05-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #23
rodness
Criticizes inanimate objects
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecst View Post
Honestly, looking at this, I don't know if I hate the stack on screen more or the no-shiftstick-design more 😂
I hate the lack of 1-8 buttons the most.
Appreciate 6
      05-23-2022, 09:54 AM   #24
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Ignoring the UI/UX concerns the screen is just stuck on top of the existing dash. It looks like lazy design to me but maybe in person it looks better…

I can't tell from the pictures what's replaced the shifter? Is it like the 911 with a little Braun razor?
      05-23-2022, 09:55 AM   #25
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordkeyz73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by applecst View Post
Honestly, looking at this, I don't know if I hate the stack on screen more or the no-shiftstick-design more 😂
Retrofit shifters will totally be a thing. The aftermarket will have fun with this.
Even with the retrofit, I doubt you'll be able to slide it over into sport like the older ones.
      05-23-2022, 09:59 AM   #26
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
Quote:
BMWs are becoming soul-less.
I remember driving a 1996 328i Sport for the first time when I was 17 and thinking how sublime it felt. (This was 1998). Such direct steering and "magic feel". Never in a million years did I think back then BMWs would become so bland. Now you have to get an M series car to get the feeling but it's still very computerized by comparison to what I described before. And now, there's no getting away from this craptastic interior.
Do you know what the "Ultimate Driving Machine" means when you cant even grab a shifter? No thanks.
What's the point of a shifter lever if it's an automatic anyways? It doesn't even make any sense like a lesbian couple wanting a dildo.. So to speak..

They may as well chop it off for expedience and aesthetics, you still have the steering wheel paddles to modulate the gear changes.
Appreciate 8
      05-23-2022, 10:00 AM   #27
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
First it was the bonnet, then removal of door locks from center console, then FWD, then 4-cyl engines, forced induction on M cars (this is one I can tolerate), now we get no buttons and no shifter.

Do you know what the "Ultimate Driving Machine" means when you cant even grab a shifter? No thanks.
Just curious, what does one need the shifter for when it's not a manual and all you are doing is pressing a few buttons on a stick? Even for shifting, why would someone not use the paddles?
Appreciate 1
M2_CSL117.00
      05-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #28
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Even with the retrofit, I doubt you'll be able to slide it over into sport like the older ones.
Probably true. I liked the idea of being able to use the shifter or paddles.
      05-23-2022, 10:03 AM   #29
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
Ignoring the UI/UX concerns the screen is just stuck on top of the existing dash. It looks like lazy design to me but maybe in person it looks better…

I can't tell from the pictures what's replaced the shifter? Is it like the 911 with a little Braun razor?
No the dash is redesigned.
It's very lazy to not even properly look at it, than whine based on your false assumption.

And this is LCI, usually the dash design never changes with LCI. Now it did.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
530iDriver1707.50
      05-23-2022, 10:05 AM   #30
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyRadams View Post
I didn’t think about resale. You think that would affect the value?
It would affect the value quiet a bit.

No one in real life would prefer id7 to id8. This kind of hate and toxicity for anything new is confined in the Internet.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 5
      05-23-2022, 10:06 AM   #31
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Quote:
First it was the bonnet, then removal of door locks from center console, then FWD, then 4-cyl engines, forced induction on M cars (this is one I can tolerate), now we get no buttons and no shifter.

Just curious, what does one need the shifter for when it's not a manual and all you are doing is pressing a few buttons on a stick? Even for shifting, why would someone not use the paddles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I remember driving a 1996 328i Sport for the first time when I was 17 and thinking how sublime it felt. (This was 1998). Such direct steering and "magic feel". Never in a million years did I think back then BMWs would become so bland. Now you have to get an M series car to get the feeling but it's still very computerized by comparison to what I described before. And now, there's no getting away from this craptastic interior.
What's the point of a shifter lever if it's an automatic anyways? It doesn't even make any sense like a lesbian couple wanting a dildo.. So to speak..

They may as well chop it off for expedience and aesthetics, you still have the steering wheel paddles to modulate the gear changes.
Quote:
Quote:

A lot of people enjoy dildos.

That's like asking why do you need keys if you can open it with your phone. Or why do we need a tachometer if it's an automatic and will shift by itself right?
      05-23-2022, 10:14 AM   #32
Quentin007
Rep
Drives: M240i G42

It may be modern, but that's not nice ... it doesn't fit in a coupe at all!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 10:18 AM   #33
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

That's like asking why do you need keys if you can open it with your phone. Or why do we need a tachometer if it's an automatic and will shift by itself right?
I learn something new everyday..

And iDrive 8 uses a revised version of the Comfort Access system, where key fobs are no longer necessary; it unlocks the car (automatically) and starts the engine with just the NFC in your phone.

And once again, yes, "automatic" literally means it shifts for itself, where the tachometer is there for vanity. It's serves as much purpose as a shifter lever.

I'm trying to understand your grievances but it sounds more like nitpicking, just for the sake of it.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #34
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I learn something new everyday..

And iDrive 8 uses a revised version of Comfort Access system, where keys are not necessary; it unlocks the car (automatically) and starts the engine with just the NFC in your phone.

And once again, yes, "automatic" literally means it shifts for itself and the tachometer is there for vanity. It's serves as much purpose as a shifter lever.

I'm trying to understand your grievances but it sounds more like nitpicking, just for the sake of it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

It's just not worth explaining to someone that's asking "why do we need a shifter?"

Edit: I don't mean this in a derogatory or condescending way.
      05-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #35
ergarza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 M Sport

To me BMW is about the driving experience....... I am not an artist or designer so I don't comment on the latest designs but removing the gearshifter and placing a flat screen in front of the driver will not transferring the same experience......
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #36
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
What's the issue with losing the "shifter" on an auto? Not being sarcastic or anything, but this just moves you from park to drive to reverse, right?
For real. Seems odd that this is the hill they die on. Not like, all of the tactile buttons that they will interact with 10x 100x more per drive that have been relegated to a poorly integrated slab of a touchscreen which has been shown in plenty of human interface studies to be detrimental to safety.
The_Werm214.00
      05-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #37
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
For real. Seems odd that this is the hill they die on. Not like, all of the tactile buttons that they will interact with 10x 100x more per drive that have been relegated to a poorly integrated slab of a touchscreen which has been shown in plenty of human interface studies to be detrimental to safety.
Exactly. I couldn't care less about a shifter if I'm not rowing gears anyway. I'd love for them to keep the buttons for climate control and programmable buttons 1-8 or whatever.
Appreciate 2
therealm3630.00
stefan2360.00
      05-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #38
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Attached Images

Appreciate 7
      05-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #39
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
If you haven't been driving with a shifter for 30 or 40 YEARS then understandably, you might not get it.

All these new knobs, trackpads, and pushbuttons suck. A shifter worked just fine for 100 years. What changed besides the power wielded by today's bean counters and wanting to emulate the god-awfully sparse tesla interior?

We were in a rented car this past weekend (GMC) that had a dash pushbutton "shifter". My wife tried to put it into gear with her water bottle in the cup holder. This after driving an RDX for almost 2 years with its own shitty button implementation. If it's ingrained deep enough into your driving habits, chances are you'll never get used to no shifter. And auto or manual, its just a convenient place to rest your hand.

Imagine if all sneakers did away with shoelaces and all you had was an elastic or velcro bootie top with Nike, NB, Asics, Adidas, and every other manufacturer coming up with their own patented proprietary replacement. I mean, do you really NEED shoelaces?

Last edited by CarsAndGuitars; 05-23-2022 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 2
The_Werm214.00
      05-23-2022, 10:54 AM   #40
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I work in I.T. And spend all day staring at a screen. The last thing I want to do when I go out in the car is do the same!

I think bmw have got basic ergonomics wrong here. Anything you have to do whilst the car is in motion should be a button or dial. You should have to take your eyes off the road to do that task.
Putting functions on a touch screen means you have to look at it.
I think the screen looks cheap although I find it difficult to explain why. I think it's lazy as just about everything can be done in software which means it can be coded up and presumably they will keep modifying it with lots of updates which seems to be the norm with any software these days….

The ultimate driving machine? I think bmw with the exception of the m models and perhaps a few of the higher spec models have lost their way on that now. They are catering for the masses and chasing the money ( and getting it)

Well that's just my opinion anyway
Appreciate 4
The_Werm214.00
M2_CSL117.00
ChrisM41647.00
NYAWE60649.50
      05-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #41
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Quote:
Exactly. I couldn't care less about a shifter if I'm not rowing gears anyway. I'd love for them to keep the buttons for climate control and programmable buttons 1-8 or whatever.

The "Hot Keys" are now integrated within the display, you simply swipe down on the screen and they all instantly populates.

You now have 1 - 12 shortcuts.

Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      05-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #42
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:

No the dash is redesigned.
It's very lazy to not even properly look at it, than whine based on your false assumption.

And this is LCI, usually the dash design never changes with LCI. Now it did.
I didn't word my post properly…I know it's redesigned as the cluster and other screen is gone but it's just plopped on top of the dash with a stand on the back of it. It also has gaps.

It doesn't look properly "integrated" into the dash.
      05-23-2022, 11:00 AM   #43
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
The "Hot Keys" are now integrated within the display, you simply swipe down on the screen and they all instantly populates.

That was my point, I prefer actual plastic buttons for this
Appreciate 2
stefan2360.00
      05-23-2022, 11:01 AM   #44
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 Yellow

I like the appearance and the feel of a shifter even in an automatic. BMW also has it set up correctly for upshifts and downshifts (unlike Audi!) so I will end up using that in certain circumstances. The volume knob being down in the center like that is nice (like Audi!).
Appreciate 0