home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

03-22-2024, 04:42 PM   #1
grooveK
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 530i, G42 m240i

Anyone use Valet Mode?

anyone use valet mode? from my use and understanding, so i could be incorrect, the bmw app doesnt record any trips taken in valet mode because its not technically under your bmw ID. which kind of sucks and defeats the point of the valet mode of sorts, no?

the reason this came to mind was because i left the car with a valet and after an entire work day, when i picked up the car, the front vents were open. i asked if they had driven it around hard or something because the vents rarely open and of course they denied it. i left thinking i probably have it on record in my trips section of the app but there was nothing. so unless they were just revving it like crazy or the app doesnt record valet trips/miles. i should have taken note of the mileage but i was in a rush in the morning.

i get that valet mode is really only to hide your personal information and such, but limiting the revs and recording trips would be such a nice option to have.

people will probably jump all over me and say 'never use valet!' (and id much rather the conversation not devolve to that) but the option to not use a valet is not available unfortunately, since we're talking downtown manhattan on a weekday where even parking spots in parking garages are scarce, let alone street parking. i tip before and after, always, thinking it would minimize any assholery. but i guess not. and im always hoping the valet guys will see that its in valet mode and not know that it doesnt record or limit anything but think that it does.

are there any tips or devices available that would prevent this sort of stuff? and am i correct in believing valet mode trips dont get registered on your app. thanks guys.

(and to be fair, ive valet'd the car about 50 times without any red flags or incidents. i think most manhattan garages are too busy for the workers to cruise around and fuck with peoples cars... and the garages i usually park at the workers mostly know/recognize me. it was just this one time it was at a different place.)

Last edited by grooveK; 03-22-2024 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 05:37 PM   #2
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

I'll have to check trip tracking and location in general. I thought top speed was limited, and provided for privacy. I set it sometimes when simply parking in the city in case it gets stolen and taken for a joyride. I wish there was an ability to set PIN confirmation even before starting to prevent theft. I heard there were aftermarket solutions that interrupt ignition but always require a PIN.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 05:54 PM   #3
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

I have a strange urge to watch Ferris Bueller’s Day Off for some reason.

Ugh this is why I will avoid valet like the plague.
Appreciate 1
grooveK111.00
      03-22-2024, 06:16 PM   #4
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Those rare circumstances that I go to an establishment with a valet I politely tell him/her that I only park the car myself and give him/her a tip. I have never had a problem with that approach.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:26 AM   #5
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240

The front grill will open anytime the car needs to run the AC to cool the car down. I leave my ac in auto so the grill opens basically every time I start the car.
Appreciate 0