home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-05-2022, 04:44 PM   #89
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

MY 22 here;
Even with hard buttons, I have always found BMWs climate control systems a bit idiosyncratic and fussy. If the ID8 is more intuitive albeit less direct, it might still be a win

Rarely touch the stick, paddle shifters work fine with practice.

Get the ZTK package. More $, and maybe will need a set of snows, but well worth the looks and performance bump.

All appearance details fade when the mighty B58 is in Sport + !
DrJLag420799.00
Zaxer240.50
Bill_R24.00
eddj457.00
      08-05-2022, 07:25 PM   #90
yuvalt
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i, 09 Miata, 70 Corvett

Is the extra shadow line new for MY23? I don't recall it being an option in 22. And I think I had all the options picked for my MY22.. (except the extra cooling).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 07:28 PM   #91
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn SoCal View Post
It's just all bad. The software, the screen all of it. My friend had an i4 and it's just awful. It's really narrow physically to the point it looks like a cheap aftermarket mod and the layouts don't make sense with too many sub menus.
Definitely the reason so many people hate it.
It's a cost saver. Tesla started this BS and the rich idiots fell for it because they equate screens as techie.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 07:29 PM   #92
Autobahn SoCal
Performance Driving Coach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (G87)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn SoCal View Post
It's just all bad. The software, the screen all of it. My friend had an i4 and it's just awful. It's really narrow physically to the point it looks like a cheap aftermarket mod and the layouts don't make sense with too many sub menus.
Definitely the reason so many people hate it.
It's a cost saver. Tesla started this BS and the rich idiots fell for it because they equate screens as techie.
Exactly. And the Tesla screens are garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/autobahnsocal
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 08:01 PM   #93
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvalt View Post
Is the extra shadow line new for MY23? I don't recall it being an option in 22. And I think I had all the options picked for my MY22.. (except the extra cooling).
No, it was always an option. Replaces all the grey bits with black, plus different headlights.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 08:15 PM   #94
yuvalt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
Quote:
No, it was always an option. Replaces all the grey bits with black, plus different headlights.
I'm talking about the extended shadow line. I don't recall my car looking like that at the rear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 08:54 PM   #95
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
I'm talking about the extended shadow line. I don't recall my car looking like that at the rear.
You could get it on a 2022. The naming is confusing.

"Standard" - silver, 230i only
"Shadowline" - cerium grey, standard on M240i
"Extended shadowline" - replaces the grey with black, upgrade

The difference in 2023 is that it looks like you can now get just the trim for $300. Before it was trim + shadowline lights for $400, but that required the premium package.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 07:50 AM   #96
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Things I've noticed:

- Rhombicle looks great, don't have to get Chinese carbon fiber
- You can get the 893M without the track package (or upcharge?!!)
- You can get just the shadowline for $300 (without lights)
- Red calipers are ONLY available with the full $400 shadowline (sucks)
- Driver lumbar support is now an option (better be for $50K...)
- Price increase is not much (surprising due to inflation)
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2022, 08:16 AM   #97
Zaxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Things I've noticed:

- Rhombicle looks great, don't have to get Chinese carbon fiber
- You can get the 893M without the track package (or upcharge?!!)
- You can get just the shadowline for $300 (without lights)
- Red calipers are ONLY available with the full $400 shadowline (sucks)
- Driver lumbar support is now an option (better be for $50K...)
- Price increase is not much (surprising due to inflation)
I wish my CA knew the 893m was available as a stand alone no cost item...I ordered the 797m as I didn't want the ZTK. The premium package actually decreased $800 vs 2022...which was a nice surprise...
Appreciate 1
KJ10474.00
      08-06-2022, 09:01 AM   #98
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Okay I’m old enough to be called old school. When I ordered my 22 BMW M240i I deleted the digital dash and opted for dials. Yes, a real dial-like tachometer and speedometer. Why, because I want to “feel” like I’m getting into a sporty car that is actually faster to 60 MPH than a $90,000 Porsche Cayman GTS 4, 6-cylinder with a manual. And a car that is also faster to 60 MPH than M2s from just a few years ago. I don’t want to feel like I’m getting in an SUV.

So BMW made the M240i “2-door” coupe blisteringly fast, offers high performance cooling, brakes and tires, added the awesome BMW real-wheel biased AWD system for unrivaled grip and a suspension that can be stiffened on command for added performance handling and added sporty exhaust sounds but is now going to make the same interior changes for the M240i that are going into their SUVs. Does that make sense? Those interior changes will not add to but only diminish the fantastic “sporty feel” that BMW has “expertly honed” and “purposely” applied to the M240i.

Only an accountant would be happy with that decision.

ID8 might “work fine”. But a Toyota Camry also “works fine” enough to get me to the 7-Eleven. I didn’t by the M240i just to have it work. I bought it because of the way it makes me “feel”.

All just my opinion of course.

Bob
Appreciate 3
KmtbS42.00
RoGo330i130.50
Hap147.00
      08-06-2022, 09:16 AM   #99
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
Okay I’m old enough to be called old school. When I ordered my 22 BMW M240i I deleted the digital dash and opted for dials. Yes, a real dial-like tachometer and speedometer. Why, because I want to “feel” like I’m getting into a sporty car that is actually faster to 60 MPH than a $90,000 Porsche Cayman GTS 4, 6-cylinder with a manual. And a car that is also faster to 60 MPH than M2s from just a few years ago. I don’t want to feel like I’m getting in an SUV.

So BMW made the M240i “2-door” coupe blisteringly fast, offers high performance cooling, brakes and tires, added the awesome BMW real-wheel biased AWD system for unrivaled grip and a suspension that can be stiffened on command for added performance handling and added sporty exhaust sounds but is now going to make the same interior changes for the M240i that are going into their SUVs. Does that make sense? Those interior changes will not add to but only diminish the fantastic “sporty feel” that BMW has “expertly honed” and “purposely” applied to the M240i.

ID8 might “work fine”. But a Toyota Camry also “works fine” enough to get me to the 7-Eleven. I didn’t by the M240i just to have it work. I bought it because of the way it makes me “feel”.

Bob
The gauges/display have absolutely no impact on how the car drives. I'm so tired of this critique. If it makes you feel like you're getting in an SUV, that's on you.
Appreciate 6
TJZ67201815.50
DrJLag420799.00
Zaxer240.50
eddj457.00
      08-06-2022, 09:22 AM   #100
jakek66
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M440i GC / '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
Well I had to ask as I believe the reason many people hate it is the look and they have no experience with the software. I won't argue with subjective looks but I care more about how the actual system works not how it looks. I guess I will post my personal experience when my car arrives. Hopefully soon!
I’ve got a ‘22 M440i GC with ID7 and ordering a ‘23 230i XDrive for my wife. Originally we wanted a ‘22 to be more familiar as she had a ‘20 330i before but ended up knowing XDrive would be more important. I’m happy because I can use both to see if iDrive8 is bad as people make it or better than ID7. I love ID7, had 4 cars with it, but it’s time for a change. If I end up liking it, I’ll probably get a ‘23 M340 with it next.
Appreciate 3
KJ10474.00
      08-06-2022, 09:27 AM   #101
yuvalt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Okay I'm old enough to be called old school. When I ordered my 22 BMW M240i I deleted the digital dash and opted for dials. Yes, a real dial-like tachometer and speedometer. Why, because I want to "feel" like I'm getting into a sporty car that is actually faster to 60 MPH than a $90,000 Porsche Cayman GTS 4, 6-cylinder with a manual. And a car that is also faster to 60 MPH than M2s from just a few years ago. I don't want to feel like I'm getting in an SUV.

So BMW made the M240i "2-door" coupe blisteringly fast, offers high performance cooling, brakes and tires, added the awesome BMW real-wheel biased AWD system for unrivaled grip and a suspension that can be stiffened on command for added performance handling and added sporty exhaust sounds but is now going to make the same interior changes for the M240i that are going into their SUVs. Does that make sense? Those interior changes will not add to but only diminish the fantastic "sporty feel" that BMW has "expertly honed" and "purposely" applied to the M240i.

ID8 might "work fine". But a Toyota Camry also "works fine" enough to get me to the 7-Eleven. I didn't by the M240i just to have it work. I bought it because of the way it makes me "feel".

Bob
I think you're a minority here and most people by far would not opt for analog. For their business to be profitable in mass market, they need to build things at scale across model line.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2022, 09:31 AM   #102
jakek66
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M440i GC / '23 M240i

Quote:

Bob
Most people spending $55-60k on a sports coupe option in Heads Up Display anyway so the dials mean nothing. Plus BMW just made the dials to look like the digital gauges anyway, it’s not like Audi who make a really nice manual dials on their S-Line models.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      08-06-2022, 10:00 AM   #103
azuki
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i

lot more people arguing about idrive8.. lol...reminds me of when apple removed the headphone jack and home button
Appreciate 1
KJ10474.00
      08-06-2022, 10:18 AM   #104
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Quote:

Bob
I’m with ya. And I think a lot of ppl that are saying “gauges don’t matter gosh” are rationalizing. iD8 is garish, and a cost saving mechanism, anyone who thinks BMW did this for “customer benefit” is fooling themselves. A lot of people that don’t already have orders in process are considering other options, and rightfully so
Appreciate 1
P_Chris153.50
      08-06-2022, 10:23 AM   #105
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuki View Post
lot more people arguing about idrive8.. lol...reminds me of when apple removed the headphone jack and home button
I would say it’s closer to when Apple removed HDMI ports and SD card slots from the MacBook. Bluetooth was sort of known to be the future when the headphone jack came out of iPhones, but there was no reason apart from aesthetics/cost to remove HDMI/SD card/other ports. And here Apple is a generation later… brining them back

There is no benefit to moving certain physical buttons to a screen… well apart from aesthetics/cost, of course
Appreciate 1
P_Chris153.50
      08-06-2022, 10:35 AM   #106
KJ10
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
Quote:

Bob
I’m with ya. And I think a lot of ppl that are saying “gauges don’t matter gosh” are rationalizing. iD8 is garish, and a cost saving mechanism, anyone who thinks BMW did this for “customer benefit” is fooling themselves. A lot of people that don’t already have orders in process are considering other options, and rightfully so
I think it's clear BMW did it to simplify its process and to save cost. Majority of BMW buyers will not care about gauges or screen in the end so BMW will be fine.
Appreciate 4
      08-06-2022, 11:39 AM   #107
ZeusHorkios
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

I respect all opinions and I will keep repeating that infotainment preferences are all relative. No one here is right or wrong.

I find it interesting that staunch defenders of iD7 in this thread have stooped to using words like "idiots", "fools", etc whereas the other side is polite and simply saying they don't mind the iD8 and have bought this car for the way it drives and not because it has a new infotainment system.

I think I can confidently say that most G42 buyers here are buying this car for the way it handles and drives. Analog or digital dials has literally no bearing to how the car does that. I am more after the butterflies in the stomach and the clenching of the butt feeling when pushing this car to my limits.

My daily driver is a 7 year old car that has analog dials, no Apple carplay/Android auto, a CD player, 3.5mm jack and all the buttons you can imagine. The buttons I press the most are the Front/Back defroster and the media on/off which I think are still available on the newer systems.
Appreciate 4
KJ10474.00
EXE462097.00
azuki327.00
      08-06-2022, 12:16 PM   #108
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
The gauges/display have absolutely no impact on how the car drives. I'm so tired of this critique. If it makes you feel like you're getting in an SUV, that's on you.
The added exhaust sound doesn’t impact how the car performs either. So why did BMW add it? They added it because it has an “emotional impact” on the driving experience.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 12:20 PM   #109
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think you're a minority here and most people by far would not opt for analog. For their business to be profitable in mass market, they need to build things at scale across model line.
BMW is large enough so that there is plenty of scale to change all the SUV interiors and leave the sporty coupes and sedans alone.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 12:30 PM   #110
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
I think it's clear BMW did it to simplify its process and to save cost. Majority of BMW buyers will not care about gauges or screen in the end so BMW will be fine.
On an SUV I wouldn’t care either. On a sport coupe that BMW just added a layer of outrageous performance to, I don’t think that particular BMW demographic will be as pleased as a BMW SUV buyer.

The performance buyer is pickier and whatever vehicle or brand is purchased there has to be an strong emotional component or connection to the car. Car buying is part emotional and part practical. “Sports/performance car" buying is a 100% emotional experience.

People don’t but Corvettes or Porsches because they are practical. They buy them because of the emotional way those cars make them feel.

There’s a reason BMW added a sporty sounding exhaust to the M240i. They didn’t do it because it was practical they did it because of its “emotional impact” on the driver.

ID8 lessens the sports car feel and diminishes the emotional experience for the purchaser/driver.

Bob
Appreciate 0