02-16-2022, 10:28 AM   #947
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
But for sure some people like BMWs new designs. Just the lowly enthusiast that are getting the shaft. But it’s the same with every car company (no more manuals, huge, heavy AWD cars)
Lots of truth here.

Teutonic's post wasn't as dumb as folks want to imply. He said flat out it was among his friends and acknowledged that. I think it's an interesting point, or a theory at least I have, that - people can be leaving BMW over their car designs, and things like the above about the feel, weight, and so on. And yet BMW can still sell more cars as those customers are replaced with people who want those things. It's not mutually exclusive to lose customers and gain them both.

Some of us want light, fun, driver's cars without the "me too" styling. Others love feeling like they are driving a big cruiser with "modern" styling and guess what, that's fine too. Even when the M3 / M4 put up awesome numbers, it doesn't make them better. It just depends on what people are looking for, and not all are looking for what they've become vs. what they used to be. Some will leave, some will join.

As an example, I won't say that the BRZ / 86 is a better car than a 240i, but it's what like 1,000 lbs lighter? Come on BMW, let's at least have one car in the lineup that isn't built like a tank? If it's not economically viable, OK, I get it. But it'll be sad, and the people that don't care might consider acknowledging that there are some who do.
Appreciate 5
      02-16-2022, 11:04 AM   #948
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwman4life11 View Post
I'm an idiot and responded to the wrong person, my apologies
No worries, just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing my mind
      02-16-2022, 11:04 AM   #949
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Great anecdotal data. I know several lifelong AMG people that are willing to wait 5 months for an allocation. Time will tell.
Take is as you want.
Makes sense. Obviously BMW design did not convince them to switch boats; clearly is better to wait 5 months for the car that managed to have a conservative and widely acceptable design…
And if you are also a fan, makes more sense. I will do the same.
Maybe sound weird, yet I am a hardcore BMW fan; maybe that’s why it hurts more…

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
oh, so you dont like the grilles.

BTW, the new G80 interior is phenomenal, especially for the money. It's not a Bentley but it's pretty nice full leather.
Yes, I don’t like many things, including the grilles.
Yes, is ok. Is good, but far from phenomenal; very very few cars can claim such title. Maybe our perception of quality is different…?

I bought an 2021 M340i Individual M Performance Edition with a decent face instead of the M3. And is in full Merino.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #950
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
That's a little harsh.

Does BMW now have more lower entry vehicles? Absolutely. But you can't sit in a loaded X7/750/8 series and tell me previous generations were more "luxurious".
Sometimes I am thinking if it is harsh. After reviewing the quality BMWs used to have -indiferent of the model-, I realize that is not harsh at all.

Sure, top of the line are luxurious. But a "luxury" brand is luxury only for the top models? If yes, why the overal "luxury" nomenclature?
When you consider a manufacturer as being LUXURY, then you are taking into consideration the fact that every vehcile that comes out of its umbrella has certain attributes that can justify that. Right?

You can't hide under the luxury umbrella when tha majority of the vehicles sold are not top of the line. Remember the 3 Series bread and butter?
Or should BMW put the non luxury under the Mini umbrella?

But let's see some things that came up lately:

- luxury means a wonderful, well thought and balanced design. No scars in the middle of the hood because it is easier to install on the manufactoring line a front bumper that comes with headlamps and all that jazz installed by a way cheaper third party.

- No pantyhose materials on the interior pillars. What about that perfect thicker material that was not only more beautiful, offered a much visual and tactile experience and it was good acoustic insulator? My moms A1 headliner and pillars material looks waay better than my M X4 headliner material.

- no saggy mosquito panoramic shade that looks like crap, offers no perfect protection for the sun, or to play the role of the thermal insulator in the very cold months. Did I mention that is cheap and saggy? Do some of you remember the hard panoramic retractable top that not only was good, sturdy and beautiful without looking cheap, but also offered a proper sun protection and had a sun reflective attribute?

- No taillights that moved from LED to back to bulbs. (luxury much?)

- no M3 with gruesome front grilles and a 3 series regular rear door slapped in there totally destroying that gorgeous bulged rear fender. None sees how awkard that connection really is? That is actually a crime in design language. Cheap move. For the money of course.

- areas of the car that are no longer painted but rather sprayed and left antouched by the paint or clearcoat which does offer another layer of protection.

- Mini seats on BMW line up vehicles that are actually bigger than Mini, hence targeting a different, taller and bigger audience (not to mention the difference in price). They offer no leg support on long trips and they actually don't fit on vehicles that require a certain lenght due to the height of the seat position. Mini seats on the X1 and X2 which supposed to be actrually a very nice car. X2 had potential, yet those seats, that terrible interior with a phalic visual sore stick and the FWD set up ruined it.

- New CLAR platform that is shared -again- with Mini just because the money, not because it is good. No true XDrive but rather a Haldex system, connected to -again cheaper- Ainsin transmission. ZF rules big time over Ainsin. AND, the audacity and lying decision to call it xDrive. No, BMW that is not the xDrive. That is an Haldex.

- black shiny cheap plastic that found its way in most of the exterior of the car making it look literally LIKE SHIT after a few washes. Even if you install PPF from day one, you must be lucky to receive one without any scratches. Look at the mirrors plastic, front bumpers, rear bumpers, B pillars, front grilles, windows frame, etc. A luxury company will not use a material that looks terrible in a few days. Luxury means longevity and well chosen materials that can last.

- Elimination of interior cushion at the rear seats backseats. look at some of the new vehicles like the X1 and X2 and see that not only there is a rough plastic that replaces that hip/back cushion, but you can even see in the trunck or slide your hand in there.

- the screws that hold in place rear seats in some models are now visible and an eyesore. Luxury much?

- leather that is wrinkled since day one, with bad sewing that provides visual pockets and waves that can never be addressed (I have them in my X4). Even the new M3-M4 has it and is not the leather or whatever BS some claim. Is just a bad design that did not taken into consideration the way the leather will look and behave after some use. The pattern of the sewing place a tremendous role in the way the leather is kept in place and how it will look in the future.

- reducing the warranty of the vehicle is not a luxury move either. If you are a luxury manufacturer, offer peace of mind and stay behind your product. Or that only shows that that is the lebght of the peace of mind you are offering...

- cheap displays made by a cheap manufacturer, literally SCREWED on the dashboard with a design that show lack of respect for the vehicle's image and a very immature and cheap design.

- lack of central console just to reduce cost as there is no third seat in the front anyway.

- cheap under carriage protection with plastic shields that protect nothing. (some have a harder carpet, forget about a plastic shield. Even my M340 M Performance the under front bumper radiator is exposed pushing me towards a third party manufacturer to seek a protection.

- cheap frameless doors for electric cars with exposed rubber seal that looks absolutely horibble through that window...

Many many thing changed lately, and not in good but in bad. i can go on and on...
Very dissapointed by some things that were replaced with bad cheap things, or worse, removed because they cost money.

A luxury brand doesn't leave room for a cheap perception....
Appreciate 3
Jashue190.50
Mavus2031.00
      02-16-2022, 12:01 PM   #951
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Looking great. I'll probably step up to a non-AWD 6mt version once they work out some of the bugs, maybe an LCI. I actually like the look of this car. My only issue is the overhangs are quite long.
      02-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #952
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Take is as you want.
Makes sense. Obviously BMW design did not convince them to switch boats; clearly is better to wait 5 months for the car that managed to have a conservative and widely acceptable design…
And if you are also a fan, makes more sense. I will do the same.
Maybe sound weird, yet I am a hardcore BMW fan; maybe that’s why it hurts more…

Yes, I don’t like many things, including the grilles.
Yes, is ok. Is good, but far from phenomenal; very very few cars can claim such title. Maybe our perception of quality is different…?

I bought an 2021 M340i Individual M Performance Edition with a decent face instead of the M3. And is in full Merino.
"For the money." You ignored my modifying statement "for the money." The G80 is a 72k car plus options. It is not an S class mercedes, nor is it a bentley.

I have a GT3 allocation in manual i am building for production later this year. I think the interior of the G80 is much better quality, especially the bucket seats. I also spend a fair amount of time driving a Bentley Flying Spur (4-5 x a month). I would say that my perception of quality is higher than yours.

I think the best value for the money across various luxury segments is the BMW 540. That's my opinion, although I don't own luxury cars and never have.

I think if you didnt hate the grilles you would be less harsh on other aspects of the brand's evolution.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 12:27 PM   #953
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Sometimes I am thinking if it is harsh. After reviewing the quality BMWs used to have -indiferent of the model-, I realize that is not harsh at all.

Sure, top of the line are luxurious. But a "luxury" brand is luxury only for the top models? If yes, why the overal "luxury" nomenclature?
When you consider a manufacturer as being LUXURY, then you are taking into consideration the fact that every vehcile that comes out of its umbrella has certain attributes that can justify that. Right?

You can't hide under the luxury umbrella when tha majority of the vehicles sold are not top of the line. Remember the 3 Series bread and butter?

- luxury means a wonderful, well thought and balanced design. No scars in the middle of the hood because it is easier to install on the manufactoring line a front bumper that comes with headlamps and all that jazz installed by a way cheaper third party.

- No pantyhose materials on the interior pillars. What about that perfect thicker material that was not only more beautiful, offered a much visual and tactile experience and it was good acoustic insulator? My moms A1 headliner and pillars material looks waay better than my M X4 headliner material.

- no saggy mosquito panoramic shade that looks like crap, offers no perfect protection for the sun, or to play the role of the thermal insulator in the very cold months. Did I mention that is cheap and saggy? Do some of you remember the hard panoramic retractable top that not only was good, sturdy and beautiful without looking cheap, but also offered a proper sun protection and had a sun reflective attribute?

- no M3 with gruesome front grilles and a 3 series regular rear door slapped in there totally destroying that gorgeous bulged rear fender. None sees how awkard that connection really is? That is actually a crime in design language. Cheap move. For the money of course.

- areas of the car that are no longer painted but rather sprayed and left antouched by the paint or clearcoat which does offer another layer of protection.

- Mini seats on BMW line up vehicles that are actually bigger than Mini, hence targeting a different, taller and bigger audience (not to mention the difference in price). They offer no leg support on long trips and they actually don't fit on vehicles that require a certain lenght due to the height of the seat position. Mini seats on the X1 and X2 which supposed to be actrually a very nice car. X2 had potential, yet those seats, that terrible interior with a phalic visual sore stick and the FWD set up ruined it.

- New CLAR platform that is shared -again- with Mini just because the money, not because it is good. No true XDrive but rather a Haldex system, connected to -again cheaper- Ainsin transmission. ZF rules big time over Ainsin. AND, the audacity and lying decision to call it xDrive. No, BMW that is not the xDrive. That is an Haldex.

- black shiny cheap plastic that found its way in most of the exterior of the car making it look literally LIKE SHIT after a few washes. Even if you install PPF from day one, you must be lucky to receive one without any scratches. Look at the mirrors plastic, front bumpers, rear bumpers, B pillars, front grilles, windows frame, etc. A luxury company will not use a material that looks terrible in a few days. Luxury means longevity and well chosen materials that can last.

- Elimination of interior cushion at the rear seats backseats. look at some of the new vehicles like the X1 and X2 and see that not only there is a rough plastic that replaces that hip/back cushion, but you can even see in the trunck or slide your hand in there.

- the screws that hold in place rear seats in some models are now visible and an eyesore. Luxury much?

- leather that is wrinkled since day one, with bad sewing that provides visual pockets and waves that can never be addressed (I have them in my X4). Even the new M3-M4 has it and is not the leather or whatever BS some claim. Is just a bad design that did not taken into consideration the way the leather will look and behave after some use. The pattern of the sewing place a tremendous role in the way the leather is kept in place and how it will look in the future.

- reducing the warranty of the vehicle is not a luxury move either. If you are a luxury manufacturer, offer peace of mind and stay behind your product. Or that only shows that that is the lebght of the peace of mind you are offering...

- cheap displays made by a cheap manufacturer, literally SCREWED on the dashboard with a design that show lack of respect for the vehicle's image and a very immature and cheap design.

- lack of central console just to reduce cost as there is no third seat in the front anyway.

- cheap under carriage protection with plastic shields that protect nothing. (some have a harder carpet, forget about a plastic shield. Even my M340 M Performance the under front bumper radiator is exposed pushing me towards a third party manufacturer to seek a protection.

- cheap frameless doors for electric cars with exposed rubber seal that looks absolutely horibble through that window...

Many many thing changed lately, and not in good but in bad. i can go on and on...
Very dissapointed by some things that were replaced with bad cheap things, or worse, removed because they cost money.

You echo many of the points made by Mercedes owners when they introduced the C class. Most BMW's are not luxury cars any longer.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 02:25 PM   #954
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:

All these complaints and you still chose to buy a BMW.

Makes me wonder how you feel about other brands...
      02-16-2022, 04:17 PM   #955
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Is 455 HP the final figure? With the added weight was hoping for a bit more.
How heavy are we expecting this thing to be? Sure there will be more tech than the F87, but no AWD like in the G87. I'm sure carbon seats/roof and all will be optional but the base car shouldn't be that heavy? The F87 was no light weight.
The base G42 is 3519lbs and the m240 is pushing 3870lbs. So maybe around 3700 for the G87 in manual form? IDK. I guess it'll be at a least a few months before we know.
Doesn't the G80 M3 weigh 100 lbs more than the M340? Can't imagine a 4000 lb M2. Hence why I thought the 455 HP may not be such a big bump.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 04:39 PM   #956
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
How hard are you disappointed to know that 455hp is actually more power output than the F87 top dog (M2 CS aka M2 €$) ?
Well the G80 offers 100 HP more than the F80 and along with AWD, is about a second faster in measures like 0-100 and 1/4 mile.

Since we don't get AWD in the new M2 and weight has gone up a few hundred lbs while HP is only up 40 HP, it's likely to be a wash in terms of acceleration (or close). I would have liked to have seen a bigger improvement in the next gen.

My F80 has 425 HP (on paper) but weighs significantly less and I would have liked a measurable increase in performance in my next car, of which the M2 is near the top. Hopefully the torque curve of the S58 makes up some difference.

Not sure why I needed to explain this.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2022, 02:18 PM   #957
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhiro View Post
Sales so strong that the local BMW dealer has dozens of M cars sitting on their lot, while you can't find a 911, Boxster, or Cayman at a Porsche dealership anywhere.

What I'm not loving this particular leak, it could end up looking a bit like a retro squared off E30/E36. Still need to wait and see.
Where's that dealer? There are like 2 M3s in the entire state of MA.

And I guess you don't know that there are real numbers you can look at other than random anecdotal evidence from some dealer. The new M cars and BMW overall sell more than ever, and not just due to market conditions, as their sales are better than ever relative to competition as well.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 04:49 PM   #958
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How hard are you disappointed to know that 455hp is actually more power output than the F87 top dog (M2 CS aka M2 €$) ?
Well the G80 offers 100 HP more than the F80 and along with AWD, is about a second faster in measures like 0-100 and 1/4 mile.
Since we don't get AWD in the new M2 and weight has gone up a few hundred lbs while HP is only up 40 HP, it's likely to be a wash in terms of acceleration (or close). I would have liked to have seen a bigger improvement in the next gen.
My F80 has 425 HP (on paper) but weighs significantly less and I would have liked a measurable increase in performance in my next car, of which the M2 is near the top. Hopefully the torque curve of the S58 makes up some difference.
Not sure why I needed to explain this.
For most petrol heads, a car is a driving fun facilitator: it's not about what you got, but about what you can do with it.

2013:
Name:  Old_St_Gotthard_2013.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  535.6 KB

2016:
Name:  SellaTour_2016_RB_03.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  718.6 KB

2017:
Name:  Alps_20June17.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  429.8 KB

2017 (with friends):
Name:  1M_PaulRicardCircuit_18June17.jpg
Views: 2016
Size:  221.6 KB

2020:

2021:
Name:  Grossglockner_2021.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  778.3 KB

Jashue190.50
RugbyBro7601.50
stein_325i25083.00
E46ZHP254.00
MmmmmM22588.50
qnet681.50
MPSdriver192.00
Davil6524.50
      02-20-2022, 09:20 PM   #959
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Pretty sure you don't speak for all "Petrol heads". Otherwise companies wouldn't make cars faster. But whatever, you are allowed to have your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 11:17 AM   #960
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Pretty sure you don't speak for all "Petrol heads". Otherwise companies wouldn't make cars faster. But whatever, you are allowed to have your opinion.
Driving fun or bragging rights ? To each his own.

2021:
Name:  Mountains_2021.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  870.2 KB
RugbyBro7601.50
MPSdriver192.00
Davil6524.50
      02-21-2022, 11:30 AM   #961
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Plus the horsepower increase will be offset by the weight and size increase of the G87 M2. As a F87 M2 CS owner and a previous base M2 owner, I was never impressed or spooked by the power in an M2. Driving home on day 1 with the M2 CS, I put everything in Sport Plus, and thought to myself is that all regarding the power.

I said it before, the only version of the G87 M2 that matters is the M2 CSL. The other versions (Base, Competition) will be similar to F87 M2 or the G82 M4 but with the detuned M2 engine.
Appreciate 2
Hegge880.00
trey1001125.00
      02-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #962
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Interesting thread. I like the look of the G42 M240i ok. I don't like square exhaust things in back (I really dislike that a lot).

I was hoping the G87 M2 would take it to another level. Really hope those Chinese leaks of the front are wrong. It doesn't matter, I still love my OG M2.

I haven't been on Bimmerpost for awhile, this thread has been entertaining.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 12:09 AM   #963
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Driving fun or bragging rights ? To each his own.

2021:
Attachment 2818057
I'll take driving fun!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 07:26 AM   #964
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

There's too many things on here I don't quite agree with you but can certainly respect your opinion. Long story short, I've owned/leased every 3 series since the E30, and while I don't think the G generation are the best looking ones, I do think they have the highest quality/most luxurious out of all of them IMHO. I'm mostly talking about the interior quality, acoustics, ect... I don't even think it's close to be honest.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
JTO245276.00
      03-04-2022, 08:14 PM   #965
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

For the guys planning on getting this car, let's say the color palette remains the same as the G8x, which color scheme are you going with?
      03-05-2022, 09:05 AM   #966
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
For the guys planning on getting this car, let's say the color palette remains the same as the G8x, which color scheme are you going with?

I'm heavily leaning towards Isle of Man green with tartufo interior.

Obviously I have to see how the color looks on the car, but I always felt my F87 would look good in green. Also, I'll have to see the launch color as well. If it's killer like the M2 LBB, then I may go with that.

Last edited by JustinHEMI; 03-05-2022 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 2
Game7408.50
MG20i120.00
      03-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #967
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

Quote:
If I am able to get a new M2C, I would like either Verde Ermes Green, or Oxford Green, with Tartufo Interior and some wood trim.
Appreciate 2
Game7408.50
JustinHEMI7445.00
      03-07-2022, 01:15 PM   #968
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG20i View Post
If I am able to get a new M2C, I would like either Verde Ermes Green, or Oxford Green, with Tartufo Interior and some wood trim.
Two votes for green/tartufo!