BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

03-06-2024, 06:41 PM   #1
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Remote start with FOB

I’ve been using the app for remote start and it’s worked great (unless the car is patked in an underground garage or something with a bad signal). I never realized how convenient this feature is.

But strangely starting from FOB doesn’t work. A triple push starts it up immediately but it shuts off after 3-4 seconds. It doesn’t stall etc. It’s clear it just shuts off intentionally. What’s going on here?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 11:22 AM   #2
PL4NCK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G42 / 3rd gen Tacoma

That is strange behavior. The only thing I know that it could possibly be if things are operating normally (i.e. there isn't a malfunctioning sensor or other equipment) is that if the car battery isn't sufficiently charged it will refuse to remote start. What's weird is that I wouldn't expect to start and then shut off immediately in that case, but it could be related.

The other thing it could be related to is the battery in the key fob. I'm not sure why but it seems like an easy thing to try first- just replace that battery and see if it makes a difference.

A couple of times I have pressed three times but thought that I had only pressed twice. So I pressed another three times, only for it to start and then shut off within a couple of seconds. That seems very similar to what you're seeing so maybe something like that? Also try the other keyfob if you have it and see if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 12:09 PM   #3
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL4NCK View Post
That is strange behavior. The only thing I know that it could possibly be if things are operating normally (i.e. there isn't a malfunctioning sensor or other equipment) is that if the car battery isn't sufficiently charged it will refuse to remote start. What's weird is that I wouldn't expect to start and then shut off immediately in that case, but it could be related.

The other thing it could be related to is the battery in the key fob. I'm not sure why but it seems like an easy thing to try first- just replace that battery and see if it makes a difference.

A couple of times I have pressed three times but thought that I had only pressed twice. So I pressed another three times, only for it to start and then shut off within a couple of seconds. That seems very similar to what you're seeing so maybe something like that? Also try the other keyfob if you have it and see if that makes a difference.
All those make sense. But the car is a month old and the FOB battery should be fresh.

It gets weirder. I tried my main FOB again. It’s starts and turns off immediately. I tried a second time with the same FOB. Same thing. I grab the other FOB and triple click does nothing. I try the app and it also does nothing now.

I’ll check it all later…I need to drive somewhere. Thankfully no problem starting the car the normal way lol.
Appreciate 1
PL4NCK10.50
      03-08-2024, 01:19 PM   #4
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Follow up..
I wonder if the charge to start the car remotely is pulled directly from the battery or if it’s coming from some kind of accessory charge/storage. I drove maybe 15 min, after it seems like I killed all remote starting. I tried again with the FOB. This sounded like the battery was dead. It turned over a couple times and didn’t start. I got in the car and started as usual and it starts up strong and normal.

I drive back home, let it run for 15 min or so and shut it off. App remote starting works again. Starts up strong and normal. I bet if I tried the FOB it would now start but shut off again. This is definitely on the list to have the dealer look at. Bizarre behavior.
Appreciate 1
PL4NCK10.50
      03-08-2024, 05:18 PM   #5
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Normally when mine refused to start due to low battery charge, it just wouldn't start at all, not start and then stop. Definitely unusual behavior, in my opinion.

It could be a software thing too and an iDrive reset (hold the power/volume button for 20 to 30 seconds) might help. I took delivery of my car with a bunch of things not seeming right and missing features. I needed to reset iDrive to get everything working.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 08:01 AM   #6
NHRef
Rep
Drives: BMW e36 M3; MINI Cooper S (R53

One possibility is a software update messed it up. In any case, especially with a month old car, my advice is to call BMW Genius, either national or dealer, for their advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 09:35 AM   #7
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Follow up..
I wonder if the charge to start the car remotely is pulled directly from the battery or if it’s coming from some kind of accessory charge/storage. I drove maybe 15 min, after it seems like I killed all remote starting. I tried again with the FOB. This sounded like the battery was dead. It turned over a couple times and didn’t start. I got in the car and started as usual and it starts up strong and normal.

I drive back home, let it run for 15 min or so and shut it off. App remote starting works again. Starts up strong and normal. I bet if I tried the FOB it would now start but shut off again. This is definitely on the list to have the dealer look at. Bizarre behavior.
Reads like the battery is low on charge. Starting the engine but not letting the engine run enough time to top up the battery will just make matters worse. At least 30 minutes of driving is needed but given the battery had apparently gotten pretty weak maybe an hour is needed.

Or arrange to have a good battery charger connected and recharge the battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 12:22 PM   #8
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Reads like the battery is low on charge. Starting the engine but not letting the engine run enough time to top up the battery will just make matters worse. At least 30 minutes of driving is needed but given the battery had apparently gotten pretty weak maybe an hour is needed.

Or arrange to have a good battery charger connected and recharge the battery.
I think my low charge situation I experienced this year was a combination of drives not long enough, running heated seats/steering wheel all the time, and a severe cold snap which meant I was remote starting the car halfway through the day to keep the engine from "freezing up."

I received a free trickle charger with my car, and I never thought I would use it. I rethought that, seems during a cold snap it may be worth throwing it on the trickle charger every few days to make sure there is enough charge. Not much point having a remote starter if the car refuses to remote start at -40C...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 04:04 PM   #9
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Could the car possibly have some type of aftermarket security system that is interfering?
Appreciate 1
Fronzdan304.00
      03-12-2024, 08:01 AM   #10
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
I think my low charge situation I experienced this year was a combination of drives not long enough, running heated seats/steering wheel all the time, and a severe cold snap which meant I was remote starting the car halfway through the day to keep the engine from "freezing up."

I received a free trickle charger with my car, and I never thought I would use it. I rethought that, seems during a cold snap it may be worth throwing it on the trickle charger every few days to make sure there is enough charge. Not much point having a remote starter if the car refuses to remote start at -40C...
I have no experience dealing with vehicles in that cold of temperature. But I suspect one would need to use a battery charger/trickle charger to ensure the battery is kept topped up.

Even if not starting the engine the battery will lose charge just sitting.

This arises in part because of the higher electrical load on the battery from all the fancy smacy electronics. My 2002 Boxster would dial down the car's security system after 5 days to reduce battery drain. Newer cars have even more battery draining electronics.

Also it might be worth looking into a block heater. Ideally a factory block heater can be retro-fitted.

If that's not feasible owners have reported good experience using a blanket type of heater. A small electrically heated pad is attached (glued?) to the oil pan or oil sump plate.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 04:56 PM   #11
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It’s not cold weather. Temps are well above freezing. I seriously doubt the battery is weak or even discharged. The car is brand new, just below the 1200 mile break in, driven daily for 30 min minimum and has been taken on 1.5 hour drives on the highway muktiple times. The car never hesitates or shows any starting weakness when pushing the start button in the car. Starting from the app also never shows any weakness or difficulty starting. It is only the triple click from the FOB that acts weird and as if the battery is weak. I can try starting from FOB multiple times (and fail) until it won’t even turn over anymore. But after that I can immediately go into the car, push the start and it starts without any hesitation.

It really SEEMS like remote start from FOB relies on some kind of reserve power as opposed to main battery power….if that makes any sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 09:29 AM   #12
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It’s not cold weather. Temps are well above freezing. I seriously doubt the battery is weak or even discharged. The car is brand new, just below the 1200 mile break in, driven daily for 30 min minimum and has been taken on 1.5 hour drives on the highway muktiple times. The car never hesitates or shows any starting weakness when pushing the start button in the car. Starting from the app also never shows any weakness or difficulty starting. It is only the triple click from the FOB that acts weird and as if the battery is weak. I can try starting from FOB multiple times (and fail) until it won’t even turn over anymore. But after that I can immediately go into the car, push the start and it starts without any hesitation.

It really SEEMS like remote start from FOB relies on some kind of reserve power as opposed to main battery power….if that makes any sense.
I'm not aware of an auxiliary battery in the 230/240.

Perhaps you are not giving the remote start function enough time....

From my car's owners manual:

Switching on/off using the vehicle key

The system can be switched on and off using the vehicle key.

Press the vehicle key button three times within 1 second.

After the vehicle key is pressed, it will take around 3 seconds for the engine to switch on.

To switch the system off, press the button again three times.

I do not use remote start and have not experimented with it to observe its behavior when it is activated correctly or incorrectly.

If you are activating remote start correctly, the behavior does suggest a weak FOB battery that gets run down with repeated attempts to remote start the car in rapid succession.

You have two key fobs. Do both result in the same behavior? Another thing to try is see of the behavior follows the key fob battery or remains with the troublesome key fob.

Based on my experience with other cars once you are in the car to start the engine all the FOB has to do is respond with its RFID and this is triggered by an RF signal broadcast from someplace in the dash. This signal is probably triggered by the start button press. With cars that had a blade key the signal was from an antenna located behind the ignition key switch surround and triggered when the key was turned to start the engine. With push button start the signal might come from the steering column (to reach out -- so to speak) a key in a pocket or in a purse.

(Rarely I have experienced what I believe is my billfold which I carry in my left front pants pocket along with the car key interfering with the key fob signal. The billfold has some RFID shielding to guard against a credit card being scanned. What I have to do is make sure the key is not behind the billfold.)

If the RF signal is received by the key this energizes the RFID transmission circuit and the RFID is transmitted and verified by the car's security system and if all is well engine start is allowed.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 04:23 PM   #13
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah I tried both FOBs. One is in a leather cover (I doubt there is any shielding). The other is just the FOB itself. I never even use it because it doesn’t have my settings linked to it. Both behave the same way.

It doesn’t seem to be a weak signal between the FOB and the car. Three pushes and it starts. It runs for a few seconds…not sputtering or anything, then just shuts off as I walk closer. At that point I would think the handshaking with the FOB is done. It’s almost as if the FOB coming in proximity to the car is missing a check of some sort and it’s shutting it off.

Hmm I just realized that I always have my phone and the card with me as well. Both of those are linked to the car. So three rfid sources on me that are able to start the car. Could that be it?!

I should try an experiment.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:38 PM   #14
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I tried both FOBs. One is in a leather cover (I doubt there is any shielding). The other is just the FOB itself. I never even use it because it doesn’t have my settings linked to it. Both behave the same way.

It doesn’t seem to be a weak signal between the FOB and the car. Three pushes and it starts. It runs for a few seconds…not sputtering or anything, then just shuts off as I walk closer. At that point I would think the handshaking with the FOB is done. It’s almost as if the FOB coming in proximity to the car is missing a check of some sort and it’s shutting it off.

Hmm I just realized that I always have my phone and the card with me as well. Both of those are linked to the car. So three rfid sources on me that are able to start the car. Could that be it?!

Do you have comfort access, and is it turned on? You say it shut off as you walk closer to the car. Maybe that has something to do with it. To note, I have not paired my phone or the card to start the car, only the key. I also have comfort access turned off. I have never had the car turn off when starting with the FOB, so long as the start conditions (battery charge) were met.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:06 AM   #15
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Would be surprised if it was interference/overload with multiple devices communicating with the car's electronics. But eliminate the other RF signal sources and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 02:19 PM   #16
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That was probably it. I just made sure to leave my phone and wallet (with the card) in the house and remote started with just the FOB in my hand. It started and stayed running.

I will probably disable the phone anyway. The idea of a “key” being accidentally left in the phone charging/roasting pad still makes me nervous.

Thanks for mentioning RFID and how the FOB actually works. That’s what made me think of the phone and/or card possibly being involved.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:13 AM   #17
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That was probably it. I just made sure to leave my phone and wallet (with the card) in the house and remote started with just the FOB in my hand. It started and stayed running.

I will probably disable the phone anyway. The idea of a “key” being accidentally left in the phone charging/roasting pad still makes me nervous.

Thanks for mentioning RFID and how the FOB actually works. That’s what made me think of the phone and/or card possibly being involved.
Glad to read you got it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:49 PM   #18
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

And I just confirmed it actually does screw up if I have my phone AND FOB on me. The other day I tested with FOB only and it would start if I’m within 10 feet of the car and 30 feet. Total normal behavior.

Today I had my phone and FOB on me. Within 10 feet it wouldn’t start remotely from triple press at all. Once that happened, remote starting was completely locked out. Take the phone and put it on the other side of the house…FOB start still wouldn’t work. App start also would not work. I had to go start the car in the cabin to reset it.

As soon as I did that, FOB start without phone nearby, worked again flawlessly. App start also works again. So definitely when the phone is close enough to the car and you use the FOB, they conflict.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 06:54 PM   #19
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240

I’d be seeing the dealer about this. Remote start via my phone and/or the key have been flawless for over 12 months.

You shouldn’t have to comprise by not using your phone as a key just to have the key fob work! Hopefully easy to replicate the issue if you take it to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 11:13 AM   #20
kraken
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335I, 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
And I just confirmed it actually does screw up if I have my phone AND FOB on me. The other day I tested with FOB only and it would start if I’m within 10 feet of the car and 30 feet. Total normal behavior.

Today I had my phone and FOB on me. Within 10 feet it wouldn’t start remotely from triple press at all. Once that happened, remote starting was completely locked out. Take the phone and put it on the other side of the house…FOB start still wouldn’t work. App start also would not work. I had to go start the car in the cabin to reset it.

As soon as I did that, FOB start without phone nearby, worked again flawlessly. App start also works again. So definitely when the phone is close enough to the car and you use the FOB, they conflict.

Hi, any update on your end on this? or the phone/ FOB on you was the cause.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 11:46 AM   #21
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

How could the phone/card be causing interference when they have to be physically touched to the car. Unless l am missing something?

Remote start from fob works just fine for me. And I always have my iPhone on me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 05:50 PM   #22
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yep it doesn’t really make sense but it’s an issue when:

- I have the unlock/start key registered in my iPhone wallet AND
- I do a triple click with FOB with both phone and FOB on me AND
- I’m close to the car.

They interfere with each other.

I just deleted the unlock key from my phone’s wallet, and holding the FOB and phone in the same hand, triple click works perfectly.

Remote starting from app does not interfere with the FOB at all.

My next experiment is to add the key back to iPhone wallet and see if weirdness returns. If I can remember how I added it in the first place. It’s done in iDrive right?
Appreciate 1