E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Another Adaptive headlight error

08-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Gatchek
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535Xi

Another Adaptive headlight error

I apoologize up from if this is a re-post, but I have searched and can't find a definite answer for what I'm looking for.

Is there a fuse associated with the adaptive headlights? (background story): I put new bulbs in my head lights a couple months ago. Apparently, I broke the cover on the back of the Driver's side headlight assembly, so it never properly sealed, and about 2 months later, it rained pretty heavily, and condensation built up in the headlight, and BOOM, adaptive headlight error. The passenger side light does a good self leveling check during engine start, but the left one seems to be non-responsive. Its out of waranty, and I don't have $1,000+ to fix it. I am looking to avoid the dealership at all costs. I recently moved and have a VERY tight budget, so a fix would have to be under $100. I would much rather fix it (since that feature is very nice), as opposed to coding it out. Is there any things I can try to jump start it back to life (i.e. unplug the assembly, and plug it back in, check a fuse, hit it with a hammer, etc). thanks in advance for all the help!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
jetblack07
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Had the same problem. I think the only fix is to take it to a dealer or an indy to see what the problem is. May need new housing or a control module or just coding.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Gatchek
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblack07 View Post
Had the same problem. I think the only fix is to take it to a dealer or an indy to see what the problem is. May need new housing or a control module or just coding.
How did you fix it?

From all the reading I've done, I'm betting the control module is broken. I went on tischer, and the module looks to be only $117. Is this the right part? If so, any idea how much the dealer would charge to code it?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
jetblack07
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Mine isn't fixed yet
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Gatchek
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblack07 View Post
Mine isn't fixed yet
Hahahaha. Yeah, that $1000+ price tag they put on it, just isn't worth it. I'm going to find the cheapest and yet thorough method to fix it. When I do, I'll let you know.

I plan to remove the bumper and headlight, and re-seat everything this weekend. I'll keep you updated on how it goes. Have you tried that? I figured its free, and a process that like has fixed things in the past for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Why didnt you seal it well in the first place?..that's the crucial part.

I'm sealing my headlights back together using a new seal, removed the old one
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Hey folks, sorry to hijack this thread but I also have the adaptive headlight warning on after I hit a huge pothole a couple weeks ago. I took it to my indy and he scanned it, needs the whole passenger side headlight replaced as everything is rattling around in there, broken etc.. BMW wants $1500 for the unit.... I can find it as low as $900 aftermarket but still a hell of a cost for a headlight! Anyone know how to get one cheaper (with the adaptive function of course)? If not, does anyone recommend an aftermarket Xenon projection kit that I can swap out? I know I'll lose my adaptive function but for the cost it may be worth it... thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
Gatchek
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_03 View Post
Hey folks, sorry to hijack this thread but I also have the adaptive headlight warning on after I hit a huge pothole a couple weeks ago. I took it to my indy and he scanned it, needs the whole passenger side headlight replaced as everything is rattling around in there, broken etc.. BMW wants $1500 for the unit.... I can find it as low as $900 aftermarket but still a hell of a cost for a headlight! Anyone know how to get one cheaper (with the adaptive function of course)? If not, does anyone recommend an aftermarket Xenon projection kit that I can swap out? I know I'll lose my adaptive function but for the cost it may be worth it... thanks in advance!
From what I've read about your problem, just take the front bumper off, and inspect for loose parts. The "pothole" problem accurs when an arm that controls the adaptive headlight breaks loose. You should be able to find the part that is loose and put it back in place. The cost should be nothing. Search for pothole and adaptive headlight error and you'll find some posts relating to what I'm talking about.

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Gatchek
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romiie View Post
Why didnt you seal it well in the first place?..that's the crucial part.

I'm sealing my headlights back together using a new seal, removed the old one

I like leaving my headlights unsealed... that's why. A stupid question deserves a stupid answer. I didn't realize that it wasn't sealed properly until the water got into the headlight. And by then, it was too late.

Any more comments that won't help me fix my problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Alex@Helix
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

if the error isnt worth the 1,000$ plus i suggest coding out the adaptive headlight check.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the quick replies folks... If I go the route of alternate headlights I will have to have the warning coded out... any suggestions on good alternate Xenon lamps?

As far as taking the bumper off.... I assume the arms is still inside the whole unit? How does one access inside the lens even with the bumper off? Also... do you have a DIY for bumper removal? Sorry to be a pain but I'm not an A1 mechanic at heart, love a good project though!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
Gatchek
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies folks... If I go the route of alternate headlights I will have to have the warning coded out... any suggestions on good alternate Xenon lamps?

As far as taking the bumper off.... I assume the arms is still inside the whole unit? How does one access inside the lens even with the bumper off? Also... do you have a DIY for bumper removal? Sorry to be a pain but I'm not an A1 mechanic at heart, love a good project though!

Just type in "bumper removal" in the search and you'll find a couple good write-ups.

Not sure about how to access inside the light once you get it off, but I'm not sure you have to. I think the arm isn't that hard to get to. Like I said earlier, just search for the "pothole adaptive headlight error, and you'll see where people have talked about it in great detail.

The problem with coding the error out is that you're putting a band-aid on a bullet hole. I don't want my Bimmer to turn into a honda civic. BMW obviously spent a lot of money on designing the adaptive headlight feature, so I would like to restore its ability as cheap as I can. The dealership charges $1000 because they know that to most people, the hassle free solution is sometimes worth a lot of money, and they know that if you have a bimmer, you have money. To save time on labor, they just replace the entire headlight, instead of wasting man-hours troubleshooting your issue. Its easier for them, and time-saving. Again... this isn't a KIA dealership, so they're not worried about their customers not being able to afford their fees.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

Cheers Gatcheck.... I'll have a look and see what I can do on my own before I took it to the dealer.... I originally took my car to my Euro Indy guy and he scanned it and said it needed to be replaced but he certainly didn't take the bumper off so maybe that's the issue.... would love it to be so simple! I'll report back with my findings!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
Gatchek
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cheers Gatcheck.... I'll have a look and see what I can do on my own before I took it to the dealer.... I originally took my car to my Euro Indy guy and he scanned it and said it needed to be replaced but he certainly didn't take the bumper off so maybe that's the issue.... would love it to be so simple! I'll report back with my findings!

Yeah.... the easiest thing is to just replace the light. I would have suggested the same thing if i hadn't run across those threads while looking for an answer to my issue. Looks like its a simple fix (other than taking the bumper off). But from what I've read, that isn't nearly as difficult as it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
luis@ossdesigns
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

If I had that issue, I would first see if its the adaptive module underneath the headlight...swap and check... if the module works on the other headlight then its the auto leveling motor....get a new bare headlight on ebay for 200 to 400 for one on average, gut the parts and swap and problem should go away after a trip to the dealer for a recode...that will probably be another 100 to 200...

if it was the leveling module then it will only be $150

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...18&hg=63&fg=05

part 3
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
Gatchek
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis@ossdesigns View Post
If I had that issue, I would first see if its the adaptive module underneath the headlight...swap and check... if the module works on the other headlight then its the auto leveling motor....get a new bare headlight on ebay for 200 to 400 for one on average, gut the parts and swap and problem should go away after a trip to the dealer for a recode...that will probably be another 100 to 200...

if it was the leveling module then it will only be $150

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...18&hg=63&fg=05

part 3

Great troubleshooting steps. Thanks man! I think that's exactly what I'll do. I have a strong feeling that its the module. Thanks for your help!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #17
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

I actually just thought of something so some more opinions would be nice.... I know I have read about these 'arms' that may become disconnected but let me tell you exactly what is going on with my car... adaptive headlamp warning light came on after I went over pot hole, so first off, I am assuming that there has to be more than just an arm issue to trigger an electronic warning.... vertical headlight leveling works fine for the driver side lamp only, the horizontal adaptive motion does not work for either side and the passenger side light is point slightly down and to the left. When my indy scanned it, he said there was no code coming up for any of the modules or motors that are not part of the headlight assembly itself but upon further inspection there were lose parts broken in the passenger side housing and said that would need to be replaced.... what do you suppose caused the warning light to come on, and how so I know the driver side doesn't need to be replaced as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #18
Sales@modmy3.com
Major
Rep
Drives: Stock

Quote:
I actually just thought of something so some more opinions would be nice.... I know I have read about these 'arms' that may become disconnected but let me tell you exactly what is going on with my car... adaptive headlamp warning light came on after I went over pot hole, so first off, I am assuming that there has to be more than just an arm issue to trigger an electronic warning.... vertical headlight leveling works fine for the driver side lamp only, the horizontal adaptive motion does not work for either side and the passenger side light is point slightly down and to the left. When my indy scanned it, he said there was no code coming up for any of the modules or motors that are not part of the headlight assembly itself but upon further inspection there were lose parts broken in the passenger side housing and said that would need to be replaced.... what do you suppose caused the warning light to come on, and how so I know the driver side doesn't need to be replaced as well?

As OSS mentioned, take your headlight out and replace the module that is underneath it. It's a square module that can break or if the seals are leaky moisture can get in it. I don't think it would be the sensor that is in the back as one of your headlight is fully functioning. Let me know how it goes, I have pictures of previous customers and can walk you through the process.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
luis@ossdesigns
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

there is a positional sensor that must be reading real off...possibly red flagging the ECU that somethings up...it could be purely mechanical due to the misalignment...Id try and remove the headlight...familiarize yourself with it by disassembling all the covers and remove all the bulbs etc. then with some good lighting study the inner workings...theres 3 points that connect to the projector assembly... make sure their all properly attached you can push and pull the projector back to make it lock back into place. might get lucky and the misalignment is all thats causing the error...after your done disconnect the battery for 10 min to reset the ECU and see if it re reads the code. If it does then try the Leveling module swap i suggested before. to determine who else it at fault... if the motor went bad (which i highly doubt over a pothole) then the headlights gotta go, because you can only service the leveling motor not the adaptive one. unless you open the headlight and transplant but thats another option you can explore with me, instead of purchasing a brand new headlight. I do have motors lying around.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

Before I try the DIY, can I just ask, would the scan not have brought up whether it is a specific module or motor etc... Also, the driver side does auto level but does NOT swivel side to side with the steering wheel, the passenger side does nothing but turn on...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #21
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

Thank you so much OSS.... I never knew that it would read an error if the arm got disconnected and the angle was way out but it makes sense.... I def want to try this before I just arbitrarily change the light and spend over $1000... any help you can give me on the bumper removal etc... is much appreciated.... I would like to try it one evening this week as I have a bit of a road trip ahead of me this weekend.... I will likely be doing it in my underground parking with no jack..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #22
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

by the way, if something triggers the warning code, would it disable the whole adaptive system, thus causing the driver side to not work as well, even though there is nothing wrong on that side?
Appreciate 0