BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

03-23-2024, 10:19 PM   #45
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
I wonder if they took it from the 6MT.. other MT cars I've owned had it.. then again it wouldn't be the first time BMW did that.
Confirmed this feature exists in the auto. God damn it.
Appreciate 2
BMR.WRLD255.00
ayilar16.00
      03-24-2024, 08:20 AM   #46
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Driving a shitty econobox rental this week.. and it's got brake hold. I just can't get over BMW omitting it. 😣
The M2 -- according to the owners manual -- has some sort of brake (hill) hold.

A paste from my M2's owners manual:

The drive-off assistant supports driving off on uphill grades.

Driving off

1. Hold the vehicle by depressing the brake pedal.

2. Release the brake pedal and drive off quickly. After the brake pedal is released, the vehicle is held in place for approx. 2 seconds.

Think I've felt it operating but I'm pretty good being able to get my M2 (6-speed manual) moving on an uphill grade just by fast footwork.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:27 AM   #47
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post

Driving off

2. Release the brake pedal and drive off quickly. After the brake pedal is released, the vehicle is held in place for approx. 2 seconds.

Think I've felt it operating but I'm pretty good being able to get my M2 (6-speed manual) moving on an uphill grade just by fast footwork.
Yeah, I don't need a hill assist (any more).

The brake hold is for stop/go situations. Traffic, drive-thru, etc. Above all else, that feature is what I will be missing most in my M2.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:45 AM   #48
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
I’m with him. What were you expecting from the coder?
Essentially, my thought was: Eh, you're selling a product and have absolutely no knowledge about it? Nor do you feel like bothering to help clear it up?

What I asked them was if they had info on what the changes were, and what to expect. They've done quite a few of these codings, so it is reasonable that there would be an attempt on their part to say, "how did you like it, and how did it feel"? Or maybe "Hi, can you write a short review for our webpage?"

The Vendor basically told me to search the internet and "good luck". I don't think I've ever seen that attitude in any of my experiences. Does not build confidence. Anyway, I found another Vendor that was cool, so I am going to see about getting a coding set up. If I do, I'll write a TL/Dr review for y'all!
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      03-24-2024, 09:56 AM   #49
toprarnen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRJohn View Post
Anyway, I found another Vendor that was cool, so I am going to see about getting a coding set up. If I do, I'll write a TL/Dr review for y'all!
Perfect! And if you could find out how hard it is to revert, and if it'll show up on code/record as some sort of alteration, that would be great 😁

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 1
LCDRJohn607.50
      03-24-2024, 09:56 AM   #50
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
His product is coding a feature. He knows exactly what he’s selling. The feature is sold by BMW, not him.

Edit: thought of an analogy. It’s like asking the mechanic you paid to install your coilovers if the car is going to ride stiffer or be sharper… he may or may not now. We shouldn’t expect them to know the results of all modifications they make in all cars.
Here is a counterpoint: (because this firm is a coding firm that claims to specialize in this sort of work and claim to "test every product" they install)

Call Carbahn and tell them you want sharper steering and more front grip. I did and they were awesome. They outlined an entire package. I also contacted Turner motorsports with similar questions. All the parts they recommended were not made by them, yet they were able to recommend a full package and explain the pro/cons. Took them only a few minutes of their time.

You see, I worked in high-end Car&Home Audio sales for years. Never made any of the products, but I was able to help hundreds of customers pick the right gear and as part of the install team, also brought the project to fruition. I never once said, "Christ, I didn't make the damn speakers, call them" LOL!

Anyway, if I do the Coding, I will leave a nice review for you all!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 11:02 AM   #51
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here is a counterpoint: (because this firm is a coding firm that claims to specialize in this sort of work and claim to "test every product" they install)

Call Carbahn and tell them you want sharper steering and more front grip. I did and they were awesome. They outlined an entire package. I also contacted Turner motorsports with similar questions. All the parts they recommended were not made by them, yet they were able to recommend a full package and explain the pro/cons. Took them only a few minutes of their time.

You see, I worked in high-end Car&Home Audio sales for years. Never made any of the products, but I was able to help hundreds of customers pick the right gear and as part of the install team, also brought the project to fruition. I never once said, "Christ, I didn't make the damn speakers, call them" LOL!

Anyway, if I do the Coding, I will leave a nice review for you all!
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 01:41 PM   #52
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I get much better highway gas mileage in Sport than Efficient setting, and my steering, chasis, & brakes are almost always in Sport or Sport+.

Changing the brake pads was the very first thing I did.
Quote:
The dust is nuts
I'm gonna have to play with settings on the car for sure. I'm glad you mentioned you're getting better highway mileage with Sport for you. I will likely avoid the efficient setting moving forward completely. And knowing you drive a lot helps confirm that.

I'm gonna have to figure out what car wash/wheel washing solutions will work for me.

I need to find some sort of sweet spot between having a clean car, but not worrying about it after each drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 07:24 PM   #53
BMR.WRLD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2 w/CF Pkg + MP HAS

Quote:
I wonder if they took it from the 6MT.. other MT cars I've owned had it.. then again it wouldn't be the first time BMW did that.
I see you mention this a few times. I have the auto. Only time I use it myself is the drive thru

Edit you already know
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ronin130131000.50
      03-24-2024, 07:30 PM   #54
Baller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW M2 G87  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Auto Hold... Thats an "H"
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:28 PM   #55
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Essentially, my thought was: Eh, you're selling a product and have absolutely no knowledge about it? Nor do you feel like bothering to help clear it up?

What I asked them was if they had info on what the changes were, and what to expect. They've done quite a few of these codings, so it is reasonable that there would be an attempt on their part to say, "how did you like it, and how did it feel"? Or maybe "Hi, can you write a short review for our webpage?"

The Vendor basically told me to search the internet and "good luck". I don't think I've ever seen that attitude in any of my experiences. Does not build confidence. Anyway, I found another Vendor that was cool, so I am going to see about getting a coding set up. If I do, I'll write a TL/Dr review for y'all!
He’s just VO coding in CSL and that change will make all the FDL changes the car needs to realize itself as a CSL. He doesn’t actually know anything other than the chassis type in E-Sys. Use Alex@Alpine if you need any coding done. Coder and a tuner.

Of course Turner is awesome, but they won’t code.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      03-25-2024, 06:30 AM   #56
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:

There was a hill to an Army gate in Germany in the 80s literally almost 45 degrees or so it seemed. It was so steep, you were lying back in your car. Usually you had to use the ebrake along with working the clutch to get through the gate from a dead stop after ID check. I learned how to get through with just the clutch and gas. I knew it wasn’t good for the clutch but it was a rental and I didn’t have a choice. Once I mastered that. No hill or grade was ever a problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 06:31 AM   #57
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Somehow I quoted the wrong post doh.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:38 AM   #58
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 ZB (Manual)

Quote:
Stop, press the brake and if enabled it holds until you touch the accelerator. Drive throughs.. traffic lights, etc.

Common on just about every car I've driven in the last few years, I can't believe BMW doesn't do it.

Maybe I get out of my car with it running more than most people... only applying the brake when off feels ridiculous.
Interesting, I have never had a car that did that. My STi is similar to what BMW does, basically hill assist, if your on any kind of a hill the brake will hold for like 2 extra seconds once you release it so you don't roll backwards while trying to get to the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:44 AM   #59
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post

Driving off

Cant you also use the parking brake as well? It turns off once you apply the gas
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:59 AM   #60
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatellia View Post
Interesting, I have never had a car that did that. My STi is similar to what BMW does, basically hill assist, if your on any kind of a hill the brake will hold for like 2 extra seconds once you release it so you don't roll backwards while trying to get to the clutch.
Golf R starting back in 2018 has it with a MT, 718 Cayman and 911 both do if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Cant you also use the parking brake as well? It turns off once you apply the gas
I could use the parking brake but the Hold function is turned on once (per drive) and persists, vs pulling the p-brake every time I stop.

Not amount of belly aching over this is going to put it in the car, I'm just (a) shocked and (b) disappointed to be losing something I valued so much.
Appreciate 1
Zatellia180.00
      03-25-2024, 08:02 AM   #61
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Golf R starting back in 2018 has it with a MT, 718 Cayman and 911 both do if I'm not mistaken.

I could use the parking brake but the Hold function is turned on once (per drive) and persists, vs pulling the p-brake every time I stop.

Not amount of belly aching over this is going to put it in the car, I'm just (a) shocked and (b) disappointed to be losing something I valued so much.
Oh no I understand, that is interesting to me since I have never had that function. So the automatic has that function, were the other cars that you had autos or manuals? Not that it really matters, I don't think the mechanics of it would be difficult on either system.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 10:06 AM   #62
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh no I understand, that is interesting to me since I have never had that function. So the automatic has that function, were the other cars that you had autos or manuals? Not that it really matters, I don't think the mechanics of it would be difficult on either system.
I own a Honda CR-V that has it, auto. Every car I drive with any regularity is MT.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:46 PM   #63
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller View Post
Auto Hold... Thats an "H"
"I wonder if this button turns my car into a 4-speed manual."
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:41 AM   #64
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

Still not over the lack of auto-hold. Criminal.

Exhaust is good but, Sport+ all the time, every time.

Car feels a more manageable size already, still getting used to parking it, etc.

The traction control/slip is really aggressive (read: safe).
I haven't dialed in how to use the M buttons to make the car more tail-happy, I need to spend some time on it.
Appreciate 0