home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-17-2024, 08:32 AM   #1
Kayger12
Rep
Drives: M2 (orderd); '05 330Ci ZHP

If You Had it to do All Over Again...

Newb and long-time lurker/reader.

Did my legwork here and ordered the car this week. I have some time to percolate/adjust on options as I'm waiting for the allocation to come up at the dealer.

My question is-- for those in the car for a while, and knowing what you know now-- what would you have done differently with respect to speccing out the car?

Options you regret not getting? Options that were a waste?

Color choice remorse?

Appreciate the feedback and all of the posts and contributions that got me to this point.

Current build: 6MT, ZB, M-Color highlight, CF trim, JB wheels, Shadowline/lighting pkg, CF roof, HUD, wireless charging, heated wheel (I'm getting soft in my old age)
Appreciate 1
Ronin76739.00
      04-17-2024, 08:49 AM   #2
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayger12 View Post

Did my legwork here and ordered the car this week. I have some time to percolate/adjust on options as I'm waiting for the allocation to come up at the dealer.

My question is-- for those in the car for a while, and knowing what you know now-- what would you have done differently with respect to speccing out the car?

Color choice remorse?

Appreciate the feedback and all of the posts and contributions that got me to this point.

Current build: 6MT, ZB, M-Color highlight, CF trim, JB wheels, Shadowline/lighting pkg, CF roof, HUD, wireless charging, heated wheel (I'm getting soft in my old age)
I've had my car for about 3 months and I have 2010 miles on the odometer. My only thoughts so far on "if I were to do it again" are: (1) black is a pain to keep clean but its the color I really wanted above all others, and I couldn't settle on another one just because it was easier to keep clean, (2) I think I would be happy either way with the 6mt or the 8 speed auto-- I went back and forth on this decision the months leading up to getting an allocation. I believe long-term this decision will be solidified as the right one for me as I really want to teach my boys how to drive a manual when they are of age. One cool thing so far is the added geek-out people have when they see my car and notice the stick shift.

One thing I have heard from others is that specced it is the wireless charging option in these cars is pretty poor, especially when using android auto or carplay the pad is more of a phone warmer vs a charger.
      04-17-2024, 08:58 AM   #3
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW R32

6k miles, daily driver. agree w JMcLellan on the black being a difficult color to keep clean, but i knew that going in as i already have 3 other black cars. IF i were to change that, it would be for AW or a frozen color- but its definitely not enough of a factor to sway how i feel about it.

everyone is gonna tell you to delete the wireless charger in a 6MT build- sounds like the right move but i did not spec it. i positively love my heated wheel and park assist is a must with the overhang up front on this car.

things i did not spec: shadowline, lighting, HUD, CF trim, M color highlights, JB wheels. of those 6 things, the only one i MIGHT go back and add is the lighting package, and that would strictly be for the anti dazzle coding which seems cool. but the standard lights low beams are so bright that i regularly get flashed because people think they are high beams, so it is not a question of light output for sure. the rest are simply matters of taste IMHO
Appreciate 4
      04-17-2024, 09:12 AM   #4
Kayger12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I've had my car for about 3 months and I have 2010 miles on the odometer. My only thoughts so far on "if I were to do it again" are: (1) black is a pain to keep clean but its the color I really wanted above all others, and I couldn't settle on another one just because it was easier to keep clean, (2) I think I would be happy either way with the 6mt or the 8 speed auto-- I went back and forth on this decision the months leading up to getting an allocation. I believe long-term this decision will be solidified as the right one for me as I really want to teach my boys how to drive a manual when they are of age. One cool thing so far is the added geek-out people have when they see my car and notice the stick shift.

One thing I have heard from others is that specced it is the wireless charging option in these cars is pretty poor, especially when using android auto or carplay the pad is more of a phone warmer vs a charger.
Great feedback, thanks.

I really struggled with the color. Everything I've had for the last decade plus is gray. Had one black car and loved it for 5 minutes every time I washed it, lol.

The ZB thread here made me a lot more comfortable going the ZB route.

Good info on the wireless charging. I'll do a little more digging on that.
Appreciate 3
      04-17-2024, 09:14 AM   #5
Kayger12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
6k miles, daily driver. agree w JMcLellan on the black being a difficult color to keep clean, but i knew that going in as i already have 3 other black cars. IF i were to change that, it would be for AW or a frozen color- but its definitely not enough of a factor to sway how i feel about it.

everyone is gonna tell you to delete the wireless charger in a 6MT build- sounds like the right move but i did not spec it. i positively love my heated wheel and park assist is a must with the overhang up front on this car.

things i did not spec: shadowline, lighting, HUD, CF trim, M color highlights, JB wheels. of those 6 things, the only one i MIGHT go back and add is the lighting package, and that would strictly be for the anti dazzle coding which seems cool. but the standard lights low beams are so bright that i regularly get flashed because people think they are high beams, so it is not a question of light output for sure. the rest are simply matters of taste IMHO
Good stuff, thanks. I didn't even consider the parking assist, but that makes a ton of sense.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2024, 10:26 AM   #6
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

The only option I would've liked, that I don't have, is the cf roof. However, it's not worth the cost to me. The wireless charging and 5g wifi are a waste. The car I purchased had them, I wouldn't have chosen them.

I love the Toronto Red color because it has orange undertones. I don't generally care for red cars. HUD, lighting, shadowline, park assist are all great. I have the M-highlighted interior and everyone comments about how cool it looks.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16539.00
      04-17-2024, 10:39 AM   #7
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 ZB (Manual)

I wouldn't really call it a do over but I would have loved the CF Roof but then I would have had to sell or trade the seats
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2024, 10:46 AM   #8
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

The only things I still think about

- Frozen Grey
- Carbon Roof

I went with BGM because my F87 was Mineral Grey Metallic. I alternate colors with my cars. Light/Dark/repeat. But I every time I see that Frozen Grey it looks great. I still think I made the right choice.

The CF roof obviously looks amazing, but I did not think it was worth the cost. Also, I'm in LA and really like moonroofs.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16539.00
      04-17-2024, 11:08 AM   #9
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
The only things I still think about

- Frozen Grey
- Carbon Roof

I went with BGM because my F87 was Mineral Grey Metallic. I alternate colors with my cars. Light/Dark/repeat. But I every time I see that Frozen Grey it looks great. I still think I made the right choice.

The CF roof obviously looks amazing, but I did not think it was worth the cost. Also, I'm in LA and really like moonroofs.
i think it is funny how the CF roof can be such a point of contention- some folks are aghast at the idea of a $2600 moonroof delete, some folks swear the CF roof will be a huge swing in resale going forward, some people just need the headroom. i'd have optioned the steel roof if i could, but the carbon weave is pretty darn cool. i think it makes the car feel more special IMHO.
      04-17-2024, 11:12 AM   #10
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:

My question is— for those in the car for a while, and knowing what you know now— what would you have done differently with respect to speccing out the car?

Color choice remorse?

Good post as I would like to know. Your spec is close to what I am going to get except for wireless changing. Everyone seems to say its a waste of $200.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2024, 11:14 AM   #11
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
i think it is funny how the CF roof can be such a point of contention- some folks are aghast at the idea of a $2600 moonroof delete, some folks swear the CF roof will be a huge swing in resale going forward, some people just need the headroom. i'd have optioned the steel roof if i could, but the carbon weave is pretty darn cool. i think it makes the car feel more special IMHO.
Carbon roof or slick top cars are always in demand with enthusiasts and hold higher values than moon roof cars across every generation, the G87 wont be any different.
Appreciate 3
      04-17-2024, 12:11 PM   #12
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Go RED and enjoy life and fresh air and light with a sunroof!!

Add Bi-color wheels as black is like rolling on 4 pieces of coal. Boring! Tires are already black. Get some contrast and color!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
psoto1360.00
      04-17-2024, 12:15 PM   #13
RemoWilliams84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 ZB M2

Quote:

Color choice remorse?

I'm completely in love with my ZB manual. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a sunroof instead of cf. I didn't realize how much I'd miss it in the spring.
Appreciate 3
      04-17-2024, 12:21 PM   #14
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Bought mine off the show floor. When my sales dude called and said they had a white one I was like, "White? Meh." But he said come take a look and we really liked it especially with the cognac interior. And black accent parts look really nice on it. What would I have done differently if I ordered it?

Skip the wireless charging and e-sim and add on the carbon fiber trim.

Maybe look at the all black wheels instead of the bi-color.

That's about it.
Ronin76739.00
      04-17-2024, 12:22 PM   #15
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
It definitely does make the car feel more special and more "M" -- and now you're exacerbating my latent regret for not optioning it!
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2024, 12:23 PM   #16
RemoWilliams84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 ZB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRyan2019 View Post
Bought mine off the show floor. When my sales dude called and said they had a white one I was like, "White? Meh." But he said come take a look and we really liked it especially with the cognac interior. And black accent parts look really nice on it. What would I have done differently if I ordered it?

Skip the wireless charging and e-sim and add on the carbon fiber trim.

Maybe look at the all black wheels instead of the bi-color.

That's about it.
I agree about the wheels. bi-color looks great on any of the darker colors (even red). But white and ZB kind of needs the black wheels.
Appreciate 4
Ronin76739.00
ayilar16.00
      04-17-2024, 12:55 PM   #17
Kayger12
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post
I'm completely in love with my ZB manual. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a sunroof instead of cf. I didn't realize how much I'd miss it in the spring.
I'm a huge sunroof guy. I ordinarily wouldn't consider a car without one, but something about the CF roof on this car just looks so good to me.

You can usually bank on me getting a gray vehicle with a sunroof-- going to really break the mold on this one and get all of my midlife crisis out in one shot.
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2024, 12:56 PM   #18
Kayger12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
Good post as I would like to know. Your spec is close to what I am going to get except for wireless changing. Everyone seems to say its a waste of $200.
I'm quickly learning that. Going to delete the charging and swap in the parking assist.
Appreciate 2
Ronin76739.00
clydefrog288.50
      04-17-2024, 12:58 PM   #19
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
I'm quickly learning that. Going to delete the charging and swap in the parking assist.
I also am not getting the adaptive cruise control. Friend of mine has it and he said he rarely uses it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 12:59 PM   #20
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:

Color choice remorse?

There are color choices?
Appreciate 3
Zatellia180.00
koopa81.50
      04-17-2024, 01:01 PM   #21
Kayger12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
There are color choices?
Laughed out loud at that one
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 01:05 PM   #22
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
Go RED and enjoy life and fresh air and light with a sunroof!!

Add Bi-color wheels as black is like rolling on 4 pieces of coal. Boring! Tires are already black. Get some contrast and color!
Jesus is this your garage?!?