03-31-2022, 07:50 AM   #1
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Availability of allocations?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I have been scouring dealers within a reasonable drive for an M240, trying to find one willing to deal at MSRP *and* with a scheduled allocation.

Through my research I have found a CA in a neighboring state who claims to have an allocation scheduled for week 14 .. next week, priced at sticker and with anticipated delivery in "about a month".

Is this too good to be true / am I being told what I want to hear?

Is there a polite way (i.e. without questioning the CA's integrity) to verify that the allocation is truly available to me and is scheduled for wk14 production?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 07:55 AM   #2
PNW240
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i, Subaru Legacy

CarsAndGuitars Judging by others' posts on the timeline thread, that's not a realistic delivery estimate if the car is not already in / through production.

CA is probably telling you exactly what they see, but that doesn't equate to reality right now.

You could reference forum posts on delays, and ask if they've seen those impact their other allocations for reference. That's what I did for options when my CA told me adaptive cruise was not available.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 08:03 AM   #3
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW240 View Post
CarsAndGuitars Judging by others' posts on the timeline thread, that's not a realistic delivery estimate if the car is not already in / through production.

CA is probably telling you exactly what they see, but that doesn't equate to reality right now.

You could reference forum posts on delays, and ask if they've seen those impact their other allocations for reference. That's what I did for options when my CA told me adaptive cruise was not available.
Thanks, yes I realize the delivery timeframe may be ambitious. My concern is whether it is "salesmanship" for allocation to still be available only days before its scheduled production, and how to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 08:09 AM   #4
PNW240
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i, Subaru Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
Thanks, yes I realize the delivery timeframe may be ambitious. My concern is whether it is "salesmanship" for allocation to still be available only days before its scheduled production, and how to confirm.
If they're offering you the allocation, it's almost certainly still available. I had a $1000 refundable deposit down to secure that allocation as mine which seems to be common but not mandatory.

Salesmanship comes into play if they're aware of these common delays and not being open about them, especially when asked point blank.

If you press them on timeline, and they stick to that 1 month delivery I would be hesitant to work with that individual. Mine was very open about potential delays, parts shortages, etc during ordering.

Good luck on your search!
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2022, 10:47 AM   #5
Cklam1209
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 230i

Quote:
My opinion, that dealer already build their car for themself. it had allocation before and still waitting for production begin at week14. they know that like any customer already placed order few weeks/months ago (me either). If u want to order from them, they just change every option u want to that slot, but the question is when they changed or add more option, will schedule day delay more longer, idk ?? 🤣

i've ask them to add more option for my car, but saleguy dont know it will delay or not ... So i just keep everything the same. I've seen some people here said they changed/add option and their schedule move more +4 weeks

Last edited by Cklam1209; 03-31-2022 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 11:37 AM   #6
marcsg42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cklam1209 View Post
My opinion, that dealer already build their car for themself. it had allocation before and still waitting for production begin at week14. they know that like any customer already placed order few weeks/months ago (me either). If u want to order from them, they just change every option u want to that slot, but the question is when they changed or add more option, will schedule day delay more longer, idk ?? 🤣

i've ask them to add more option for my car, but saleguy dont know it will delay or not ... So i just keep everything the same. I've seen some people here said they changed/add option and their schedule move more +4 weeks
I changed my order 24hr before it started production and did not effect anything,I had all season tires selected till I found out it lowers top speed to 130 so I switched tire on my order to performance tires for 155 mph top speed and I literally did it hours before it started if it’s in code 112 you can still make changes shouldn’t affect the timeline to much
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2022, 12:19 PM   #7
Cklam1209
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsg42 View Post
I changed my order 24hr before it started production and did not effect anything,I had all season tires selected till I found out it lowers top speed to 130 so I switched tire on my order to performance tires for 155 mph top speed and I literally did it hours before it started if it’s in code 112 you can still make changes shouldn’t affect the timeline to much
Yeah good point. I want to add Harman kardon and im still in 112. Saler said he can change anytime before it goes 150 but he doesnt know will it effect or not, maybe i will add HK today🤣

About your tires, i live in Chicago, i think this place is alot of snow in winter, so i need 4 season tires. How do u think summer non-runflat effect much accelation ?? I dont care much about top speed 😅
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 12:36 PM   #8
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah good point. I want to add Harman kardon and im still in 112. Saler said he can change anytime before it goes 150 but he doesnt know will it effect or not, maybe i will add HK today🤣

About your tires, i live in Chicago, i think this place is alot of snow in winter, so i need 4 season tires. How do u think summer non-runflat effect much accelation ?? I dont care much about top speed 😅
I live in FL now, but spent 50+ years in NY winters. Please avoid running summer tires below 40, and definitely not in snow. Either swap to dedicated winter tires or get a performance A/S
Appreciate 1
yanks1484.00
      03-31-2022, 12:56 PM   #9
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

You will have no trouble finding allocations if you look elsewhere from your preferred dealer. These are not M cars. If you live in high volume areas like the bay area for example, your local dealer probably has allocations.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 01:01 PM   #10
Cklam1209
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I live in FL now, but spent 50+ years in NY winters. Please avoid running summer tires below 40, and definitely not in snow. Either swap to dedicated winter tires or get a performance A/S
I forgot mention, i order 230i with RWD + 4 season runflat. Does it good for me winter snow ? I used to drive C300 4WD 4 season in 3 years, and winter doesn't matter to me at all (i drive slowly in winter) 🤣
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 01:07 PM   #11
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I forgot mention, i order 230i with RWD + 4 season runflat. Does it good for me winter snow ? I used to drive C300 4WD 4 season in 3 years, and winter doesn't matter to me at all (i drive slowly in winter) ��
Generally speaking, All-season / 4 season tires with AWD are fine for the occasional whiteout, "passable" for moderate snow, but more useless with increased icing or snowfall depth.

I had a 6 cyl 2011 Mustang (~300hp RWD) that was absolutely treacherous in the slightest coating with the factory A/S (non rft of course). But once I installed a set of Michelin X-Ice winter tires it was game changing.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 01:24 PM   #12
Cklam1209
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Generally speaking, All-season / 4 season tires with AWD are fine for the occasional whiteout, "passable" for moderate snow, but more useless with increased icing or snowfall depth.

I had a 6 cyl 2011 Mustang (~300hp RWD) that was absolutely treacherous in the slightest coating with the factory A/S (non rft of course). But once I installed a set of Michelin X-Ice winter tires it was game changing.
Ok ill try with 4 season first, lets see what happen, hope nothing to crazy because i dont want to swap tires 2 times every year 😅
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 02:32 PM   #13
wspalding
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok ill try with 4 season first, lets see what happen, hope nothing to crazy because i dont want to swap tires 2 times every year 😅
I bought a hydraulic jack and change wheels/tires late Fall and in the Spring. It’s about a half hour of labor but worth it for summer performance tires,
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 03:05 PM   #14
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, so as it turned out, the allocation was not available after all. Oh well. I continue to wait for my turn to wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 04:15 PM   #15
jbazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 30i , 1990 Miata Turbo

Sorry to hear, but it sounds like you have the right approach.
Appreciate 1