04-17-2024, 10:11 PM   #1
DutchBoysRacing
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2013 Mini GP

CSL Sway Bars

Hey all,

I have a 2024 M2 Carbon package that I track pretty heavily in Southern California.

Current mods:
- 19x11 square apex wheels / 305/30/19 Supercar3R
- Millwood Camber Plates
- No rear seats

My current findings are that even while using the super sticky 100tw tire on track is that even with the Millwood camber plates maxed out to ~3.3 degrees front / 2.5 rear. Looking at my tire wear it seems that I am using about 50-60% of the front tire, and about 70% of the rear tread due to how soft everything is.

I'm hoping the CSL Sway bars can add some rigidity to the front and rear end but will report back after 5/12 as thats my next track event at Streets of Willows Springs.
      04-21-2024, 03:54 AM   #2
maxwell smart
missed it by that much
Rep
Drives: g87 m2 / x3m

Are you using a tire pyrometer to check the settings you are using .
I'm at -2.5 front and -1.8 rear camber and my readings and wear are looking pretty good. The amount of grip I had last weekend with cup 2 R tires was insane.
What pressure are you running in the tires at the end of a session.
I just ruined a set of cup 2 R tires letting them get to 39 psi , and corded them in the middle of the tread, not at the edge.

Last edited by maxwell smart; 04-21-2024 at 04:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 04:08 AM   #3
maxwell smart
missed it by that much
Rep

Also i wanted to ask how your experience is going without the rear seat .
last year I pulled mine out and did six track days , but I found the vehicle had a severe case of wind buffet in the interior so bad people in the pits would ask what was up. you could hear the buffeting throughout the whole property, it was pretty crazy, i think it was slowing the car down. I reinstalled the seat in the fall and left it in and up to start this season and found the buffet had disappeared and the vehicle is way easier to drive on course.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:10 PM   #4
DutchBoysRacing
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell smart View Post
Are you using a tire pyrometer to check the settings you are using .
I'm at -2.5 front and -1.8 rear camber and my readings and wear are looking pretty good. The amount of grip I had last weekend with cup 2 R tires was insane.
What pressure are you running in the tires at the end of a session.
I just ruined a set of cup 2 R tires letting them get to 39 psi , and corded them in the middle of the tread, not at the edge.
I am not using a pyrometer. I am usually starting at 25 cold and getting to 32-34 hot. The wear is specifically from not enough camber or the suspension being too soft. Its over the outside edge so I could increase camber by adding SPL camber arms, trust arms, etc or try to stiffen the front and rear as much as possible.

The no rear seats sucks. As you've mentioned, due to the severe wind buffetting. It rattles my brain apart and really sucks, but since I'm mostly doing time trials I take all the weight savings I can. I haven't noticed the car handling "worse" with the buffeting my brain is probably getting the "blender treatment" on track.

I've also noticed its specifically bad with certain conditions. Some track days its not bad at all, and some days its almost unbearable.
      04-23-2024, 04:11 AM   #5
maxwell smart
missed it by that much
Rep

Are you sure your not running too low pressure. in the Michelin bulletin I found the cup tires are not supposed to be run lower than 29psi or case damage can occur. regardless of manufacturer I wonder if 25psi is letting the tire roll onto the sidewall.
check out a pyrometer, there's a good one made in America that's inexpensive and will pay dividends in the information that can be gained.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 10:20 AM   #6
LeggoRacing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Following as I’m about to be in the same boat. Vorshlag camber plates and 19x11 with 3r
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 04:32 AM   #7
maxwell smart
missed it by that much
Rep

Hello Leggo ,
I would look for a technical bulletin from goodyear with the parameters they would like that tire to be run at. That should help you make initial decisions on where to start with your setup. Then when your at the track use the pyrometer to make sure your using all the tread for maximum grip.
Im using millway plates and have them adjusted to 12mm inward to produce -2.5 front , it still has good road manners, and my tire wear at the track looks good.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 09:39 PM   #8
DutchBoysRacing
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell smart View Post
Are you sure your not running too low pressure. in the Michelin bulletin I found the cup tires are not supposed to be run lower than 29psi or case damage can occur. regardless of manufacturer I wonder if 25psi is letting the tire roll onto the sidewall.
check out a pyrometer, there's a good one made in America that's inexpensive and will pay dividends in the information that can be gained.
Yeah I've run S9M/S8M slicks,RR, A055, A7, R7, CRS, RE71RS all around 25 PSI cold (depending on the weight of the car). I believe hoosier a7/r7 documentation states that their pressures should be ~40 hot (which no one does and is insane).

I don't have the luxury of tire warmers so i need to start them so low or they will get too hot on track. I've found after two laps (avoiding the rumbles) I get them to about 30-32 hot and can keep them there +/- 2 degrees. I've started the SuperCar3R at 25 PSI and have gotten them to 36 pounds hot if I don't have some cool down laps and push too hard.

The wear im getting def isnt from starting too low as I do significantly more laps at 32 psi than 25.