bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-05-2024, 04:50 PM   #23
sincerelyjay1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 m240i x drive

So my inlet came with three clamps, two of the same size and the other smaller one.. thanks for replying, appreciate it. The one at the base of the inlet, the smaller one for the pcv hose, and the top clamp connecting to the intake pipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 04:53 PM   #24
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincerelyjay1 View Post
So my inlet came with three clamps, two of the same size and the other smaller one.. thanks for replying, appreciate it. The one at the base of the inlet, the smaller one for the pcv hose, and the top clamp connecting to the intake pipe.
Total of 4 clamps, IIRC

Turbo inlet to turbo
Turbo inlet to lower intake pipe
Lower intake pipe to upper intake pipe
Intake filter
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 05:32 PM   #25
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
It connects to a plastic looking piece that leads to the turbo intake area, not the metal inlet to the turbo. I am pretty sure MST did their homework.

I will give a nod to Dinan as they utilize the factory attachment clip, but MST’s method is totally fine IMO.
I am about to attempt this install later this week .

Hopefully you don't mind me asking you a couple questions.

Since this is the silicone type inlet that needs to be secured with a hose clamp, do you think there is a fairly easy chance of over-tightening the new inlet to the plastic turbo piece? Does it seem very secure once in place and tightened ?

Also , was getting the stock inlet and components off very difficult ?

Was there a specific video you watched that walked you through the install ?

Did you get any check engine lights ? Have you had any issues ?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:07 PM   #26
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasG42 View Post
Since this is the silicone type inlet that needs to be secured with a hose clamp, do you think there is a fairly easy chance of over-tightening the new inlet to the plastic turbo piece? Does it seem very secure once in place and tightened ?
I tightened until hand snug, consciously avoiding over tightening as I knew it was connecting to a plastic inlet. Yes, it feels snug once on there, and I made sure that the connector tube had a solid connection on the turbo going all the way around.

Quote:
Also , was getting the stock inlet and components off very difficult ?
The hardest part is getting the stock turbo inlet off since it uses a metal clip that you need to remove (see below) -- you can hardly see anything and there's minimal room to work.

And the below pictured clamp. I partially broke the plastic piece but it still holds so I didn't worry about it. It was unclear to me how you are supposed to remove it so I just kept pressing/turning/twisting until I could get it to disconnect - it is really annoying the way it is designed - not sure if anyone else has this issue or knows the trick to get it off easily.

The rest of the components are super easy, it if wasn't for the above 2 pieces, and the super snug fit of the intake itself, I would have been done in 20 minutes. The MST intake fits in a way that you think it's not designed for the car, you need to adjust it enough until you are able to get the filter to connect to the end.

Quote:
Was there a specific video you watched that walked you through the install ?
I watched as many videos as I could find. I like Kies motorsports and their videos are usually helpful, but they installed the non turbo inlet version, still worth a watch.

This guy is installing only the Dinan turbo inlet, which I think is the most helpful for the MST intake w\ turbo inlet install

Quote:
Did you get any check engine lights ? Have you had any issues ?
No check engine lights or any issues. The only problem is I now want to hear the turbo all the time, once you get your on you will see what I mean. After putting this on I wish I'd done it as my first mod.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VegasG42375.00
      03-24-2024, 06:17 PM   #27
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I tightened until hand snug, consciously avoiding over tightening as I knew it was connecting to a plastic inlet. Yes, it feels snug once on there, and I made sure that the connector tube had a solid connection on the turbo going all the way around.

The hardest part is getting the stock turbo inlet off since it uses a metal clip that you need to remove (see below) -- you can hardly see anything and there's minimal room to work.

And the below pictured clamp. I partially broke the plastic piece but it still holds so I didn't worry about it. It was unclear to me how you are supposed to remove it so I just kept pressing/turning/twisting until I could get it to disconnect - it is really annoying the way it is designed - not sure if anyone else has this issue or knows the trick to get it off easily.

The rest of the components are super easy, it if wasn't for the above 2 pieces, and the super snug fit of the intake itself, I would have been done in 20 minutes. The MST intake fits in a way that you think it's not designed for the car, you need to adjust it enough until you are able to get the filter to connect to the end.

I watched as many videos as I could find. I like Kies motorsports and their videos are usually helpful, but they installed the non turbo inlet version, still worth a watch.

This guy is installing only the Dinan turbo inlet, which I think is the most helpful for the MST intake w\ turbo inlet install

No check engine lights or any issues. The only problem is I now want to hear the turbo all the time, once you get your on you will see what I mean. After putting this on I wish I'd done it as my first mod.
Oh wow, thank you so much. I really appreciate the help. Nothing worse than destroying something during in install.

Between this and the subwoofer install , I feel like I owe you a beer or something , lol
Appreciate 1
MPR1812.50
      03-24-2024, 06:36 PM   #28
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Just one last question :

This is the part that broke trying to get it disconnected ?

Is it now just loosely installed like that , or is it more secure than it looks ?

Or does a small hose clamp go around that part as well ?

Name:  Screenshot 2024-03-24 163225.png
Views: 64
Size:  860.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:40 PM   #29
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

VegasG42 Yes, that plastic ring that goes around it I believe broke. It still connects onto that metal port snugly -- it does not come out if I pull on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:48 PM   #30
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
VegasG42 Yes, that plastic ring that goes around it I believe broke. It still connects onto that metal port snugly -- it does not come out if I pull on it.
Very nice , thank you .

I wonder if you could add a small hose clamp just for piece of mind
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:51 PM   #31
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very nice , thank you .

I wonder if you could add a small hose clamp just for piece of mind
Around the plastic clip? I am not sure where the connection happens, whether its that plastic part or if something on the inside is doing something. When you do your install take a look and report back. If it is that outside plastic ring then yeah maybe Ill add a host clamp just for piece of mind.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42375.00
      03-24-2024, 07:00 PM   #32
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Around the plastic clip? I am not sure where the connection happens, whether its that plastic part or if something on the inside is doing something. When you do your install take a look and report back. If it is that outside plastic ring then yeah maybe Ill add a host clamp just for piece of mind.
I'll let you know my friend.

And as you can tell , I'm already anticipating that mine will break as well lol
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 07:03 PM   #33
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll let you know my friend.

And as you can tell , I'm already anticipating that mine will break as well lol
Maybe start researching for how you are supposed to remove that clip since you have a little time. My intake showed up unexpectedly so I went right to the install not knowing I was going to have this issue, and no patience to research it mid-install.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 07:08 PM   #34
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Maybe start researching for how you are supposed to remove that clip since you have a little time. My intake showed up unexpectedly so I went right to the install not knowing I was going to have this issue, and no patience to research it mid-install.
Good idea . I will check out the 340i forums and YouTube videos since it's the same equipment
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:06 AM   #35
speed817
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Just one last question :

This is the part that broke trying to get it disconnected ?

Is it now just loosely installed like that , or is it more secure than it looks ?

Or does a small hose clamp go around that part as well ?

Attachment 3417843
This connector was a pain in the ass to get back on when I installed my FTP turbo inlet pipe. Was able to finally get it on after wrestling with it for about 30 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 08:11 AM   #36
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed817 View Post
This connector was a pain in the ass to get back on when I installed my FTP turbo inlet pipe. Was able to finally get it on after wrestling with it for about 30 minutes.
Was it difficult getting it back into the new PVC location? As in, was it a very tight fit? Or would it just not snap in place? I remember seeing another video of a different vehicle install where the person said make sure you oil up the inside of the hole real good.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:17 AM   #37
speed817
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Was it difficult getting it back into the new PVC location? As in, was it a very tight fit? Or would it just not snap in place? I remember seeing another video of a different vehicle install where the person said make sure you oil up the inside of the hole real good.
Difficult to get back on. There's not a lot of slack with that hose and it isn't very flexible. The small space makes it difficult to get your hands in there unless you start removing stuff. I think what I did was I disconnected the inlet pipe from the turbo. This gave me flexibility to move the inlet pipe around. I was then able to secure that PVC hose connector onto the inlet pipe and then connected the inlet pipe onto the turbo. Luckily I didn't break anything.

This struggled has discouraged me from doing a charge pipe and BOV install because I don't want to deal with that connector again LOL

Here's a thread I found that talks about that PVC connector breaking.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1781783
Appreciate 1
VegasG42375.00
      03-25-2024, 12:54 PM   #38
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed817 View Post
Difficult to get back on. There's not a lot of slack with that hose and it isn't very flexible. The small space makes it difficult to get your hands in there unless you start removing stuff. I think what I did was I disconnected the inlet pipe from the turbo. This gave me flexibility to move the inlet pipe around. I was then able to secure that PVC hose connector onto the inlet pipe and then connected the inlet pipe onto the turbo. Luckily I didn't break anything.

This struggled has discouraged me from doing a charge pipe and BOV install because I don't want to deal with that connector again LOL

Here's a thread I found that talks about that PVC connector breaking.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1781783
I just watched a inlet pipe Supra install video last night. The guy actually snapped the PVC tube off from the engine. He drove his car without it attached for like 3 days. Until he could order the other one.

So that is definitely something I am afraid of.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 03:05 PM   #39
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Definitely lube up the pcv valve and inside of the bung with some oil. She’s a tight fit but this will help
Appreciate 1
VegasG42375.00
      03-25-2024, 09:01 PM   #40
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

VegasG42 just got this in my feed, may be worth a watch as he shows the clip on the factory turbo inlet.

https://youtu.be/AucVffht18s?si=61jqIriTBTrLY2Md
Appreciate 1
VegasG42375.00
      03-25-2024, 10:06 PM   #41
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

After reading several instances of people breaking the breather tube while trying to remove / install the inlet pipe - I am really considering unscrewing the entire crankcase vent tube from the side of the engine , and then removing the entire stock inlet tube with the vent tube still attached.

This way I can freely be able to safety unclip and remove the tube.

I'm just wondering if I will be able to access the torx screw with the stock inlet pipe still in place.

Either that , or I just might proactively order a new replacement breather tube to have on hand ......

Name:  Screenshot 2024-03-25 200323.png
Views: 50
Size:  67.5 KB
Appreciate 1
MPR1812.50
      03-27-2024, 05:12 PM   #42
bam_bam_la
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i, G20 330i

Quote:
After reading several instances of people breaking the breather tube while trying to remove / install the inlet pipe - I am really considering unscrewing the entire crankcase vent tube from the side of the engine , and then removing the entire stock inlet tube with the vent tube still attached.

This way I can freely be able to safety unclip and remove the tube.

I'm just wondering if I will be able to access the torx screw with the stock inlet pipe still in place.

Either that , or I just might proactively order a new replacement breather tube to have on hand ......

Attachment 3418767
Just broke mine the other day pulling off the turbo inlet. Its a VERY tight fit to get to that torx but you might be able to get to it with the inlet still on.

People do have success without going through all of that though. You just gotta get the breather detached before moving the inlet around. The breather line is rigid plastic and has virtually no slack and its insanely fragile. If you pull the inlet our twist it around trying to get it off while the crankcase breather is still attached, it will snap. If you detach it first, you should be good.

Wish more people talk about how easy it is to break that thing btw. I would have for sure been more careful. $80 and a couple days without the car and lessons learned!
Appreciate 1
VegasG42375.00
      03-27-2024, 05:18 PM   #43
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

I went ahead and ordered another breather outlet tube from Toyota. The Supra breather tube is identical to ours. And it was roughly $25 versus about $40 for the BMW branded tube. So I'll be covered whether I break it or not
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 05:20 PM   #44
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam_bam_la View Post
Just broke mine the other day pulling off the turbo inlet. Its a VERY tight fit to get to that torx but you might be able to get to it with the inlet still on.

People do have success without going through all of that though. You just gotta get the breather detached before moving the inlet around. The breather line is rigid plastic and has virtually no slack and its insanely fragile. If you pull the inlet our twist it around trying to get it off while the crankcase breather is still attached, it will snap. If you detach it first, you should be good.

Wish more people talk about how easy it is to break that thing btw. I would have for sure been more careful. $80 and a couple days without the car and lessons learned!
Yep. A very common complaint once I started researching this while doing research before the install. Why intake companies don't stress the fact that that tube breaks very easily. And some even said why not just sell the kit with the new tube included.
Appreciate 0