home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-05-2023, 08:21 PM   #1
Sherlock997
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M2

Initial autocross impressions plus FTD

I picked up my carbon pack M2 a couple of months ago and have done a couple of autocross with it so far in stock form. I'm very impressed with the performance of this car out of the box on the stock star spec Pirelli tires, I actually was able to FTD my second event, vid below.

The car's weight is a non-issue for me and it feels rather nimble for the overall size. I do feel the springs will need to be stiffer with some grippier 200tw tires and have purchased the M Performance HAS kit to see how that will pair, but in stock form, the car drives beautifully.

As for setup, I found 31F/33R psi tire pressure cold worked best for me and the M Mode setup I use is as follows

Engine: Sport - Sport+ is fun for the street but is way too touchy for on-the-limit driving and Sport gives a more linear throttle.

Transmission: S3

Chasis: Sport Plus - As autocross is mainly on a smooth surface I tend to go for the stiffest setting to allow for better weight transfer and stability through slaloms.

Steering: Comfort - This one surprised me but I feel there is way more being translated through the steering wheel in comfort vs the overly weighted steering in sport. It also helps give the car a lighter feel while being more precise and delicate.

Brakes: Comfort - I found sport brakes to emulate a lot of initial bite without much modulation while comfort had a lot of the braking range at the bottom of the pedal but was easier to modulate.

DSC: Off

M Traction Control: 0 - This is a personal preference as I don't like being tripped up by the TCS cutting power/applying brakes all of a sudden while I am mid-correction. I did play around with the M TCS and all the way up to 5 doesn't really do that much at lower speeds, it just progressively gives you less throttle the more slip angle there is but it still lets me get very sideways, and didn't help improve my time. Maybe next time I will try 6-10.

Last edited by Sherlock997; 11-05-2023 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 7
      04-14-2024, 06:39 PM   #2
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2, 2015 F22 228xi

Just had my first autocross event and so much fun with this car.
BTW, I had seen people setup the main infotainment screen to show that 3 vertical bars. I couldn't figure out how to do that.

How did you get yours to show that?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 02:18 PM   #3
Kado
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ

Thanks for typing all of this out, great info.

I'm surprised at the lower front pressures. Did you have any rolling over of the front tires? How was your wear pattern on them?

Definitely going to try Sport for engine next time. Sport Plus felt like it was trying to kill me.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 05:41 AM   #4
maxwell smart
missed it by that much
Rep
Drives: g87 m2 / x3m

To get to the hp/tq boost gauges go to the live vehicle app, then use m/mode sport and you will find this display.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 07:21 PM   #5
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2, 2015 F22 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post

I'm surprised at the lower front pressures. Did you have any rolling over of the front tires? How was your wear pattern on them?

Definitely going to try Sport for engine next time. Sport Plus felt like it was trying to kill me.
Yeah, I just took mine out a week ago. Given that it was in low 50s in the morning but I did feel that Sport+ isn't controlable. Barely feather the throttle still thrust the car to off balance.

I ended up putting throttle on comfort and that was much easier to control.

I didn't see any rolling over in the front. I did lower the rear to 30psi.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 06:24 PM   #6
Sherlock997
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post

I run lower front pressures to help get the car to rotate. I have since been running a 305 square setup and am running 33-35 psi hot all around.

I rotated the tires today after 3k miles and 40-50 autocross runs. Definitely has more inside wear on the front due to toe out and 3.3 deg of camber. The rears are wearing pretty even with 2.2 deg camber and 2mm toe in.

Front Left

Front Right

Rear Left

Rear Right

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #7
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Just a heads up if you haven't caught it yet, but the tire in the front left image has a visible tread splice if not a torn splice. RT-660s are known to do this quite badly—just search for RT-660 splice on your search engine of choice. This article from Tire Rack talks a little about how to rotate them to avoid it getting worse, but ultimately recommends tires with torn splices be removed from service. I don't know if I'd go that far, but if you haven't already (and if it's possible) I'd put that tire in on the rear. Given the RT-660s propensity for developing exposed splices, I'd continue to keep an eye all 4.
Appreciate 0