BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

03-20-2024, 08:19 AM   #5699
RightYouAreKen
Rep
Drives: 2024 Thundernight M240i xDrive

New to this forum and have an order in the production queue. Recently sold my E36 M3 sedan of 10 years, and ready for something new. Poetically enough, I sold my M3 and received my new M240i's VIN number on the same day

Build is gonna be a Thundernight M240i xDrive, black sensatec, premium package, parking assistance package (for the 360 camera), shadowline package, active cruise, rhombicle trim, drive recorder, harman kardon, lumbar support, wireless charging, style 791M wheels with performance non-runflat tires. Basically everything except the ZTK package, remote start and the illuminated M door trim.

My dealer had an order in place that I was able to modify to my specs. Looking like a production date early next month. I'm crossing my fingers to take delivery sometime in May since it seems like US West coast cars are getting distributed pretty quickly after being built.

1/31/24 - Order Accepted (Dealer's previous order allocation)
3/3/24 - Order updated to my specs, deposit made (Thundernight M240i xDrive)
3/15/24 - In Production (status 150), build date 4/11/24, VIN assigned
3/27/24 - Build date changed to 4/10/24
4/10/24 - Entered Production through Quality Check

Last edited by RightYouAreKen; 04-10-2024 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 03:30 PM   #5700
Blazer9547
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
New to this forum and have an order in the production queue. Recently sold my E36 M3 sedan of 10 years, and ready for something new. Poetically enough, I sold my M3 and received my new M240i's VIN number on the same day

Build is gonna be a Thundernight M240i xDrive, black sensatec, premium package, parking assistance package (for the 360 camera), shadowline package, active cruise, rhombicle trim, drive recorder, harman kardon, lumbar support, wireless charging, style 791M wheels with performance non-runflat tires. Basically everything except the ZTK package, remote start and the illuminated M door trim.

My dealer had an order in place that I was able to modify to my specs. Looking like a production date early next month. I'm crossing my fingers to take delivery sometime in May since it seems like US West coast cars are getting distributed pretty quickly after being built.

Congrats! If you don't mind, who did you order through (I'm also in Seattle and ordered through BMW NW). I suspect we'll be on almost the same delivery truck, as I have a build date of 4/14.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 06:22 PM   #5701
RightYouAreKen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer9547 View Post
Congrats! If you don't mind, who did you order through (I'm also in Seattle and ordered through BMW NW). I suspect we'll be on almost the same delivery truck, as I have a build date of 4/14.
I went through BMW of Bellevue since it's the closest to me and they had an allocation. I think I saw another member on here that got a car through them recently as well.

What is the spec on yours? Looking forward to tracking their progress as we get closer. I've never factory ordered a car before. I'm not the best with delayed gratification. NGL I think I've watched every M240i video on youtube at this point
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:42 PM   #5702
Blazer9547
Rep

Quote:
I went through BMW of Bellevue since it's the closest to me and they had an allocation. I think I saw another member on here that got a car through them recently as well.

What is the spec on yours? Looking forward to tracking their progress as we get closer. I've never factory ordered a car before. I'm not the best with delayed gratification. NGL I think I've watched every M240i video on youtube at this point
Nice! I actually drive past BMW Bellevue every day I work and had gone in there a few times. Nice enough people, but they were playing games a little when I was ready to order, so I sucked it up and waited longer for a better deal lol.

Very similar to yours with most options!
Portimao, cognac, premium, park assistance, shadowline package, adaptive cruise, alum rhombicle trim, harmon kardon, lumbar, 792m w/ performance non-RFT. Also passed on the ZTK, remote start and the illuminated M door trim, as well as wireless charger.
Same RE: every video. This one from BMW Mountainview is nearly my spec:
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:12 PM   #5703
RightYouAreKen
Rep

Nice, almost twins! I thought about getting Thundernight with cognac but my wife said it would look too much like a UW mascot car, and she went to UW lol. So I went with black interior. Had to go with the Thundernight due to the similarity with techno violet from the E36. Had a friend with an E36 techno sedan a few years ago. Portimao is the only other color I would have gone with I think. Gotta get the cool colors in today’s age.
Appreciate 2
PP3121357.50
      03-20-2024, 09:24 PM   #5704
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

What??? You skipped the phone heater??

I don’t even know how they can continue to option this.
Appreciate 3
      03-21-2024, 01:42 AM   #5705
slickooz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m240i

Quote:
NGL I think I've watched every M240i video on youtube at this point
phew, im not the only one. ha

Still waiting on mine almost 2 months since I placed my order.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 12:28 PM   #5706
Ceolan
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

Really excited since this will be my first BMW. Brooklyn Gray/Cognac RWD M240i loaded with pretty much everything but vernasca leather. Current timeline looks like this:
2/5 - Order placed
3/5 - Production Begins

Called BMW Genius and confirmed the build week will be April 7-13. The rep said it might be July until I'm able to receive it, which kinda sucks. But advised me we'll get a better ETA after production is finished.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 01:10 PM   #5707
RightYouAreKen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceolan View Post
Really excited since this will be my first BMW. Brooklyn Gray/Cognac RWD M240i loaded with pretty much everything but vernasca leather. Current timeline looks like this:
2/5 - Order placed
3/5 - Production Begins

Called BMW Genius and confirmed the build week will be April 7-13. The rep said it might be July until I'm able to receive it, which kinda sucks. But advised me we'll get a better ETA after production is finished.
Congrats and welcome to the BMW fam! The car I test drove before placing my order was Brooklyn/Cognac...sharp combo! Where abouts in the US are you? My understanding is west coast and east coast cars ship out of different ports in Mexico and have different wait times for shipping lately.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 03:05 PM   #5708
Baldilocks73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mk7 Stage 3+ Golf R

I am first on the list at my dealer for the 2025. Let’s see how patient I can be!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 05:18 PM   #5709
td1439
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i xDrive

Hi all:

Just joined this forum. Currently waiting on my new 230i xDrive.

- M Sport
- Black Sapphire
- 19" bi-color wheels
- black sensatec/aluminum rhombicle interior
- premium, shadowline, remote start, HK sound

I attached a pic of it from the BMW app. Currently in "Quality Check", been there for a couple of days, so I'm hoping it moves to "Final Assembly" (or, even better, jumps right to "Ready for Transport", lol) soon.

I will dearly miss my 430, but I drive a lot due to a long commute (and I'm in a lot of stop and go traffic, so I opted for the 4-cylinder engine, much as I wanted to go for the 240), so it's time to move on to a new ride because it's racked up the miles. Definitely excited to have a coupe and for the updated features in this new bimmer!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 05:52 PM   #5710
grooveK
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 530i, G42 m240i

Quote:

I have nearly similar spec as you except I stuck w the gloss black trim and 797m wheels w rwd. I did manage to switch out the phone charger for remote start and I am 1000 percent glad I did. If it's not too late to make any adjustments, I'd recommend it. Apologies for the unsolicited advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 09:25 PM   #5711
Ceolan
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

Quote:
Congrats and welcome to the BMW fam! The car I test drove before placing my order was Brooklyn/Cognac...sharp combo! Where abouts in the US are you? My understanding is west coast and east coast cars ship out of different ports in Mexico and have different wait times for shipping lately.
Thanks! I'm actually in central TX, so I was told we should be the first stop at Galveston, then it'd be driven on a truck from the port to my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 08:13 AM   #5712
RightYouAreKen
Rep

Yikes, with the cargo ship bridge collision this morning in Baltimore, I hope that doesn't overly impact anyone's east coast US or Europe vehicle deliveries too much. Previous posts on this thread have mentioned BMW carrying vessels use the port regularly.

From one of the articles I was reading this morning: "The port administration says Baltimore is the biggest port on the East Coast for handling “ro-ro,” short for roll-on-roll off and encompassing cargoes of autos, trucks, tractors and wheeled cranes."

Looking at google maps, it appears there's ro/ro facilities on both sides of the bridge, so some might be less affected. Not sure which one BMW uses.

Hoping for the best for the victims on the bridge as well.

Last edited by RightYouAreKen; 03-26-2024 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 01:13 PM   #5713
td1439
Rep

Quote:
Yikes, with the cargo ship bridge collision this morning in Baltimore, I hope that doesn't overly impact anyone's east coast US or Europe vehicle deliveries too much.
"A number of major companies — including Amazon, FedEx and BMW — also have distribution warehouses and other facilities at an industrial park at the north end of the bridge, Bloomberg reported."
(https://www.axios.com/2024/03/26/bal...ripple-effects)

Seems like it might cause some havoc, although I would imagine the folks at BMW are already working on alternate plans.

All of this is very secondary to the lives lost and to those who will be impacted by the economic issues caused by this event, but yeah, there could well be impacts on BMW deliveries.

(of course, my car shows no sign of moving from QC purgatory, so who knows if this will impact my specific delivery date)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 04:20 PM   #5714
Iggy23
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 Xdrive 30i

My understanding is BMW has a new facility in Sparrows Point, MD that is outside the area of the bridge collapse (BMW previous facility was inside the area of collapse). VW is outside too. So should not significantly impact their ability to receive cars. Mercedes is inside where the bridge collapsed. Google the address in the article below if you want to see a map showing this.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 04:49 PM   #5715
RightYouAreKen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy23 View Post
My understanding is BMW has a new facility in Sparrows Point, MD that is outside the area of the bridge collapse (BMW previous facility was inside the area of collapse). VW is outside too. So should not significantly impact their ability to receive cars. Mercedes is inside where the bridge collapsed. Google the address in the article below if you want to see a map showing this.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US
Nice find. I saw the VW facility labeled on google maps but didn't see the BMW one. Looks like they are right next to each other outside of the area blocked by the collapse.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/7uQzWmKDTh5nYn1L6
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 04:03 PM   #5716
pash
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Long time lurker, but figured I would share my info. First off - thanks to everyone who has given so much great information in this thread. My dealer basically told me nothing about how to track my vehicle, but I was able to piece together everything I needed to know by looking through these responses and updates.

My timeline:
Sept 30 - deposit placed
Oct 1 - production number received
Jan 29-31 - production/final assembly complete
Feb 1 - ready for transport
Feb 22 - on the ship (thank you @radix)
March 13 - arrived in Baltimore (or Sparrow's Point? Hard to tell)
March 23 - arrived at dealership
March 29 - resting peacefully at my home

The car is an M2, with the matte Frozen Portimao Blue color, the cognac vernasca leather, manual transmission. Few other options.
Appreciate 4
      04-02-2024, 03:56 PM   #5717
BPM240
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive

Hello everyone,

Just joined and figured I’d post my timeline. I kept track every step of the way to the point of insanity.

24 M240i xDrive Alpine White

1/3 Order received
1/6 Scheduled for production
1/8 Production begins
1/18 Entering assembly line
1/21 Assembly in progress, Quality Check, & Final Assembly
1/23 Ready for transport
2/1 Dispatched from factory
2/9 In Transit
2/25 At Port in Bayonne
3/7 In transit to dealership
3/8 At Dealership
3/10 Picked up!
Appreciate 5
      04-03-2024, 08:49 AM   #5718
td1439
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
Currently in "Quality Check", been there for a couple of days, so I'm hoping it moves to "Final Assembly" (or, even better, jumps right to "Ready for Transport", lol) soon.
A week in QC, now on day six in Final Assembly. Very hard to know what the timeline is going forward; my dealership said it would be 8-10 weeks, and Friday will be 8 weeks since the order was put in. Not sure it's realistic to expect the final 6 steps to happen in just 2 weeks given the pace thus far.

Someone on Reddit claimed that they only update the website tracker once a week. I'll see if anything moves forward tomorrow, which would be a week since it changed to Final Assembly.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 05:18 PM   #5719
td1439
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
A week in QC, now on day six in Final Assembly. Very hard to know what the timeline is going forward; my dealership said it would be 8-10 weeks, and Friday will be 8 weeks since the order was put in. Not sure it's realistic to expect the final 6 steps to happen in just 2 weeks given the pace thus far.

Someone on Reddit claimed that they only update the website tracker once a week. I'll see if anything moves forward tomorrow, which would be a week since it changed to Final Assembly.
No changes today, so I emailed BMW Genius. All they could tell me was that my car is built and it waiting at the factory for a carrier to the port. So, there seems to be realistically no way to know how much longer this process will take. It could head to the port tomorrow or it could sit there for another month or more, based on what I've read from others' experiences. Then - how long at the port waiting for a ship? Then tack on, what, another month to get the car to the dealer? I'll be lucky to have this car by June at this rate. No idea where the dealership came up with "8-10 weeks".
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 05:48 PM   #5720
Blazer9547
Rep

Yeah, seems like people all have different timelines. Maybe depending on the specs. Mine has been on PRODUCTION BEGINS for nearly 3 weeks now. I'm trying to stop going to the tracker constnatly and just accept that it's probably at least 2 more months out.
Appreciate 0