BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

07-07-2021, 06:35 AM   #265
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

A bit retro, but too much Toyota I think.

With Audi repetitive and MB derivative designs, at least BMWs are different.

Wonder if Porsche sees an opportunity here for a Sedan line up?
      07-07-2021, 06:43 AM   #266
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
This looks really good!

I was so worried when the M3/M4 cars were released that this would follow similar a design language.

Love the back and side profile…the front of the M240i looks pretty good too but I'm hoping the M2 front end knocks it out of the park.

So relieved that I have another solid option when the lease is up on my M2.
..Rush..973.50
      07-07-2021, 07:23 AM   #267
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M-Sport (G20)

Like aways it looks great in black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
pyrat15194.50
jphcbpa314.50
      07-07-2021, 07:27 AM   #268
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
I am in the camp that think it looks better than I thought it would. Still really not a fan of the rear, especially the taillights. I'm assuming the M2 will get a nicer, more aggressive front end.

Weight is probably the biggest concern for me. Hopefully the do some big weight savings on the eventual M2 CS or potential CSL model.

The interior looks really good.

I'll be enjoying my F87 for many years.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 07:28 AM   #269
Macky89
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M sport 6MT

No manual transmission? The 2 is supposed to be an enthusiast car. What a shame.
Appreciate 1
pyrat15194.50
      07-07-2021, 07:31 AM   #270
Giom
Private
Rep
Drives: renault fluance

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I agree. Although to be fair, a lot of cars look better in person than in pictures. (Also, BMW needs to hire a better press photographer. All of their press photos are terrible, same for the G8x).

What I'm interested in, since BMW's specifically look better in person than in pictures, is how the design process at Munich transpires. Is it a process of revisions and ultimately a "ah yes, this is it.... and yes, we trust it'll look good in person".
I'd also love to know the inner workings of this process. I do know they review hundreds of sketches which then get reduced to 5 or so scale models and finally one or two full sized clay models. All the while, BMW head of design and board members get their say and changes are made till, I guess, all head honchos are happy.

What I'm pretty sure about, is that the actual designer has very little say in the end. Weather that's a good thing or bad, I simply don't know.

All I know is that the cars that do come out the factory are well thought out, if very misunderstood (at first), but definitely forward looking.
Appreciate 2
wtwo317971.00
pyrat15194.50
      07-07-2021, 07:33 AM   #271
CPTM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, M235i, M2, M4 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
Why does the M240i have M mirrors and my OG M2 doesn't? 😔
I was thinking the same thing! And the interior shits have the 'M' stitching on the seatbelts as well as on the seat piping. Those used to be exclusively 'M' car things. Now they are options on the little brothers. I see a lot more, if it's even possible, M2s before the launch of the actual M2.
      07-07-2021, 07:37 AM   #272
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M-Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giom View Post
It's interesting to note that there is a default reaction to anything new from BMW. Has everyone become mindless clones that can not look at something new and decide for them selves?

Any BMW nut will tell you BMWs look better in real life than in pictures, it's just true. Yet, no body takes this into account when BMW releases a new car. Odd...
I agree. Although to be fair, a lot of cars look better in person than in pictures. (Also, BMW needs to hire a better press photographer. All of their press photos are terrible, same for the G8x).

What I'm interested in, since BMW's specifically look better in person than in pictures, is how the design process at Munich transpires. Is it a process of revisions and ultimately a "ah yes, this is it.... and yes, we trust it'll look good in person".
This is the absolute truth. BMW press photos are atrocious. I'm no professional photographer but the shots I've gotten of my G20 are better than any official pictures from BMW.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317971.00
      07-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #273
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post

I was thinking similar last night. You walk into an MB or Audi dealership and all their models have the same front end treatments. Audi has gone to the extreme sized grill on all their new models. All the AMG models pretty well have the same front end now from CLA to C63 to E63 to GT and there's not much in the way of differentiation from car to car as all the sedans have the same sloping rear end treatment. That can be a good or bad thing based on how much you like the single design they are pushing. With BMW there's a lot of variance so if you don't love one look there's several other looks that you may find enticing.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #274
moviebumm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW UK Configurator
https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/co...?expanded=true

BMW Germany Configurator
https://configure.bmw.de/de_DE/confi...?expanded=true

Last edited by moviebumm; 07-07-2021 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 07:47 AM   #275
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
I think if you want a new sports coupe in 2021+ the only real choice is Nissan 400Z.
LOL get lost with that nonsense. Nobody cares about Nissan anymore as they sold out to rental fleets years ago and not everyone wants to settle for a substandard brand. Have you driven a 370Z? It's a very, very underwhelming experience and the 400Z is the same almost 2 decade old car with a parts bin Infinity engine. I'm sure it will be competent and all but to say it's going to be the only real choice for a 2021+ sports coupe is laughable. Also laughable is saying that car looks good with it's Domo-kun front end and that this new 2 series is ugly. Yes looks are subjective but let's be a little realistic here as the 400Z is certainly no stunner as it's a mishmash design of a 30 year old 300ZX rear end and a Japanese cartoon character front end.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 07-07-2021 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
3RDSECTOR486.50
      07-07-2021, 07:47 AM   #276
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post

I was thinking similar last night. You walk into an MB or Audi dealership and all their models have the same front end treatments. Audi has gone to the extreme sized grill on all their new models. All the AMG models pretty well have the same front end now from CLA to C63 to E63 to GT and there's not much in the way of differentiation from car to car as all the sedans have the same sloping rear end treatment. That can be a good or bad thing based on how much you like the single design they are pushing. With BMW there's a lot of variance so if you don't love one look there's several other looks that you may find enticing.
Correct. And could be seen as an advantage. I think it's a market ready for another luxury maker to penetrate.

I can see a Porsche sedan selling very well.
      07-07-2021, 07:52 AM   #277
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
This article sums it up nicely:

https://www.motor1.com/news/518516/2...ries-revealed/

The proportions and stance of the new 2 Series are very nice, but there are details that let the coupe down. For starters, the M240i's front bumper treatment is oddly sharp and geometrical, at odds with the otherwise conventional styling – the 230i is better composed in this regard. And the taillights of both look misshapen, with angular accent lights swimming in a sea of black housing material. And not everyone loves the bulging fenders, particularly the sharp vertical break behind the front wheel.

The 2022 BMW 2 Series has finally done away with its standard manual transmission, with both 230i and M240i models coming exclusively with an eight-speed Steptronic gearbox. That's a real shame, particularly in a car that's supposed to recall the 2002, a holy grail for performance purity. At least it boasts launch control and a "Sprint" function, which switches to the lowest possible gear when after the driver holds the left shift paddle for one second.

The 2022 BMW 2 Series is a bit larger than the vehicle it replaces. The 230i is 4.3 inches longer, 2.6 inches wider, and a full inch lower, resting on a 107.9-inch wheelbase, up 2 from the outgoing car – the M240i is 3.5 inches longer and 0.1-inch lower, with the other increases porting over. The 230i weighs 3,519 pounds, up from 3,386 in the old model, while the M240i xDrive weighs 3,871 pounds (up 352 from its 2021 equivalent).

Yet in spite of those dimensional increases, the new 2 has a bit less headroom, shoulder room, and legroom for both front and rear passengers than its predecessor. The trunk is likewise cut from 13.1 cubic feet to just 10.0 cubes, so folks trading in an old 2 Series should make sure all their stuff will fit in the new one.

We applaud BMW for giving the new 2 Series some styling restraint, with excellent rear-drive proportions and a subdued front grille. The lack of a manual transmission option is sad and there are definitely some confusing design choices, but that likely won't matter to BMW's current clientele, who seem to appreciate exuberance more than classical styling and an involving driving experience. While it might not be the 2002 redux we all dream of, the 2022 BMW 2 Series should still be a hot seller for the company.

Wait, how did you lose leg room, shoulder room, trunk space, head space....and they made the car 4 inches longer and 2.5 inches wider?
I can guess why.

If you study the proportions against the predecessor, it looks like they have stretched the chassis between A pillar and front wheel. Everything else looks pretty much unchanged. Maybe to move the tunnel forward to get a more aligned driving position. It was one of the criticisms about F2x/87 series by some.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
frosty2k148.00
ntg442888.50
pyrat15194.50
      07-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #278
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
Except it cost $50k after destination with no options and appears to only come with all wheel drive and when equipped with the I6…. (who knows if we will ever see a 240i non xdrive).
Literally the second line of the info sheet says a RWD M240i comes later...
Doesn't mean they make/ship it at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:00 AM   #279
///Pip
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M4 M2C M340i 718Spyder

My M2C just went up in value
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:07 AM   #280
frosty2k
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
If you study the proportions against the predecessor, it looks like they have stretched the chassis between A pillar and front wheel. Everything else looks pretty much unchanged. Maybe to move the tunnel forward to get a more aligned driving position. It was one of the criticisms about F2x/87 series by some.
I hope so. On long drives or on the track the crooked to the outside dead pedal is noticeable. There is no comfortable way to have my foot flat on it. Definitely not a deal breaker.
Appreciate 1
vampire81434.50
      07-07-2021, 08:07 AM   #281
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I can guess why.

Yes, the prestige gap has become proportionally very long. Perhaps they've just slapped the whole front section of the G20 platform, saving costs in the process and resulting in a very cab backward profile, almost Z4-like, which few will complain about
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:11 AM   #282
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post
Purple Scion FRS maybe?

That's not a positive or negative statement btw..

I think it looks decently sharp if you're into the compact/coupe performance-y cars..
Somewhat resembles the Scion FRS was my first take as well.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 1
jninja514.50
      07-07-2021, 08:13 AM   #283
someMoreMplease
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 AY DCT

Proportions are great IMO. But, M mirrors for the Mperformance and apparently power dome hoods on all 2 series cars- that’s weird.
Appreciate 1
pyrat15194.50
      07-07-2021, 08:17 AM   #284
Silber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 M2CS, '19 i8 , '10 135i

I think I know what the design tells us about this car.

Gotta Go Fast.
Attached Images

[On Order] 2023 i4 M50 - Frozen Pure Grey | Fiona Red Merino
2020 M2 CS 6MT - Hockenheim | Black 763M
2019 Vorsteiner i8 - Sophisto | Tera Dalbergia Brown Int. | 3M Satin White Aluminum Wrap
2010 135i 6MT - Black Sapphire | Black Int. | VMR V710 | 1M Bumper | Rieger Diffuser
Appreciate 7
      07-07-2021, 08:24 AM   #285
SFBavarianArea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E82 128i 6Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Yeah that was a fairytale M decided to tell us
They even said in the g80/82 that they serve no purpose besides aesthetics lol. And of course ///marketing
Can you post the link for them saying this please…
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #286
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
Why does the M240i have M mirrors and my OG M2 doesn't? 😔
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTM3 View Post
I was thinking the same thing! And the interior shits have the 'M' stitching on the seatbelts as well as on the seat piping. Those used to be exclusively 'M' car things. Now they are options on the little brothers. I see a lot more, if it's even possible, M2s before the launch of the actual M2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by someMoreMplease View Post
Proportions are great IMO. But, M mirrors for the Mperformance and apparently power dome hoods on all 2 series cars- that’s weird.
Again, it is in the normal order of things that features from the higher-end M vehicles eventually make their way down to the lesser ones, with M Motorsport actual racecars standing at the top end of the spectrum and M Sport production trim at the lower end. As previously released features are trickling down the ladder, all-new features keep being released higher up to feed the improvement cycle. Hence why M mirrors, M grille, M hood with power dome, M carbon roof, M spoiler, M safety belts, now gloss black sideskirts... either already have or eventually will make their way to lower-tier models. This cascading down of M features isn't problematic per se as long as the hardcore M versions higher up the ladder in turn gain new race-derived features that keep them unmistakably sportier and more desirable than the lower-end versions (better aero, more carbon standard, lighter wheels with centerlock nuts, sportier seats, more alcantara, more M stitching, more red details, larger paddle shifters...?).

Having said that, the X3/X4 refresh for instance is perhaps demoting too many M features at a time (M double-slat grille, M grille badge, M color steering wheel...). But BMW is obviously keen on making its M lineup look like a continuum / color gradient / steady stairway, rather than a binary step function with 'real M models' on one side and 'fake M models' on the other: all M-branded models are the same breed, they just get more purebred the higher you go up the ladder (can't find that chart right now, but it's interesting they are now labeling the base M models 'M High Performance' as if to round off the angles and better relate to the 'M Performance' models, just like Competition already relates to CS and CSL):

M Motorsport
M CSL
M CS
M Competition
M High Performance
M Performance
M Sport

XXXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXX
XXXX
XXX