E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > LCI paddle shifter 2012 e93 base paddle shifter retrofit

08-28-2024, 09:46 PM   #1
Azzai80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 335i

LCI paddle shifter 2012 e93 base

Hey what’s up folks? I have been reading and watching many videos on converting my 2012 (LCI?) e93 335i. My car is pretty much the base model. It does have the cool transmission that you can shift in ds mode. My understanding is I can install a special harness at the shifter that I run up to the steering column. From there I replace 2 wires with the harness that connects to back of steering wheel in the column. This is consistent with pretty much every video. What I am worried about is getting the right used steering wheel with the right paddle shifters. I would prefer the LCI version which has geer up on right and geer down on left. I think the older sport models use ssg meaning both paddles shift up and down depending on push or pull. I don’t want that.

Here is where I am not sure what to do? Which steering wheel and paddle combo is needed? Burger site says I need to solder if I am using LCI. I can’t buy a steering wheel with the LCI paddles already correct? Confused. I have LCI car. And I haven’t even asked about the control differences. Anyone here do this retrofit with similar setup as me?

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...esift-retrofit

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 09:35 AM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e81

your lci 335 have no paddle shifter ?
      08-29-2024, 02:28 PM   #3
Azzai80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
your lci 335 have no paddle shifter ?
It does not. Doesn’t LCI just indicate the year really? I know it’s the face lift version
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 03:34 PM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

The 335 and Coupe or Cabrio was considered top version of the model and these AT versions usually had paddle shifters
Can you share the VIN in PM to check your option list ?
Azzai8014.50
      08-29-2024, 04:02 PM   #5
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
The 335 and Coupe or Cabrio was considered top version of the model and these AT versions usually had paddle shifters
If non sport package, it doesn’t have paddle shifters. No external oil cooler, either.
Appreciate 2
      08-29-2024, 04:13 PM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
If non sport package, it doesn’t have paddle shifters. No external oil cooler, either.
non-sport 335 convertible with paddles - https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rwg...5i-convertible
here is another rule should work, top motor and sport body (coupe or cabrio)
lets check VIN

Last edited by ptpending; 08-29-2024 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
Azzai8014.50
      08-29-2024, 04:36 PM   #7
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
non-sport 335 convertible with paddles - https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rwg...5i-convertible
lets check VIN
That’s a sport package car!
Different in the US vs. Europe. Over in the US, early ‘11s had the option of either the sport package or M Sport package. Main tell is the seats.
Appreciate 1
Azzai8014.50
      08-29-2024, 05:03 PM   #8
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That’s a sport package car!
Different in the US vs. Europe. Over in the US, early ‘11s had the option of either the sport package or M Sport package. Main tell is the seats.
lets check TS VIN for options
Azzai8014.50
      08-29-2024, 06:10 PM   #9
Azzai80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sent to you via PM. You can see my car has a diff front bumper and also rear bumper has no defuser. I added m3 style skirts.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 06:15 PM   #10
Azzai80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
non-sport 335 convertible with paddles - https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rwgePOlZ/2011-bmw-335i-convertible
lets check VIN
Cool car. Has my front bumper too. I don’t have the shifters though or the cool wheels. I had 17” on this car before I put the 19”. Its stock suspension right now.

Here is the steering wheel and shifter I have.

Can I replace with this? I would also want to reuse my airbag. I want to enable the paddles on a new wheel. I think the link below is a LCI M Sport steering wheel based on the paddles being negative left and positive right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26651303850...mis&media=COPY

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 08:23 PM   #11
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzai80 View Post
Cool car. Has my front bumper too. I don’t have the shifters though or the cool wheels. I had 17” on this car before I put the 19”. Its stock suspension right now.

Here is the steering wheel and shifter I have.

Can I replace with this? I would also want to reuse my airbag. I want to enable the paddles on a new wheel. I think the link below is a LCI M Sport steering wheel based on the paddles being negative left and positive right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26651303850...mis&media=COPY
Yes you can! And having 17s is also a dead giveaway you don’t have a sport pack car.

The DIY for you should be pretty straightforward. Same airbag, yes.
Appreciate 1
Azzai8014.50
      08-29-2024, 11:20 PM   #12
Azzai80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes you can! And having 17s is also a dead giveaway you don’t have a sport pack car.

The DIY for you should be pretty straightforward. Same airbag, yes.
Indeed I could have started with that haha. I may have talked my way into the thumbs up on the wife to do this mod myself. I just want to be clear on the LCI shifter mod. Everything I’m seeing says some soldering needs to happen on the board of the paddles. I’m hoping for an alternative to this but would do it if this is how it’s done for LCI version paddles. I need left to be down shift and right to be up. My gamer brain won’t shift for shit if I don’t have the shifting like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 01:18 AM   #13
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Indeed I could have started with that haha. I may have talked my way into the thumbs up on the wife to do this mod myself. I just want to be clear on the LCI shifter mod. Everything I’m seeing says some soldering needs to happen on the board of the paddles. I’m hoping for an alternative to this but would do it if this is how it’s done for LCI version paddles. I need left to be down shift and right to be up. My gamer brain won’t shift for shit if I don’t have the shifting like that.
Well, i've checked the factory options
Your car haven't steering wheel with paddles
I was not right in that case.
So you need to get wheel with 2010+ paddles or remove resistors from pre 2010 paddles and wire them correctly.
Also if you want that paddles worked without sport mode, you need to reflash/recode gearbox ECU and probably JBE ECU.
Azzai8014.50
      08-30-2024, 01:47 AM   #14
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

you can, but do you see that it has upper leather part worn ?

the options you need to code are
2XA or 7XA
      08-30-2024, 12:21 PM   #15
Azzai80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Well, i've checked the factory options
Your car haven't steering wheel with paddles
I was not right in that case.
So you need to get wheel with 2010+ paddles or remove resistors from pre 2010 paddles and wire them correctly.
Also if you want that paddles worked without sport mode, you need to reflash/recode gearbox ECU and probably JBE ECU.
Ahhhh so when you said adjust resisters on pre 2010 paddles to work I think it clicked on why that’s being done. So with LCI m sport steering wheel I won’t need to mess with resisters? Just the wireing? I’m not sure which harness I need to use with LCI. I’ve seen some out there that sell a harness for the shifter to wheel and then one for inside the wheel for the paddles.

I don’t need or want them to work outside of sport mode
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 12:23 PM   #16
Azzai80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
you can, but do you see that it has upper leather part worn ?

the options you need to code are
2XA or 7XA
Yes I know this wheel isn’t perfect. It’s more affordable though

I didn’t think I’d have to code anything for the car system. Hmmmm. Can you explain or link me to literature on this?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 03:22 PM   #17
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes I know this wheel isn’t perfect. It’s more affordable though

I didn’t think I’d have to code anything for the car system. Hmmmm. Can you explain or link me to literature on this?
well, i've read the Burtuning manual
if you want to do this without coding, and you want LCI paddles, then you have to remove resistors from LCI paddles
then you get BMS harness and use it
paddles probably will be working only in sport mode of gearbox selector
if you want that paddles worked always, you need to code the gearbox and don't remove resistors and wire paddles like they were from factory
Azzai8014.50
      08-30-2024, 11:05 PM   #18
Azzai80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
if you want to do this without coding, and you want LCI paddles, then you have to remove resistors from LCI paddles
if you want that paddles worked always, you need to code the gearbox and don't remove resistors and wire paddles like they were from factory
Thank you for your knowledge. I had the same conclusion although I was hoping I wouldn’t need to mess with resistors. I’ve seen the manual on how to adjust the resistors it’s just a little intimidating to me to do that despite me thinking I could pull it off.

Where is the easy button
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #19
Azzai80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Look what I have!

I got a knock off harness that looks exactly like Burgertuning. I'm concerned a little bit about the buttons as the part numbers do not appear to match their website tutorial. Why should buttons matter? They look outwardly the same as the ones on my current wheel.

M-sport steering wheel is from a 2011 335i LCI. My car is a 2012 335i e93 LCI. It seems I will have to do the soldering.. Anyone confirm with this setup that's my only choice? I think I finally found an explanation somewhere out there that the original setup from factory would include wiring to the gear box, etc..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      Today, 02:09 AM   #20
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

the switches for paddles simply have a wire passthru functionality, i.e. wire from paddles connected to switches and then same wire goes to slip ring within switches cable
follow the burgertuning instruction, and if it will not work at all, then consider to check paddles