home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

03-29-2024, 04:12 PM   #1
pg80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 C

Anyone disappointed?

I’ve had my 24 M240 for about three weeks now, just shy of 500 miles and have to say I’m kind of disappointed with it. I’m coming from. A 23 x340 and the M240 it’s just not as sporty feeling the car is incredibly quiet in all modes acceleration feels dull in all modes except for sport + The x3 made more sound and felt quicker I don’t wanna be too harsh on the 2 series if you’re judging it as a normal BMW, it’s a wonderful car, but if you’re looking at it as a performance vehicle, I think it falls flat on its face I know it’s not the lightest thing in the world anymore my G80 is technically heavier, but it feels lighter than my technically lighter 2 series I was more looking to see if anyone else has had this experience if you share the same opinion that I do or if this was something that they’ve made a change for the 24 model year The car just feels like it has no edge to it. If you took the badge off the rear of this car, I would know no difference. I would assume it was any other BMW. I’m not even joking, but at one point I went to make sure there was a B58 under the hood of this car. because I couldn’t believe how quiet it was and how just slow it feels.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 04:19 PM   #2
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I will be looking for it in the certified pre owned lot.
Appreciate 5
MPR1812.50
VegasG42375.00
Resoelg244.00
      03-29-2024, 04:57 PM   #3
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
I’d pass. It’s not been run in correctly.
Appreciate 2
MPR1812.50
      03-29-2024, 05:52 PM   #4
pg80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
It’s a lease just very surprised how dull it feels for a car with an M on it
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 06:44 PM   #5
Red_sir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Suspension transforms this car IMO. Stock just doesn't feel very sporty. Good aftermarket springs and dampers, or even better, full coilovers are totally worth it. Or maybe you need to temper your expectations if your point of reference is a G80 comp!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 07:42 PM   #6
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg80 View Post
Something must be wrong with yours. This car feels anything but dull, and this is the consistent feedback all owners provide on these forums. Granted, you need to realize that this is a daily driver, not a track car. But regardless, it's odd that you call it dull compared to an X3 40i (a heavier car with the same powertrain). I really think something is wrong with your M240.

Did you plan on getting an M2 but went for an M240 and now are coping with that decision?
Appreciate 4
      03-29-2024, 07:49 PM   #7
pg80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_sir View Post
Suspension transforms this car IMO. Stock just doesn't feel very sporty. Good aftermarket springs and dampers, or even better, full coilovers are totally worth it. Or maybe you need to temper your expectations if your point of reference is a G80 comp!
Wasn’t expecting anything insane honestly my biggest problem with it is just how quiet it is. It drives fine. The suspension is absolutely acceptable. It’s just So quiet, the x3 made more sound from the exhaust and the engine, even though I’m sure the engine noise was pumped in through the speakers. I don’t understand why they didn’t do the same for this car out of the two of them I would’ve expected the two series to be a little bit more extreme but I guess not i’m trying to decide if it’s worth putting extra money into this car and getting the M performance exhaust but from what I’ve read on this form that doesn’t even turn it up all that much. I guess it’s just something I’m gonna have to get used to. I was caught off guard by it, I was trying to see if people who have different model years if it’s the same on their cars too and just Sharing my experience so far
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 07:53 PM   #8
pg80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Something must be wrong with yours. This car feels anything but dull, and this is the consistent feedback all owners provide on these forums. Granted, you need to realize that this is a daily driver, not a track car. But regardless, it's odd that you call it dull compared to an X3 40i (a heavier car with the same powertrain). I really think something is wrong with your M240.

Did you plan on getting an M2 but went for an M240 and now are coping with that decision?
No, I have a G80 this was always meant to be a daily driver and for that purposes serves it fine. I was just surprised at how quiet the car is. Maybe I was harsh in my original comment handling wise. I have no problem with the car. It does feel a little underwhelming in comfort mode. It starts to wake up a little bit in sports mode, but even that feels a little dull to me. i’m starting to wonder if there was changes made in 24 that made this car a little less exciting because like you said everything I’ve read about it on here. Everyone loves theirs. but as far as I can tell, the car is running fine I mean it’s brand new. I wouldn’t really expect anything to be wrong with it like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:10 PM   #9
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, I have a G80 this was always meant to be a daily driver and for that purposes serves it fine. I was just surprised at how quiet the car is. Maybe I was harsh in my original comment handling wise. I have no problem with the car. It does feel a little underwhelming in comfort mode. It starts to wake up a little bit in sports mode, but even that feels a little dull to me. i’m starting to wonder if there was changes made in 24 that made this car a little less exciting because like you said everything I’ve read about it on here. Everyone loves theirs. but as far as I can tell, the car is running fine I mean it’s brand new. I wouldn’t really expect anything to be wrong with it like that.
Oh ok, yeah if you are used to a G80 and you are jumping into a M240 that makes more sense. It was odd that you said it was blah compared to an X3 40i.

The car is pretty average feeling in everything but Sport Plus IMO, but when you get on it in any drive mode, it will take off. Sports Plus feels like lunatic mode IMO. I personally spend a lot of time in eco pro as I commute around 45 miles on a highway to/from work for fuel efficiency, and it feels like a Toyota Corolla, unless you floor it.

Handling is not this cars strong suit, it is so damn heavy and BMW did magic tricks to try to not make it feel heavy.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:42 PM   #10
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Oh a lease ? lol, I guess you can't really do too much with it then.

Maybe return it to the dealership and see if you can pay to get out of your lease.

Kind of like someone renting an apartment - it's not really your problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:48 PM   #11
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

I mean, x3 is an SUV, the handling is minimum. The coupe/sedan will always handle better
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:49 PM   #12
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Oh ok, yeah if you are used to a G80 and you are jumping into a M240 that makes more sense. It was odd that you said it was blah compared to an X3 40i.

The car is pretty average feeling in everything but Sport Plus IMO, but when you get on it in any drive mode, it will take off. Sports Plus feels like lunatic mode IMO. I personally spend a lot of time in eco pro as I commute around 45 miles on a highway to/from work for fuel efficiency, and it feels like a Toyota Corolla, unless you floor it.

Handling is not this cars strong suit, it is so damn heavy and BMW did magic tricks to try to not make it feel heavy.
That's one thing that is undeniable - In stock form, this car does not handle well during any type of spirited driving
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:55 PM   #13
Gravityct
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

I'd say the 24 is more tame than the 22. I get what you're saying. I believe they do this so as not to bury their other models. Not much point in a m2 or 3 when for 10-20k cheaper you get the same experience. The 240 is just a touch too mild compared with how "quick" it is. My old F-type was slower but was WAY more smile provoking. I think the 240 with a full exhaust is a good mix. Ideally if it was sub 3500lbs the edgyness would make up for the lack luster exhaust but when its as heavy as it is and the sound is conservative the only thing its got is acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 09:02 PM   #14
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I agree with OP 100% on the sound, the most you'll get is a subtle burble here and there. But again, this is a daily driver and BMW took that into consideration, even though it has an M on it. Easily fixable, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 09:09 PM   #15
pg80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

You definitely noticed the X3 weight when you went around a corner, but in a straight line it honestly Felt a little quicker to me unless I’m just remembering it more fondly than it was maybe the car just needs a little bit more time to wake up. I’m about 40 miles off 500. I’ve obviously been trying to be a little gentle with it because it’s new.
Appreciate 1
MPR1812.50
      03-29-2024, 09:11 PM   #16
pg80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC2er View Post
I mean, x3 is an SUV, the handling is minimum. The coupe/sedan will always handle better
The two series definitely handles better maybe I wasn’t expressing myself properly in my original post. My main problem is just the overall sound like there’s so much sound installation and the silencer that they have on the airbox confuses me in a car like this anyone buying something with an M badge on the car clearly wants to hear the exhaust and the inlet sounds
Appreciate 2
MPR1812.50
AlexC2er108.00
      03-29-2024, 09:14 PM   #17
pg80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravityct View Post
I'd say the 24 is more tame than the 22. I get what you're saying. I believe they do this so as not to bury their other models. Not much point in a m2 or 3 when for 10-20k cheaper you get the same experience. The 240 is just a touch too mild compared with how "quick" it is. My old F-type was slower but was WAY more smile provoking. I think the 240 with a full exhaust is a good mix. Ideally if it was sub 3500lbs the edgyness would make up for the lack luster exhaust but when its as heavy as it is and the sound is conservative the only thing its got is acceleration.
I agree I noticed I was going a bit over the speed limit today and I hadn’t even realized it because the car is so quiet. I didn’t realize how fast I had gotten up to. I looked down and I was surprised the car has absolutely no problem getting up to speed It’s quite quick, but there’s no theater attached so it’s just all quiet speed
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 09:16 PM   #18
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The two series definitely handles better maybe I wasn’t expressing myself properly in my original post. My main problem is just the overall sound like there’s so much sound installation and the silencer that they have on the airbox confuses me in a car like this anyone buying something with an M badge on the car clearly wants to hear the exhaust and the inlet sounds
Sport plus opens up the second muffler..I pulled the fuse while open so I get more sound in all drive modes. Once your car is broken in, do some sport plus runs..it’s not loud but you can get some nice sounds out of this car.
Appreciate 1
pg80107.00
      03-29-2024, 09:17 PM   #19
pg80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I agree with OP 100% on the sound, the most you'll get is a subtle burble here and there. But again, this is a daily driver and BMW took that into consideration, even though it has an M on it. Easily fixable, though.
I think why my opinion is so harsh is the x3 i’m not sure how many people have had a chance to drive one in the M40 trim, but it makes quite a bit of noise, it crackles and pops under deceleration and acceleration. It’s quite lively, so I was caught off guard when I got into a car that I considered to be sportier and it’s significantly quieter. but I guess it’s just money. I’m gonna have to shell it out and get the performance exhaust. It just sucks because this thing stickered for 62 and now I’ve gotta put another few thousand dollars into it to get it, It should really come from the factory with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 09:26 PM   #20
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

pg80 are you comparing sports plus in both vehicles? It’s the same engine I can’t see there being many differences. And your g42 has 500 miles? You’re really not even able to beat on it yet. My 2022 makes noise
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2024, 12:45 AM   #21
pg80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
pg80 are you comparing sports plus in both vehicles? It’s the same engine I can’t see there being many differences. And your g42 has 500 miles? You’re really not even able to beat on it yet. My 2022 makes noise
I’ve Used sports mode and sports plus a few times now for short durations it definitely feels different to me
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 08:03 AM   #22
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
I don’t wanna be too harsh on the 2 series if you’re judging it as a normal BMW, it’s a wonderful car, but if you’re looking at it as a performance vehicle, I think it falls flat on its face

The car just feels like it has no edge to it.

Not the way I drive mine!

Bob
Appreciate 2
MPR1812.50