E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 330i crank no start

Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #1
06fourdoor
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330i sedan

e90 330i crank no start

I have recently swapped the engine in my 2006 330i sedan due to the previous one grenading itself, along the way the battery got jumped backwards and likely fried a component or two. So far we have determined it is not the CAS, DME, Junction Box, or relays in the engine bay. A large majority of the car has been tested to see if it is receiving power as it should and everything seems normal. the only thing that is not as it came from the factory is a catch can has replaced the pcv system. Any tips on why it won't start or what component is telling the computer not to start would be very much appreciated. I attached screenshots of the most recent scan that was taken of the car as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:35 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06fourdoor View Post
I have recently swapped the engine in my 2006 330i sedan...
Your ProTool Screens show NO communication from ANY of the Modules connected to the JBE (Hub) via the PT-CAN Bus. Those modules are DME (Engine Control Module), EKPS Fuel Pump Module, EGS (If AT), & DSC Dynamic Stability Control. The C90B fault code (for which "no definition found" means the JBE (Hub) is NOT receiving communication via the PT-CAN Bus.

If you will provide:
1) Your Last-7 Characters of VIN?
2) Do you have a Multimeter?
3) Has there been any water leak into Passenger Footwell?
4) Did anyone disconnect anything at the JBE (Junction Box Electronics) beneath the JB Fuse Panel?

I will provide ISTA ScreenPrints of wiring, Connector Location & Views, with test instructions.
George
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:35 AM   #3
06fourdoor
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330i sedan

Thanks George,
The VIN is in the first screenshot from protool, I do have a multimeter, there has been no water leak and the junction box had not been touched at the time of the scan though we did try to replace it later on with little to no change. I wonder if it's the fuse panel itself that could be causing the issue.
Thanks again,
Mitchell
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:13 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06fourdoor View Post
... I do have a multimeter, there has been no water leak and the junction box had not been touched at the time of the scan though we did try to replace it later on with little to no change... Mitchell
Your ProTool Screens all indicate there is NO signal received by the JBE "Hub" from the PT-CAN Bus. There are NO faults or communication reported for the DME, EKPS or DSC Modules. The C90B fault indicates NO signal received from PT-CAN Bus by JBE/JBBF.

I attach, to NEXT Post, ISTA ScreenPrints of PT-CAN Bus system & Connectors in E-Box (X6021), at JBE (Blue X14271) & at DME (X60001). If there is NO communication with PT-CAN Bus, apparently there is a wiring fault in the Red or Blue/Red wires in that Bus. I would disconnect each of the first 3 connectors listed above, & test each of the two wires for continuity, for contact between the two wires, & for contact to Chassis Ground.

Inspect the two PT-CAN Pins/sockets for corrosion or damage. e.g. at X14271, check the Pin & Socket #1 Blue/Red Wire, & also #2 Red wire.

There are other possible places wiring fault, such as at the DSC Module, but please just check the connectors & wiring discussed above, & let us know what you find. When you post back, please update the Fault Codes.
George
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:16 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints per prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0