baby dick rear floating calipers on their new flashship M car, the M5, M8 and even the M4 CSL and where fully aware of questionable appearance, it had to come down to cost because expenses aside, a second clamp works as good failsafe, in case the main brakes fail. That adds to the safety of the vehicle.

It was engineering decision to stay within budget, for a return that might not of amortize. When saying, I'm sure the floating calipers works just as fine.

Sad because with electric cars being their next frontier, physical braking is not as a heavy necessity for stopping due to energy regeneration. So we might never see true rear fixed brakes on a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 02:59 PM   #118
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:

Ohh, that's certainly interesting and I believe a first..

I guess when they charge three times the cost of a M2, the bean-counters would easily rubber-stamp rear fixed caliper with the additional clamp, on a e-brakes - and even add a manual handbrake lever, just for good measure…

The handbrake placement is odd for a left-hand driver who is accustomed to it being in the center but like the thought that went into the ergonomics..

The independent brake hold mini-caliper makes sense as an extra safety measure in emergency braking.

The V12 Vantage mated to a manual transmission is modern deviant machine and would be my first choice. Even if the V8 is engineered to runs more efficiently. It's all about the boldness in that combo for me.. 😎
Davil's Vantage nor my road V12 Vantage has an EPB…it wasn't offered for that generation.

The auxiliary sliding caliper is for the Parking Brake which is Hand operated (rather than foot or electrical) and is quite sketchy TBH. It has absolutely nothing to do with Hill Start Assist (my road V12 Vantage doesn't even have that function).
Appreciate 3
Poochie9103.00
Davil6464.50
JTO245271.50
      05-12-2022, 04:17 PM   #119
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Davil's Vantage nor my road V12 Vantage has an EPB…it wasn't offered for that generation.

The auxiliary sliding caliper is for the Parking Brake which is Hand operated (rather than foot or electrical) and is quite sketchy TBH. It has absolutely nothing to do with Hill Start Assist (my road V12 Vantage doesn't even have that function).
What was the reason for them ditching the drum style parking brake? Was there some EU regulation that mandated it be electrical or is this just one more gimmick that other manufacturers were doing and BMW didn't want to be left behind?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:05 PM   #120
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post

What was the reason for them ditching the drum style parking brake? Was there some EU regulation that mandated it be electrical or is this just one more gimmick that other manufacturers were doing and BMW didn't want to be left behind?
Smaller Hat = more available space to increase the annulus without a corresponding increase in disc diameter. Reduces the unsprung mass by eliminating a secondary brake system on the rear axle and moves the rotational mass closer towards the axis of rotation.

G8x rear discs are the equivalent of a 405mm diameter rear disc on a F8x but have better cooling properties and only 380mm OD.
Appreciate 5
Tag18118.00
Poochie9103.00
Davil6464.50
JTO245271.50
somer950.50
      05-12-2022, 08:26 PM   #121
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Other than looks, can someone explain to me the objections over the floating rear calipers?

They are ghastly, I get that.
For me, brake caliper appearance is irrelevant. Ideally they should all be black or grey so you don’t notice them at all especially when they are covered in brake dust.

The floating rear arrangement with incorporated e-pb function makes it much more difficult to swap track pads in, and go back to street pads. I can do this in 20min all around on the F80.

On my F25 X3 which has the e-parking brake I made a mess when I tried to change rear pads. Broke a couple of bolts trying to remove the caliper, etc. Perhaps I didn’t have the correct procedure down right, but even if you do, it will be harder to swap pads.

What BMW could do is have a tiered brake option: $2k for upgraded fixed caliper irons, and $8k for ceramics. There is enough space to stagger these options price-wise…

People who say the G80 brakes are good enough just aren’t going fast enough on track. You still need track pads.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 2
JustinHEMI7438.00
Tag18118.00
      05-13-2022, 04:22 PM   #122
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Can someone educate me on the "floating caliper" thing?
Appreciate 1
Davil6464.50
      05-14-2022, 06:24 AM   #123
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
The V12 is certainly a machine and I can see the appeal. Balance is off though. The last iteration of the V8 is king for me. Nothing sounds like a V8 and the chassis balance is spectacular. Yes the Aston has longer gearing compared to the CS but when you hit the high revs it presses all the buttons. It's bloody quick. Not as insane as the CS but it delivers. You also never feel the weight on the front wheels like CS and V12. It's joyous. CS is probably faster point to point. I have no idea which I love more. Just happy I have them both.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
      05-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #124
Stunad
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Floating caliper setup has only 1 piston on one side of the brake disc.
When a floating caliper's piston engages the opposite side needs to "float" against the brake disc to apply pressure.
Fixed caliper has pistons on both sides.
Appreciate 5
      05-14-2022, 09:50 AM   #125
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

I believe a floating caliper also allows you to run a more negative wheel offset too. There is slightly more clearance between the caliper and wheel spoke.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #126
Vojta89
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
This is floating caliper
[IMG]https://tonupboys.com/wp-content/upl...-Cutaway-A.gif[/IMG]

This is fixed caliper
[IMG]https://tonupboys.com/wp-content/upl...sc-Brake-A.gif[/IMG]
Appreciate 8
Davil6464.50
Frosty777.00
atl_1M1520.00
amdmaxx119.00
      05-15-2022, 04:45 PM   #127
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Wow, so they went from 240/265 to this tire width. Awesome. Seriously considering picking up an M2. Is it conceivable this is the last 6 cylinder M car? 2030 seems like so far away at this degradation rate of ICE. I'm hoping this is relatively close to 3500 lbs (although doubt it) and that it shares chassis and other dynamics reminiscent of the E46. Need some nostalgia!
Appreciate 1
m20e30871143.00
      05-18-2022, 07:56 PM   #128
Ejones4541
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejones4541 View Post
Oh dear God…another Civic/Subaru style deck lid spoiler.

For realz.. 🙌

They apparently feel that the target demographic for this vehicle is the midlife crisis crowd or those young at heart.. Cause I can't imagine many 20 somethings have the resources to obtain one of these vehicles..

I just hope that shit is not standard or else l'll park my car in the hood and get the wing stolen in a few hours.. Good riddance ✌🏻

I'm sure people said the same thing about the E36 LTW when it came out. And look at how many people are putting replicas of that wing on their cars. I'd reserve judgment till we see the final product.
Those are people wanting others to think they own something unique and rare…something only the VIN can dispute. No different than wearing knock-off shoes or clothes.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 05:38 PM   #129
Xspeedracer
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [10.00]
So the fixed caliper takes up more space behind the wheel and weighs more than sliding caliper they can both have issues with the cups sticking in the bores causing uneven braking. The fixed caliper will be more expensive to replace. The sliding caliper has sliding pins that get stuck and can cause uneven braking and pulling and will need more maintenance since 80% of the braking is done by the front it doesn't make a really big difference in the type of rear caliper other than weight and wheel fitment they will both incorporate some kind of electronic parking brake the floating caliper will be the lighter way to go in that aspect
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 01:35 PM   #130
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Unfortunately it won't get the Michelin Pilot Sport 5S. BMW starts working with tire manufacturers soon after the start of a project and all throughout driving and track testing to refine them. Since the MPS5S wasn't available at the start of the project the G87 will not get them. You can look at the F87 as an example, it came with MPSS and that was the official OE tire throughout the life of the car, including the Competition model.

I know it sucks, but the MPS4S is still a great tire... if you get them, lol.
In Yoorup, the M2 came with MPSS and Continentals...
Appreciate 0