home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

12-27-2023, 12:22 AM   #1
Hook3549
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

Does your M2 engine shut off at a stop?

So, it has been couple days of driving a M2 and today when I was coming to a stop sign, the engine shut off and started again when I pressed gas. I have turned on the auto park mode, but engine was never shut off at a stop. Does this happen to you guys? is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 02:05 AM   #2
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook3549 View Post
So, it has been couple days of driving a M2 and today when I was coming to a stop sign, the engine shut off and started again when I pressed gas. I have turned on the auto park mode, but engine was never shut off at a stop. Does this happen to you guys? is this normal?
Auto stop/start button on your right hand side next to the shifter. “A” with a circle around it that says “off” next to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 07:17 AM   #3
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
If the engine auto stop/start feature is left enabled -- I believe this is the default at least in Comfort mode -- it can be disabled. Geighty7 provides the details on how to do this.

Do not know if selecting Sport mode disables engine auto stop/start.

One can disable this via iDrive. Here is a paste from my car's digital owners manual:

Via iDrive
1. "MENU"
2. "Vehicle apps"
3. "Driving settings"
4. "Drivetrain and chassis"
5. "Auto Start/Stop"
6. Select the desired setting.
M Steptronic Sport transmission: via selector lever position

The Auto Start/Stop function is also disabled in selector lever position S.

Using the M1/M2 buttons on the steering wheel

The Auto Start/Stop function can be activated/deactivated using the M1 or M2 buttons on the steering wheel.

Additional information:
M Setup menu, refer to page 179.

My 2023 M2 was configured by the Genius at the dealer to disable engine auto stop/start by default. So when I get in the car and start the engine I don't have to disable engine auto stop/start feature.

Believe one can do this on his own if he signs in with his BMW ID. This supports making changes to some features that then appear to be sticky and are retained even after the engine is shut off and are in effect upon engine restart.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 09:55 AM   #4
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

If you turn off stop/start, the vehicle remembers it and keeps it off on subsequent starts. At least that was my experience in both M vehicles we have. It can also be disabled for both M button settings.

The first thing everyone should do when they get a new vehicle is read the owner's manual.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2023, 10:08 AM   #5
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
This is called engine auto start-stop. Every car in existence has this feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 01:37 PM   #6
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

First thing to disable is the auto stop/start when setting up your features. Next are you m1/m2 buttons.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 02:37 PM   #7
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
This is called engine auto start-stop. Every car in existence has this feature.

Tuners used to be able to shut it off permanently...no no more, says Big Brother and the Tree Huggers.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 03:46 PM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Tuners used to be able to shut it off permanently...no no more, says Big Brother and the Tree Huggers.
With my car at engine start the auto stop/start is by default disabled. Believe this was done by the Genius at the dealer I bought the car.

However, the feature is not permanently disabled. I can enable it by pressing the button. (I do this sometimes by accident when I go to push the parking assist button and hit the auto stop/start button instead.)

I have not tried to enable auto stop/start then turn off the engine and then upon restart see if the feature is off or on. If I accidentally enable it as soon as I realize this I disable it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 03:57 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
My auto start stop has been off since taking delivery. The BMW Genius who walked me through the settings said it was turned off by default but can be turned on….who knows if true.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 04:15 PM   #10
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

It was the very first setting I looked for when sitting in the driver’s seat at delivery. Perhaps the most annoying option offered by car manufacturers. Close second is auto lights on by default. Next up, a sound pressure level limiter for the entertainment system. IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 09:05 PM   #11
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
It was the very first setting I looked for when sitting in the driver’s seat at delivery. Perhaps the most annoying option offered by car manufacturers. Close second is auto lights on by default. Next up, a sound pressure level limiter for the entertainment system. IMO
AS/S yes, but I can't tell you the number of vehicles I see nightly driving without their lights on or just their DRLs on with no tail lights.

As mentioned AS/S is defaulted to off in both my M cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 09:07 PM   #12
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
AS/S yes, but I can't tell you the number of vehicles I see nightly driving without their lights on or just their DRLs on with no tail lights.

As mentioned AS/S is defaulted to off in both my M cars.
Night driving without headlights isn’t a lack of auto headlights issue.

It’s the incredible invention of always-lit dashboards that manufacturers embraced. The biggest stupidity in the car industry in many years.
Appreciate 1
Trogster468.00
      12-27-2023, 11:14 PM   #13
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Yes, auto-start/stop can be disabled simply by pressing the button, and it will remember this setting. It will not turn it back on*.

But, FWIW, despite me being a driving enthusiast, and an MT-only driver for decades, I often turn it on! GASP, SHOCK!

It's true. I daily drive. And in traffic, it saves gas. In a manual car, the engine will start faster than you can shift into 1st, so there's no downside.

So, I turn it on when in stopped traffic, or waiting in drive-thrus, and leave it off the rest of the time.

*(In the US. I cannot speak for other regions.)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 11:59 PM   #14
keonigt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Change the auto start/stop by the gear shifter. It should stay turned off on the next drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 01:17 AM   #15
TorontoRedCoastie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW G87 M2

Why do people dislike the feature?

It saves gas in a gas hog. No downside IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 02:13 AM   #16
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoRedCoastie View Post

12-28-2023, 10:11 AM   #17
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
The Ranting Gnome can be quite funny, if not annoying after a minute or so of exposure, but he destroys much of his argument with his conclusions that the systems are robust (no significant wear on components), applying what he says are no fuel savings (not the case in many scenarios) and intrusive on restart (not the case for most systems these days).

Depending on the nature of traffic delays (longer traffic light stops vs highway creeping are more effective for fuel savings), the typically quoted savings are 3 to 12% of fuel in heavy congestion, such as quoted here: https://natural-resources.canada.ca/...sheet_17_e.pdf. Going by our M2s, the stationary consumption is usually around 1.0 litres per hour, with the likely restart fuel used equivalent to 10 secs of idling, based on this testing: https://afdc.energy.gov/files/u/publ...is_greener.pdf. On a journey of 1 hour averaging 30 km/h, fuel consumption in slow city driving of 14 litres per 100km and with about 20 mins total stationary time above 10 seconds where the engine shuts off, that is about 8% of fuel saving.

I’ve driven many different cars in Europe over the past 15 years since auto start-stop appeared on most cars, most of them are pretty quick and unobtrusive on restart, even small capacity diesels. The one second of start noise is less intrusive overall than the engine running for the stopped period.
Appreciate 1
Squidget3533.50
      12-28-2023, 05:03 PM   #18
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoRedCoastie View Post

IMO, a lot of the backlash to AS/S is either old information or bad information.

You have the anti-nanny crowd (often older folks TBH) who still bitch about catalytic convertors appearing in the 1970s, and anything that sounds like regulation-required things are automatically bad. Just ignoring the fact that this particular feature is NOT required by regulation, and saves the driver money.

Also, when AS/S first hit the market, they WERE shitty and wore out the starter motors, because starters weren't designed for the more frequent use. They also turned over slowly, causing a perceptible delay.

In modern cars, this isn't usually an issue anymore. Starters are beefed up to take the extra wear, and can start a car very fast.

There's a school of thought that says AS/S is Just Another Thing That Can Fail (JATTCF), and bemoans the complexity of modern cars.

But firstly, no ones who cares about JATTCF would drive a modern BMW. Seriously, cmon, are you kidding me? If you want a stripped down simple machine, you aren't driving a german luxury car with a million gadgets.

And secondly, there's no real evidence that starters actually are the main drivers of repairs or repair cost. Even if it were, if the starter is the thing that fails on your car, you got off easy. I've blown more rod bearings on cars than starters.
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2023, 05:49 PM   #19
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
IMO, a lot of the backlash to AS/S is either old information or bad information.

In modern cars, this isn't usually an issue anymore.
As someone who drives various rental vehicles frequently (at least once per month) I'll tell you that in most vehicles I've driven (all modern cars), the system is still very clunky and noticeable. Obviously some brands do it much better than others, but it's still noticeable even in our BMWs. Modern Jeeps, for example have had a lot of issues with their AS/S system. JL Wranglers have been having starter failures at a pretty decent rate.

My wife ordered a '23 Grand Cherokee L Summit last year ($70k vehicle) and the AS/S didn't work from day one. And yes, as the purchaser of a $70k vehicle I am concerned with "just another component that can fail" because it means repeated trips to the dealer, not receiving a loaner vehicle (yeah most brands don't provide loaners when your vehicle is in for service), and having to figure out how to get to work, get the kids around, etc.

If you like the system, that's wonderful. As you pointed out, it's not mandated, so owners should have a choice to engage/disengage the feature.'

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 08:20 PM   #20
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hah, fair enough. The Hondas, Toyotas and BMWs I've driven have been pleasant. But YMMV of course!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 09:15 PM   #21
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Have you tried reading the owner's manual?

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 10:23 PM   #22
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
Hah, fair enough. The Hondas, Toyotas and BMWs I've driven have been pleasant. But YMMV of course!
In the BMWs I don't like how it shuts off when coming to a stop instead of after the vehicle has come to a stop. I also didn't like how there wasn't an off button in my 330e. It did only activate in hybrid mode, not electric or sport. I only used hybrid on the highway where I wouldn't be coming to a stop. In the Ms I like how it defaults to off after turning it off once
Appreciate 1
Squidget3533.50