F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > EWG codes and drivetrain malfunction
Extreme Powerhouse

04-24-2024, 09:49 PM   #1
swoopingpanda
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i msport

EWG codes and drivetrain malfunction

Hey everyone
I’ve run into a problem with my 14 335i. I get drive train malfunction and a rattle that on start up is very noticeable but when the car gets to running temperature it’s barely audible. The codes are

123432 - electric wastegate, learning limit stop: wastegate closed, outside tolerance

123401-Electric wastegate, learning limit position, cold start :malfunction

120408 - charging pressure control, deactivation, pressure buildup blocked

So I assumed it was wastegate rattle, did some research and looked into it with ISTA and found the wastegate was at -2.88mm

Took it to a mechanic and we attempted to adjust the wastegate linkage but the reading never changed from -2.88; which could just be me not being familiar with ISTA process’s. We did some more research and found that these faults can happen with a bad wiring harness (engine system module 1 wiring harness…I think)

There is clear lack of boost with the malfunction but sometimes the malfunction doesn’t happen and it drives just fine, still with the rattle though.

So my question is, has anyone had to adjust their ewg linkage? It seemed self explanatory but someone with experience giving a breakdown would be sweet. Also has anyone had a wiring harness issue? The intermittent malfunctions seem like an electronic problem but who knows.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 09:53 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Its fairly uncommon but there's a few random threads/posts where people adjust it, following ISTA procedure as you probably attempted to do.

Based on your post, i would tend to agree that it sounds like a wiring issue, if it works fine sometimes but not others. Is -2.88 the minimum reads, as in if its grounded or shorted it would read -2.88? What does it read if you unplug it?
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 07:33 PM   #3
swoopingpanda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Its fairly uncommon but there's a few random threads/posts where people adjust it, following ISTA procedure as you probably attempted to do.

Based on your post, i would tend to agree that it sounds like a wiring issue, if it works fine sometimes but not others. Is -2.88 the minimum reads, as in if its grounded or shorted it would read -2.88? What does it read if you unplug it?
I guess I don’t understand your question…do you mean if I unplug the actuator? If so, I haven’t done that. We know that part is moving because we watched it when we did the linkage test with ista.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 07:45 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopingpanda View Post
I guess I don’t understand your question…do you mean if I unplug the actuator? If so, I haven’t done that. We know that part is moving because we watched it when we did the linkage test with ista.
Yeah if you unplug the harness connection does it read -2.88? As if -2.88 is the 'default' value if there is no signal. So if it ready -2.88 when you unplug it and you intermittently get -2.88 when its plugged in, it might be a wiring issue
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 07:49 PM   #5
swoopingpanda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Yeah if you unplug the harness connection does it read -2.88? As if -2.88 is the 'default' value if there is no signal. So if it ready -2.88 when you unplug it and you intermittently get -2.88 when its plugged in, it might be a wiring issue
Ahhhh okay! Didn’t think of that, it’ll be something I’ll look into! Thanks for the idea
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 02:30 PM   #6
swoopingpanda
Rep

Just to make sure I was fiddling with the correct linkage. Here’s a photo

I’m at -2.88…I’ve read that if I want to get that to 0, I need to move the nut towards the front of the car. Can anyone confirm this ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0