E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What is this thing and why does it leak

08-24-2024, 11:18 AM   #1
94vg30de
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

What is this thing and why does it leak

N52 engine appears to have many oil leaks. This one appears to be the freshest on top of the engine and there is oil pooling in that area. If you look at the photo with a blue circle, it appears that there’s enough fluid leaking that it actually doesn’t collect debris in that spot. It cleans itself while letting the oil pool in other places. What is this 4-bolt thing, and is there an O-ring of some sort under that cover?

I can’t seem to find the part in any diagrams, but it has what looks to be a fuel or emissions, breather typos, running to it that runs up over the alternator
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 11:47 AM   #2
94vg30de
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

appears to be vacuum pump, with air hoses routed to the brake booster.

At best, I need hose part number 3 in the attached diagram.

At middle, can I replace the o-ring seal to the case? Seems like that would just be an air seal, so...

Worst case, the vacuum pump has failed internally, which looks to be a huge PAIN to resolve...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 11:59 AM   #3
ConwayTwitty
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Garage List
I’m glad I’m not the only one. I recently have been deep cleaning/dressing up my engine bay (as a stress reliever &#129315
I noticed this exact same spot. I had my manifold and alternator off recently and decided to scrub it and give it a good cleaning. Looked great until the following day. I can’t seem to find where it’s coming from and why. I replaced my oil housing gasket and Mickey Mouse flange hoping it was seeping down the block but I was wrong.

I’m interested to see what the anwser to this one is.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 12:48 PM   #4
firesnatch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT

I had oil in that area and I think it was being caused by this broken bolt near the oil filter housing in the video below, which holds down the head gasket. I replaced the bolt and cleaned up the oil and am waiting to see if it solved the issue or not. It is really easy to check.

Last edited by firesnatch; 08-27-2024 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0