home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

05-15-2022, 04:16 PM   #23
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Excited to learn more! The SM10 set up looks good but I'm curious how it will look with 18s as I'd prefer a beefy tire look.
Appreciate 1
jbazz256.50
      05-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #24
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

We'll be launching the SM-10 Group Buy soon, but we are still hunting for photoshoot volunteers.

If you're interested in free professional photos of your car on brand new APEX wheels, we are looking for volunteers for testfiitting and photoshoots! Volunteers will get copies of the photos, a discount on a set of APEX wheels, and APEX goodies/swag. If you're interested in volunteering, please fill out and submit our online form. All are welcome. Show us what you've got!
      05-26-2022, 09:07 AM   #25
jbazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 30i , 1990 Miata Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
We'll be launching the SM-10 Group Buy soon, but we are still hunting for photoshoot volunteers.

If you're interested in free professional photos of your car on brand new APEX wheels, we are looking for volunteers for testfiitting and photoshoots! Volunteers will get copies of the photos, a discount on a set of APEX wheels, and APEX goodies/swag. If you're interested in volunteering, please fill out and submit our online form. All are welcome. Show us what you've got!
Awesome! Am I the only one here that would like to see them in bronze like this supra you did?
An 18" option would be better on the streets (already bubbled one sidewall).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 06:56 PM   #26
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbazz View Post
Awesome! Am I the only one here that would like to see them in bronze like this supra you did?
An 18" option would be better on the streets (already bubbled one sidewall).
19s are the launch diameter in our standard 3 finishes (Anthracite, Race Silver and Satin Black) but let us know if you want to see alternate options in the future!

-Tom
      05-26-2022, 06:57 PM   #27
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

APEX | G42 2 Series SM-10 Wheel Group Buy

Our 19” SM-10 Group Buy is now live!

The Design

For all of you who have been patiently waiting for an APEX option for the new 5x112 BMW chassis, the wait is over! These 19” SM-10s were designed to be a versatile option for your G42 series with square and staggered fitments available from day one.

SM-10

Representing the newest design in our Evolution line, the SM-10 is a more advanced flow formed wheel perfect for newer chassis. As a modern motorsport design crafted using advanced weight-saving techniques with a reinforced inner lip and I-beam spokes, these wheels bring forged features to our flow formed range giving you more performance at an unbeatable value.

These specific G42 fitments also offer profile 3 faces giving you the most concave fitment available in our SM-10 design and far more concavity than prior generation 1 and 2 series fitments.

The Details

Fitments

Dates:

This deal is now live and locks on 6/30/2022 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time. The wheels are currently scheduled to ship out in early September.
Visit GangUp.com for more information.

Discount: Up to $300.00 off plus Free Shipping*

Join The Gang

To streamline pledging and fitment selection, we use GangUp to track interest and pledges. This system lets you commit at your preferred discount level and removes the old-school headache of forum threads and email chains as a Group Buy heats up. Watch the video below to learn how GangUp works and how to pledge.

These Group Buys depend on the BMW enthusiast community to succeed. More pledges mean deeper discounts and more competition for popular fitments and finishes. Make sure you pledge early to get the best possible allocation for your preferred set of SM-10s.

A Fitment For You

We know what fits. From direct bolt-on to aggressive track day fitments and everything in between. We've tested extensively to save you the trial-and-error.

View our fitment guide.

More Info

SM-10

Questions?
Call: 925-245-0773
Email: expert@apexraceparts.com
Web: www.apexraceparts.com
Hours: M-F 9a-5p PST

*Free Shipping: This Group Buy offers free shipping to the 48 mainland US states. Buyers who have products shipped to Alaska, Hawaii, APO/FPO, and International destinations will receive a discounted shipping rate.

Last edited by Expert@ApexWheels; 06-01-2022 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #28
Gdschaf7
AT THE DEALERSHIP
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i, 2022 BMW M240i

Dang, no satin bronze. Any idea if these will come in satin bronze at any point in the future? Or any other G42 fitment wheel?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #29
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdschaf7 View Post
Dang, no satin bronze. Any idea if these will come in satin bronze at any point in the future? Or any other G42 fitment wheel?
No Plans for Bronze currently. Its more likely to be coming in a future forged release than in these flow formed SM-10s because of the way we produce the different designs. Please let us know if you would like to see bronze options in the future though!

-Tom
      06-08-2022, 04:03 PM   #30
CTGT2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

Probability of seeing the VS-5RS wheels in a size that fits the G42 sometime in the near future?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 04:05 PM   #31
atenzany62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGT2005 View Post
Probability of seeing the VS-5RS wheels in a size that fits the G42 sometime in the near future?
would absolutely love a set of vs-5rs for the g42 as well, I'm trying to see if the gr supra front 19x9.5 et25 would fit on all 4 corners of the g42.
      06-08-2022, 06:57 PM   #32
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGT2005 View Post
Quite high, we currently are working on these. Current plan is matching diameter, widths and offsets to the SM-10s that have the Group Buy ongoing. More VS-5RS news to come later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atenzany62 View Post
would absolutely love a set of vs-5rs for the g42 as well, I'm trying to see if the gr supra front 19x9.5 et25 would fit on all 4 corners of the g42.
We haven't yet tested the 19x9.5 ET25 supra front wheel on a 2 series. I know it works on the front of a g20 3 series as we did test that. Tech writeup on that process here: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=55

-Tom
      06-19-2022, 12:14 AM   #33
OuterNerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti FX35

Very interested in joining the group buy before it ends, but can't decide which color for my portimao blue metallic M240. These would be my winter wheels. I'm leaning towards Anthracite, but do you have any pictures of black wheels on a blue car?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 06:41 PM   #34
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterNerd View Post
Very interested in joining the group buy before it ends, but can't decide which color for my portimao blue metallic M240. These would be my winter wheels. I'm leaning towards Anthracite, but do you have any pictures of black wheels on a blue car?
Apologies for the delayed response!

I don't have any shots of a blue G42 on satin black wheels but here are some other combinations:

Anthracite wheels on a blue g20:

Satin Black SM-10s on various blue cars:

-Tom
      06-24-2022, 06:58 PM   #35
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

We just unlocked the Max Discount. Big thanks to everyone who has pledged!

If anyone has been on the fence about this Group Buy, we still have a few days left to go. Get your pledges in prior to June 30th to ensure you lock in a set of these wheels!

06-28-2022, 03:36 PM   #36
vert shaper
Private
Rep

Just to see what it would look like, I quickly photoshopped the black SM-10s onto a pic of my Portimao Blue m240i. Here's the comparison. I think they look great. Not looking to get different rims until next year, though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      06-29-2022, 09:07 AM   #37
vert shaper
Private
Rep

... and w/ anthracite.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Ruebarb380.00
jbazz256.50
      06-30-2022, 06:44 AM   #38
OuterNerd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert shaper View Post
Just to see what it would look like, I quickly photoshopped the black SM-10s onto a pic of my Portimao Blue m240i. Here's the comparison. I think they look great. Not looking to get different rims until next year, though.
Quote:
Thanks. Didn't think I'd be a fan of the black wheels, so I ordered anthracite, but now I think I may have made the wrong choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:22 AM   #39
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Hi, would a square configuration of 19x10" ET38 fit on the G42? Looking to get the widest set of R compound tires possible.

Can you clarify why are tire sizes with the same profile not considered X-Drive compatible? My car is fitted with the 893M wheels and has 245/35/19 on front and 255/35/19 rear. Wondering why the staggered OEM setup is okay when the Apex staggered setups (with dissimilar profiles) are not.

Thank you!
Appreciate 1
Jashue201.00
      06-30-2022, 09:38 AM   #40
vert shaper
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Didn't think I'd be a fan of the black wheels, so I ordered anthracite, but now I think I may have made the wrong choice.
It's personal taste, but I think they both look great. The brake dust on my black wheels is very noticeable, and it builds up fast. I think anthracite would be more forgivable in that regard. When they're fresh and shiny, though, the black looks great.

Originally I was going to order my m240i with the two tone wheels, but I cancelled that order when I found this one as a cancelled order on a lot. The black wheels were much better in person than I thought they'd be, and I like them even more now after I put dark tint on the windows.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2022, 01:30 PM   #41
OuterNerd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's personal taste, but I think they both look great. The brake dust on my black wheels is very noticeable, and it builds up fast. I think anthracite would be more forgivable in that regard. When they're fresh and shiny, though, the black looks great.

Originally I was going to order my m240i with the two tone wheels, but I cancelled that order when I found this one as a cancelled order on a lot. The black wheels were much better in person than I thought they'd be, and I like them even more now after I put dark tint on the windows.
Good point on the brake dust. These will be my winter wheels. Dirty anthracite probably stands out a lot less than dirty black wheels.

I got the bi-color wheels on mine. I love how they look, but the dust does build up fast.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #42
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundernight View Post
Hi, would a square configuration of 19x10" ET38 fit on the G42? Looking to get the widest set of R compound tires possible.

Can you clarify why are tire sizes with the same profile not considered X-Drive compatible? My car is fitted with the 893M wheels and has 245/35/19 on front and 255/35/19 rear. Wondering why the staggered OEM setup is okay when the Apex staggered setups (with dissimilar profiles) are not.

Thank you!
Apologies for the delayed response, I think our forum notifications aren't working as intended.

That 19X10 ET38 isn't going to fit up front on a stock-bodied G42. It would need large front spacers and probably changes to the front fenders to work without rubbing and isn't a fitment I would recommend.

The x-drive compatibility recommendations come from the % difference between the front and wheel and tire diameters. 245/35-19 front and 255/35-19 rear are a ~1.06% difference in rolling diameter. This is compatible with xDrive. Its important to keep in mind that the second number (profile as you called it, or tire sidewall height) is an aspect ratio, or a percentage of the tires width. It is not a set height of 35 mm, it is 35% of the width of the tire. So tires that have the same aspect ratio (35) but different widths will be different heights.

Our recommendations listed on the fitment guides aim to keep x-Drive compatible staggered sets close to or below a 1% difference between the front and rear axles. Generally, this is most easily done with a narrower front tire that has a larger aspect ratio combined with a wider rear tire with a smalller aspect ratio.

You can run staggered tires that are the same profile with xDrive but you cannot have a large difference in tire widths as that would then lead to a difference in rolling diameter beyond the acceptable safe x-Drive compatible ranges.

Thus instead of running a staggered setup with minimal width differences, it makes more sense to either:
-run a fully square setup. this gives you a 0% difference between the front and rear axles and allows you to fully rotate wheels and tires between them.
-Run a staggered setup with wider/smaller aspect ratio rear tires to take advantage of the extra room in the rear wheelwells.

I hope this makes more sense and that I didn't cause further confusion. Tire sizes are a weird combination of metric, percentage and inches, but we focus on the diameter of the packages rather than matching aspect ratios.

-Tom
      09-06-2022, 11:24 AM   #43
WRS_ATL
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive, BSM/black

VS-5RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
Quite high, we currently are working on these. Current plan is matching diameter, widths and offsets to the SM-10s that have the Group Buy ongoing. More VS-5RS news to come later on.

We haven't yet tested the 19x9.5 ET25 supra front wheel on a 2 series. I know it works on the front of a g20 3 series as we did test that. Tech writeup on that process here: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=55

-Tom
Looking forward to purchasing a set of VS-5RS in October when they are released, so please keep us posted on availability and any group buy!

(Looking at a square setup w/ 19x9" ET25, plus a 5mm spacer up front, which should do the trick.)

Thanks!

Last edited by WRS_ATL; 09-06-2022 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 12:40 PM   #44
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Any plans to do a VS-5RS in G42 M240i fitment? The more I look into your company the more I'd like to get these wheels in satin black.

I've done some rough calculations as for fronts I think good fitment would be 19x9 et18 and rear 19x9.5 et28. This keeps inner clearance about the same and pushes the wheels out about 13mm.

Am I totally wrong here? Thanks in advance for the response.

At the roll race event this weekend I saw a few cars running Apex wheels and now I'm sold.
Appreciate 0