BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Exterior Modifications

04-18-2024, 01:45 PM   #23
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

I feel I can do the sodeskirts as AutoID sideskirts simply use the existing hardware found on the sides of the car. I plan on getting then the rear defuser wonglets and that also uses existing hatdware which makes it easy. Just not sure about the front splitter (will have to watch a video again) the spoiler. Fishing line, something to get the goo off, and then plan proper placement of new spoiler?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 02:49 PM   #24
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
I feel I can do the sodeskirts as AutoID sideskirts simply use the existing hardware found on the sides of the car. I plan on getting then the rear defuser wonglets and that also uses existing hatdware which makes it easy. Just not sure about the front splitter (will have to watch a video again) the spoiler. Fishing line, something to get the goo off, and then plan proper placement of new spoiler?
Spoiler, ahh, I tried that on my F87.

I added so many clear coat scratches trying to clean off the original adhesive that I had to bring it to a shop to buff it and install the new spoiler.

There is a special 3M adhesive remover wheel (needs a power tool) that I've seen people use.

I also watched a video yesterday where some guy covered the old adhesive with toilet paper and soaked it, letting it sit for a while. Seemed to work.

Not something I want to try again, honestly, until I have my own garage with a proper set of tools.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76755.00
      04-18-2024, 02:55 PM   #25
Ronin76
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
Spoiler, ahh, I tried that on my F87.

I added so many clear coat scratches trying to clean off the original adhesive that I had to bring it to a shop to buff it and install the new spoiler.

There is a special 3M adhesive remover wheel (needs a power tool) that I've seen people use.

I also watched a video yesterday where some guy covered the old adhesive with toilet paper and soaked it, letting it sit for a while. Seemed to work.

Not something I want to try again, honestly, until I have my own garage with a proper set of tools.
I saw the same vid with the toilet paper and using fishline does give me hesitation which is why I have been kicking around the idea of just getting the M Performance spoiler installed at the port.

Yeah, it won’t go edge to edge on the trunk but I know it will be of good quality and I won’t have to worry about taking the OEM one off and putting a new one on.

My main issues have been the splitter and aide skirts as I do not like the M Performance versions of those parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 03:33 PM   #26
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
I saw the same vid with the toilet paper and using fishline does give me hesitation which is why I have been kicking around the idea of just getting the M Performance spoiler installed at the port.

Yeah, it won’t go edge to edge on the trunk but I know it will be of good quality and I won’t have to worry about taking the OEM one off and putting a new one on.

My main issues have been the splitter and aide skirts as I do not like the M Performance versions of those parts.
The fishing line is the easy part.

I preferred to have all that stuff installed at port also, but same as you I do not like the M Perf parts.

The M Perf spoiler was out of stock during my build so I ordered it from iND. However I did not like how big and chunky it was when it arrived. It's not sleek like the spoilers that come on the M3/M4 comp.

It's still sitting in my closet.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 10:39 PM   #27
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
I've installed them on cars in the past. It really isn't difficult. You just need the ramps and proper tools. A second person can be helpful for the larger side skirts.

I'd definitely do it myself if I had the space.

I also added the MHC+ V Style spoiler to my order, but haven't decided if I actually want to install it yet.
I like it! But I'm always partial to the color-contrasting spoilers anyway, so take my vote with a grain of salt. LOL

But might need to invest in some ramps!
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2024, 07:31 AM   #28
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

I don't use fishing line because you can end up scratching the trunk lid. Start at one edge with a thin plastic pry tool & pry up the corner. Then just gently work your way along the spoiler pulling up as you go.
Appreciate 2
xtougher569.50
Ronin76755.00
      04-20-2024, 08:57 AM   #29
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I don't use fishing line because you can end up scratching the trunk lid. Start at one edge with a thin plastic pry tool & pry up the corner. Then just gently work your way along the spoiler pulling up as you go.
I might end up trying this method. Gonna have to do it with the black M2 badge too.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76755.00
      04-20-2024, 02:17 PM   #30
Ronin76
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtougher View Post
I might end up trying this method. Gonna have to do it with the black M2 badge too.
Fingers crossed and god speed.
Appreciate 1
xtougher569.50