F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
proTUNING Freaks

02-21-2024, 08:27 PM   #12871
Slippery Shaman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I got this MMI box and while it works, it pulls up CarPlay 19/20 times without an issue, the audio quality going through bluetooth / now the AUX is pretty bad, which is disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 12:13 PM   #12872
blakic
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 & MX-5 ND

I've got an issue regarding my G30 10.25 display. I upgraded from an 8.8" screen and coded the new screen. The iDrive works fine (including touchscreen). But if I switch to my Roadtop MMI box the display gets black. If I change to my old 8.8" display, the MMI works fine again (the iDrive of course not since I had to code another screen). I already tried to restart the MMI (Back-button press) and the iDrive (Mute button), but it didn't change anything. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 12:28 PM   #12873
blakic
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 & MX-5 ND

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakic View Post
I've got an issue regarding my G30 10.25 display. I upgraded from an 8.8" screen and coded the new screen. The iDrive works fine (including touchscreen). But if I switch to my Roadtop MMI box the display gets black. If I change to my old 8.8" display, the MMI works fine again (the iDrive of course not since I had to code another screen). I already tried to restart the MMI (Back-button press) and the iDrive (Mute button), but it didn't change anything. Any suggestions?
I found the error maybe, since I had to code a higher resolution I have also to switch an extra toggle on the MMI. I will try that and report.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 03:03 PM   #12874
LOLMEE
Rep
Drives: E82

Road top Unit for bmw e82 135i can someone explain what is the CP High speed can for? On diagram dosnt stay connected
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:16 AM   #12875
cnicklo
Rep
Drives: 2000 528it (5MT)

You need to ensure you are connected via Bluetooth to the car via the BMW setup as well as via CarPlay to the RoadTop box. . .then you should have volume when navigating etc. . . I missed this as well when I first installed.

Hope this is your issue and that it helps to get it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagncola View Post
As far as i know, the audio seetings for volume currently only working for Aux not for bluetooth connection. Please correct me, if i am wrong. Siri should be ok if you use the command "hey siri" (iphone micro is used / increase without connection to the car the volume on the iphone during siri conversation) . If the button on the wheel or the idrive is used, siri is low volume.

Have the same issue with some navigation apps, commands are very silent and no idea to fix. Music is playing and will be quieter but the navigation sound is on the same quite level as the music.
Using RoadTop mmi Evo ID6 with ER176 and MCU 23.4.13.117
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 11:33 AM   #12876
hagncola
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 (12/2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnicklo View Post
You need to ensure you are connected via Bluetooth to the car via the BMW setup as well as via CarPlay to the RoadTop box. . .then you should have volume when navigating etc. . . I missed this as well when I first installed.

Hope this is your issue and that it helps to get it fixed.
The sound for Navi, Siri and Music i can hear, but more or less no difference in volume level during the navigation commands which is hard to understand. Or the music goes silent but the navi commands in the same silet level -- depends on the navi software.

On Aux, the music goes silent and the navi voice is clear and loud, the same as for Siri.

In the meanwhile i have coded Aux on Evo ID6 (no USB connect anymore needed) and the sound is compared to bluetooth 99 percent the same. All is fine, and all keys on the wheel does work as expected.

After some time finetuning the phone sound on calls is great too on carplay without any echo the last days.

Last edited by hagncola; 02-23-2024 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 02:35 PM   #12877
MMcoding
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakic View Post

Change dip switch to

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 02:18 AM   #12878
tonyec7
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Does anyone know what would cause audio to only sound on the right side of the car? I've tried moving the cables around but it still persists. Only happens when carplay is connected. With regular radio/bluetooth/internal media it sounds normal.

Where could I buy a new LVDS cable
      02-24-2024, 09:40 PM   #12879
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotmaster206 View Post
I haven't had that issue - the two disable audio sinks worked for me. My problem is that my Andream unit is competing with my AAWireless unit to grab the Android Auto connection wirelessly, and it usually wins. When it does win, the bluetooth will come in/out as the AAWireless unit tries to connect to my phone that is already connected to the Andream unit. It's infuriating. I tried connecting only to the AAWireless unit and then turning off the option to connect to new stuff in my Android settings but that hasn't fixed it.

One of two things would fix this, I think:
1) A setting in Andream to shut down all wireless connection (why doesn't this exist??)

2) A setting in Andream that would do the same thing that AAWireless does, which is disable audio sinks. It already has the option to route phone calls to your regular bluetooth, why not just do it for all audio? This would be vastly better than the current Aux audio connection it uses.

Anyone have any idea if either of these are possible? Or other fixes I'm not seeing?
Just came across this post and not sure if you've since found the solution. But my Samsung S21FE allows me to block the mmi's bluetooth, or any bluetooth paring request for that matter, so that it will never pair with it and never launch the mmi's native wireless AA.

Keep your phone in the settings > connected devices screen. When the mmi attempts to connect to the phone you get a pop-up box asking you to pair, block, or cancel. Select block.

I'm also using AAWireless with my Carlinkit mmi since the native wireless hardware in my mmi seemed to be breaking.

Last edited by muniz_ri; 02-24-2024 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 05:26 AM   #12880
hagncola
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any info which video formats (.avi, .xvid, .mkv ....) are supported and which filesystem(s) on the USB Stick ? How to deal with big files if only Fat32 is supported ?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:52 AM   #12881
sabifa
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MPPSK

Regarding the poorer audio quality via AUX, I have found the following video:

It shows that you can set the audio output via Bluetooth (after updating the MMI box). In the vehicle, the cell phone BT must then be selected as the audio source instead of AUX.

Has anyone tested this and can report whether it improves the audio quality so it matches OEM?

Android Auto for Google Maps navigation really appeals to me, but due to the degradation in audio quality, I've always stayed away of the MMI box so far.
Appreciate 1
fe7565556.50
      02-26-2024, 03:18 AM   #12882
LOLMEE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabifa View Post
Regarding the poorer audio quality via AUX, I have found the following video:

It shows that you can set the audio output via Bluetooth (after updating the MMI box). In the vehicle, the cell phone BT must then be selected as the audio source instead of AUX.

Has anyone tested this and can report whether it improves the audio quality so it matches OEM?

Android Auto for Google Maps navigation really appeals to me, but due to the degradation in audio quality, I've always stayed away of the MMI box so far.
Hey, i installed the box last Friday ( Road Top ) and yes i can confirm it, the audio is way way way better than aux in that version .
Appreciate 3
sabifa1.50
fe7565556.50
      02-26-2024, 06:32 AM   #12883
PGH_X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xdrive50i M Sport

This is the mega thread on these units. There are many posts on the HK hack described above use BT in this very thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 10:54 AM   #12884
sabifa
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MPPSK

Okay I've just scrolled through the last ~100 pages and saw that a lot of you are using the bluetooth method successfully.

A few more questions:
1. Would you say that this sounds just as good as OEM or is there still a bit of sound degradation? Is the quality the same as if I directly connect my phone to the iDrive via BT? That way I could check before buying the MMI box if the audio quality is good enough.
2. Are phone calls made via carplay/android auto or via iDrive? (where do you answer them?)
3. With Android Auto, does the voice activation button on the steering wheel activate Google Assistant or iDrive voice assistant?
4. Is someone that kind to post a few photos how Android Auto currently looks on the 8.8" screen? I'm interested to see how much of Google Maps you can see in splitscreen vs fullscreen mode.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 01:58 PM   #12885
hagncola
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabifa View Post
Okay I've just scrolled through the last ~100 pages and saw that a lot of you are using the bluetooth method successfully.

A few more questions:
1. Would you say that this sounds just as good as OEM or is there still a bit of sound degradation? Is the quality the same as if I directly connect my phone to the iDrive via BT? That way I could check before buying the MMI box if the audio quality is good enough.
2. Are phone calls made via carplay/android auto or via iDrive? (where do you answer them?)
3. With Android Auto, does the voice activation button on the steering wheel activate Google Assistant or iDrive voice assistant?
4. Is someone that kind to post a few photos how Android Auto currently looks on the 8.8" screen? I'm interested to see how much of Google Maps you can see in splitscreen vs fullscreen mode.

Thanks guys!
I only can talk for carplay, but some points should be same. As soon as the phone is connected to idrive for phonecalls and for music the sound quality is the same, because it´s connected to idrive. More or less the mmi box is only used for the carplay screen. On my EVO ID6 i have some disadvantages on this connection. Siri does not work from the wheel (Hey Siri and long press idrive button works). The phone button on the wheel does not open the phone app on carplay anymore because it´s "linked" to the OEM phone (works as until now). All the phone stuff should be done on the oem system not in carplay. The volume settings on the mmi does not work anymore to have for music, siri and navi extra volume levels and some other little things.

I use aux coded on the mainunit and it works perfect for sound compared to bluetooth and disabled the oem bluetooth. Now all is working without any issue and disadvantages. If you dont know that mmi box is installed, it feels as OEM carplay.
The only point, you can not use the shortcut´s 1,2,3... for phone numbers and sometimes on the intrument cluster short messages, example during using the scroll wheel on the strearing wheel (typical messages if Aux is used)

I don´t know if for Android Auto all the same "problems" comes up.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 07:47 AM   #12886
Homer85
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Hi everyone!

This post is incredible, thanks to all of you! But unfortunately I still couldn't find the right file.

I am using a Road Top MMI Box in my F31, also a MatchUp7 (which I already had before installing the box) but of course the sound quality now is sooooo bad. I had my MatchUp7 set up by a pro which is all gone now thanks to the box...

Can someone direct me to the right firmware for my box to get Bluetooth Audio instead of Aux? Talking to Road Top is kind of difficult...

SDK Version: 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
CUST Version: B2R169R3
MCU Version: 22-10.10.110
HW Version: B_N2_1_G

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Homer85; 02-27-2024 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 06:42 PM   #12887
Jakeinaka
Private
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 20i

Hi all, does anyone have experience with the latest CIC andream box SKU: EWM-BMCP-CIC10M?
I've been using EW-BMCP-CIC10G for 3 years curious to know what improvements there are besides the addition of HDMI.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 11:17 PM   #12888
hagncola
Enlisted Member
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer85 View Post
Hi everyone!

This post is incredible, thanks to all of you! But unfortunately I still couldn't find the right file.

I am using a Road Top MMI Box in my F31, also a MatchUp7 (which I already had before installing the box) but of course the sound quality now is sooooo bad. I had my MatchUp7 set up by a pro which is all gone now thanks to the box...

Can someone direct me to the right firmware for my box to get Bluetooth Audio instead of Aux? Talking to Road Top is kind of difficult...

SDK Version: 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
CUST Version: B2R169R3
MCU Version: 22-10.10.110
HW Version: B_N2_1_G

Thanks in advance!

The support from RoadTop is great, i wrote for you a simple Whatsapp with picture of your current version (phone number for whatsapp is written in the manual) and enclose the last firmware B2R176.
Update on your own risk

Road Top: Hello.Pls check this
Road Top: Here is the software update file:https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=drive_link

1. Prepare an empty 8GB USB flash drive (or smaller than 8GB) and format to FAT32
2. UNZIP the file first, copy"GEMINI_PACK.BIN"and "ISPBOOOOT.BIN" file onto the root directory of the USB drive
3. Connect the usb drive to the decoder box.'Setup' ->'Software Update' -> password 8032 -> 'System Update ISPBOOOT.BIN', then the update will start. Wait untill the update is done.

Last edited by hagncola; 02-28-2024 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 02:09 PM   #12889
LOLMEE
Rep

Road Top unit cant connect again Android Auto it appears a message saying .

Android Auto cannot connect right now
When its safe to do so
Please check Android Phone

It worked last days but now its dosnt connect to it. Wireless and bluethoot works
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 09:13 AM   #12890
Donny85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d

Hi all,

I'm in the UK, there's loads of info on how to approach this if you're in the US, so thought I'd share my recent MMI box experience. I've got an F32 with NBT iDrive 4.

I purchased a RoadTop from Amazon - cost £250 but decided to buy from Amazon as if there was problems, I knew that I'd have no issue with a return. So for me, this was worth the extra £30 compared to buying from an independent.

When I opened the box, i was surprised to find that it had the HDMI input (so basically it's the BimmerTech MMI Pro) and had the following software:
CUST: B2R174
MCU: 23.8.7.121
HW: B_N2_1_G

I followed the Kies motorsport video to install (
) and put the MMI box in the gap next to the glovebox as shown. My glovebox had a blanking plate at the back for a USB socket, so removed the plate and ran the MMI usb cable through the hole.

It's worth sharing that my car doesn't have the airbag under the glovebox, but does have a side panel to enable/disable the passenger airbag - removed the side panel in the same way as shown in the video, and unclipped the plug (when I reconnected everything, a dash error appeared saying that I had an airbag fault, but this disappeared after driving for a couple of minutes).

I didn't need to connect the mic cable or the aux cable. I connected the wifi cable and stuck the antenna to the backside of the dash behind the dash trim. I have an OEM reverse camera, so didn't need to wire one up.

The hardest part was getting the NBT head unit back into the car - it's big, and there's not much space for the wires, but with a bit of fiddling the head unit eventually slid back into place. All in, took me 2hrs to fit and put my car back together.

I've had the box in the car for over 1,000 miles now, so can comment on stability when using CarPlay (I've got an iPhone).

Initially I had loads of problems with volume and sound quality, but once I disconnected my phone from the iDrive system, it's been flawless... this means that I'm NOT using the car's bluetooth channel (an option in the MMI), and I'm NOT using the car's bluetooth for phone (another option in the MMI), which is different to some other comments on here. I'm also NOT using the usb connection to iDrive when charging either, as this connects the phone to the iDrive, and found that this caused problems with music playback (I could hear Satnav directions, but not music playback through CarPlay).

For charging, I've been using the USB port on the MMI box and it's been fine - it's not the fastest to charge, but it has enough power to still charge my phone while CarPlay is being used.

Sound quality wise, once the MMI EQ has been adjusted it is actually better than the iDrive sound, so no problem with the AUX sound quality that appears to be commonplace. I even did a comparison using DAB and the BBC Sounds App and switching between the 2 sources (press mode on the steering wheel) and the CarPlay is significantly better, once adjusted.

I ran the AEC mic configuator (in audio settings in the MMI box) once installed. It played a beep through the speakers, and I'm assuming it corrected for any feedback through the mic and adjusted the sound settings accordingly. Whatever it did, I don't have any echo on calls whatsoever.

The RoadTop box works fine with Bimmercode, so no problems there either.

Honestly, I was apprehensive about getting the MMI box after the various mixed reviews, but didn't want to pay BMW any more for RTTI so thought I'd give it a go. It was so worth the investment. When I get in the car, it connects wirelessly within a few seconds and just works - steeling controls work fine, iDrive controller works fine. The steering wheel scroll works in the same was as the iDrive controller too, so you have full control from the steering wheel.

My only niggle is that when you press the steeling wheel scroll to select something, it selects fine but the cluster gives a message saying that steering wheel controls are disabled for AUX. Also, when you press the phone key on the steering wheel, it takes you straight to Phone in CarPlay, but the cluster tells to you to connect a phone.

Apart from that, it feels OEM in the car. Might have a go at coding out the cluster messages at some point - if anyone's done this successfully then let me know!

Last edited by Donny85; 03-01-2024 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
fe7565556.50
      03-01-2024, 10:29 AM   #12891
Migz71
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 1 series (F20)

Just use oem Bluetooth for Audio.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 01:27 PM   #12892
Donny85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migz71 View Post
Just use oem Bluetooth for Audio.
The problem for me with using OEM Bluetooth is that calls sometimes didn’t have audio, and when playing music there were problems with sound when playing music. It was as though my phone was conflicted between Bluetooth and CarPlay audio.

Perhaps the problems that people have experienced are a combination of MMI software version, iOS/Android version and bluetooth connectivity. Whatever the reason, my wireless MMI CarPlay works great with my iPhone when it’s connected to the MMI only.
Appreciate 1
fe7565556.50