bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

05-09-2023, 02:23 PM   #23
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
TRIPLE QX SynPlus Engine Oil 0W-30 BMW
That's a new one to me, but recently there have been a whole bunch of oils that hit the market with the LL-12fe cert...used to be only a handful did. To answer your question....nope never heard of it.
keep in mind the following oils all have a ll-12fe cert, but make sure you find the specific one that has the LL-12fe cert specifically stated, they will be 0-30 oils.
Ones I have found:
(in addition to the Triple OX mentioned)
Motul Specific ll-12fe
Ravenol
Boost (Germany)
Revolution by Kennol (France)
Wolf
BMW
Valvoline Sun-Power
Fuchs(Titan)
Mobil

Kroon (Netherlands)
Mannol
liqui Moly
and there are a few more, got tired of listing.

Again, i will repeat, most of those listed above put out a variety of oils, so you must make sure the specific oil is a ll-12fe cert, all the above do have ONE that is ll-12fe cert or approval. These generally are the AECA C2 spec oils and will say Lll-12fe approval. Now some oils will say under "recommendations" BMW ll-12fe but I don't know it that is the same as actually meeting the LL-12fe specs and approval?

Now the LL-17fe cert is much harder to find only about a handful of em Those are 0w20 oils..

Also 0w-16 is now out there, and some (very few) cars spec it. Oil companies are working on 0w-12 and 0w-8. There will be engines in the future designed to run these super lite oils...closer tolerances etc...all in the name of meeting emissions and mileage requirements.

Last edited by danallxt; 05-09-2023 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: spelling, deleted Castrol Edge
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2023, 02:34 PM   #24
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
That's a new one to me, but recently there have been a whole bunch of oils that hit the market with the LL-12fe cert...used to be only a handful did. To answer your question....nope never heard of it.
keep in mind the following oils all have a ll-12fe cert, but make sure you find the specific one that has the LL-12fe cert specifically stated, they will be 0-30 oils.
Ones I have found:
(in addition to the Triple OX mentioned)
Motul Specific ll-12fe
Ravenol
Boost (Germany)
Revolution by Kennol (France)
Wolf
BMW
Valvoline Sun-Power
Fuchs(Titan)
Mobil
Castrol Edge
Kroon (Netherlands)
Mannol
liqui Moly
and there are a few more, got tired of listing.

Again, i will repeat, most of those listed above put out a variety of oils, so you must make sure the specific oil is a ll-12fe cert, all the above do have ONE that is ll-12fe cert or approval. These generally are the AECA C2 spec oils and will say Lll-12fe approval. Now some oils will say under "recommendations" BMW ll-12fe but I don't know it that is the same as actually meeting the LL-12fe specs and approval?

Now the LL-17fe cert is much harder to find only about a handful of em Those are 0w20 oils..

Also 0w-16 is now out there, and some (very few) cars spec it. Oil companies are working on 0w-12 and 0w-8. There will be engines in the future designed to run these super lite oils...closer tolerances etc...all in the name of meeting emissions and mileage requirements.

Thanks for this. However, one oil stand out here and that’s Castrol Edge. According to the UK website (hence the thread topic) it is not certified per the M240i requirements.
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united...html#tab_0w-30
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 02:39 PM   #25
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

You are correct, i was just going to edit that and make the correction, ya beat me. Castrol edge does have a LL-17fe oil (0W-20) but NOT a LL-12fe oil.
Appreciate 1
Pentland1725.00