F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F32 Front Splitter
Extreme Powerhouse

04-27-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series 420d M Sport F32

F32 Front Splitter

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting myself a new front splitter for my F32. When I bought the car I had asked for this to be fitted along with a rear diffuser. No issues with the diffuser but there was with the splitter. The guy I bought it off fitted it himself and just used screws, unbeknownst to me at the time he had failed to use the self adhesive tape on the inside of the splitter. Sure enough it broke on my drive home and caused some level of outrage!

Anyway, some months have passed and I do find I wouldn't mind getting a new a one. Obviously I don't want to pay huge sums as I've read a lot about them breaking or people on their 2nd/3rd splitters by now. So I'm debating steering clear of OEM's and buying off ebay or other sites with unbranded splitters. I know the best option is probably the most expensive one being an OEM splitter but I'm trying to avoid spending top dollar! I've seen one on ebay that looks virtually the same as the original one I had on. Only difference is this one has 3 sections for screwing in on the front centre of it. The original one I had had 1 section.

Not sure what people's experiences of splitters have been. Also have read things like not recommended to drive above 140Kmph with splitter fitted which of course is quite difficult when you have the car looking mean and more aggressive!

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/FRONT-SPLITT...AAAOSwRS1eb6On
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #2
PJJD
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange II F32 M Sport+

Welcome to the forum lad

I can't speak to the quality of that particular splitter, but it looks reasonable, plus it comes painted and is reasonably priced.

If you end up getting another splitter, I'd advise getting some strips of aluminium to place on the inside of the bumper - that way you have something solid to screw into and will prevent the splitter from being pulled off the bumper when you're traveling at speed. That's what I done with mine.

Also, its a cardinal sin for a newcomer to not post photos of their car
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:54 AM   #3
2JPW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435I M SPORT

Got mine from unit17 and can't fault it:
Pics here:
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26013740
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 05:21 AM   #4
JeffBMW4Series
Private
Rep
Drives: 430i F33 Convertible

Got mine from here..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-4-SER...72.m2749.l2649
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep

@PJJD

Thanks for the welcome and my apologies for committing the cardinal sin of not posting pics of my car!!

Here's a few, she could do with a bit of a wash I'm afraid! Not getting any driving in with Covid-19 keeping her parked up at the moment!

Your own F32 is lovely, like the rear diffuser, think it looks same as mine. I didn't get the double exhaust mind you, it was going to be an extra £450 for it when buying the car, looks great but the lad said it wasn't going to serve a purpose on my car, more just for the aesthetic so I left it. Probably would have fallen off if he'd fitted like he did the splitter anyway!!

The last pic is the wheels that I've just gotten recently that I'm going to put on. Been chasing these for a while, they are replica 624M wheels. Couldn't find them anywhere at a reasonable price for ages!

Thanks for the advice re the spliiter. Oddly I checked directly on the tuningonline.eu page (the same as the ebay seller) and it was priced cheaper. I asked does he ship to Ireland and he said no despite it being advertised that way! Frustrating as it seemed the best value and I particularly liked the 3 pieces in the centre of the front lip to the splitter that connect to the bumper. Just thought that would give more stability. I've noticed the splitter's on Fast Lane Styling have the one centre piece for screwing to the bumper and they are priced a bit higher.

What are the aluminium strips you are referring to to place on inside of bumper? Any pics? Do you mount these with screws to bumper and then screw the splitter onto these? Seen it mentioned to use bolts, nuts and fenders along with 3M adhesive tape to fit the splitter, screws might tear through it if there was too much force against it.

Last edited by Mitch100414; 05-26-2020 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
PJJD101.00
      04-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
PJJD
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch100414 View Post
@PJJD

Thanks for the welcome and my apologies for committing the cardinal sin of not posting pics of my car!!

Here's a few, she could do with a bit of a wash I'm afraid! Not getting any driving in with Covid-19 keeping her parked up at the moment!

Your own F32 is lovely, like the rear diffuser, think it looks same as mine. I didn't get the double exhaust mind you, it was going to be an extra £450 for it when buying the car, looks great but the lad said it wasn't going to serve a purpose on my car, more just for the aesthetic so I left it. Probably would have fallen off if he'd fitted like he did the splitter anyway!!

The last pic is the wheels that I've just gotten recently that I'm going to put on. Been chasing these for a while, they are replica 624M wheels. Couldn't find them anywhere at a reasonable price for ages!

Thanks for the advice re the spliiter. Oddly I checked directly on the tuningonline.eu page (the same as the ebay seller) and it was priced cheaper. I asked does he ship to Ireland and he said no despite it being advertised that way! Frustrating as it seemed the best value and I particularly liked the 3 pieces in the centre of the front lip to the splitter that connect to the bumper. Just thought that would give more stability. I've noticed the splitter's on Fast Lane Styling have the one centre piece for screwing to the bumper and they are priced a bit higher.

What are the aluminium strips you are referring to to place on inside of bumper? Any pics? Do you mount these with screws to bumper and then screw the splitter onto these? Seen it mentioned to use bolts, nuts and fenders along with 3M adhesive tape to fit the splitter, screws might tear through it if there was too much force against it.
I had strips of aluminium, which I cut into 2x2" squares. If you look underneath your bumper, you'll see where the black plastic under-tray runs inside the bottom lip of the bumper. I test-fitted my splitter and pre-drilled small pilot holes for the self-tapping screws. I then slid the aluminium between the bumper and the under-tray, and screwed short self-tapping screws through the bumper and then through the aluminium. The aluminium provides a lot more grip, than just screwing into the plastic of the bumper. So in other words, the self-tapping screw goes through the splitter (through the pre-drilled holes that come on the splitter from the factory), then through the bumper and finally through the aluminium. It was a lot easier than removing the bumper, drilling the holes, and bolting the splitter to the bumper and does the same job. I also used double-sided tape when fitting it, so its solid as a rock.

I hope that all makes sense
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJJD View Post
Quote:
@PJJD

I had strips of aluminium, which I cut into 2x2" squares. If you look underneath your bumper, you'll see where the black plastic under-tray runs inside the bottom lip of the bumper. I test-fitted my splitter and pre-drilled small pilot holes for the self-tapping screws. I then slid the aluminium between the bumper and the under-tray, and screwed short self-tapping screws through the bumper and then through the aluminium. The aluminium provides a lot more grip, than just screwing into the plastic of the bumper. So in other words, the self-tapping screw goes through the splitter (through the pre-drilled holes that come on the splitter from the factory), then through the bumper and finally through the aluminium. It was a lot easier than removing the bumper, drilling the holes, and bolting the splitter to the bumper and does the same job. I also used double-sided tape when fitting it, so its solid as a rock.

I hope that all makes sense
That all makes complete sense, thanks man. Now it's just about trying to source one that looks pretty much the same as the one I'd seen in Belgium that he won't send me for some strange reason! I know fastlane styling do virtually the same one but without the 3 points along the centre pieces to screw in to the bumper. Guess I'll get the wheels on first and see how they look before making a call on the splitter.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #8
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBMW4Series View Post
How long have you had your one on and did you get them to fit for you or did you do it yourself? Any issues with it?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:31 AM   #9
JeffBMW4Series
Private
Rep
Drives: 430i F33 Convertible

Quote:
How long have you had your one on and did you get them to fit for you or did you do it yourself? Any issues with it?
About a week, no issues and got a friend who has a garage to fit it for me. About an hours job.

Very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:50 AM   #10
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBMW4Series View Post
Quote:
About a week, no issues and got a friend who has a garage to fit it for me. About an hours job.

Very happy with it.
Nice one. It looks great. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #11
PJJD
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
That all makes complete sense, thanks man. Now it's just about trying to source one that looks pretty much the same as the one I'd seen in Belgium that he won't send me for some strange reason! I know fastlane styling do virtually the same one but without the 3 points along the centre pieces to screw in to the bumper. Guess I'll get the wheels on first and see how they look before making a call on the splitter.
Exactly, get your wheels fitted first and then worry about a splitter. What size 624m did you go for?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #12
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly, get your wheels fitted first and then worry about a splitter. What size 624m did you go for?
Went with 19inch, same as what is on right now. Kindof thought about the 20inch but just decided to stick with as is.

You got a splitter on your F32 in the end did you say on another post? Where did you end up getting your one?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #13
PJJD
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Went with 19inch, same as what is on right now. Kindof thought about the 20inch but just decided to stick with as is.

You got a splitter on your F32 in the end did you say on another post? Where did you end up getting your one?
I went for a Rieger carbon fibre front splitter. I have it on for about 8 months now, but I haven't taken any photos of it. I must take some and update my thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #14
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I went for a Rieger carbon fibre front splitter. I have it on for about 8 months now, but I haven't taken any photos of it. I must take some and update my thread.
Yea do, be interested to see what it looks like. Are you running 20inch rims on your car too?
Where did you get the Rieger splitter from? Experience any bumps or bangs on it over those 8 months?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #15
PJJD
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Yea do, be interested to see what it looks like. Are you running 20inch rims on your car too?
Where did you get the Rieger splitter from? Experience any bumps or bangs on it over those 8 months?
No, mine are the 19" 704m from the factory.

I bought mine through the Spoiler Centre in Tyrone. Nope, never had any issues, although I do very few miles in my car as I have a van for work. I also fitted AC Schnitzer springs a few months ago and still have never had any issues with the splitter
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #16
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I bought mine through the Spoiler Centre in Tyrone. Nope, never had any issues, although I do very few miles in my car as I have a van for work. I also fitted AC Schnitzer springs a few months ago and still have never had any issues with the splitter
Good to know, I suppose it's not quite as low a riding splitter as the m performance style one. Torn on them, the Rieger one and Maxton design ones are probably better for not scuffing as much but the m performance one is the one I keep being drawn too. Guess if I can find a decent enough one at a reasonable price and if it does annoy after a few months if it's scuffing a bit it can always come off and it hasn't been overly expensive mistake!😄
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 09:33 AM   #17
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep

Quote:

I deviated off from advice lad and couldn't help but get the splitter on the car first!!
I fitted it myself using 3m tape and bolts underneath. It seems pretty secure and I test ran it after fitting it to put it under pressure with speed! Held up okay, fit isn't absolutely 100% but it's very hard to get right when putting the side wings on first as the tape pretty much sticks immediately and there's a bit of thickness to the tape too, I'm happy enough though. No scrapes yet either which is a surprise as there's a fair few bad roads around where I am and a few speed bumps to navigate!

I followed it up with getting the wheels I'd bought a few weeks back fitted aswell! Here's a few snaps of it now, think it's changed the whole look of the car. Let me know what you guys think. (One pic is how it looked before the face lift!)

Just need to get the twin exhaust sorted and considering a remap to boost bhp and torque now.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mitch100414; 05-26-2020 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #18
PJJD
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
I deviated off from advice lad and couldn't help but get the splitter on the car first!!
I fitted it myself using 3m tape and bolts underneath. It seems pretty secure and I test ran it after fitting it to put it under pressure with speed! Held up okay, fit isn't absolutely 100% but it's very hard to get right when putting the side wings on first as the tape pretty much sticks immediately and there's a bit of thickness to the tape too, I'm happy enough though. No scrapes yet either which is a surprise as there's a fair few bad roads around where I am and a few speed bumps to navigate!

I followed it up with getting the wheels I'd bought a few weeks back fitted aswell! Here's a few snaps of it now, think it's changed the whole look of the car. Let me know what you guys think. (One pic is how it looked before the face lift!)

Just need to get the twin exhaust sorted and considering a remap to boost bhp and torque now.
She looks the part now lad, very nice

See, once you've started buying parts, you wont stop

Glad to hear the splitter is holding up (literally). The 3m double-sided tape should keep it secure, so you should be safe enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #19
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

She looks the part now lad, very nice

See, once you've started buying parts, you wont stop

Glad to hear the splitter is holding up (literally). The 3m double-sided tape should keep it secure, so you should be safe enough.
Cheers man, oh yea I'd well believe that, once you start it's hard to stop or know when is enough!! 🤦🏻*♂️
Appreciate 1
PJJD101.00