E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Better wear sensors?

02-13-2023, 05:51 PM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Better wear sensors?

Got another light today... rear brake pads. Why does the light come on when there's tons of meat left on the pads? Are there any sensors available that will let me drive until the pads are actually worn out without having my dash lit up like a Christmas tree? I swear I've put more brakes on this car than all the other vehicles I've owned put together. It's also the only one with wear sensors...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 08:48 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Got another light today... rear brake pads. Why does the light come on when there's tons of meat left on the pads? Are there any sensors available that will let me drive until the pads are actually worn out without having my dash lit up like a Christmas tree? I swear I've put more brakes on this car than all the other vehicles I've owned put together. It's also the only one with wear sensors...
The sensors are stupid. They come on when there is like 40% left. If you're a car guy like me, it's better to physically look at them during an oil change or a tire swap.

Cut the sensor off and twist the two peices of wires together to complete the circuit. You can use electrical tape or something to keep them protected. This will keep the light from ever coming on again. Do this for the front and rear passanger side. Just wait till they squeal, shake, or when you notice they are low.
avocet273.00
feuer4283.50
      02-14-2023, 03:16 AM   #3
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Agreed. However, if you have cruise control it will cause excessive rear brake pad wear because the brakes cut in to maintain speed when you're going downhill...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2023, 07:52 AM   #4
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
The sensors are stupid. They come on when there is like 40% left. If you're a car guy like me, it's better to physically look at them during an oil change or a tire swap.

Cut the sensor off and twist the two peices of wires together to complete the circuit. You can use electrical tape or something to keep them protected. This will keep the light from ever coming on again. Do this for the front and rear passanger side. Just wait till they squeal, shake, or when you notice they are low.
This 100%. My brake sensor was going off, replaced the pads (didn't need too), and then the damn thing busted in half trying to install it again. I spliced the wires and tucked behind the brakes. Haven't had an issue since.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 11:12 AM   #5
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Agreed. However, if you have cruise control it will cause excessive rear brake pad wear because the brakes cut in to maintain speed when you're going downhill...
Does all cruise control do this or only
If you have the hill decent on?
Either way this has nothing to do with the brake pad wear sensor wire.
      02-14-2023, 11:37 AM   #6
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Does all cruise control do this or only
If you have the hill decent on?
Either way this has nothing to do with the brake pad wear sensor wire.
Cruise on my BMW maintains the correct speed even going downhill. Which means of course, the brakes have to be applied. I only mentioned this because the OP implied that his pads seemed to wear out quickly...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 11:39 AM   #7
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Cruise on my BMW maintains the correct speed even going downhill. Which means of course, the brakes have to be applied. I only mentioned this because the OP implied that his pads seemed to wear out quickly...
Oh Gotcha! I think he meant the sensor light comes on fast cuz they get activated at 40% which is kinda silly.
      02-15-2023, 06:14 AM   #8
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I commute from basically DC to Baltimore (actually College Park to BWI), I'm not even sure my cruise control works :P
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 06:16 AM   #9
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But they don't. I can see right through the wheels that I have almost half my pads left, unless a slider is hung up and one of the inside pads is excessively worn, but I doubt it. I replaced them all ~4 years ago and drove the car very infrequently since due to the pandemic and then also having parked it for ~1 year due to the rear diff going out. Just started driving it regularly within the last month or so because my other vehicles are being difficult.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 05:08 PM   #10
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

The brake sensor is quite crude and fairly accurate. It's a one-time use part as it's like a beer can that when crushed completes an electrical circuit to indicate on the dash.

These are built as luxury cars, not cars that you ignore the squealing brakes till stopping becomes a hope and prayer event
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2023, 11:50 AM   #11
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

crashoverride You wouldn't believe see the trash pile vehicles driving on the streets in Indianapolis.
I've seen bald tires, bald spare tires, NO LIGHTS at all, cars driving on three wheels, side impact damage, plastic windows, it's next level over here.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 07:34 PM   #12
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
The brake sensor is quite crude and fairly accurate. It's a one-time use part as it's like a beer can that when crushed completes an electrical circuit to indicate on the dash.

These are built as luxury cars, not cars that you ignore the squealing brakes till stopping becomes a hope and prayer event
Actually no! It is not accurate and when crashed the electrical circuit is incomplete thus the light on the dash. This happens with about half life left on the pads as others have stated above. To complete the electricle ciruit peple connect the two wires of the sensors. Also, nothing luxury about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 02:56 AM   #13
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
Which cars do you drive with worn out brakes??
Appreciate 0