home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

12-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #67
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Did anyone actually cross shop these two specifically? I did, and landed on the m240i.

As a daily the m240i is much more livable. The tech alone is miles ahead of the OG M2. Also, IMO the b58 sounds better than the N55. Power delivery is very smooth/linear and the overall experience is much more refined.

Want a track car? M2 all day long.

Exterior styling comes down to user preference. However, when comparing brand new to used, brand new wins for me every time.
Appreciate 1
gp_solo2190.50
      12-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #68
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Word!

I can't take anyone here seriously anymore, the M240i is just fine, yet some folks are doing mental gymnastics, just to hash up any abstract fault they could unearth.

BMW = Bitch, Moan & Whine ��
LOL!

I've wondered for a while why a lot of people seem to come to this forum just to bash the M240? Is it as bad on the other forums? The M240 subjectively is a very good car. The M240 is not an M-car. Whether or not it looks better worse than the F-generation cars is a purely individual opinion. Lighten up and have fun people!

This negatively surfaces when people are highly insecure.

They'll compare their current vehicle to the new and objectively better one and come to the conclusion that it may be superior than theirs or possesses improvements that they don't want to acknowledge. So, why not nitpick and convince themselves this is not really reality.

Yes, the M240i is not an M car but BMW has moved the goal post so many times, the definition of an M model is so diluted to almost have no meaning anymore, other than marketing.

The M240i stands on its own strength and doesn't require a M model endorsement, in my humble opinion.

Me personally, I actually like what I see. Although it's not exactly my cup of tea, being a manual transmission aficionado and all but if I was after a ZF8, I would just get this AWD version also and call it a day.

I mean, I'm already chopping my dick off, may as well get ride of the balls also. So to speak.. 😁
Appreciate 5
SN1P3211.50
jmase248301.50
MrFoxy376.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      12-05-2021, 12:44 PM   #69
reward72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

I test drove an OG M2 about a month ago thinking of trading my G42 for it as an "upgrade". Yes the M2 looks better. Yes, I have no doubt, the M2 is better on a track, but as a daily I came to realize that for me, the M2 was no better than my M240. I couldn't see myself spending $10-15K just for a nicer butt and track capabilities that I will rarely use, if ever, especially while losing the adaptive suspension, AWD and having an interior with some color in it.
Appreciate 2
markslc1183.00
      12-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #70
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason60051 View Post
I can't get past the designs of any of the new bmw products. I don't care how much faster it is…how much faster it goes around the Ring…that technically it's a superior vehicle. I'll stick with the old…out with the new.
^^^ this. Don't care what model, what price point. Anything they've built in the last few yrs they can keep it … I'll be movin on once my lease M3cs is up
Attached Images

mfarrzhp1491.00
akkando5864.50
RideM317.00
TUDMG21.00
      12-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #71
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

Do we really need the internecine strife?
Out in the real world are BMW drivers really doggin' on other BMWs?
Show respect for the Marque, up and down from your ride.
Plenty of other brands out there to mess with their minds.
      12-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #72
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Word!

I can't take anyone here seriously anymore, the M240i is just fine, yet some folks are doing mental gymnastics, just to hash up any abstract fault they could unearth.

BMW = Bitch, Moan & Whine ��
LOL!

I've wondered for a while why a lot of people seem to come to this forum just to bash the M240? Is it as bad on the other forums? The M240 subjectively is a very good car. The M240 is not an M-car. Whether or not it looks better worse than the F-generation cars is a purely individual opinion. Lighten up and have fun people!

This negatively surfaces when people are highly insecure.

They'll compare their current vehicle to the new and objectively better one and come to the conclusion that it may be superior than theirs or possesses improvements that they don't want to acknowledge. So, why not nitpick and convince themselves this is not really reality.

Yes, the M240i is not an M car but BMW has moved the goal post so many times, the definition of an M model is so diluted to almost have no meaning anymore, other than marketing.

The M240i stands on its own strength and doesn't require a M model endorsement, in my humble opinion.

Me personally, I actually like what I see. Although it's not exactly my cup of tea, being a manual transmission aficionado and all but if I was after a ZF8, I would just get this AWD version also and call it a day.

I mean, I'm already chopping my dick off, may as well get ride of the balls also. So to speak.. 😁
You've successfully put into words what I've witnessed/noticed. Well said.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-05-2021, 01:04 PM   #73
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN-AWD View Post
Way too much disruption over a YouTube video maybe 🤔 Just a thought.
Word!

BMW = Bitch, Moan & Whine 😒
Actually means…

Brought My Wallet
      12-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #74
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

Sure points to the potential of the next M2C!
Shame Thomas didn't have an M2C for the compare though.

Think anyone getting a G42 should be happy with their choice and hopefully they can add some thrashiness and larriness to the platform, to go along with the obvious competence of it, for the the M badged one.
      12-05-2021, 01:44 PM   #75
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideM View Post
Why would someone buy a low tech, slow car with no arms rests?
But isn't it unlivable without gesture control and a HUD? How do you make it to the grocery store without AWD?
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25084.50
      12-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #76
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reward72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
I can't seem to understand why rear seat room is the topic of conversation…

If you want rear seat more, get a four door? Why bother with a coupe?
It is the main reason I chose my F22 over less practical alternatives like the Cayman, TT or Supra (if it had been available at the time). I rarely ever need it, but I sometimes do. Not having a usable back seat would prevent me from using the car for some of my best road trips of the year.

If the G42 back seats are not usable, I might as well go a for a two seater. I would have a hard time saying no to a Supra with a MT if they ever make one.
I believe it's still practical, but for different height groups. It does have climate control and usb-c chargers in the back for the first time in a 1 or 2 series coupe.

Instead of being ideal for passengers that are 5'8 to 6'0, it's for those that are 5'4 to 5'7. I would choose this car over the others you listed.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #77
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
Quote:
M240i is a nice car but it's not what purists want in a "track" car. I'm sure it's a better daily and more competent in many ways. Comparing 0-60's is irrelevant because xdrive cars will win by miles. As far as the rolling race, the B58 is a monster of an engine. I'm not shocked either. A comp M2 would've been the better rolling race since the power levels would be identical.

He bought the M2 because he wants a car to drive on the track. 0-60 and launches don't matter once you're rolling. Having less weight and better suspension is more important. Plus I'm sure people love drifting the M2 and I believe the M240i is still a great car to track. It shouldn't be off by much but the extra power and LSD it has helps.

As far as engines are concerned, it gets tricky. I think the B58 is a much more ideal track engine than the N55. It's a closed deck block with air to water cooling. It'll have less heat soak and more long term reliability and track reliability.

OG M2 wins in looks, suspension, lap times (assumption), less weight (400lbs), brakes?, option for manual transmission/RWD for drifts

M240i xdrive wins in comfort, engine (reliability and power), launching, tuning potential, luxury, and 8 speed ZF (I prefer to the DCT). To me it seems like the perfect sized car as well. I'd prefer the extra bulk for the daily driving.

Two great cars that are made for two different reasons. They both win in their respective areas
Agreed.

The M240i is not a pure "track car". Then why the heck review it like it was supposed to be a track car and then find fault because it isn't a track car. That's my problem with that "review".

Why not put the M240i up against an Audi S5 or other like car.

There is going to be a new M2 coming that will probably be a monster.

My complaint is not with either car but with the review and the premises of the review and what appears to be reviewer and new M2 owner bias.

Bob
Bias reviewing is a real thing with cars. I'm hoping the new M2 will have the xdrive option. That's something I really want. Worst case scenario we get the 2nd gear launch control for the RWD which is still good enough to keep me satisfied but would leave me disappointed.

With anything in life, it's important to understand who is saying what and what their framework of mind is. Like the reviewer said, he's a track focused driver so of course he would side with the M2. He could've done better being more subjective and not focusing on what he likes and highlight what's great about both cars but eh, he tried I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #78
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Willing to bet that the M240i is faster around the track too compared to the OG M2 which was never that impressive performance wise anyway.
OG M2 faster on the Nordschleife vs G82

Such a slug… 💨

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...me-166701.html

7:30 for the RWD M4

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1183789

7:58 for OG M2
I clearly have the track wrong

Or it was the short track

OG does well still

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/hockenheim-short

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1242890

This was done in 2015-2016 with the base F82 M4 at the time according to the date stamps on bimmerpost. This makes sense because the OG was faster than a F82 M4 on streets of willow (los angeles based track) by the hands of Randy Pobst. Both cars were manual and the M4 was in standard non-comp form with carbon roof, CCB and cloth seats.

These tracks are very small and the difference in power doesn't come into play because there's no room to use it. Both cars have the same technology and suspension set up so it comes down to weight and braking essentially.

According to the hockenheim shorts lap times page the list goes as according

M4 GTS
M2 (CS I believe, I don't see the comp being over 3 seconds a lap faster than the OG on such a small track)
M4 Comp
M3 F80
M2 (same lap time as F80)
And M4 (.10 a second slower than OG)

The G82 is a huge step up in all forms, especially auto and xdrive. In another test on a local British track which was also small in size, the xdrive form was half a second faster than its RWD only form. With the bump in power and tech/suspension, I would imagine a RWD G82 (not even the AWD) would best the M4 GTS on a track, leaving it to absolutely destroy everything else.

With that said, the new M2 should be the fast track version of all M cars once again, especially with a tune. If they leave the AWD out then my theory might not come true but time will tell.

G82 RWD Nurburgring time - 7:30
F82 M4 - 7:52

That's a MASSIVE step up.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN17504.00
EXE462100.00
      12-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #79
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Funny that when the turbo M’s first came along, the “purity” argument was used against them. Now that they’re old hat it’s the other way around. Seems like it’s mostly used as a defensive term whenever something new comes out.
Appreciate 1
SN1P3211.50
      12-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #80
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Willing to bet that the M240i is faster around the track too compared to the OG M2 which was never that impressive performance wise anyway.
OG M2 faster on the Nordschleife vs G82

Such a slug… 💨

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...me-166701.html

7:30 for the RWD M4

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1183789

7:58 for OG M2
I clearly have the track wrong

Or it was the short track

OG does well still

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/hockenheim-short

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1242890

This was done in 2015-2016 with the base F82 M4 at the time according to the date stamps on bimmerpost. This makes sense because the OG was faster than a F82 M4 on streets of willow (los angeles based track) by the hands of Randy Pobst). Both cars were manual and the M4 was in standard non-comp form with carbon roof, CCB and cloth seats.

These tracks are very small and the difference in power doesn't come into play because there's no room to use it. Both cars have the same technology and suspension set up so it comes down to weight and braking essentially.

According to the hockenheim shorts lap times page the list goes as according

M4 GTS
M2 (CS I believe, I don't see the comp being over 3 seconds a lap faster than the OG on such a small track)
M4 Comp
M3 F80
M2 (same lap time as F80)
And M4 (.10 a second slower than OG)

The G82 is a massive step up in all forms, especially auto and xdrive. In another test on a local British track which was also small in size, the xdrive form was half a second faster than its RWD only form. With the bump in power and tech/suspension, I would imagine a RWD G82 (not even the AWD) would best the M4 GTS on a track, leaving it to absolutely destroy everything else.

With that said, the new M2 should be the fast track version of all M cars once again, especially with a tune. If they leave the AWD out then my theory might not come true but time will tell.

G82 RWD Nurburgring time - 7:30
F82 M4 - 7:52

That's a MASSIVE step up.
Yeah that's a huge difference

12-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #81
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Correction to my previous post. The M4 GTS posted a 7:37 lap time on the ring versus the comp (RWD) G82's 7:30, leaving us to wonder what the AWD or GTS/CSL versions would do.

*corrected this post. My lap times were off. Both lap times posted now are from the same automotive drivers/tests
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 02:46 PM   #82
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Correction to my previous post. The M4 GTS posted a 7:27 lap time on the ring versus the comp (RWD) G82's 7:30, leaving us to wonder what the AWD or GTS/CSL versions would do.
The 7:27 time was posted by a BMW factory driver and not directly comparable with G82's lap time driven by Sport Auto.

Same Sport Auto driver got 7:37 with the M4 GTS so G82 still 7 seconds faster even against most hardcore track version of F8x platform.
EXE462100.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      12-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #83
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

Omg, PlayStation 5 is faster than PlayStation 4 pro, I can't believe it… anyone one to bet ps5 pro will be faster than ps5?
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 3
      12-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #84
Stef
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

When I bought my N55 M2 four years ago, I dit it because I fell in love with:

The looks of the car
The sound of the car (N55 with M Performance exhause).

What I have seen and heard so far (about the G42) makes me want to keep my OG M2, no doubt about it! Still cant wait to see the new M2!
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #85
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
M240iX about 1750kgs/3850lbs....

My Comp is about 3560lbs blue brakes, manual seats. EU spec.

Cheers
Robin
Blue brakes save 32lbs versus the big brakes.

Manual saves about 40-60lbs versus DCT

So hypothetically your comp with the bigger brakes and DCT would weight 3650lbs roughly. Throw in the sunroof (60-80lbs) and front diff of the xdrive (150-200lbs) and you're at 3800-3900lbs.

When we dig deeper into the difference of why the M240i xdrive weighs what it does, it makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #86
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
M2 OG vs Comp
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #87
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
So, if the new M240 had just been named the 240 would there have been as much uproar?
Appreciate 5
      12-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #88
giolanzarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
So, if the new M240 had just been named the 240 would there have been as much uproar?
Probably not. These "real m" fanboys would say something like "sure it's faster and better in almost every way to my 2018 M2 but I have an "M" badge on my car and less weight. So I hate the new 240".
Appreciate 4