BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-09-2022, 10:47 AM   #1
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

For those who took delivery with no dealer wash prep...

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
What was the condition of your exterior?

I took delivery yesterday and did a quick wash when I got home. Afterwards, I went over the car with a handheld swirl light, and continuing to recheck at various times of day / varying lighting conditions.

So far, I have only found a couple holograms from adhesive and a few small bits of adhesive on the paint and on the edge of one wheel.

There are a few random very superficial hairline scratches that 95% of people would never see / care about. I was able to almost fully remove a couple with only a microfiber and Sonax Perfect Finish, so I am sure I will be able to quickly correct them with the RO polisher.

I have the M performance (non-Shadowline) trim and there are a good number of swirl marks and water spots in the piano black I will need to polish out.

I will be doing a full detail this weekend, spending as much of it as is necessary to get the finish to my obsessive level of satisfaction.

Last edited by CarsAndGuitars; 08-09-2022 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 2023 BMW M3CX

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
I was able to take delivery and drive my BG home with all of the stickers still on it (exterior/interior). You got to love those family owned dealers, definitely seem to respect the customer more (have dealt, and now officially done with the others).

I took the stickers off when I got home, with the help of my 3 y/o daughter of course! I wasn't able to get a wash in for about 3 days. I did a wash, dry/inspection, then I put a nice coat of Mother's Brazilian Wax and actually only noticed a tiny scratch below the right fog light, about the size of a fingernail (may have been). I didn't see any swirl marks, and I was actually surprised how great the gloss black looked.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 11:18 AM   #3
Autobahn SoCal
Performance Driving Coach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (G87)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
What was the condition of your exterior?

I took delivery yesterday and did a quick wash when I got home. Afterwards, I went over the car with a handheld swirl light, and continuing to recheck at various times of day / varying lighting conditions.

So far, I have only found a couple holograms from adhesive and a few small bits of adhesive on the paint and on the edge of one wheel.

There are a few random very superficial hairline scratches that 95% of people would never see / care about. I was able to almost fully remove a couple with only a microfiber and Menzerna 2500, so I am sure I will be able to quickly correct them with the RO polisher.

I have the M performance (non-Shadowline) trim and there are a good number of swirl marks and water spots in the piano black I will need to polish out.

I will be doing a full detail this weekend, spending as much of it as is necessary to get the finish to my obsessive level of satisfaction.
Most of that is actually done at the port and that's where you'll get scratches and swirls because they could care less. I made my dealership paint correct mine before I took delivery it was full of swirl marks.

https://www.youtube.com/autobahnsocal
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 12:23 PM   #4
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn SoCal View Post
Most of that is actually done at the port and that's where you'll get scratches and swirls because they could care less. I made my dealership paint correct mine before I took delivery it was full of swirl marks.
I can really only see them with a swirl light, but I know they are there.

The rocker panels are going to be a bitch to upkeep.

And I forgot to mention, I did the baggie test, and it badly needs to be decontaminated / clayed.
      08-09-2022, 04:29 PM   #5
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

I was going to have a no dealer prep and take this to another location, but I found out they had a real detail shop working for them, had the detaill shop( not a dealer run one, but an actualy 3rd party company that has off site locations.) The exterior black gloss trim is bad, scratch magnet, I have the dealer replacing the grill and 1 door trim, as it had some serious deep scratches (damage) but this stuff scratches just looking at it. I'm actually disaapointed how bad it looks, Just washing it is going to leave scratches. If I had this done offsite, I wouldn't have won the battle on getting the grill replaced, they would have blamed me.

The only way you are going to get a good inspection, is to have the dealer wash it. Make sure they get the staining out of the black without scratching it to death.

I've had the car for a week, love the car, but pissed about the crap black plastic.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 05:09 PM   #6
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Unless each piece of piano black was individually wrapped like American singles cheese, I would not be surprised if some of the defects were introduced during assembly or even during transport and staging of the trim pieces in the plant.

Fortunately mine isn't "bad" unless I hit it with a light. I will try some polish on it where the rocker wraps under the car and a lower piece of grill trim. If that corrects it I will continue wherever needed.

Last edited by CarsAndGuitars; 08-09-2022 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #7
ZeusHorkios
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebarb View Post
I was going to have a no dealer prep and take this to another location, but I found out they had a real detail shop working for them, had the detaill shop( not a dealer run one, but an actualy 3rd party company that has off site locations.) The exterior black gloss trim is bad, scratch magnet, I have the dealer replacing the grill and 1 door trim, as it had some serious deep scratches (damage) but this stuff scratches just looking at it. I'm actually disaapointed how bad it looks, Just washing it is going to leave scratches. If I had this done offsite, I wouldn't have won the battle on getting the grill replaced, they would have blamed me.

The only way you are going to get a good inspection, is to have the dealer wash it. Make sure they get the staining out of the black without scratching it to death.

I've had the car for a week, love the car, but pissed about the crap black plastic.
If you don't mind me asking, which detailer did you use? I am in MA/NH area and trying to get some names/recommendations of detailers in the area.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 07:52 AM   #8
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusHorkios View Post
If you don't mind me asking, which detailer did you use? I am in MA/NH area and trying to get some names/recommendations of detailers in the area.
I was going to use Auto Nuvo, not near NH, but I went through the dealer, Dealerdetailerserivce which is part of AutoSpa in Weymouth.

The coating and PFF was fine.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #9
harcos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 240i xdrive

Does anyone have any info on whether it is possible to repaint the black side skirts in body color?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 09:42 AM   #10
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcos View Post
Does anyone have any info on whether it is possible to repaint the black side skirts in body color?
yes, it's very possible.

I assume people have done it already
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 11:17 AM   #11
ZeusHorkios
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebarb View Post
I was going to use Auto Nuvo, not near NH, but I went through the dealer, Dealerdetailerserivce which is part of AutoSpa in Weymouth.

The coating and PFF was fine.
Yeah, Auto Nuvo are too far for me.

I'll ask my dealership and see if they work with any detailers in the area. Automotive Elegance and Unique Car Care are two detailers that are on the top of my list.
Appreciate 0