BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

08-19-2021, 07:00 AM   #419
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
That's because the E46 was arguably one of the best-looking BMWs of all time, hence no reason for "hysteria" over its looks. The current M3/M4 are a complete disaster, even fanbois who like the car otherwise cringe about its hideous appearance. The New 2 already has a lot of critics cringing, including original X5 designer Frank Stephenson.
I give you first place for the most subjective post claimed as a fact in all the history of my being on social media. Well done sir.

Cheeseburgers with American cheese are arguably the best tasting cheeseburgers in the world. No in the history of the world. See I can do that too.

The best part is the G8X sales and listening to people like you make excuses as to why they are selling way more than any other M3 in history. Did you know somebody actually said on this very forum that people would spend $90,000 on something they think is ugly just because of the performance? That’s when I knew some people here are pretty delusional.

Hey did you know what else is a complete disaster? The Rolex Daytona. Ugliest freaking watch in Rolex history. It’s too small at 40 mm, you can’t read the time on it and everyone hates PCL‘s. It’s a complete total disaster.

But people have to have them because of Paul Newman.

Last edited by Patton250; 08-19-2021 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23684.00
      08-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #420
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

There's still something not right about the black gap at the inside corner of the headlights that the renders are missing. Either the headlights will be different or the bumper will be different.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #421
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I give you first place for the most subjective post claimed as a fact in all the history of my being on social media. Well done sir.

Cheeseburgers with American cheese are arguably the best tasting cheeseburgers in the world. No in the history of the world. See I can do that too.

The best part is the G8X sales and listening to people like you make excuses as to why they are selling way more than any other M3 in history. Did you know somebody actually said on this very forum that people would spend $90,000 on something they think is ugly just because of the performance? That’s when I knew some people here are pretty delusional.

Hey did you know what else is a complete disaster? The Rolex Daytona. Ugliest freaking watch in Rolex history. It’s too small at 40 mm, you can’t read the time on it and everyone hates PCL‘s. It’s a complete total disaster.

But people have to have them because of Paul Newman.
Isn’t this thread about the m2 and renderings? Subjective? Pot, meet kettle.
Appreciate 1
arashir164.00
      08-19-2021, 06:26 PM   #422
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
There's still something not right about the black gap at the inside corner of the headlights that the renders are missing. Either the headlights will be different or the bumper will be different.
Agreed. One of the moderators pointed out some very good points that everyone has seemed to ignore; one being the lack of lower grills, and two, the addition to the empty boxes underneath the headlights having some sort of "fang" molded.

I don't think these renderings will be very accurate.

Last edited by Game; 08-19-2021 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #423
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Attachment 2655156

Attachment 2655157[/QUOTE]

As they say on Tik Tok ...

Oh no

Oh no

Oh no no no no no

Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      08-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #424
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post

Oh no

Oh no

Oh no no no no no

[/QUOTE]

Oh Yes.
      08-29-2021, 06:10 AM   #425
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

I’m not hating this but I’m just gonna have to wait and see the final article. I’m not blown away by first impressions at the moment but the good thing is, I really like the M240i anyways so there’s a chance to save money and have an awesome performing car that looks good!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 07:07 AM   #426
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

Oh no

Oh no

Oh no no no no no

Oh Yes.[/QUOTE]

I’m just wondering and would like you to level with me here. Obviously, for example, you like the grilles that are on today’s 3 series or M5. So if you were in control of BMW I take it you would insist that this type of grille was on every BMW vehicle FOEVER correct? I’m asking because you and others seem to feel that anything other than the standard design grille of the last 10-15 years is a bunch of negative names I won’t list here on this post.

I’m pretty new to car forums. It just never interested me. mostly a hunting, fishing, shooting outdoor type guy. So this has me wondering if on every brands car forum does a portion of the membership lose its collective mind when the manufacture changes the design of beloved models. A good example would be the Camaro. That bad boy has had complete makeovers many times. I wonder if those guys flipped out as much as the guys here do over grilles? Look at the new Corvette. Talk about change. Maybe I should mosey on over to their forum and see what the comments were back when the new design change pictures first hit the Internet.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 08:23 AM   #427
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
So this has me wondering if on every brands car forum does a portion of the membership lose its collective mind when the manufacture changes the design of beloved models.
Yes, this isn't exclusive to BP. MBWorld, Audizine, Rennlist and other forums also feature similar comments, BP has it the worst because they're the more popular forum and BMW's design changes are more aggressive. Rennlist is the most critiqued, as many Porsche owners do not even like the smallest of changes, the initial reactions to the 992 were very strong on the Rennlist forums as that was considered a "larger design change."

Last edited by stein_325i; 08-29-2021 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 3
RugbyBro7575.50
Patton2502936.50
BMWGirlFL6234.00
      08-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #428
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Yes, this isn't exclusive to BP. MBWorld, Audizine, Rennlist and other forums also feature similar comments, BP has it the worst because they're the more popular forum and BMW's design changes are more aggressive. Rennlist is the most critiqued, as many Porsche owners do not even like the smallest of changes, the initial reactions to the 992 were very strong on the Rennlist forums as that was considered a "larger design change."
Thank you for your answer. It sure does make it difficult for auto manufacturers to be creative then. I suspect these peoples passion about change does not include the technology inside these vehicles right? Just the exterior?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #429
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Thank you for your answer. It sure does make it difficult for auto manufacturers to be creative then. I suspect these peoples passion about change does not include the technology inside these vehicles right? Just the exterior?
No, everything from exterior/interior design, technology, powertrain, controls, etc.
      08-29-2021, 03:42 PM   #430
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Quote:
There was no social media back then. We have truly opened the gates to hell with Social media.
Spot on.
Not quite.

I participated back then on auto chat forums on the Web (like E46Fanatics) and auto Newsgroups/Usenet back then, and they were as active as today's forums. Newsgroups were un-moderated, so opinions were more extreme with swear words, cursing and flaming running rampant.

As for other social media, if you come out with an ugly design then you will open the gates of hell; but if you come out with a good design, it's the gates of heaven. BMW just came out on the wrong end.

As for this G87 design, I don't love it, it's OK at some angles not so good at other angles, but no show stoppers. Overall it doesn't have an beaver face - which is a win right there.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 04:56 PM   #431
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Oh Yes.
I’m just wondering and would like you to level with me here. Obviously, for example, you like the grilles that are on today’s 3 series or M5. So if you were in control of BMW I take it you would insist that this type of grille was on every BMW vehicle FOEVER correct? I’m asking because you and others seem to feel that anything other than the standard design grille of the last 10-15 years is a bunch of negative names I won’t list here on this post.

I’m pretty new to car forums. It just never interested me. mostly a hunting, fishing, shooting outdoor type guy. So this has me wondering if on every brands car forum does a portion of the membership lose its collective mind when the manufacture changes the design of beloved models. A good example would be the Camaro. That bad boy has had complete makeovers many times. I wonder if those guys flipped out as much as the guys here do over grilles? Look at the new Corvette. Talk about change. Maybe I should mosey on over to their forum and see what the comments were back when the new design change pictures first hit the Internet.[/QUOTE]

A Very Good Question.

My thesis on the Grille situation is that if suits the car, then why not?
In regards to M3 and M4 of the F80 series? Many like that they and indeed other M cars were Wolves in sheeps clothing.

But there were clientele who would cry out for more aggression to match the performance. Clientele that despite the rumours,were not just from China.

The G80 series bring this with abundance. You can't deny that the sheep now was actually a wolf in disguise.
You can't say now that an M3 is just an M340i?

But it opened questions to other models also. Which is why the G80 series now opens BMW M for more differences between standard and the M Performance models. Distinction can not only be achieved through performance but appearance too. M cars going forward will introduce further new signatures to reflect its status as a BMW M. And offer that much wanted division from BMW M Performance.

I don't think the larger Grille suits all models which is why it will be used sparingly. With the iX, i4 and upcoming 7 etc... They are used brilliantly to keep the front clutter free. All sensors radar etc are all hidden behind the taller Grille. I think this is significant compared to other premium rivals where they stick out and clutter up the main Grille of the car. As an example Audi looks as if somebody has driven into a cardboard egg crate.

BMW has always had questionable debate regarding design. Even before the Chris Bangle directed production cars started to arrive in 2001. One example I remember was the 1991 E36 3er which I remember one E30 owner saying that it's got fat and bloated and now wears spectacles referring to the enclosed headlights introduced with the E36.

The interior with that single central air vent in the centre was also an element for design criticism. Because in general they took away the (E30) car's familiarity.

There is only so much that can be done with evolution compared to what can be done with revolution. There are iconic cars that use the evolutionary path to great effect.

Porsche 911 and MINI are current examples. And there are cars that cannot stray from the evolutionary path because their overall competence is desired by the customer both private and fleet.
Competent cars I would suggest examples as BMW 3er and 5er. The VW Golf, Mercedes E and S-Klasse.

If you are a leader in product design you have to keep moving in regards to satisfying the customer whether they are existing or new to your brand or product. Evolution gets you so far, Revolution can take you further.
BMWGirlFL6234.00
JTO245246.50
      08-29-2021, 05:07 PM   #432
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
A good design does not need paragraphs of explanation. Least of all from the insiders.

Sure, we enthusiasts have nothing against new approaches but when there are clear signs of cost cutting measures inside and out -some of the examples being generic side mirrors, fenders with plastic add-ons instead of proper over fenders, poorly integrated radar into the front fascia, unlighted manual shift knob - then you start to question the general integrity of the company's efforts to offer the best product.

For myself, design is less of an issue than the driving package they are currently selling but that discussion is for another thread.

Quote:
A Very Good Question.

My thesis on the Grille situation is that if suits the car, then why not?
In regards to M3 and M4 of the F80 series? Many like that they and indeed other M cars were Wolves in sheeps clothing.

But there were clientele who would cry out for more aggression to match the performance. Clientele that despite the rumours,were not just from China.

The G80 series bring this with abundance. You can't deny that the sheep now was actually a wolf in disguise.
You can't say now that an M3 is just an M340i?

But it opened questions to other models also. Which is why the G80 series now opens BMW M for more differences between standard and the M Performance models. Distinction can not only be achieved through performance but appearance too. M cars going forward will introduce further new signatures to reflect its status as a BMW M. And offer that much wanted division from BMW M Performance.

I don't think the larger Grille suits all models which is why it will be used sparingly. With the iX, i4 and upcoming 7 etc... They are used brilliantly to keep the front clutter free. All sensors radar etc are all hidden behind the taller Grille. I think this is significant compared to other premium rivals where they stick out and clutter up the main Grille of the car. As an example Audi looks as if somebody has driven into a cardboard egg crate.

BMW has always had questionable debate regarding design. Even before the Chris Bangle directed production cars started to arrive in 2001. One example I remember was the 1991 E36 3er which I remember one E30 owner saying that it's got fat and bloated and now wears spectacles referring to the enclosed headlights introduced with the E36.

The interior with that single central air vent in the centre was also an element for design criticism. Because in general they took away the (E30) car's familiarity.

There is only so much that can be done with evolution compared to what can be done with revolution. There are iconic cars that use the evolutionary path to great effect.

Porsche 911 and MINI are current examples. And there are cars that cannot stray from the evolutionary path because their overall competence is desired by the customer both private and fleet.
Competent cars I would suggest examples as BMW 3er and 5er. The VW Golf, Mercedes E and S-Klasse.

If you are a leader in product design you have to keep moving in regards to satisfying the customer whether they are existing or new to your brand or product. Evolution gets you so far, Revolution can take you further.
      08-29-2021, 05:51 PM   #433
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
A good design does not need paragraphs of explanation. Least of all from the insiders.

Sure, we enthusiasts have nothing against new approaches but when there are clear signs of cost cutting measures inside and out -some of the examples being generic side mirrors, fenders with plastic add-ons instead of proper over fenders, poorly integrated radar into the front fascia, unlighted manual shift knob - then you start to question the general integrity of the company's efforts to offer the best product.

For myself, design is less of an issue than the driving package they are currently selling but that discussion is for another thread.
Meh, I can tell from what you wrote your biggest beef is that they had the audacity to massively change the front end. You’re attached to the old way. No big deal. Just say it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 08:18 PM   #434
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Meh, I can tell from what you wrote your biggest beef is that they had the audacity to massively change the front end. You’re attached to the old way. No big deal. Just say it.
Most of us on here are very happy that the new G87 won’t have the massive kidney grilles that the G80 and G82 have.We just don’t like the look of these leaked bumper pics from China that look quite amateurish IMO.

You should also not take SCOTT26 literally when he said OH YES because this leaked bumper pic according to lemetier is not the real deal.SCOTT26 also posted a long time ago that the G87 kidney grille would be similar to the G82 but not as big.This is obviously now not the case based on the G87 spy pics.Some of his info over the years has been legit and some hasn’t.IMO he sometimes likes playing games on the forum.He can be very amusing.

Forums are places where different opinions are expressed openly.I really don’t see the problem with people bashing car design language they don’t like.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 08:41 PM   #435
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
Most of us on here are very happy that the new G87 won’t have the massive kidney grilles that the G80 and G82 have.We just don’t like the look of these leaked bumper pics from China that look quite amateurish IMO.

You should also not take SCOTT26 literally when he said OH YES because this leaked bumper pic according to lemetier is not the real deal.SCOTT26 also posted a long time ago that the G87 kidney grille would be similar to the G82 but not as big.This is obviously now not the case based on the G87 spy pics.Some of his info over the years has been legit and some hasn’t.IMO he sometimes likes playing games on the forum.He can be very amusing.

Forums are places where different opinions are expressed openly.I really don’t see the problem with people bashing car design language they don’t like.
I completely agree. I was only asking. As a person who owns only a X3 and a G80 (sold, ordered an xdrive) I have no real loyalty to BMW. However I chose the new M3 over the new M5 because of the grille. Although I do like the M5’s grille also.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 04:00 PM   #436
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Apparently from 8/27.
      09-01-2021, 01:23 AM   #437
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post

Apparently from 8/27.
Holy crap at 1:50 he’s MOVING! Nice
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 05:36 AM   #438
zamray
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab Story View Post
It looks like a cheaply made body kit from eBay
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 05:37 AM   #439
zamray
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post

Apparently from 8/27.
Nice!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #440
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I think they should call this era of BMWs the Flasch Fiasco
Indeed. Sounds about exactly right.

J, tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0