BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

10-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #133
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Nah, I'm old enough to avoid EVs in the time I have left.
Ya never know, my great aunt just died at 103! She drove her car until she was 97.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 03:20 PM   #134
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
I think a little factual reasoning needs to be introduced here as there is a lot of hogwash being thrown around.
If you are buying the carbon roof option because of the look I totally get it & I would likely do the same. However please don't try to justify it as a performance advantage (that's nothing more than marketing BS).
Firstly the G87 & indeed my current F87 are way too heavy to be considered 'serious' track cars, yes I do track my F87 for fun at club events but I have 2 x serious tarmac rally & race cars that I use to actually compete in.
Secondly don't kid yourself that you will actually feel the difference in the centre of gravity as that's simply rubbish, this is a 1700kg car & if you think 10kg off the roof will be noticable your wrong (despite whatever marketing blurb you may have read).
Sorry to rain on your parade but with the M2 you are buying a nice luxury performance car that with a few mods can be used for club track days, your not buying a track car & if you think you are your in for a disappointment.
If you were buying an oem CSL type car with fixed buckets, rear seat delete, no sound deadening, air con & radio delete, aluminium body panels, etc etc then I see the carbon roof for performance argument as it all adds up, but as a standalone option on an M2 that's simply not the case. As I said it's a nice option that that looks cool & is nice to have but nothing more.
Yes I do think you should be able to buy an M2 with just a plain steel roof (likely in other markets) but it's honestly not going to make any perceivable difference whatsoever to how your 1700kg car drives, only to your wallet.

Here's some HONEST advice for those that actually want to listen to FACTS from someone that's been buying/building & racing performance cars for longer than I care to remember…
Buy your ideal M2 & if you want to have some regular track fun buy a 2nd set of wheels with semi slicks, add some camber adjustment to your suspension, buy some decent brake pads & fluid that will hold up, invest in some seats that are harness friendly, lastly get some track tuition if your a novice as it will make more difference than anything else, then simply go out there & have some fun.
Caerus534.50
T_U_D6687.00
JustinHEMI7448.00
SCCThree822.00
ElHeffe186.00
Vaticous134.00
qnet683.00
      10-22-2022, 08:46 PM   #135
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade but with the M2 you are buying a nice luxury performance car that with a few mods can be used for club track days, your not buying a track car & if you think you are your in for a disappointment.

Here's some HONEST advice for those that actually want to listen to FACTS from someone that's been buying/building & racing performance cars for longer than I care to remember…
You didn't rain on any parade...BMW did. With a helmet on a lot people fit better in a car without a sunroof. I am 6'3", with a helmet I fit much better in F87 without a sunroof. Not having to option a $2600 roof on G87 would be nice. I really could care less about the weight savings, it is just an added bonus to a slicktop. Forcing US market into carbon roof is total BS. I would much rather put that money towards a individual color(when they become available) and have more roof area to show that color.

Hopefully the carbon roof goes on constraint and BMW is forced to offer slicktop for US market.

Last edited by M3WC; 10-22-2022 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
CSBM52740.50
      10-22-2022, 08:54 PM   #136
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

My status 47 is spec’ed with the CF roof, but I am fairly certain that once we receive a production number I am going to delete it. The more I think about it, the money would be better spent elsewhere.
Appreciate 2
JustinHEMI7448.00
Caerus534.50
      10-22-2022, 10:25 PM   #137
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
My status 47 is spec’ed with the CF roof, but I am fairly certain that once we receive a production number I am going to delete it. The more I think about it, the money would be better spent elsewhere.
That's what I'm thinking.
      10-22-2022, 10:33 PM   #138
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking.
It certainly seems like a waste of money, doesn’t it?
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7448.00
      10-22-2022, 11:15 PM   #139
Caerus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I have already decided, if I can't get sunroof delete, then I am going to like the sunroof. I have the sunroof in my G42 M240i and it really does not bother me.
Appreciate 2
T_U_D6687.00
qnet683.00
      10-23-2022, 12:22 AM   #140
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Quote:

You didn't rain on any parade...BMW did. With a helmet on a lot people fit better in a car without a sunroof. I am 6'3", with a helmet I fit much better in F87 without a sunroof. Not having to option a $2600 roof on G87 would be nice. I really could care less about the weight savings, it is just an added bonus to a slicktop. Forcing US market into carbon roof is total BS. I would much rather put that money towards a individual color(when they become available) and have more roof area to show that color.

Hopefully the carbon roof goes on constraint and BMW is forced to offer slicktop for US market.
That's totally understandable & yes BMW NA are indeed screwing customers with no standard roof option, but there are aftermarket companies that make seat lowering kits for many oem seats if needed ? I honestly think you should be more concerned with seats than the sunroof if you are worried about headroom.
I assume your getting the carbon seats ? as they will enable you to sit lower & allow for harness use.
As a matter of interest have you been able to sit in a G87 with the Carbon buckets ? you may be worrying about nothing.
      10-23-2022, 01:08 AM   #141
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
I think a little factual reasoning needs to be introduced here as there is a lot of hogwash being thrown around.
If you are buying the carbon roof option because of the look I totally get it & I would likely do the same. However please don't try to justify it as a performance advantage (that's nothing more than marketing BS).
Firstly the G87 & indeed my current F87 are way too heavy to be considered 'serious' track cars, yes I do track my F87 for fun at club events but I have 2 x serious tarmac rally & race cars that I use to actually compete in.
Secondly don't kid yourself that you will actually feel the difference in the centre of gravity as that's simply rubbish, this is a 1700kg car & if you think 10kg off the roof will be noticable your wrong (despite whatever marketing blurb you may have read).
If you were buying an oem CSL type car with fixed buckets, rear seat delete, no sound deadening, air con & radio delete, aluminium body panels, etc etc then I see the carbon roof for performance argument as it all adds up, but as a standalone option on an M2 that's simply not the case. As I said it's a nice option that that looks cool & is nice to have but nothing more.
Yes I do think you should be able to buy an M2 with just a plain steel roof (likely in other markets) but it's honestly not going to make any perceivable difference whatsoever to how your 1700kg car drives, only to your wallet.

Buy your ideal M2 & if you want to have some regular track fun buy a 2nd set of wheels with semi slicks, add some camber adjustment to your suspension, buy some decent brake pads & fluid that will hold up, invest in some seats that are harness friendly, lastly get some track tuition if your a novice as it will make more difference than anything else, then simply go out there & have some fun.
Gotta love it when someone launches into this type of opiniated diatribe.

Let me see if I understand what you're saying .... Because YOU have track experience and you've "built cars," you automatically know what the rest of us don't? You are so knowledgeable that you feel a need to "rain on our parade" and call us out on our "hogwash"? That's awfully presumptuous.

Here's what I'd say: if you can't tell the difference between cars of different weights, fine. My guess is that a lot of the rest of us can.

But hey, you're entitled to your opinion. But that's what it is ... your opinion.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 05:47 AM   #142
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

I just hate having a giant hole in my roof. Always hated it. When I’ve been forced into a sunroof, it never gets opened.
That said, at 6,800ft, the sun ruins all sorts of stuff, fast. I think I’d have to skip the CF too. WTH isn’t there a metal slick top option?!?
      10-25-2022, 06:28 AM   #143
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
I just hate having a giant hole in my roof. Always hated it. When I’ve been forced into a sunroof, it never gets opened.
That said, at 6,800ft, the sun ruins all sorts of stuff, fast. I think I’d have to skip the CF too. WTH isn’t there a metal slick top option?!?

Long term durability is definitely a concern for some individuals when it comes to the CF roof. I really have not given it much thought, but I am now given that I am leaning more and more towards switching my build to the standard sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 06:47 AM   #144
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoy View Post
Quote:
Personally, I'm not speccing or the next buyer, or keeping miles low for the next buyer.

Considering this is what I will consider the last "great" ICE M car, it'll be my last performance car (currently in my mind anyway). I intend on keeping this for the long term.

I'm not, nor will I become, an EV person.
Good luck with that. Unfortunately the ICE won't be around forever nor the manual, as tech evolves and priorities shift to the environment, we must take the good with the bad.

I think many will come around when they develop cool electric motor sounds, and driving experience is so amped up your balls will tickle your throat and toes your belly button as you go around a street corner at 50 and find 60 in delirious 1.5 seconds. I have no doubt performance EV's will also carve the shit out of your favorite canyon or back roads. Performance is evolving in different directions, we must keep our minds open; for the future may pleasantly surprise.

Yeah, we will all miss the sound of a V8, but I'd rather forego it than have to permanently ware a mask in the coming years because we kept passing the environmental baton to another generation.

I for one am exciting for what's to come.
And then they'll take your 0-60 in 1 second car and force autonomous driving so you'll just be a passenger driving 55 mph on the highway with the rest of the drones.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 06:50 AM   #145
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
I just hate having a giant hole in my roof. Always hated it. When I've been forced into a sunroof, it never gets opened.
That said, at 6,800ft, the sun ruins all sorts of stuff, fast. I think I'd have to skip the CF too. WTH isn't there a metal slick top option?!?

Long term durability is definitely a concern for some individuals when it comes to the CF roof. I really have not given it much thought, but I am now given that I am leaning more and more towards switching my build to the standard sunroof.
F80 owner with CF roof. 6 years, 90k miles, never parked indoors, sun, snow, ice. CF roof is the shiniest and most perfect thing on the car.
Appreciate 3
T_U_D6687.00
ElHeffe186.00
      10-25-2022, 07:13 AM   #146
ElHeffe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
People also now go apeshit for Laguna Seca Blue or Phoenix Yellow, neither of which were popular when the E46 M3 was new. My guess, ZB will be the same way 20+ years from now.
I think that you'll be proven correct. Normally I go for the louder colors myself but ZB looks so washed out that I can't get myself to like it. If I could see it in person, maybe that will change but I'm going with Toronto Red for now.
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6687.00
      10-25-2022, 07:20 AM   #147
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i M-Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoy View Post
Quote:
Personally, I'm not speccing or the next buyer, or keeping miles low for the next buyer.

Considering this is what I will consider the last "great" ICE M car, it'll be my last performance car (currently in my mind anyway). I intend on keeping this for the long term.

I'm not, nor will I become, an EV person.
Good luck with that. Unfortunately the ICE won't be around forever nor the manual, as tech evolves and priorities shift to the environment, we must take the good with the bad.

I think many will come around when they develop cool electric motor sounds, and driving experience is so amped up your balls will tickle your throat and toes your belly button as you go around a street corner at 50 and find 60 in delirious 1.5 seconds. I have no doubt performance EV's will also carve the shit out of your favorite canyon or back roads. Performance is evolving in different directions, we must keep our minds open; for the future may pleasantly surprise.

Yeah, we will all miss the sound of a V8, but I'd rather forego it than have to permanently ware a mask in the coming years because we kept passing the environmental baton to another generation.

I for one am exciting for what's to come.
And then they'll take your 0-60 in 1 second car and force autonomous driving so you'll just be a passenger driving 55 mph on the highway with the rest of the drones.
At that point….I'll just fly 😂
      10-25-2022, 07:24 AM   #148
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHeffe View Post
I think that you'll be proven correct. Normally I go for the louder colors myself but ZB looks so washed out that I can't get myself to like it. If I could see it in person, maybe that will change but I'm going with Toronto Red for now.

I am spec’ed with TR as well, but subject to change and most likely it will be the deletion of the CF roof.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 08:19 AM   #149
ronin13013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

CF roof durability

I had an E92 M3 with carbon roof for 11 yrs no issues. I didn't know this was a "thing". My cars are garage kept.
Quote:
Appreciate 2
T_U_D6687.00
trey1001125.00
      10-25-2022, 08:28 AM   #150
ronin13013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

CF rood durability

I had CF roof for 11 yrs on my e92 m3 with no issues. I didn't know this was a "thing". My cars are garage kept.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 09:23 AM   #151
Albator_IIII
Retired Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT Custom

Anyone knows the ceiling clearance difference between Steel w/o Moonroof, Moonroof, and CF Roof in case I want extra clearance for a helmet?

2023 G87 ///M2 (production began Jul 4th 2023)
2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | 6MT | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 10:12 AM   #152
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

I don't mind having a sunroof. It lets more light come into the car.

I always had a solid CF roof and already got tired of having it. Some will try something new.
      10-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #153
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i M-Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post

I always had a solid CF roof and already got tired of having it. Some will try something new.
And I've had moonroofs in all my cars and seldom open them. Go figure lol
      10-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #154
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post

Just be prepared for rattles
Appreciate 0