Rep
Drives: 2020 m340

Garage List
2020 bmw m340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rspade View Post
Yea I found a dealer near me that will give me the RS3 for sticker but a 8-12 month wait. And yea it's about a 7k difference between the 2 but audi will give more for my 340 trade then what bmw is so they say but I'll know for sure once I drive up there
Is your trade gonna be worth the same amount in 8-12 months? Or are you selling now? Because the market is def not coming back to normal anytime soon, and my car dropped about $2.5k in value across the board at every appraisal route in the course of about 6 weeks
I won't know officially until I go up there. I would assume bc I'm still making payments on the 340 would stay about the same but never know. I would probably just give it to them now and sacrifice driving my girls crv for a while. Bmw only wnated to give 45k and audi said would give anywhere to 48-51 for it. And I only owe 36 now. Just waiting 12 months. Idk
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 08:08 AM   #68
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Quote:
I won't know officially until I go up there. I would assume bc I'm still making payments on the 340 would stay about the same but never know. I would probably just give it to them now and sacrifice driving my girls crv for a while. Bmw only wnated to give 45k and audi said would give anywhere to 48-51 for it. And I only owe 36 now. Just waiting 12 months. Idk
My dealer was selling at MSRP but *kinda* bait and switched me on the trade, so make sure you get a number after they see in person and get it in writing to go off of

I also used to be a huge audi guy, my first new car was a S3 a few years back, then I traded for a S6 after a bit. But personally, I feel like audi has gone downhill aesthetically starting with the B9.5 gen, which is right around the exact time BMW started improving (first BMW I ever liked was the G20 3 series). That said, the RS3 is special, so you really cant go wrong between the RS3 and M240. I do think the lack of AWD on the coming M2 I think will make the M240 slightly more special as well, but RS3s are wonderful cars
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 08:17 AM   #69
Rspade
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 bmw m340  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
My dealer was selling at MSRP but *kinda* bait and switched me on the trade, so make sure you get a number after they see in person and get it in writing to go off of

I also used to be a huge audi guy, my first new car was a S3 a few years back, then I traded for a S6 after a bit. But personally, I feel like audi has gone downhill aesthetically starting with the B9.5 gen, which is right around the exact time BMW started improving (first BMW I ever liked was the G20 3 series). That said, the RS3 is special, so you really cant go wrong between the RS3 and M240. I do think the lack of AWD on the coming M2 I think will make the M240 slightly more special as well, but RS3s are wonderful cars
Yea same I had audi s4 then I switched to the m340. But yeah your right I will get in writing but if they give me the number I want I will just give them car now and not have to worry about my car losing value and make sure they put in writing that not marking up the RS3 when comes in. I'm prolly just being picky bc the m240 is a great car but I can't say I love what they did w the bolted on iPad screen n loss of the gear shifter to a lever.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 08:57 AM   #70
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm prolly just being picky bc the m240 is a great car but I can't say I love what they did w the bolted on iPad screen n loss of the gear shifter to a lever.
Sir i am on the exact same page as you. Way long story short, I was happy in a base Macan, then a month ago my friend wanted to test drive SUVs and we test drove a SQ5, and I forgot what it was like to have REAL power. It reignited my love for the RS3, and I went to youtube to see about the new one, and the first video was a "RS3 vs M240i". After seeing the performance and the styling that I LOVED for the first time on a BMW, I had to have it haha.

I put in a custom order and got in line for an allocation, but after seeing it would get the screen and lose the shifter, I cancelled and called about 30 BMW dealers looking for a new '22. Ended up finding one 5 hours from home, went and bought it and love the thing. I will reemphasize, I don't think you could be disappointed in a RS3 or M240.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 09:01 AM   #71
Rspade
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 bmw m340  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm prolly just being picky bc the m240 is a great car but I can't say I love what they did w the bolted on iPad screen n loss of the gear shifter to a lever.
Sir i am on the exact same page as you. Way long story short, I was happy in a base Macan, then a month ago my friend wanted to test drive SUVs and we test drove a SQ5, and I forgot what it was like to have REAL power. It reignited my love for the RS3, and I went to youtube to see about the new one, and the first video was a "RS3 vs M240i". After seeing the performance and the styling that I LOVED for the first time on a BMW, I had to have it haha.

I put in a custom order and got in line for an allocation, but after seeing it would get the screen and lose the shifter, I cancelled and called about 30 BMW dealers looking for a new '22. Ended up finding one 5 hours from home, went and bought it and love the thing. I will reemphasize, I don't think you could be disappointed in a RS3 or M240.
Funny same exact thing i did. Was looking for a 22 but gave up nothing was close. If I didn't have a trade I would of had a 22 shipped but too much of a hassle. So now I'm just going back n forth on a tuff decision between the 2 cars. One audi dealer said they can have rs3 to me by feb at the latest but a 25k markup. Yeah Umm no thanks.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #72
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

I didn't want to get screwed on my trade in when I ordered my M240, so I simply sold my car to Carmax for the maximum market value and used the cash as a down payment on the new car.

It worked out great because I got the exact appraisal value I wanted, simplified the sales experience at BMW and didn't give the dealership any opportunities for leverage with my sale. Not having to stress over the trade in value made ordering the new car fun and stress free.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 09:23 AM   #73
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundernight View Post
I didn't want to get screwed on my trade in when I ordered my M240, so I simply sold my car to Carmax for the maximum market value and used the cash as a down payment on the new car.

It worked out great because I got the exact appraisal value I wanted, simplified the sales experience at BMW and didn't give the dealership any opportunities for leverage with my sale. Not having to stress over the trade in value made ordering the new car fun and stress free.
i got as much as the vroom offer for mine, and $1k less than carvana, but after the tax trade in credit, the trade in to BMW was a few $k better of a deal than selling to the other guys. i was just annoyed because they told me one number, and said they made a mistake and had to go for less. i got the right value for it, just wish they had been upfront
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #74
MattM240eye
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:

With you 100% I was very happy when my 2022 came in, especially when I saw the changes to the 2023. It's not all bad, and in a non sport car, it would be fine, but I feel like you lose a bit of that feeling with the massive screen and light switch shifter.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 09:42 AM   #75
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Now that the RWD M240 is available, is anyone planning on trading in their X-drive G42?

I'm curious to drive the RWD version and see how they compare..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 11:17 AM   #76
Autobahn SoCal
Performance Driving Coach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (G87)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftKing860 View Post
I'm a happy my23 buyer. Really glad my February order turned into a my23 aug order with all the updated fixings.

Do My22 owners feel like 2019 supra owners?
Nope.. Glad I got the MY22. I am not a fan of the giant iPad trend in cars and happy to have the older dash with physical buttons. Honestly though, I have yet to interact with ID8, but the reviews I've seen of the iX makes the new interface look like a nightmare.

The only new feature I like is the return of adaptive cruise control. This was deleted on my build due to shortage.
ID8 is a nightmare. Good choice.

https://www.youtube.com/autobahnsocal
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 01:25 PM   #77
KJ10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn SoCal View Post
Do you have much experience using it? Genuine question as my 240i will have ID8 as it is an early 2023 car. I personally didn't care if I got ID7 vs ID8 but I see almost every thread now with people bashing ID8 lol. Is the system/software actually bad or is it more the massive screen?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 01:33 PM   #78
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
Quote:
Do you have much experience using it? Genuine question as my 240i will have ID8 as it is an early 2023 car. I personally didn't care if I got ID7 vs ID8 but I see almost every thread now with people bashing ID8 lol. Is the system/software actually bad or is it more the massive screen?
It's just all bad. The software, the screen all of it. My friend had an i4 and it's just awful. It's really narrow physically to the point it looks like a cheap aftermarket mod and the layouts don't make sense with too many sub menus.
Definitely the reason so many people hate it.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 01:35 PM   #79
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Now that the RWD M240 is available, is anyone planning on trading in their X-drive G42?

I'm curious to drive the RWD version and see how they compare..
Nope. Only save 121 lbs which isn't much and xDrive is quicker off the line and more stable when needed at high speeds around corners.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #80
KJ10
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's just all bad. The software, the screen all of it. My friend had an i4 and it's just awful. It's really narrow physically to the point it looks like a cheap aftermarket mod and the layouts don't make sense with too many sub menus.
Well I had to ask as I believe the reason many people hate it is the look and they have no experience with the software. I won't argue with subjective looks but I care more about how the actual system works not how it looks. I guess I will post my personal experience when my car arrives. Hopefully soon!
Appreciate 3
TJZ67201815.50
eddj457.00
      08-05-2022, 01:37 PM   #81
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Well I had to ask as I believe the reason many people hate it is the look and they have no experience with the software. I won't argue with subjective looks but I care more about how the actual system works not how it looks. I guess I will post my personal experience when my car arrives. Hopefully soon!
If they fix the software "maybe" it will be better?

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 01:40 PM   #82
KJ10
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I cannot stand delayed touch screens so hopefully if that is a current problem it will be updated and fixed before my car arrives.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #83
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I cannot stand delayed touch screens so hopefully if that is a current problem it will be updated and fixed before my car arrives.
Oh it's delayed alright lol

Fingers crossed it gets fixed before your delivery

Appreciate 1
KJ10474.00
      08-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #84
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven’t used it either, but my understanding is that the software architecture is less intuitive and not as well thought out (likely rushed). This is seen specifically with the climate controls and vehicle settings. Although our cars have synchronized climate settings based on specific exterior temperature conditions, the ability to change the settings while driving is not as important. That said, if you are driving solo and want to make adjustments, you no longer have the physical buttons or mechanical feedback of the button press. To me, that actually introduces safety risks as a driver will likely be more distracted swiping their fingers (like the home screen of your smartphone) attempting to find the correct page. Since there is no taptic feedback, or distinguishing features (it’s a blank screen) you essentially have to take your eyes off the road to find it. This isn’t as much of a problem in a self driving car, but we aren’t quite there yet.

Beyond that, this is really my only complaint with iDrive 8. It’s very possible that iD8 will become more user friendly and intuitive with OTA software updates, but will have to see what happens. I remember when I first jumped into a BMW with iDrive, it took a really long time to understand how it works. The jump from iD7 to iD8 is definitely less extreme, but technological updates always tend to have a learning curve associated with it before it feels normalized.

I’m picking up my M240 from service today. Hoping to have a chance to check it iD8 to experience it firsthand. I’ll report back and let you know how it is.

Don’t let other peoples feedback let you influence your own decision on a MY23 though. You should really try it out for yourself as well. You might actually like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #85
KJ10
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I haven’t used it either, but my understanding is that the software architecture is less intuitive and not as well thought out (likely rushed). This is seen specifically with the climate controls and vehicle settings. Although our cars have synchronized climate settings based on specific exterior temperature conditions, the ability to change the settings while driving is not as important. That said, if you are driving solo and want to make adjustments, you no longer have the physical buttons or mechanical feedback of the button press. To me, that actually introduces safety risks as a driver will likely be more distracted swiping their fingers (like the home screen of your smartphone) attempting to find the correct page. Since there is no taptic feedback, or distinguishing features (it’s a blank screen) you essentially have to take your eyes off the road to find it. This isn’t as much of a problem in a self driving car, but we aren’t quite there yet.

Beyond that, this is really my only complaint with iDrive 8. It’s very possible that iD8 will become more user friendly and intuitive with OTA software updates, but will have to see what happens. I remember when I first jumped into a BMW with iDrive, it took a really long time to understand how it works. The jump from iD7 to iD8 is definitely less extreme, but technological updates always tend to have a learning curve associated with it before it feels normalized.

I’m picking up my M240 from service today. Hoping to have a chance to check it iD8 to experience it firsthand. I’ll report back and let you know how it is.

Don’t let other peoples feedback let you influence your own decision on a MY23 though. You should really try it out for yourself as well. You might actually like it.
I appreciate the feedback and I am in no way discouraged by what others are saying before I get my own hands on it. I am still beyond excited for the car as people seem addicted to the way it drives and that is most important for me. I'll look for your response if you are able to test it out in person!
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 02:27 PM   #86
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep

I used iDrive 8 in the iX and the i4 and I had no issues with it. It took about 5 minutes to find everything I need and then it was plenty intuitive. I didn't notice any crazy delays in the menus or anything like that. I didn't find the screen too narrow for my liking.
Appreciate 5
KJ10474.00
eddj457.00
      08-05-2022, 02:46 PM   #87
ZeusHorkios
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
I used iDrive 8 in the iX and the i4 and I had no issues with it. It took about 5 minutes to find everything I need and then it was plenty intuitive. I didn't notice any crazy delays in the menus or anything like that. I didn't find the screen too narrow for my liking.
My experience was similar to OriginalFake.

I used iDrive 8 in a i4 last month and did not notice any crazy delay. Apart from using the touch screen, I also used the iDrive controller (the circular knob in the center console) and tried navigating the menus using that as well. It was responsive and intuitive.
Every new piece of tech has a learning curve and depends on the individual.

P.S. Here's a post on the universal forum about the new update to iD8: https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s....php?t=1942844
Appreciate 2
KJ10474.00
      08-05-2022, 03:35 PM   #88
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

So now it looks like the 4 series is officially the only 2023 model you can get (out of the 2,3,4 series) that still has the shift knob and ID7 gauge cluster.
Appreciate 0