E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 N47 won't rev above idle :( *videos included*

Yesterday, 12:45 PM   #1
E90Lad
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 318D

E90 N47 won't rev above idle :( *videos included*

Hey everyone,

I'd recently bought an e90 318D msport. I've been having a somewhat long list of issues with it, mainly now I've been told that it doesn't want to rev past idle. Does anyone have a potential fix or ideas? Below I'll go Into detail of what's happened thus far to paint a picture.

Started with it dying outside my house 2 months ago, chalked it up to having left a rear light near the back seats? Assumed battery died, got it jumped and it fired back up. 2 days after it died again, this time a strong jump pack didn't do it. Ended up using a recovery trucks jump leads AND jump pack to get it going again.
Got a new battery for it and it ran great for about a month, after which it randomly died outside of work(it would idle for about 10 seconds then die out and wouldnt rev above 800rpm before choking itself out). Got it recovered and towed to my mechanic. After some diagnosis it threw an I intake motor sensor. I got a new part and it fixed it for about 3 weeks. Died again same issue and in the same way, my mechanic had said to limp it over to the garage(by unplugging the sensor to the intake motor) after some more diagnosing we couldn't find an issue. Since then it died 3 times, I'd use the trick of unplugging the sensor to get the car to run. I'm not sure why but everytime I plugged it out. It would rev and drive fine, for some reason if I plugged it back in while the car was on it would sit at idle and not rev.
Fast forward to today, after more diagnosing the egr and dpf weren't coded out properly by previous owner? Had the entire ecu recoded and dpf and egr properly deleted and blocked etc. Still have an issue with it not revving, I was told it threw some codes for fuel injector adaptations? That it might either need fuel injector cleaning or new injectors?

Before I throw anymore money at it, has anyone got any ideas at all that could point me in the right direction? Apologies for the long post, I've been pretty down about it and figured I'd get some info here

All the best

Videos Below to explain context

https://youtube.com/shorts/FF2NrGbM1iY?feature=shared
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #2
Jarninius
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Lad View Post
Hey everyone,

I'd recently bought an e90 318D msport. I've been having a somewhat long list of issues with it, mainly now I've been told that it doesn't want to rev past idle. Does anyone have a potential fix or ideas? Below I'll go Into detail of what's happened thus far to paint a picture.

Started with it dying outside my house 2 months ago, chalked it up to having left a rear light near the back seats? Assumed battery died, got it jumped and it fired back up. 2 days after it died again, this time a strong jump pack didn't do it. Ended up using a recovery trucks jump leads AND jump pack to get it going again.
Got a new battery for it and it ran great for about a month, after which it randomly died outside of work(it would idle for about 10 seconds then die out and wouldnt rev above 800rpm before choking itself out). Got it recovered and towed to my mechanic. After some diagnosis it threw an I intake motor sensor. I got a new part and it fixed it for about 3 weeks. Died again same issue and in the same way, my mechanic had said to limp it over to the garage(by unplugging the sensor to the intake motor) after some more diagnosing we couldn't find an issue. Since then it died 3 times, I'd use the trick of unplugging the sensor to get the car to run. I'm not sure why but everytime I plugged it out. It would rev and drive fine, for some reason if I plugged it back in while the car was on it would sit at idle and not rev.
Fast forward to today, after more diagnosing the egr and dpf weren't coded out properly by previous owner? Had the entire ecu recoded and dpf [...]
It sounds like you may possibly having issues with your battery. I would recommend disconnecting your negative battery terminal and putting a multimeter between the terminal and connector. measure the amps and you should be getting a reading of 0 or at least extremely close to 0. if you are getting anything above that, you have something causing a parasitic draw which is draining your battery while the car is off. Also, depending on the year of the car you need to register a new battery. If you haven’t dont that it could also be a cause. It doesn’t necessarily sound like your bsttery is bad, but it is still something to try. If your car is throwing any fault codes I would include them in order to be able to diagnose any possible issues.

Last edited by Jarninius; Yesterday at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:37 PM   #3
Jarninius
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

One more comment, I didn’t see the part where you mentioned fuel injector adaptations. Your fuel injectors have numbers on them that must be calibrated using a certain software. All injectors have different calibration numbers on them so anytime injectors are replaced they need to be programmed properly. Without that, it can cause your engine to run rough.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:16 AM   #4
E90Lad
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 318D

So the car is a 2010 318D msport. Got a new battery for it but I'm not sure if it was ever coded in or not? I wasn't fully aware of battery adaptations.
As far as the injectors go, they haven't been touched. I had a print out of the codes on paper but cannot find them. From what I remember it had something to do with Injector adaptions? Was recommended an injector clean or if that doesn't work to get new injectors. In which case, before I go buying new parts what else could be the source of the problem? And do OE injectors vs Third party brands make a difference? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks
Appreciate 0