03-22-2023, 08:06 AM   #1
zero21
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 sold

Real Bucket Seats

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Looking at the best bucket seat option for us HEA folks: does anyone have experience with this? Should provide more than the weight savings of the factory option in just one seat. Only downside is not being able to fold it for rear passenger loading.

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...caro-podium-cf
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:10 AM   #2
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero21 View Post
Looking at the best bucket seat option for us HEA folks: does anyone have experience with this? Should provide more than the weight savings of the factory option in just one seat. Only downside is not being able to fold it for rear passenger loading.

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...caro-podium-cf

You will be sooooo uncomfortable in that. Recaro does make some really good seats that have comfort but also weight reducing. Not all will be available on their website as some are exclusively offered to their retailers. Find an authorized Recaro dealer near you and see what they have that is available. You can alao check out Sparco.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:16 AM   #3
zero21
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
You will be sooooo uncomfortable in that. Recaro does make some really good seats that have comfort but also weight reducing. Not all will be available on their website as some are exclusively offered to their retailers. Find an authorized Recaro dealer near you and see what they have that is available. You can alao check out Sparco.
Did you look at the 3D view? It has inch thick padding in all the necessary places. The factory carbon seats aren't exactly thrilling to sit in and are full of electric idiocy.

So my point here is weight savings and support for spirited drives/on-track. I don't envision myself living with something like this 24/7 long term but I do have some things I'd like to talk about regarding realistic options.

If I could buy the M4CSL manual buckets I would but of course no one will sell them including BMW. The electric carbon seats are an iffy proposition to me especially since you can't retro-fit them. But I want an OEM solution so something high-end won't kill the car from a "tuner" perspective. Does that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:20 AM   #4
Carefree
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Did you look at the 3D view? It has inch thick padding in all the necessary places. The factory carbon seats aren't exactly thrilling to sit in and are full of electric idiocy.

So my point here is weight savings and support for spirited drives/on-track. I don't envision myself living with something like this 24/7 long term but I do have some things I'd like to talk about regarding realistic options.

If I could buy the M4CSL manual buckets I would but of course no one will sell them including BMW. The electric carbon seats are an iffy proposition to me especially since you can't retro-fit them. But I want an OEM solution so something high-end won't kill the car from a "tuner" perspective.
It’s important to take comments like his with a grain of salt. As Paul Simon sang, “one man’s ceiling is another man’s floor”.
Appreciate 1
zero213247.50
      03-22-2023, 08:24 AM   #5
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

If I could buy the M4CSL manual buckets I would but of course no one will sell them including BMW. The electric carbon seats are an iffy proposition to me especially since you can't retro-fit them. But I want an OEM solution so something high-end won't kill the car from a "tuner" perspective.

I dont have to look at the 3D pictures, I have sat in them before. Those are glorified race seats, not something you want for an everyday driver (I wouldn't even use them for a weekend fun car). You are truly being mesmerized by every ounce to be cut. You can save qeight and still be comfortable and stylish with seats and if really trying to save weight, do a rear seat delete, cf hood and decklid (it wont take long till they are available), get real lightweight rims (not BMW rims). If you truly want to save weight, and sacrifice a bit of strength, you can go for carbon or magnesium rims.

With Recaro and Sparco seats, keep in mind it may take a good installer/fabricator to make sure the sensors work for the airbags and seat belts (especially if using the racing harnesses...which would require the rear bar or mounts installed).
Appreciate 1
zero213247.50
      03-22-2023, 08:26 AM   #6
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
It’s important to take comments like his with a grain of salt. As Paul Simon sang, “one man’s ceiling is another man’s floor”.

Right back at ya...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:39 AM   #7
zero21
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I dont have to look at the 3D pictures, I have sat in them before. Those are glorified race seats, not something you want for an everyday driver (I wouldn't even use them for a weekend fun car). You are truly being mesmerized by every ounce to be cut. You can save qeight and still be comfortable and stylish with seats and if really trying to save weight, do a rear seat delete, cf hood and decklid (it wont take long till they are available), get real lightweight rims (not BMW rims). If you truly want to save weight, and sacrifice a bit of strength, you can go for carbon or magnesium rims.

With Recaro and Sparco seats, keep in mind it may take a good installer/fabricator to make sure the sensors work for the airbags and seat belts (especially if using the racing harnesses...which would require the rear bar or mounts installed).
Installation issues noted - thank you for the feedback. Maybe I'll put a seat swap on hold for a while.

Edit: Self-check moment, I'm probably fretting the weight issue way too much. I'll go back to the drawing board on my OEM+ ideas. Maybe even do the CSL strut bar instead of aftermarket...I want to remain as much OEM as possible. I would even consider the exhaust if it was a touch cheaper and didn't look stupid.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2023, 08:45 AM   #8
Carefree
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right back at ya...
Original thinker on board.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:56 AM   #9
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Installation issues noted - thank you for the feedback. Maybe I'll put a seat swap on hold for a while.

Edit: Self-check moment, I'm probably fretting the weight issue way too much. I'll go back to the drawing board on my OEM+ ideas. Maybe even do the CSL strut bar instead of aftermarket...I want to remain as much OEM as possible. I would even consider the exhaust if it was a touch cheaper and didn't look stupid.

Akrapovoc will have a titanium replacement exhaust in what will feel like no time. Will look the same but weight saving and perform better. Will be pricey as hell but...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:59 AM   #10
zero21
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Akrapovoc will have a titanium replacement exhaust in what will feel like no time. Will look the same but weight saving and perform better. Will be pricey as hell but...
If it's not equal length I won't consider it
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:13 AM   #11
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, I saw one my friend did on a 2022 M3. Looked 100% stock except for the tips.

See for the MY23 G42 M240:

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...228&lineId=all
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:14 AM   #12
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Original thinker on board.

And you add so much to the conversation.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:21 AM   #13
Carefree
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And you add so much to the conversation.
More originality or are you getting assistance?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:26 AM   #14
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

If you needed the buckets, waiting would've been the better move. You'll likely have to wait for an aftermarket source as well.
      03-22-2023, 09:28 AM   #15
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
More originality or are you getting assistance?

Dont know what hair you got up your a$$ today...but no, I dont need assistance to respond to moronic posts like yous.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:32 AM   #16
zero21
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
If you needed the buckets, waiting would've been the better move. You'll likely have to wait for an aftermarket source as well.
Yeah I have been on the fence about it. Ultimately April delivery vs August delivery + my wife's comfort = foregoing the factory option.

It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:33 AM   #17
Carefree
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dont know what hair you got up your a$$ today...but no, I dont need assistance to respond to moronic posts like yous.
LOL lightweight.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:35 AM   #18
zero21
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
LOL lightweight.
You two
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:40 AM   #19
Carefree
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You two
Wrong guy. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:50 AM   #20
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

These are the Recaros I had in one of my prior cars (they were a limited edition anniversary release)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-22-2023, 09:55 AM   #21
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
These are the Recaros I had in one of my prior cars (they were a limited edition anniversary release)

Sorry for the sideways picture. They were super comfortable and functional. Not as light as the cf padded race seats but lighter than stock. Was able to utilize both the stock seat belts and had the race harness. Was truly a bitch to get fitted and where everything worked properly.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 10:42 AM   #22
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Valvetronic will have something very quickly.