BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-15-2024, 04:28 PM   #67
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
I owned an E90 M3 - best M3 ever made in my opinion. I’ll own another one at some point. For a weekend car it has a real special factor to it that was somewhat lost when M division went turbo. The G87 is a very impressive machine though and in a lot of ways is a significant step forward, especially in terms of performance. I pick mine up on Friday.
You missed out on more hp by getting a ‘24.
      04-15-2024, 07:32 PM   #68
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
You missed out on more hp by getting a ‘24.
Cool story. Go enjoy your E92 👍
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2024, 08:13 PM   #69
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyjimz View Post
Well the M2 I ordered back in November was delivered. Just spent about two hours at the dealership looking at it and I took it for a decent test drive around town and up and down the highway with moderate vigor given the two miles on the odometer. I decided not to buy it, here’s what I thought though:

Exterior:
The car is stunning, looks amazing in person. If you like a long hood short deck classic rear drive coupe shape, this car hits all the right notes. The hips and width are gorgeous. It’s like a Camaro decided to grow up, how the gym, and put on a well tailored suit. It’s shorter than an actual Camaro, and far more practical and mature looking. Looks every bit of the asking price too. A
Modern, muscular yet tastefully aggressive sports sedan. Really looks so much better in person.

Interior:
Also wonderful. Looks and feels nicer and more modern than I expected.
Materials a nice to touch, and the screen integrate better into the experience once you’re behind the wheel than I expected. Really a nice nice place to be. I’m 6’1” and the driver seat (non-carbon buckets) are supportive but not nearly as tight as some super aggressive sports seats. The cockpit is also comfortable while simultaneously catering to the driver. Ergonomics are superior to other sports cars I’ve owned.

Driving experience:
Here’s where things fell apart. Nothing was bad per se, just numb. The shifter is bad. It’s numb, 1st gear is weird, and it didn’t make me feel telepathically connected to the driving experience the way some of the better sticks I’ve had in the past. The steering was similar. Loved the wheel and the different driving modes are noticeable and definitely change the way the car behaves but none of them make the steering feel “alive”. Combined with the stick, i felt isolated and somewhat indifferent to the speed the car can obviously generate.

The driving experience wasn’t all negative. On the highway or around town this car is comfortable. She’s a lovely cruiser. The engine is very responsive for a turbo engine, and while I didn’t give it full beans, it’s clearly fast. Everything you touch as the driver feels great too. The seating position is awesome, the visibility is great, this would be a great daily driver. It’s just the feedback that comes back through the controls that was disappointing.

The car:
2024 m2
Black sapphire metallic
Regular seats
Carbon roof
6mt

Prior cars so there’s a basis for any implied comparison (all manual transmissions)
Z4mc 2007
Chevy SS 2015
Camaro ss1le 2019
Gt350 2020
Corvette grand sport 2017

Just sharing from my cellphone immediately after the drive. I really value a car that feels alive and this one didn’t. The transmission in the gt350 and Camaro I previously owned was far far better. The m2 has pros, it is far nicer and more comfortable than those cars, has better ergonomics, and has none of the tram lining and ride behavior that the gt350 has, but it also feels numb.

Will add more thoughts later. My only advice is to drive the car sooner than later if you’re looking at the manual version.
Thanks again for the review Nick.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 07:56 AM   #70
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I'd say a much older Corvette if you want that raw driving experience. The C8 is just as electronically controlled and lack of soul people claim about the M2 (I disagree about the M2). I drove both my M2 and my Callaway supercharged C6 Z06/Z07 this weekend. Both are equally great to drive. I will say getting into the Z06 after being in the M2 reminds me how bad the seats suck in the Z06!
Even my C7 was an absolute blast to drive. I'm planning to go C7Z or maybe a C6ZR1 next, a buddy of mine has a C6Z Carbon Edition that is a blast but after seeing his quotes for the head fix I'll probably avoid one. I really feel like the C7 hit a good balance of raw sportiness and luxury that the C6 just didn't quite have though. But I do agree, some nice seats would fix my biggest qualm with the C6.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 10:15 AM   #71
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Even my C7 was an absolute blast to drive. I'm planning to go C7Z or maybe a C6ZR1 next, a buddy of mine has a C6Z Carbon Edition that is a blast but after seeing his quotes for the head fix I'll probably avoid one. I really feel like the C7 hit a good balance of raw sportiness and luxury that the C6 just didn't quite have though. But I do agree, some nice seats would fix my biggest qualm with the C6.
Shouldn't cost more than $3-5k for the heads to be fixed. Not a bad investment for a great car. If you aftermarket heads it's a little more. I'm going with AHP's archangel heads on my Carbon because it's supercharged. That will also allow me to up the boost a little for more power. Callaway kept the boost relatively low at 7 lbs most likely to keep the car under the 100k powertrain warranty at the time. They also brought redline down to 6500 from 7000, so I'll be able to put the redline back to 7000 after the heads swap. It's already at ~600 whp. Swap the pulley, put in some new injectors, who couldn't use a little more power

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 10:21 AM   #72
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Shouldn't cost more than $3-5k for the heads to be fixed. Not a bad investment for a great car. If you aftermarket heads it's a little more. I'm going with AHP's archangel heads on my Carbon because it's supercharged. That will also allow me to up the boost a little for more power. Callaway kept the boost relatively low at 7 lbs most likely to keep the car under the 100k powertrain warranty at the time. They also brought redline down to 6500 from 7000, so I'll be able to put the redline back to 7000 after the heads swap. It's already at ~600 whp. Swap the pulley, put in some new injectors, who couldn't use a little more power
I think the quotes my buddy received we from like $8k all the way to $15k or so from the more reputable shops. He hasn’t done it yet due to the cost. I definitely wouldn’t mind picking one up if I can find a cheaper one with the heads done so I can track it without worrying
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 11:31 AM   #73
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
I think the quotes my buddy received we from like $8k all the way to $15k or so from the more reputable shops. He hasn’t done it yet due to the cost. I definitely wouldn’t mind picking one up if I can find a cheaper one with the heads done so I can track it without worrying
He needs to contact Kohle at American Heritage Performance. Even with them doing the install on my Z, which included removing and reinstalling the supercharger, it was only going to be ~$7k. I met with Kohle in person and toured their shop. I trust him with my Z which is 1 of only 3, so I'm very particular about who touches it.

Their standard LS7 heads pkg starts at $1800. https://americanheritageperformance.com/

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
fcman670.00