E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Bricked CIC with ISTA/P, can I just get a new CIC module? [Yes, it works!]

08-29-2024, 08:37 PM   #1
Ohio Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335i, '18 BRZ

Bricked CIC with ISTA/P, can I just get a new CIC module? [Yes, it works!]

Edit and update: ended up buying a used CIC with the same exact part number as my current one, and except for navigation with is grayed out, everything else is working without any issues.

I joined the club of bricking my CIC with ISTA/P trying my hand in coding. The rest of the car works fine and there are no errors or faults. Obviously a major screwup on my part.

Looking at the various threads on how to resolve this, it looks like an ICON cable is the most guaranteed way. Currently I only have a THOR adapter, and buying an ICON cable is quite expensive.

On the other hand, it looks like used CIC modules (the radio buttons and CD portion) are sold for around $100-150. It feels like a cheaper, easier and more fool-proof way to get my CIC working again.

Based on bimmer.work VIN decoding, my CIC has 609, 620, 639, 655, 676, 6AA, 6AB, 6FL, 6UH. Also attached a picture of the label on the CIC module if that helps.

Appreciate any help I can get!

However, I don't really care about navigation or even Bluetooth - I'm planning on getting a Mr12Volt MMI box so I just want something that will work with that and the existing screen.

Alternatively, I know there are headunits that completely replace the OEM radio. Are there any like that that still use the top screen or top screen location? I suspect that most of these are aimed at cars without iDrive, but maybe there's something someone knows about that'll work for my case.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ohio Enthusiast; 09-06-2024 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 10:27 AM   #2
Ohio Enthusiast
Private
Rep

Had a chance to poke around with ISTA/D, ISTA/P and the various Standard Tools.
ISTA/D shows the CCC_0xA0 module as blue ("Ecu with programming abort").
ISTA/P shows the CCC applications (D_CCC) module as "The programming status is 12".

Looks like some folks had success with Tool32 to run "flash_programmier_status_lesen". However, I'm not sure which .prg file I need - there are multiple CCC and CIC files. How do I know which file is the right for my car?

And finally, more out of curiosity than anything, everyone keeps saying that you must have the MOST ICON cable to fix this. But how did ISTA/P able to mess CIC up without that cable?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 07:37 PM   #3
Ohio Enthusiast
Private
Rep

Another minor update - tried INPA and Tool32, but it looks like my copies don't support CIC. INPA only has CCC modules in the list, and when I try them it complains that it can't find CCC_60/V3.x, finding CICR instead, and CCCA60/V4.x but finds CICR_HD instead.
Tool32 doesn't seem to be working either - it will spin not doing anything after choosing a .prg file, or give some errors messages and close.
Not sure where to get updated versions for Standard Tools, though. Most of the links I find are stale.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2024, 10:49 AM   #4
Ohio Enthusiast
Private
Rep

Continuing my monologue, I realized I wasn't using INPA and Tool32 correctly. I needed "ident" in INPA and needed to run Tool32 as Administrator.
INPA returns A0 CCC with SGBD "CICR_HD".
Using the CICR_HD in Tool32 allows me to run "flash_programmier_status_lesen", which returns status 12 (same as ISTA/P).

This post in this thread (the longest thread on CIC issues like mine) talks about status 7, but I have status 12. Does this matter to how I can fix this?

@Sensible_ looks like you're the expert on coding, could you help me out please?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 07:27 PM   #5
Ohio Enthusiast
Private
Rep

I decided to try to get a used CIC and swap them. Turns out no coding is needed at all for this to work - connected the new CIC and it came to life immediately, no issues at all. The only thing that doesn't work is navigation, which is grayed out. As I understand it, I could code the correct VIN and VO settings, but I think I'm done with trying to code my BMW.

I purchased a used CIC online with the exact same part number as my current one (6512-9-218-332) for around $100. Much cheaper than an ICON cable (and the needed power supply to re-program CIC).

I wonder if I can sell my bricked CIC for parts to somebody - plenty of folks claim to have un-bricked CICs, they could turn a tidy profit on this. If anyone is interested, hit me up.
Appreciate 0