home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

10-10-2023, 06:01 PM   #1
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

All - I decided to create this thread to hopefully unify any conversations regarding iDrive 8 (OS8) and BimmerCode. There are currently several threads with information spread all across this forum. Hopefully this thread can be used for all discussions moving forward for an easy reference point.

Prerequisites:
Process:
  1. Enter your vehicle’s diagnostic mode by pressing Start/Stop 3-times fast without foot on brake pedal.
  2. Plug in your adapter to the OBD2 port in the driver’s footwell.
  3. Connect your phone/mobile device with your adapter. Process is specific to the adapter you are using.
  4. It is recommended to disable your vehicle’s WiFi / CarPlay to prevent unwanted interruptions when coding.
  5. Open the BimmerCode app and specify your adapter.
  6. Updated: G42 2-series is now officially supported, no need to select “3-Series, M3” when prompted to select your vehicle.
  7. Turn off headlights, climate control, radio, etc. to conserve battery when coding to prevent battery depletion. Optional: connect a battery charger.
  8. Begin coding…

Coding Examples:

To kick off the conversation, here is a list of all of the “modifications” I am currently running that were coded via BimmerCode.

Startup warning message delete:
- Headunit > Warning at startup > “Not active”

Mirror tilt value:
- Body domain controller > Mirrors > Auto mirror tilt value > select percentage, I chose 30

Comfort+ drive mode:
- Body domain controller > Expert mode > FesComfortWorldMode1 > “ComfortPlus” > CODE
- Body domain controller > Default Driving Mode (optional)
- Headunit > Expert mode > Fes_Comfort_Plus > Aktiv
- Eco_Conf_Steering_Comfplus > Aktiv
- Eco_Conf_Attenuation_Comfpl > Aktiv
- CODE

Hazard with emergency braking:
- Body domain controller > Lighting > Hazard warning…

Seat belt reminder off:
- Advanced crash safety module > seatbelt reminder (driver and passenger)

Rear camera zoom (top down view of rear)
- Headunit > Expert mode > Macro_trailer_coupling > active

Anti Dazzle Headlights:
- Body domain controller > expert mode:
- La1:
- C_BLC_Pre_Ena = enable
- LUT_FLC_forwardlighting_Y = AFS
- La2:
- C_Afs_eco_level3_ena = enable
- C_Afs_ena = enable
- La3
- Lut_afs_codrv_hor = standard/init
- Lut_Afs_Drv_hor = F040_G005…
- C_Clc_curv_v2 = ECE
- C_Clc_curv_v3 = ECE
- C_Clc_Ext_Ena = enable
- C_Hba_Dim_ena = enable
- C_Hba_Gfhba_ena_v_hi = standard
- C_Hba_Gfhb_ena = enable.
- Code.

Change default ambient lighting color:
- Body domain controller > First color (default color is what is getting set)
- Color contour = set
- Color = set

Rolls Royce / older BMW chimes:
- Receiver Audio Module > Signal Tones

No longer working after a recent iDrive update:

Auto start/stop memory:
- Engine control unit > Auto start stop function memory > Active
- Auto start stop function > Not active

Most headunit/gage cluster related items appears to be locked at the moment. For example, coding top speed (V max) and ///M style gage cluster layout. This is possibly encrypted in iDrive 8 but hopefully support may come in the future.

Last edited by TJZ67201; 10-11-2023 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 14
grooveK111.00
redcars102.00
Coconut751.00
apez649.50
BlueLEDz153.00
Fidiman113.00
Sonic RR118.50
VegasG42373.50
Kay.Say15.00
      10-10-2023, 09:24 PM   #2
BlueLEDz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 230i

Thanks for posting this in one place. Like many, I’ve pieced together the different options from multiple post.

There are reason why I avoid doing updates, always regret

I have mine set to start in sports individual.
The anti dizzel headlights is amazing. I often wonder what it looks like from the prospective of the car in front of me.

I tried Hazard with emergency braking, but got some lighting error. Was able to fix it by reverting to a backup. Possibly I selected the wrong setting 🤷‍♂️
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201842.50
      10-10-2023, 10:36 PM   #3
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLEDz View Post
Thanks for posting this in one place. Like many, I’ve pieced together the different options from multiple post.

There are reason why I avoid doing updates, always regret

I have mine set to start in sports individual.
The anti dizzel headlights is amazing. I often wonder what it looks like from the prospective of the car in front of me.

I tried Hazard with emergency braking, but got some lighting error. Was able to fix it by reverting to a backup. Possibly I selected the wrong setting 🤷‍♂️
I just coded anti dazzle last week and finally saw it in action last night for the first time. It’s crazy to see the beam move and to still have brights when there is an oncoming car! Can’t wait to test it out more but I don’t drive much since I work from home.

I didn’t get any errors when I coded the hazard lights but I also didn’t test it out yet. Will report back once I’m able to test some more
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 01:33 AM   #4
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240

I’ve had my share of WiFi adapters but by far the fastest and most reliable is a OBD to USB-C adapter!

I’ve never entered diagnostic mode before coding. What is the purpose of that?

ASS is permenantly disabled for me - I’ve never had an issue with it through all ID8 software updates. Not sure why my car is an exception while others are stuck with it. I code ASS disabled + ASS memory.
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR118.50
      10-11-2023, 07:39 AM   #5
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayritchie View Post
I’ve had my share of WiFi adapters but by far the fastest and most reliable is a OBD to USB-C adapter!

I’ve never entered diagnostic mode before coding. What is the purpose of that?

ASS is permenantly disabled for me - I’ve never had an issue with it through all ID8 software updates. Not sure why my car is an exception while others are stuck with it. I code ASS disabled + ASS memory.
You Sir, are unique!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 07:55 AM   #6
RICH S202
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW m240i

I tried to change ambient color but it wouldn't work at all
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 07:59 AM   #7
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

It DOES work.
Code the Bronze to whatever color you want from the available options—its the top, 'default' color. Then when you select it in iDrive later, the onscreen menu still shows the Bronze, but the ambient lights will actually be the color you coded. You can see the purple in these photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT; 10-11-2023 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
TJZ67201842.50
PP3121357.50
      10-11-2023, 08:03 AM   #8
RICH S202
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Do you mean bronze?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 08:47 AM   #9
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH S202 View Post
Do you mean bronze?
Yup, and I changed it in my post.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 09:04 AM   #10
darkvader0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

There was something we could code to improve the sound of the Harmon Kardin system (maybe all of them?). Does anyone have knowledge about that one? I was looking for it and can't find it now.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 09:09 AM   #11
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
To kick off the conversation, here is a list of all of the “modifications” I am currently running that were coded via BimmerCode.
Are you able to comment on these two settings:

I get the other comfort plus options relate to suspension damping. Is comfort plus steering even lighter than standard comfort steering? And what is attenuation? I assume these can be not set to active if not wanted? I have no desire for the steering to be any lighter.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 09:52 AM   #12
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
Are you able to comment on these two settings:

I get the other comfort plus options relate to suspension damping. Is comfort plus steering even lighter than standard comfort steering? And what is attenuation? I assume these can be not set to active if not wanted? I have no desire for the steering to be any lighter.
To my understanding, these 2 lines of code allow you to select Comfort Plus options when configuring your Eco Individual settings in iDrive. I don’t believe these settings are required but most guides suggest coding them.

I notice that you have to turn the wheel slightly more with Comfort Plus steering, for example, when taking a corner at speed on the highway. It doesn’t feel any lighter but slightly more input is required. In my opinion it feels like the steering is less sensitive to input. The plus side of this being that you need to micro-correct slightly less to stay on center when cruising for a long ride on the highway.

My overall opinion of Comfort Plus is very positive. Noticeably softer suspension but almost to the point where it feels unsettling when taking corners at speed (I suffer from the “rear suspension thump” issue but almost never hear it with C+). Shifting is also slightly different, smoother as it hold gears slightly longer instead of trying to be as efficient as possible. Trans also decouples from the engine when stopped so you don’t feel drivetrain vibration
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 10:42 AM   #13
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvader0 View Post
There was something we could code to improve the sound of the Harmon Kardin system (maybe all of them?). Does anyone have knowledge about that one? I was looking for it and can't find it now.
The result is subjective, but you can code the Bowers and Wilkins sound profiles using the 3 Series parameters in Bimmercode. They reside in the standard options, they are not hidden in expert mode.

I coded B&W to mine. To my ears, it's only marginally better to my liking using the Concert setting. It's not tremendously different, but slightly more to the overall sound profile I prefer. Some do not like it, some do. It's worth a try.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2023, 01:16 PM   #14
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
The result is subjective, but you can code the Bowers and Wilkins sound profiles using the 3 Series parameters in Bimmercode. They reside in the standard options, they are not hidden in expert mode.

I coded B&W to mine. To my ears, it's only marginally better to my liking using the Concert setting. It's not tremendously different, but slightly more to the overall sound profile I prefer. Some do not like it, some do. It's worth a try.
I think setting up the EQ in the standard sound settings yields a much better result. Just look up a YouTube video on how to fine-tune equalizers. Having this option from the factory is one of the reasons that initially turned me onto BMW
Appreciate 2
BlueLEDz153.00
      10-11-2023, 02:04 PM   #15
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think setting up the EQ in the standard sound settings yields a much better result. Just look up a YouTube video on how to fine-tune equalizers. Having this option from the factory is one of the reasons that initially turned me onto BMW
The built in multiband EQ was my starting point before coding in B&W, but I still agree with this point. I had it tuned about as good as I felt I could before frequencies were getting too tinny or muddy. Adding the B&W on top tweaked the sound just barely enough to make it a tiny bit more to my liking. It didn't sound hugely different in Concert mode, it was definitely like the surround was off when in Pure mode.

I bet I would get even cleaner results with lower surround (mine is set to mid) but I've been liking the mild surround effect, it adds some room to the sound and doesn't sound like it's only in your ears.

It has baffled me that other OEMs don't offer a multiband EQ as an "advanced" option that you could choose. Some cars only offer bass and treble, not even mid. I'm sure cost saving comes into play since very few consumers would use it, but honestly how much can it possibly cost to program? I'm very glad I have the option.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201842.50
      10-11-2023, 04:22 PM   #16
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

What EQ settings are people using?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 04:24 PM   #17
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
What EQ settings are people using?
I think that question should warrant its own thread, otherwise we'll end up too far off base on this one. It's also subjective, so you'll see many preferences.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201842.50
      10-11-2023, 06:38 PM   #18
BlueLEDz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just coded anti dazzle last week and finally saw it in action last night for the first time. It’s crazy to see the beam move and to still have brights when there is an oncoming car! Can’t wait to test it out more but I don’t drive much since I work from home.

I didn’t get any errors when I coded the hazard lights but I also didn’t test it out yet. Will report back once I’m able to test some more
Nothing is as wild as when cars are in front of you and both left and right side brights turn on. It’s just crazy to see.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 06:40 PM   #19
bmwdaddym240
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240

Garage List
2023 Bmw M240  [0.00]
Quote:

What’s hazard light?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 06:42 PM   #20
BlueLEDz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH S202 View Post
Whatever color you have selected in ID8 is the color you can code.

For example if you want to change emerald to something else, then select emerald before you start coding.

So if there is a default color you want to keep, don’t have that selected when you code your new color.

If you selected the wrong thing you can always revert from the automatic backup.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 06:42 PM   #21
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdaddym240 View Post
What’s hazard light?
Hazard lights turn on with emergency braking.

Quote:
Hazard with emergency braking:
- Body domain controller > Lighting > Hazard warning…
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 08:35 PM   #22
RICH S202
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLEDz View Post
Whatever color you have selected in ID8 is the color you can code.

For example if you want to change emerald to something else, then select emerald before you start coding.

So if there is a default color you want to keep, don’t have that selected when you code your new color.

If you selected the wrong thing you can always revert from the automatic backup.
So i figured it out. Whatever colour you code comes up when you select the "bronze" colour on the id8 screen. Thanks for your help fellas 👍
Appreciate 0