E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How important are the bump stops

10-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
Beau168
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335I Convertible

How important are the bump stops

Hey everyone, relatively new to the forum, with a e93.

I've noticed upon replacing the wheels that the bump stops on the shocks/struts are crumbly and basically non existent.

I've done about 3000 miles so far and no problems, but I'm wondering if theres a potential to do damage? Without the bump stops what limits suspension travel, the shocks? I'm also on sports suspension

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Bump stops are there to soften the end of the travel so its not a harsh bottom out at the end of the stroke/travel.

Your car won't catch fire without them but its very much so a good idea to have them. It will be uncomfortable and may shorten the life of your shocks without it (depending on your terrain of course).

Last edited by neilvan; 10-30-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I attempted to DIY a lowering spring perch on my own. It was a frustrating experience that I bailed mid way through, in my haste to put my front strut together I forgot to install my bump stop (driver side). I drove without one for about a few months and absolutely cringed every-time I hit a large bump that bottomed out the travel. I was convinced I was doing permanent alignment damage every time it happen. Not long after I my front shock completely failed and started to leak heavily. I was convinced it was because of the bottoming out damage, maybe it was coincidence but I doubt it.
Appreciate 1
max_330i343.50
      10-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
I attempted to DIY a lowering spring perch on my own. It was a frustrating experience that I bailed mid way through, in my haste to put my front strut together I forgot to install my bump stop (driver side). I drove without one for about a few months and absolutely cringed every-time I hit a large bump that bottomed out the travel. I was convinced I was doing permanent alignment damage every time it happen. Not long after I my front shock completely failed and started to leak heavily. I was convinced it was because of the bottoming out damage, maybe it was coincidence but I doubt it.
Yikes. I destroyed a shock over a rain-filled pothole last winter, and when I removed it, I saw the bump stop had disintegrated to dust even before that hard impact. You are probably right that the lack of bump stop is rough on the car.
      10-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau168 View Post
I've noticed upon replacing the wheels that the bump stops on the shocks/struts are crumbly and basically non existent. I've done about 3000 miles so far and no problems, but I'm wondering if theres a potential to do damage? Without the bump stops what limits suspension travel, the shocks?
Ever heard about the complaints of "Pothole Explosion"? You only need the Strut Bumper to prevent the metal-to-metal "Explosion" that results when you hit a pothole. It can't do either your strut or your dental work any good to have that "Explosion."

Strut Bumpers are a LOT cheaper than new struts: $10.30 ea. for Febi Bilstein & $20.45 ea. for Genuine BMW:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/FB-31336777636
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...er-31336777636

Those are BMW part# 31336777636 which is correct for my 328xi E91. You should check RealOEM.com to get the correct part# for your E93 335i.

Of course the lower profile tire/larger dia wheel you have, the MORE severe the rebound, as well as potential damage to the wheel by the pothole.

ANYONE have a good, easy method on how to inspect those Bumpers (I assume just jack the body on that corner, let the wheel hang down & use a mechanic's mirror & light if necessary to see up the strut shaft under the dust cover)?

George
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:56 AM   #6
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Reviving this thread as mine are completely dust. Has anyone successfully gotten a lasting solution by cutting the bumper and and sealing the cut with foam glue or another flexible adhesive safe for foam? Given I put 1000 mostly highway miles on my car a year, removing the strut solely for the purpose of replacing the bumper seems like an excessive amount of labor... not to mention the accompanying alignment thereafter.
Appreciate 0