AdnanH35
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
M2 making Helicopter like sound

Took my car out for a spin today. The temps were in the mid to high 50s. I’m on Michelin stock summer tires. When driving 40-50 miles per hour I notice a helicopter like sound coming from the tires as they rotated. There is also slight shaking on my passenger seat as well. I figured maybe the tires needed some time to warm up, but it never went away. I took the car on the highway to test it out at higher speeds. At 80+ mph it shakes much more, but there are times where the shaking stops and it’s a very smooth ride. What could this possibly be?

I’m the only one who drives the m2, didn’t hit any potholes so it can’t be any bent wheels. I also checked all the brake shields for rocks, didn’t find any. They used to get stuck in my previous f80 all the time and make crazy sounds. Also, the m2 doesn’t shake when braking

Updated to add Video

https://youtube.com/shorts/KhUZBsMX9...P7nPxBRU11wL2f
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 08:33 PM   #2
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdnanH35 View Post
Took my car out for a spin today. The temps were in the mid to high 50s. I’m on Michelin stock summer tires. When driving 40-50 miles per hour I notice a helicopter like sound coming from the tires as they rotated. There is also slight shaking on my passenger seat as well. I figured maybe the tires needed some time to warm up, but it never went away. I took the car on the highway to test it out at higher speeds. At 80+ mph it shakes much more, but there are times where the shaking stops and it’s a very smooth ride. What could this possibly be?

I’m the only one who drives the m2, didn’t hit any potholes so it can’t be any bent wheels. I also checked all the brake shields for rocks, didn’t find any. They used to get stuck in my previous f80 all the time and make crazy sounds. Also, the m2 doesn’t shake when braking
Was the car in storage over winter?

Did you recently swap winter wheels for summer wheels?

Have any of the wheels been removed for any reason such as repairing a flat tire, suspension work, mods, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 08:42 PM   #3
AdnanH35
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Was the car in storage over winter?

Did you recently swap winter wheels for summer wheels?

Have any of the wheels been removed for any reason such as repairing a flat tire, suspension work, mods, etc.?
Car wasn’t stored. Driven weekly on days like this. I ended up with a nail in my rear tire 2 weeks after taking delivery. That’s the only time a wheel was taken off to plug it. However, that was months ago. I recently checked the lug nuts on the wheel just to make sure. The car is completely stock
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 08:44 PM   #4
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

blistered sidewall? loose suspension component?
      03-27-2024, 08:53 PM   #5
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Car wasn’t stored. Driven weekly on days like this. I ended up with a nail in my rear tire 2 weeks after taking delivery. That’s the only time a wheel was taken off to plug it. However, that was months ago. I recently checked the lug nuts on the wheel just to make sure. The car is completely stock
Might be a good idea to check the lugs on all of the wheels in case any may have loosened over time. I've had similar experiences over the years thinking it was an issue with a tire or suspension. Went around checking all of the lugs and found several that were ever so slightly loose. It didn't take much to tighten them back up, roughly 1/8 of a turn to torque them down to spec. Afterwards the fluttering noises went completely away.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 09:05 PM   #6
AdnanH35
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
Quote:
Might be a good idea to check the lugs on all of the wheels in case any may have loosened over time. I've had similar experiences over the years thinking it was an issue with a tire or suspension. Went around checking all of the lugs and found several that were ever so slightly loose. It didn't take much to tighten them back up, roughly 1/8 of a turn to torque them down to spec. Afterwards the fluttering noises went completely away.
Just checked every single lug in my garage. Torqued each one to spec. There were a couple in the front that gotten loose over time. Hopefully this is the fix 🤞
Appreciate 1
Tag18158.00
      03-28-2024, 11:19 AM   #7
AdnanH35
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
Quote:
Drove the m2 to work today and the sound was still present. Checked the front passenger tire for nails/screws, and I find one. Tire is not leaking any air at all so that wasn’t my initial thought
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      03-28-2024, 02:41 PM   #8
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Drove the m2 to work today and the sound was still present. Checked the front passenger tire for nails/screws, and I find one. Tire is not leaking any air at all so that wasn’t my initial thought
Well that sucks. Are you going to try to pull it out and hope itt didn’t go through all the way or just take it in?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 03:05 PM   #9
jhstjh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2024 GR Corolla

Garage List
Quote:
Same things happened to me too. The tires are like magnets for pebbles, especially during rainy days. I consistently have to dig them out of the rubber, leaving holes behind but didn't seem to puncture the tires.

Until I ran over a screw 2 days ago...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 08:12 PM   #10
AdnanH35
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
Quote:
Well that sucks. Are you going to try to pull it out and hope itt didn’t go through all the way or just take it in?
It was actually a rock stuck deep in the tire. Noise still present. More trouble shooting tomorrow 🙄
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 10:23 AM   #11
AdnanH35
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
Updated post to add video of the sound. Looking like a trip to the stealership soon
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 09:50 PM   #12
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

My guess would be a wheel/tire issue if it’s vibrating in and out of phase at different speeds - out of balance, bent rim, if spacers one is off center or not flush with the hub, if you ceramic coated the rims and did the hubs then your balance weights could be off as the solvent from ceramic coating can affect their adhesive causing them to “slide” out of position. Honestly shooting from the hip here…drive up and down the street and have a friend take a look for any wheel wobble.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 09:03 AM   #13
Danman5666
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Sounds like a out of round tire or wheel to me. Maybe a weight was thrown off?
Appreciate 0