bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

07-12-2022, 12:51 PM   #1
bobkat09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i RWD

1200 Mile First Oil Change

I haven’t received my 2023 M240 yet but I’m already thinking about whether to have the first oil change early on at 1200 miles.

I know that many owners are adamant about this first oil change at this interval.

I have also heard that the break in oil should be left in longer, ideally around 5k miles. I’m leaning towards the longer interval.

Just wondering what other viewpoints are on this.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 01:36 PM   #2
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

tbh, I think it's good to change your first batch of oil after the suggested break-in period just so you can get rid of any "flakes" or w/e in the oil. but then again, I have never owned a BMW before so I don't know what the process is for BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 02:08 PM   #3
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

I'm going to change the oil when the car tells me to.
Appreciate 9
      07-12-2022, 04:57 PM   #4
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Got mine changed at 4000 miles. Paid outta pocket. Didn't have the reset done. Next will be at 10k. $100. 0W-20.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #5
Chevyguy2021
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi A3 Sline

On my X3 M40 I did it at 2000 miles and it looked brand new. Cheap insurance. Will do it again once I get my m240
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 09:14 AM   #6
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyguy2021 View Post
On my X3 M40 I did it at 2000 miles and it looked brand new. Cheap insurance. Will do it again once I get my m240
Insurance against what though? In your own experience, you don't need to change the oil that early.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 10:01 AM   #7
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat09 View Post
I haven’t received my 2023 M240 yet but I’m already thinking about whether to have the first oil change early on at 1200 miles.

I know that many owners are adamant about this first oil change at this interval.

I have also heard that the break in oil should be left in longer, ideally around 5k miles. I’m leaning towards the longer interval.

Just wondering what other viewpoints are on this.
I'm an advocate of early oil/filter services unless the car makers prohibits this.

A new engine sheds (mostly metal) debris. Sure there is an oil filter which catches this. But there are a couple of things to consider. One is at least with some engines the oil pressure bypass routes oil back to the intake side of the oil pump. Thus unfiltered oil gets routed back to oil pump over and over again. Sure as this continues the metal debris gets "ground" up into smaller and smaller pieces. The gear pump rotor teeth are hard and probably won't be affected. But the gear pump housing is aluminum and the metal debris can result in wear to the housing enough that oil pressure might reduced.

The oil filter or oil filter housing is filled with oil which is filled with metal debris. I have supplied a picture of the oil canister oil from my 2008 Cayman S after just 750 miles of use since new.

The other concern is if the filter high pressure bypass ever opens unfiltered oil is routed to engine.

Yet another concern is a new engine contaminates the oil. And turbo charged (and supercharged) engines are worse than N/A engines. Contamination reduces the oil's ability to protect the engine.

With my 2018 Hellcat the oil on the dipstick was quite dark and I had the oil/filter service done at around 500 miles. By way of comparison my 2020 Scat Pack dipstick oil looked quite good and I felt ok letting the oil go to around 1200 miles.

With my 230i there is no oil dipstick. (My 2008 Cayman S had no oil dipstick either.) So I just went with my gut (and remembering what the oil from my Cayman looked like after 750 miles) and had the oil/filter service done at 600 miles and then again at 1200 miles -- end of break in. Next oil change will be at 5K miles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      07-13-2022, 10:07 AM   #8
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
I'm an advocate of early oil/filter services unless the car makers prohibits this.

A new engine sheds (mostly metal) debris. Sure there is an oil filter which catches this. But there are a couple of things to consider. One is at least with some engines the oil pressure bypass routes oil back to the intake side of the oil pump. Thus unfiltered oil gets routed back to oil pump over and over again. Sure as this continues the metal debris gets "ground" up into smaller and smaller pieces. The gear pump rotor teeth are hard and probably won't be affected. But the gear pump housing is aluminum and the metal debris can result in wear to the housing enough that oil pressure might reduced.

The oil filter or oil filter housing is filled with oil which is filled with metal debris. I have supplied a picture of the oil canister oil from my 2008 Cayman S after just 750 miles of use since new.

The other concern is if the filter high pressure bypass ever opens unfiltered oil is routed to engine.

Yet another concern is a new engine contaminates the oil. And turbo charged (and supercharged) engines are worse than N/A engines. Contamination reduces the oil's ability to protect the engine.

With my 2018 Hellcat the oil on the dipstick was quite dark and I had the oil/filter service done at around 500 miles. By way of comparison my 2020 Scat Pack dipstick oil looked quite good and I felt ok letting the oil go to around 1200 miles.

With my 230i there is no oil dipstick. (My 2008 Cayman S had no oil dipstick either.) So I just went with my gut (and remembering what the oil from my Cayman looked like after 750 miles) and had the oil/filter service done at 600 miles and then again at 1200 miles -- end of break in. Next oil change will be at 5K miles.
One other thing to consider... when formulating recommended change intervals were automotive design engineers unaware of this? Did they not study the impacts or padded their results / recommendations to account for lazy owners or unforeseen conditions?
      07-13-2022, 11:01 AM   #9
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
One other thing to consider... when formulating recommended change intervals were automotive design engineers unaware of this? Did they not study the impacts or padded their results / recommendations to account for lazy owners or unforeseen conditions?
I would hope that they were aware and padded the recommended interval. I don't really see what the disadvantage of that would be. To save the company a few quarts of oil?
      07-15-2022, 09:53 AM   #10
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
Various factors involved.

Obviously the factory doesn't call for early oil/filter services. Thus a vast number of new car/vehicle owners drive blissfully unaware of what may be lurking in the oil.

But there doesn't seem to be a vast number of new engines manifesting any issues. At least not under warranty...

I used to read UK car mags. Some featured "long term" reviews of cars. Cars that had the 1st scheduled service some thousands of miles from new received favorable mention of this. I recall one review of an Audi the driver was positively orgasmic in his feelings for the car as he drove on to 20,000 miles. He did mention oil consumption increased as the mileage closed in on 20K miles and the car's first scheduled service.

Too bad the end of his long term review -- IIRC one year -- coincided with the car's first scheduled service. Would have been interesting to know how the car/engine fared the next 20K miles...

The flip side was a long term review of a Subie for which the factory called for an early oil/filter service (at IIRC 3000 miles) the reviewer made some negative comments about this.

Auto makers tout extended service intervals as a sign of superior quality. This is really just marketing. They get away with it because any issues that arise from this are generally covered by the warranty. The cost of which is I believe considered part of marketing and thus has a tax advantage. While money to cover warranty costs doesn't grow on trees the increase in sales makes up more than makes up for the increase in warranty costs.

Issues that occur after warranty receive various levels of response from the car owner. Some owners will get (rightly so) upset and vow to never buy another -- in this context -- BMW again. And storm off the BMW lot to a competing brand of car lot. But chances are he'll be passed by someone storming off this lot on his way to the BMW lot.

Others will be prompted to trade in the car for another. Some will seek help from an indy shop.

None of the above are acceptable to me. The factory probably should schedule an early oil/filter service but I don't need the factory's sanction to treat the new engine to an early oil/filter service. My experience with rebuilding engines and as a machinist (long ago career) provided me with evidence a new engine or rebuilt engine "needs" an early oil/filter service.

Also, I'm old enough to remember when auto makers called for early oil/filter services even early transmission and diff fluid services. Nothing has really changed in the years to make this still not a good idea.

I buy my cars with the idea of owning them forever. Regardless of what the auto maker may call for I believe an early oil/filter service or two is something reasonable to do to give the engine every chance of delivering a long and trouble free service life. The exception -- so far in my experience not encountered yet -- being the auto maker cautioning no early oil/filter service should be done.
Appreciate 5
      09-05-2022, 02:32 PM   #11
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

If you can easily DIY, why not?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 03:06 PM   #12
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

I changed the oil myself yesterday at 1,070 miles. Did it need it? Probably not, but I don't care - it's what I wanted to do. Besides, I'm about to leave on a 2-3,000 mile road trip and wanted fresh oil.

It was my first time changing an oil filter not located on the bottom of the engine, but it was a piece of cake. The only thing to cause an issue is the oil was literally like water, and when it hit the ribs on the oil container it splashed all over the place. I think this was my first time to change oil in a car that used 0w20, as I've never encountered such water-like consistency before from thicker oils. Glad to put in some 5w30 Castrol Edge Euro Formula. I'd actually do 0w40 before I'd go back to 0w20. Long OCI's, turbo, performance driven, and Texas heat are all reasons why. 0w20's main purpose is MPG, and that's not what this car is all about.

It's also really weird not having a dip stick to look at when I'm done, but the most comical part is if you want your oil life computer reset you have to go visit your BMW service center!
Appreciate 2
bobkat09153.00
BlueLEDz153.00
      09-07-2022, 08:15 PM   #13
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
I changed the oil myself yesterday at 1,070 miles. Did it need it? Probably not, but I don't care - it's what I wanted to do. Besides, I'm about to leave on a 2-3,000 mile road trip and wanted fresh oil.

It was my first time changing an oil filter not located on the bottom of the engine, but it was a piece of cake. The only thing to cause an issue is the oil was literally like water, and when it hit the ribs on the oil container it splashed all over the place. I think this was my first time to change oil in a car that used 0w20, as I've never encountered such water-like consistency before from thicker oils. Glad to put in some 5w30 Castrol Edge Euro Formula. I'd actually do 0w40 before I'd go back to 0w20. Long OCI's, turbo, performance driven, and Texas heat are all reasons why. 0w20's main purpose is MPG, and that's not what this car is all about.

It's also really weird not having a dip stick to look at when I'm done, but the most comical part is if you want your oil life computer reset you have to go visit your BMW service center!
how did your oil look when you drained it? I am on the fence of doing a 2k oil change...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 09:04 PM   #14
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
Quote:

how did your oil look when you drained it? I am on the fence of doing a 2k oil change...
It actually looked fine. I wouldn't give it much thought if you want to go another thousand miles or two.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 09:29 PM   #15
jaypr9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX

Quote:

Are you positive you have to go to BMW to reset the counter? I was watching a video, it wasnt a m240i maybe a m340i 2021 and the guy was able to reset it himself. It was something long like hold and press the button for 30 secs then wait and another 30 secs... I'll see if I can find the video again.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 09:38 PM   #16
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

You wouldn’t want to reset the oil life counter when you DIY
Appreciate 1
bobkat09153.00
      09-07-2022, 09:45 PM   #17
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
You wouldn't want to reset the oil life counter when you DIY
Why wouldn't I? It has fresh oil and a new filter.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201843.50
      09-07-2022, 09:47 PM   #18
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Because that would delay when you get a free change from BMW
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 09:54 PM   #19
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
Quote:
Because that would delay when you get a free change from BMW
Ahh, makes sense. However, I doubt I'll ever take advantage of the free oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 02:04 PM   #20
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ahh, makes sense. However, I doubt I'll ever take advantage of the free oil changes.
Yeah, just in case you did or if anyone else is gonna DIY between intervals. Definitely don't want to reset it in those cases
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 02:23 PM   #21
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypr9 View Post
Are you positive you have to go to BMW to reset the counter? I was watching a video, it wasnt a m240i maybe a m340i 2021 and the guy was able to reset it himself. It was something long like hold and press the button for 30 secs then wait and another 30 secs... I'll see if I can find the video again.
After not being able to find a button to press, or how to in the owner's manual, I called the service center and that's what I was told. They did say you can reset a notification, but not the actual oil life.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #22
P_Chris
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Garage List
2022 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypr9 View Post
After not being able to find a button to press, or how to in the owner's manual, I called the service center and that's what I was told. They did say you can reset a notification, but not the actual oil life.

Try this. Around 6:20 mark
CarPoor140.00