2018 M2  [8.99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn SoCal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
what's "M2" about this?
not sure I understand
some mods don't make an M2.
Agree. Just say M240 not M2. They are technically both M cars anyways in their own segment so not sure the comparison verbiage.
///Marketing

One is a true ///M

The other a quasi m
Ezio380.00
JonDT10.50
      09-21-2022, 01:20 AM   #25
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Oh god not the M car debate again
Appreciate 6
      09-21-2022, 01:29 AM   #26
Red_sir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Lol here come the M zealots...

Anyway, car looks great Slingray.
Appreciate 2
      09-21-2022, 02:16 AM   #27
azuki
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Oh god not the M car debate again
yeah- 230i/m240i debates, id7/id8 debates, m240i/m2 debates...lol!
Appreciate 3
      09-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #28
Autobahn SoCal
BMW CCA - ///M Chapter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (G87)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
what's "M2" about this?
not sure I understand
some mods don't make an M2.
Agree. Just say M240 not M2. They are technically both M cars anyways in their own segment so not sure the comparison verbiage.
///Marketing

One is a true ///M

The other a quasi m
I guess some people aren't aware that M performance cars and M cars are both part of M GmbH worldwide sales figures because M division has engineering in both cars, they are not included in main BMW sales figures, they are both M cars in different segments. People may confuse "M Sport" which has nothing to do with M division and is simply aesthetic and blanket marketing.

AMG has the same thing with their 35 and 45 cars this isn't anything new.
Appreciate 4
KJ10498.50
Red_sir134.50
ham34085.50
TruthOne1082.50
      09-21-2022, 09:56 AM   #29
co_pa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 m340ix

op is clearly being tongue-in-cheek. coming from a multiple ///m owner, chill out.

nice work, op.
      09-21-2022, 11:37 AM   #30
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
I guess some people aren't aware that M performance cars and M cars are both part of M GmbH worldwide sales figures because M division has engineering in both cars, they are not included in main BMW sales figures, they are both M cars in different segments. People may confuse "M Sport" which has nothing to do with M division and is simply aesthetic and blanket marketing.

AMG has the same thing with their 35 and 45 cars this isn't anything new.
Exactly, all you have to do is go to the BMW website and try building one. It's under the "M" category now. I suppose they did that to stop all the crying about what's a real M and what's not. Nobody ever said these were full on M Cars.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 08:51 PM   #31
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the car.

Ive been very fortunate to have owned incredible M cars like my f series M4 and 991.2 and 992 911s, so yes, I'm having a but of fun with the title.

All I can say is if my modded M240i is anything to go by the new full fat M2 will be incredible, just like pretty much every M car ever made. I do have a $1,000 deposit on an G87 build slot but I will consider staying with the G42, the car is that good in partocular xdrive availability will be determining factor and my personal preference is for ID7.

BMW have made such an incredible platform across the 2, 3 and 4 G series building on a long legacy and surely some of the best cars on the road alongside the best 911s, etc.
Appreciate 1
TruthOne1082.50
      09-22-2022, 07:29 AM   #32
R44 Performance
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Part of the process%E2%80%A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBaron View Post
M240i Modifications to date
  1. MSS Height Adjustable Springs
  2. Staggered 20x10/19x9 inch Forged Rims with PS4s
  3. Functional M1, M2 steering buttons
  4. BMW M Sport Dash, HUD, Drift Analyzer, etc
  5. Dinan CAI
  6. Active Autowerks High Flow Cat
  7. JB4 with WCG
  8. Custom Exhaust with OPF Delete
  9. Carbon Lip Spoiler, Mirrors

I'll address some common questions:-

The videos take a lot of time to produce and add a lot of overhead to just modifying the car. I typically don't take the time but hopefully, someone finds a video useful. If not, that's fine. I try to respond to questions but not keyboard warriors. I don't claim to be a professional mechanic, if I can perform a mod at home and film it, so can you. The G42 is a brilliant platform for modding. Enjoy it!

I've owned several F series Beemers, M4, M435i, M235i, and also currently own a G series X6. The G series is a massive step up and a hugely impressive platform.

The MSS Springs are fantastic springs. A small gripe I had with the car was the body roll when in a quick left-right slalom type manoeuvre, the MSS have completely sharpened the roll, reduced height, COG, etc, etc, etc and the ride quality is essentially stock in feel, very negligible.

The biggest benefit of the height adjustable nature is to ensure the front to rear rake of the car is correct. The rear is +10mm from factory and should remain between +5 - +10mm when lowered. Many aftermarket springs seem to overlook this and just dump the car as far as possible all around. This can mess with the weight distribution and everything associated (pitch under braking for example).

MSS ride great, reduce roll, remove the wheel gap with the lowering and allow the height to be adjusted to maintain front to rear rake, while controlling the height as the springs settle over time. Recommended.

MSS Springs

The JB4 is documented to lift the car to about 450hp. I feels like more when behind the wheel, there is a decent on street performance kick from ~384hp to ~450hp. I run it on Map 5, target 21PSI increase but only with my high flow catted DP which removes back pressure from the stock turbo so it is a bit happier running at this pressure. I also had to run JB4 alpha software v21 otherwise the car would occasionally pull timing at around 3,800RPM under max load. v21 rectified this and the car runs well with the JB4. I continue to monitor logs and watch for new software to be released.

You will need to connect the waste gate controller and OBD controller to get the most from the JB4.

JB4 Installation

This is genuine M Performance carbon trim and it looks fantastic, it genuinely lifts the feel of the interior with a matte carbon finish and while a little expensive, it is worthwhile.
Easy installation, but some people have problems with the shifter install as the harness that connects the shifter can be fragile. Take your time.

M Performance Carbon Trim

The M Sport dash is directly from the M3/M4 and have full functionality. The drift analyzer seems to leverage the cars speed, roll, pitch and traction sensors. The HUD also works and functions like it does in the M3/M4.

BMW M Sport Dash, HUD, Drift Analyzer, etc

The M1, M2 buttons used the same part number as the M3/M4 but function differently, you can't have a custom M1 or M2 program with the buttons, the software just doesn't support it. You can however cycle through Sport>Sport Plus>Sport Indv>Comfort>Eco, and back via the buttons similarly to pressing the mode button several times on the gear plate.

M1, M2 Buttons

People have asked for a video of the active grills in action, so here it is.

Active Grills

The Dinan CAI sounds great, looks great, is reasonably priced and will add as much HP that any CAI adds and that you choose to believe. The Venturi CAI has an added benefit of drawing air from under the front wheel well, you can mod the Dinan to do the same thing with a hole-saw and a piece of tubing.

Active Autowerks High Flow Cat is guaranteed not to through a CEL and I have had no issues. It should remove back pressure from the turbo, for higher sustained PSI and faster spool. It adds a deeper tone to the exhaust and is 10-15% louder then stock with the cat fitted.

The M2/3/4 features staggered 20" rear and 19" front wheels, this setup is the same. These rims are wider then the stock G42 but not nearly as wide as the massive rubber no the M cars. The car already had massive amounts of grip, but going + size all around has made it an animal in terms of road holding and control. The car launches even harder under launch control as the wheel slip sensors seem to be calibrated and traction on the stock car is the limiting factor. PS4's are brilliant in all conditions. The forged wheels are lighter to lift, I haven't put them in a scale but I will do so next time I pull them. Unpsrung weight will be reduced at all 4 corners. Well worth the upgrade.

I'm working on videos for the exhaust, M1/M2, wheels, etc. They take time, apologies in advance.

** Disclaimer the M240i is no way, shape or form a true "M" car. It has no association, and shares no common architecture such as CLAR. The "ZF" gear box is the same in name only, the true M car ZF is assembled by himalayan virgins and blessed by unicorns. The ZF in the M240i is a trashcan with some busted gears thrown in. The S58 is no way based on the B58, the fact they are both 3.0l straight 6 is purely co-incidental. Real M cars, made for real M men and all other inferior BMW's have absolutely nothing in common, not a single, bolt, washer, interior, chassis, drivetrain components, etc, etc. **

The G42 is a brilliant platform for modding and will keep us going until the much anticipated G87 ships.

Enjoy it!
Crazy build there! Our car is coming along nicely and I can't believe the power and performance we are getting out of it already. had me in tears with that disclaimer also xD
Appreciate 1
M Division1200.50
      09-22-2022, 08:16 AM   #33
Jonesymx29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M240i xDrive

Blessed by unicorns? I'll show that to my gf tonight! She wasn't on board with the 2 series but she will be now lol
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 12:35 AM   #34
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesymx29 View Post
Blessed by unicorns? I'll show that to my gf tonight! She wasn't on board with the 2 series but she will be now lol
Haha i hope that helps! My missus loves my 240! Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 08:34 AM   #35
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

So.. no details on how the drivetrain was configurable to RWD then eh?
      09-26-2022, 08:06 AM   #36
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
So.. no details on how the drivetrain was configurable to RWD then eh?
Yeah tried it yesterday works welll!

Last edited by BeemerBaron; 09-26-2022 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 09:21 AM   #37
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBaron View Post
Guess not eh
He said he didn’t try it.
Now all his videos are private. Lol

I get wanting to be the only one to do something but why post about it with a video talking about it and not tell people when they ask.

Kinda like those people who get wraps but won’t tell the color or get a wheel setup but won’t tell the specs lol
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 10:58 AM   #38
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
He said he didn’t try it.
Now all his videos are private. Lol

I get wanting to be the only one to do something but why post about it with a video talking about it and not tell people when they ask.

Kinda like those people who get wraps but won’t tell the color or get a wheel setup but won’t tell the specs lol
Like i said in an ealier post im finishing the DIY for the rwd, M dash, M head up display and M1, M2 buttons etc this week and will add it to the rest. All the diys and tutorials are still there, theyre just private, you just need to be added so you can access.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2022, 08:04 AM   #39
M Division
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M24, X6, R34 GTR

[QUOTE=WRS_ATL;29351658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingray View Post
M240i Modifications to date
  1. MSS Height Adjustable Springs
  2. Staggered 20x10/19x9 inch Forged Rims with PS4s
  3. Functional M1, M2 steering buttons
  4. BMW M Sport Dash, HUD, Drift Analyzer, etc
  5. Dinan CAI
  6. Active Autowerks High Flow Cat
  7. JB4 with WCG
  8. Custom Exhaust with OPF Delete
  9. Carbon Lip Spoiler, Mirrors

Super helpful videos, thank you! I have a BSM '23 arriving next month and will install MSS springs and a JB4, among other items. A couple of questions.

(1) How low did you go with the MSS Springs? Are you happy with the ride quality?

(2) I have a Milltek exhaust on the way but am also considering the AA high flow cat... any drone? No CEL? What's your impression of it?

This build is epic!

Love the videos!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 03:52 PM   #40
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
Wheels are nice too

Koya SF10