bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-04-2023, 12:31 AM   #1
DonLP
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m240i

Interior Rattle Noise

Has anyone else been having rattling noises in their interior?

I noticed sometimes when I have music playing at about 65% volume and when accelerating quickly. I notice the sound coming from behind the center screen. I think it's coming from that cheese grater looking plastic part on the dash. I have seen that people say the door for the cup holders may be making noise. But I hear the noise coming from more on top of the dash.

Any insight or solutions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 09:35 AM   #2
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

There was a thread about this a while back. Worth searching for as it included images. There is an issue with that speaker cover and certain frequencies that occur with loud music or the piped in engine audio.

Summing up the solution: pop the speaker grill out and add some felt tape to prevent plastic on plastic contact
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 10:15 AM   #3
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

I had items in the center console that were rattling. I was convinced it was the dash, so start there to ensure you aren't chasing a phantom.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 01:47 AM   #4
DonLP
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
There was a thread about this a while back. Worth searching for as it included images. There is an issue with that speaker cover and certain frequencies that occur with loud music or the piped in engine audio.

Summing up the solution: pop the speaker grill out and add some felt tape to prevent plastic on plastic contact
Oh okay thanks! Ill look into that.
Heres a video of the noise incase anyone else is curious or has the same issue.

HTML Code:
https://youtube.com/shorts/6E079T65gPg?si=4wb9raMadeTEzQo9
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 11:24 AM   #5
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

I added some padding to my speaker grille as prescribed by the mentioned thread. There seems to be some fear of breaking clips or the grille which is reasonable, but from my experience the grille very flexible and there is little risk of damage once you get the first clip popped out. Use a plastic trim removal tool, one that is thin and reasonably wide. Gently work the tool between the dash and the grille until you can slightly move the grille up. I like to first remove the clip that is around "7 o'clock" viewing the grille from the top from the driver's seat. Use the tool to pry up the grille and with just a little leverage you can usually pop that clip out. Where you see the grille is no longer flexible when pulling up, that's usually where a retaining clip is. After the first retainer is popped up, I like to get my fingers between the grille and dash and just run my fingers around the perimeter of the grille, the slight upward pressure will pop the remaining clips one by one, they come up relatively easy.

As for taping, I used a felt type tape (hockey tape) on the plastic tabs at 12 o-clock and 6 o-clock on the dash, and taped the plastic pieces that meet those points on the grille itself. I also noticed a clicking sound when squeezing the metal retainer clips closed on the grille, so I used some needle nose pliers to pull them apart just enough that the metal would not contact when you squeeze the clip together, so no ticking noises.

I think your noise issue is quite likely from the speaker grille since you note it happens when playing music at high volume. My rattle/ticking noises are only when I have music off, loud volumes do not induce any rattles or sounds for me. It's possible since I have pre-emptively fixed the problem, that's why.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 02:57 AM   #6
DonLP
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
I added some padding to my speaker grille as prescribed by the mentioned thread. There seems to be some fear of breaking clips or the grille which is reasonable, but from my experience the grille very flexible and there is little risk of damage once you get the first clip popped out. Use a plastic trim removal tool, one that is thin and reasonably wide. Gently work the tool between the dash and the grille until you can slightly move the grille up. I like to first remove the clip that is around "7 o'clock" viewing the grille from the top from the driver's seat. Use the tool to pry up the grille and with just a little leverage you can usually pop that clip out. Where you see the grille is no longer flexible when pulling up, that's usually where a retaining clip is. After the first retainer is popped up, I like to get my fingers between the grille and dash and just run my fingers around the perimeter of the grille, the slight upward pressure will pop the remaining clips one by one, they come up relatively easy.

As for taping, I used a felt type tape (hockey tape) on the plastic tabs at 12 o-clock and 6 o-clock on the dash, and taped the plastic pieces that meet those points on the grille itself. I also noticed a clicking sound when squeezing the metal retainer clips closed on the grille, so I used some needle nose pliers to pull them apart just enough that the metal would not contact when you squeeze the clip together, so no ticking noises.

I think your noise issue is quite likely from the speaker grille since you note it happens when playing music at high volume. My rattle/ticking noises are only when I have music off, loud volumes do not induce any rattles or sounds for me. It's possible since I have pre-emptively fixed the problem, that's why.
Thank you so much for your detalied reply.
I need to make some time to do that. I appreciate your time to my post!
Appreciate 0