BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-28-2022, 12:14 PM   #45
Fernando_380
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominter View Post
Wasn’t ID7 throughout the BMW lineup previous to this ? I’m not sure it was G42 specific so I don’t understand what your saying .
The screens are a lot bigger & brighter with higher resolution with new faster processors, the ID7 drivers display for me was dark & the infotainment screen was tiny compared .
Agreed
don't think the screens are any cheaper than the old ones. They are much sharper and of higher quality compared.
The removal of buttons is likely down to trying to just simplify the looks of cars these days. A route that a lot of manufactures are taking.
Including why they reduced the gearshift size.

Take the new C class from Mercedes for example, they don't even have a touchpad controller! All the climate settings are on the touchscreen.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 12:43 PM   #46
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
How are curved higher resolution screens three times the size cheaper ?!
Overall screens save automakers money because they don't have to design an instrument cluster along with the buttons/dials etc. Just slap in a screen and call it a day. This is especially so when the screens don't have to be integrated into the dash.
This is what Tesla did. A very simple nothing -burger.

I get it though, the younger Android/iPhone generations moving up from Honda and Toyota eat this stuff up. Just like they do a 4k curved desktop display.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 12:51 PM   #47
azuki
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i

jesus the copium in this thread is hilarious
Appreciate 8
coreyjn7230.50
Zaxer240.50
n55f151269.50
playswcars3657.50
02M3ForMe4266.00
PP3121359.00
      08-28-2022, 12:53 PM   #48
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando_380 View Post
Agreed
don't think the screens are any cheaper than the old ones. They are much sharper and of higher quality compared.
The removal of buttons is likely down to trying to just simplify the looks of cars these days. A route that a lot of manufactures are taking.
Including why they reduced the gearshift size.

Take the new C class from Mercedes for example, they don't even have a touchpad controller! All the climate settings are on the touchscreen.
Nothing to do with "simplifying the look" (ok maybe a little for the EVs). It is cost. When you add single/multi-function buttons, you have to design and build tactile buttons, ergonomically place them in the cabin, run wiring from the buttons to wherever the car gets power, and deal with the cost of the electronics. Taking buttons with electronics/cost and replacing them with piano black trim, and then tossing those functions into an existing screen.. WAY cheaper, and makes the production process quicker and more efficient.

I think the chip shortages and everything over the last few years has forced manufacturers to bake way more things into screens, to make themselves less reliant on supply chain issues and lower cost. Now, if these cars were becoming cheaper in cost to buy (or staying at the same price re: inflation), I'd be fine with this direction. But the fact that cars are becoming less user friendly, cheaper to produce for manufacturers, AND getting more expensive for customers... I guess that's where I have a problem.

My tinfoil hat says that manufacturers are privy to the fact consumers know used cars are overpriced and new cars are "better value" at the moment, and they're trying to sneak in lowered production costs and higher prices to the customer since people are more willing to buy New than they have been in a while.
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2022, 01:09 PM   #49
moominter
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
Nothing to do with "simplifying the look" (ok maybe a little for the EVs). It is cost. When you add single/multi-function buttons, you have to design and build tactile buttons, ergonomically place them in the cabin, run wiring from the buttons to wherever the car gets power, and deal with the cost of the electronics. Taking buttons with electronics/cost and replacing them with piano black trim, and then tossing those functions into an existing screen.. WAY cheaper, and makes the production process quicker and more efficient.

I think the chip shortages and everything over the last few years has forced manufacturers to bake way more things into screens, to make themselves less reliant on supply chain issues and lower cost. Now, if these cars were becoming cheaper in cost to buy (or staying at the same price re: inflation), I'd be fine with this direction. But the fact that cars are becoming less user friendly, cheaper to produce for manufacturers, AND getting more expensive for customers... I guess that's where I have a problem.

My tinfoil hat says that manufacturers are privy to the fact consumers know used cars are overpriced and new cars are "better value" at the moment, and they're trying to sneak in lowered production costs and higher prices to the customer since people are more willing to buy New than they have been in a while.

Or it’s just the new version of IDrive .
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2022, 01:12 PM   #50
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
Or it’s just the new version of IDrive .
That's their excuse
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 01:27 PM   #51
moominter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
That's their excuse
Lol 😂
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 01:37 PM   #52
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

I haven’t been a fan of the new screen but i do like the way it wraps around the view of the diver in this video.The resolution also looks incredible.Just wish they offered a circular gauges option and that the screen was better integrated into the dash without the kickstand.
Appreciate 1
meyer1son295.00
      08-28-2022, 01:38 PM   #53
moominter
Private
Rep

The comments were the same on the Mercedes forums 4 yeas ago with MBUX but it turned out to be brilliant.
It’s all subjective I know but I can’t see how it’s cheaper or when they started using microchips in buttons .
Appreciate 1
PP3121359.00
      08-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #54
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Wasn’t ID7 throughout the BMW lineup previous to this ? I’m not sure it was G42 specific so I don’t understand what your saying .
The screens are a lot bigger & brighter with higher resolution with new faster processors, the ID7 drivers display for me was dark & the infotainment screen was tiny compared .
The displays were not all the same, compare a G42 to a 5 series and it’s very different. Allows them more flexibility in how to integrate it into the car.

The id7 infotainment screen is 11”, compared to I believe 13-14” on id8. I would hardly call either “tiny”.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 01:55 PM   #55
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
The comments were the same on the Mercedes forums 4 yeas ago with MBUX but it turned out to be brilliant.
It’s all subjective I know but I can’t see how it’s cheaper or when they started using microchips in buttons .
I’m guessing everyone complained about id7 losing circular/analog gauges vs id6 but now id7 is apparently the be all end all greatest infotainment option of all time
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 02:13 PM   #56
moominter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
The displays were not all the same, compare a G42 to a 5 series and it’s very different. Allows them more flexibility in how to integrate it into the car.

The id7 infotainment screen is 11”, compared to I believe 13-14” on id8. I would hardly call either “tiny”.
But the same as the 3 & 4 series ?
Obviously the infotainment screen is bigger both ways not just length lol
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 03:30 PM   #57
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Holy cow that's odd looking... it really is prep for an electric future... I would drive into a wall if I had to fiddle w climate controls w that.
      08-28-2022, 03:57 PM   #58
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Holy cow that's odd looking... it really is prep for an electric future... I would drive into a wall if I had to fiddle w climate controls w that.
It's super easy after you spend like 3 minutes with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 04:41 PM   #59
X3MM3335xitasticalmagic
Rep
Drives: 09335xiDianan,'13E92M3,21x3mc!

smart key

Since it is idrive 8 the smart key on your phone doesn't need to be touched or put on the wireless charging tray right?! If so... dopeness!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 05:40 PM   #60
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MM3335xitasticalmagic View Post
Since it is idrive 8 the smart key on your phone doesn't need to be touched or put on the wireless charging tray right?! If so... dopeness!
Yes that's true. With the "BMW Digital Key Plus" feature of idrive 8 , your phone becomes your car key thanks to the Ultra Wideband Technology support in idrive8 and in the newer+ future phone models.
You can also use the Key Sharing with Friends feature ( Iphone only for now).
+ one of other important features of idrive8 vs 7 is that it supports the 5G technology.

The bulletin about these features is in the youtube link below; the "BMW Digital Key Plus" feature starts around minute 6:37.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gweg1Oe0HI
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 06:27 PM   #61
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
But the same as the 3 & 4 series ?
Obviously the infotainment screen is bigger both ways not just length lol
Screen sizes are quoted as a diagonal so that number encompasses both length and width. And the id8 one you lose the bottom of the screen to climate controls, so it’s not as good as it sounds on paper.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 07:51 PM   #62
Zaxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuki View Post
jesus the copium in this thread is hilarious
agreed - I'm thinking this horse is already dead...
Appreciate 3
Game7429.50
coreyjn7230.50
PP3121359.00
      08-28-2022, 07:59 PM   #63
meyer1son
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
I haven’t been a fan of the new screen but i do like the way it wraps around the view of the diver in this video.The resolution also looks incredible.Just wish they offered a circular gauges option and that the screen was better integrated into the dash without the kickstand.

I agree 100% the gauges are so lame imho. Didn't like them in my 19 330i at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 08:06 PM   #64
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
Because they can mass produce the same unit and put it in every car they make, realizing massive economies of scale. As opposed to making bespoke trim and modules for each model.

Also the resolution and size are barely different, the left screen is almost the same and the right one is only something like 2” larger than the id7 live cockpit pro. Much of that new space is taken up by the climate controls, which used to have their own screen and buttons.

They just took the two screens they already had and smooshed them together. It’s not really that different.
I think both of you guys are right and making good points.
1) on the streamlining and savings side they are making very simple dash with fewer components and just replacing everything with that large screen. This less buttons and the display set up is exactly same across all models.
2) the display is high end and does provide high quality resolution. The processor is fast and very responsive.

However there is some argument to be made for some more manual buttons because it's so quick and easy. I love technology and advancement but sometimes if u driving in dark raining places like PNW u want just quick click and done rather then cycling through menus.

Anyway my two cent but screens are pretty high end and we gonna have to get used to ID8
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 09:23 PM   #65
drjoe66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 & 2019 X3

I had a 2 series rental car in Germany with idrive 8. I was quite underwhelmed. Finding things took a long time and the touch screen was not very intuitive. To me, it felt like a step backwards towards the Tesla system. This is going in the wrong direction when it comes to practicality. I did not enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 09:39 PM   #66
tadmcmichael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

So with this new higher screens, would people still want to spec a HUD? Seems superfluous given how high this will sit in the field of view. I no longer think I would tic that box on the option sheet.

Not crazy about the look, but this is not too big a deal for me. Provided the G87's driving dynamics are exciting, I won't change my mind because of the screen.

Given some time, I might find some advantages to this setup. That was the case with my Tesla after about a week.
Appreciate 0