BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-06-2022, 12:34 PM   #111
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post

ID8 lessens the sports car feel and diminishes the emotional experience for the purchaser/driver.

Bob
I just don’t get this, at all.

ID 7 = two screens separated by some plastic bits.

ID8 = 1 big screen with no plastic bits dividing it in half.

How does that alter the sports car feel? Or “the emotional experience” lol

I totally understand the criticism of how they implemented it, and I agree. But all this other stuff is kind of laughable at this point.
Appreciate 8
KJ10475.50
EXE462097.00
Zaxer240.50
SVR514.50
      08-06-2022, 12:36 PM   #112
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
On an SUV I wouldn’t care either. On a sport coupe that BMW just added a layer of outrageous performance to, I don’t think that particular BMW demographic will be as pleased as a BMW SUV buyer.

The performance buyer is pickier and whatever vehicle or brand is purchased there has to be an strong emotional component or connection to the car. Car buying is part emotional and part practical. “Sports/performance car" buying is a 100% emotional experience.

People don’t but Corvettes or Porsches because they are practical. They buy them because of the emotional way those cars make them feel.

There’s a reason BMW added a sporty sounding exhaust to the M240i. They didn’t do it because it was practical they did it because of its “emotional impact” on the driver.

ID8 lessens the sports car feel and diminishes the emotional experience for the purchaser/driver.

Bob
For you, maybe it does. It doesn't do any of that for me. When driving aggressively, you're not even looking at it.
Appreciate 4
KJ10475.50
Zaxer240.50
      08-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #113
Lenny33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

I moved from a 22 to a 23. Trying to remain open to the positives with the new system-more things on screen at once, better graphics, modern looking.

With that being said I was excited for 7 as well.

I think helpful for people to remain open to new possibility. Hell, I just want my damn car at some point lol
Appreciate 2
KJ10475.50
Hap147.00
      08-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #114
vegtro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Things I've noticed:

- Rhombicle looks great, don't have to get Chinese carbon fiber
- You can get the 893M without the track package (or upcharge?!!)
- You can get just the shadowline for $300 (without lights)
- Red calipers are ONLY available with the full $400 shadowline (sucks)
- Driver lumbar support is now an option (better be for $50K...)
- Price increase is not much (surprising due to inflation)
Talked to my CA regarding the 893M rims and he said that they weren't able to add it to the system as a stand alone without the ZTK package.
Appreciate 3
Zaxer240.50
      08-06-2022, 02:12 PM   #115
KJ10
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Blank

Totally agree, Bob. My point was the vast majority of BMW buyers will not care. Of course buyers of The M240 will care as well as most buyers of M cars but those are not the vehicles that are going to be selling the biggest numbers for BMW. People will adapt or find something else they prefer.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 02:14 PM   #116
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooly View Post
Looks like this may confirm the the "M" colored seatbelts are a goner. Didn't see them on the Canadian order guide so we might be SOL in North America.
Only reason i can think of as to why they were available in Canada for MY22 and not MY23 is because the G87 is being released this year.They probably want to make them an exclusive feature for the new M2.Maybe they will be back as an option for MY24.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 02:18 PM   #117
tooly
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 m240i (ordered), 18 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooly View Post
Looks like this may confirm the the "M" colored seatbelts are a goner. Didn't see them on the Canadian order guide so we might be SOL in North America.
Only reason i can think of as to why they were available in Canada for MY22 and not MY23 is because the G87 is being released this year.They probably want to make them an exclusive feature for the new M2.Maybe they will be back as an option for MY24.
Pretty reasonable explanation
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 08:41 PM   #118
Zaxer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The added exhaust sound doesn’t impact how the car performs either. So why did BMW add it? They added it because it has an “emotional impact” on the driving experience.

Bob
Sound pumped in to enhance the engine/exhaust is a bit disingenuous to my experience. I wish BMW would include an active sound "OFF" option (the best we get on G42 is "reduced"). Will ideally code it out once Bimmer Code releases our platform. In the end, I can live with the gauge cluster (yes I do have issues with the aesthetics and loss of dedicated climate controls), with ID8 (remember the sheer vitriol when iDrive was launched?) as long as I'm grinning ear to ear after making a brisk run down a back road. Guess that's all the emotional impact I need...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 08:54 PM   #119
Zaxer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegtro View Post
Talked to my CA regarding the 893M rims and he said that they weren't able to add it to the system as a stand alone without the ZTK package.
thanks for that...now I don't feel like I missed out.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 09:19 PM   #120
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post

Also higher resolution, faster processor, much higher resale value, etc.

It's like comparing an iPhone 4 vs. 6.

The only ones complaining seem to be boomers that don't like (understand) tech. Reminds me of my parents that can't figure out the nav on their $100K Benz and prefer driving their 15 year old MDX instead.
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2022, 10:10 PM   #121
Bill_R
Rep
Drives: Ford F-250, X3 M40i (Soon)

I'm buying this car for two reasons. 1 - it's a BMW. 2 - the way it performs and handles. While I would prefer the look of ID7, I could care less if it comes with ID7 or ID8. Most of the time I'm only looking at the HUD anyways. For me, it's not going to change the driving experience as I'm hugging the corners on the backroads of the Ozark's with an ear to ear grin!
Appreciate 3
Zaxer240.50
Hap147.00
      08-06-2022, 10:13 PM   #122
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

I'm not a boomer and am a techy nerd and I still want id7. It looks more thought out and not rushed/last-minute like id8. And by "id8", this isn't about the software--i would actually love to have id8 with the id7 dash integration. Since that isn't possible, I'm ok with missing out on a few tech improvements for a nicer looking/composed dash.

Granted, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a MY23 with id8.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 10:37 PM   #123
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g42 (ordered)

Quote:
Quote:

The only ones complaining seem to be boomers that don't like (understand) tech. Reminds me of my parents that can't figure out the nav on their $100K Benz and prefer driving their 15 year old MDX instead.
We've seen the ID8 haters exaggerate a bit, but the level of exaggeration in this post tops everything I've read so far lol.

1. Higher resolution is dependent on the "faster" processor because ID8 running efficiently will require more computing power. That doesn't mean ID8 will actually run "faster" than ID7. It comes down to the coding and resource efficiency when dealing with computing. A non boomer should understand this.

2. Much higher resale value is laughable. This isn't an LCI. In 3-4 years a '22 G42 with a proper stick and dash integrated cockpit will be much more scarce, and likely garner similar resale at the very least compared to '23's or even '24's. Now if we get an LCI with an ID8 nicely integrated into the dash among other updates- all 1st gen g42's will take a hit in resale.

3. Iphone 4 vs Iphone 6? Choosing these 2 obsolete devices for your comparison actually sounds like a boomer's metaphor quite frankly. Iphone 8 to Iphone X would've made more sense with the move to face id and home button removal lol

4. My favorite perhaps, is the reference to parents who prefer to drive a 15 year old MDX over a 100k MB. It was here when I knew your post must be a troll. Nonetheless I enjoyed replying back.

Im a Techie, I work in Tech, and I love cars. Im all for better graphics and higher resolution, but it's the dash integration that bugs me most. I do have a deposit on a G87 and my issue is not with the software that is ID8 or the bigger curved screen - I think it might actually be pretty cool - its the way its slapped on the dash I dislike. Not a deal killer though. I'm willing to give it a shot.
Appreciate 1
P_Chris153.50
      08-06-2022, 11:04 PM   #124
azuki
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusHorkios View Post
I respect all opinions and I will keep repeating that infotainment preferences are all relative. No one here is right or wrong.

I find it interesting that staunch defenders of iD7 in this thread have stooped to using words like "idiots", "fools", etc whereas the other side is polite and simply saying they don't mind the iD8 and have bought this car for the way it drives and not because it has a new infotainment system.
truth! we should just acknowledge people's '22 purchases and '23 purchases and keep it respectful. (whisper noise: "idrive8 > idrive7") lmao
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2022, 01:12 AM   #125
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Quote:

In fairness I don’t think it’s a “screen vs no screens” debate that plainly. For example the infotainment in the new Cadillacs (at least the Escalade) is so baller, and it’s tons of screens. BMWs implementation just isn’t the best

That said after having my ‘22 for a few weeks, I would still have gotten a ‘23 if that was my only option since the driving part is fun enough to offset any of the annoyance of the infotainment
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 07:20 AM   #126
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
The gauges/display have absolutely no impact on how the car drives. I'm so tired of this critique. If it makes you feel like you're getting in an SUV, that's on you.
this! a sport's car is "made" of its engine performance, handling in the corners + exterior looks .

PS: here is a very short review of the IDrive 8 performance/screen/font quality ( not the curved screen's appearance) and it seems like a plus over idrive 7's. The idrive section starts around min 5:30. Enjoy!

Last edited by eddj; 08-07-2022 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 3
      08-07-2022, 08:09 AM   #127
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rspade View Post
Agree. Do not want 23 model. I'll take a 22. But thinking of backing out of my order and going with audi RS3 now. On the fence. Not thrilled with the changes on the 23 model
here is very fresh newly released drag & roll battle between very similarly tuned M240i vs RS3 so maybe it can help you a bit deciding between the two...

the timings M240i is getting are mental ( and on paper is faster than RS3 with a cheaper price tag and better availability):
1. 0-60 in 3.0s
2. 1/4 mile in 11.3s
3. 100 km/h - 200 km/h in just 8.29s

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #128
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
I just don’t get this, at all.

How does that alter the sports car feel? Or “the emotional experience” lol

I totally understand the criticism of how they implemented it, and I agree. But all this other stuff is kind of laughable at this point.
Here is just one example of “many” from other brands of sports cars. The image is of a 2022 Porsche 911 GT3

What do you see? 2 screens separated by plastic bits. However, Porsche has retained the dials. And in true form, Porsche has shown the tachometer large and in the center. They haven’t gone to one large screen with a video game-like display that is bolted onto the dashboard like an “afterthought”. It would no doubt be “cheaper” to do that “across all” Porsche models. If the Porsche 911 buyer doesn’t care, why has Porsche retained the current look? If actual performance is all that matters, why has Porsche retained the current look?

If performance is all that matters, why does the Ferrari SF90 and many other sports/performance cars have a similar Porsche-like layout?

I don’t know if people want to define the BMW M240i as a sports or performance car. But BMW has made the M240i faster than a Porsche Cayman GT3 manual and faster than BMW’s M2 from just a few years ago. So that screams performance car to me, “and not SUV”.

[B]HERE is a link to Motormouth Canada and a video titled: the 5 worst trends in the automotive industry. Start a the 6-minute mark and see how they feel about eliminating shifters and buttons and moving to more screen functionality. BMW is specifically called out in the video.

These same discussions and points are going on in other sporty BMW model forums as well. Some seem okay. Some are holding their nose and buying because of other BMW attributes, like performance. And some are shopping elsewhere. It’s the last group that should be a concern to BMW, if it’s actually a third, well, that’s a lot.

Bob
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 12:10 PM   #129
Rspade
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340

Garage List
2020 bmw m340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rspade View Post
Agree. Do not want 23 model. I'll take a 22. But thinking of backing out of my order and going with audi RS3 now. On the fence. Not thrilled with the changes on the 23 model
here is very fresh newly released drag & roll battle between very similarly tuned M240i vs RS3 so maybe it can help you a bit deciding between the two...

the timings M240i is getting are mental ( and on paper is faster than RS3 with a cheaper price tag and better availability):
1. 0-60 in 3.0s
2. 1/4 mile in 11.3s
3. 100 km/h - 200 km/h in just 8.29s

Appreciate that. Yea I did a lot of comparing between the two. Both cars aren't far off in my opinion. Just feel I would be getting more of what I like in the audi. It all falls on if audi gives me what the telling me for my trade on my 2020 m340. Audi said will give me 49 and bmw only wants to give me 45k. However audi is 6-8 months out and the bmw will be in within 2 months or sooner. As of now I would be leaning towards m240 bc I would have to give audi the 340 now bc if I don't I know 8 months from now they will give me a lot less for trade
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 01:49 PM   #130
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

So the 3 series from 2019-2023 has now seen 3 different dash/screen setups lol.
2019 was original gauges
2020-2022 was the Digital Gauge Cluster
2023 we have the 1 round screen

Who's got bets on whats next? lol
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #131
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflacarguy View Post
We've seen the ID8 haters exaggerate a bit, but the level of exaggeration in this post tops everything I've read so far lol.

1. Higher resolution is dependent on the "faster" processor because ID8 running efficiently will require more computing power. That doesn't mean ID8 will actually run "faster" than ID7. It comes down to the coding and resource efficiency when dealing with computing. A non boomer should understand this.
Has to have a faster processor based on all the videos posted. The only valid complaint aside from aesthetics I've heard is the AC controls. I almost never use that and you can have it locked on the bottom of the screen it seems.

Quote:

2. Much higher resale value is laughable. This isn't an LCI. In 3-4 years a '22 G42 with a proper stick and dash integrated cockpit will be much more scarce, and likely garner similar resale at the very least compared to '23's or even '24's. Now if we get an LCI with an ID8 nicely integrated into the dash among other updates- all 1st gen g42's will take a hit in resale.
It absolutely will. Younger people like big curved screens. Out with the lads last night and all but 1 preferred the new setup

Quote:

3. Iphone 4 vs Iphone 6? Choosing these 2 obsolete devices for your comparison actually sounds like a boomer's metaphor quite frankly. Iphone 8 to Iphone X would've made more sense with the move to face id and home button removal lol
My last iPhone was a 4 when they were the best option, so that's where I naturally started the comparison. Have only used androids since (starting with the S2 Skyrocket the first to have LTE on ATT) as I actually care about tech performance. No tech dudes actually use iPhones, they are for instagram gals.

Quote:

4. My favorite perhaps, is the reference to parents who prefer to drive a 15 year old MDX over a 100k MB. It was here when I knew your post must be a troll. Nonetheless I enjoyed replying back.
? This is just a fact m8. My parents are absolutely terrible with tech and hate their MB. They love that they don't even have to lock their MDX. Taking a $100K MB to Chicago is just asking for trouble.

Quote:

Im a Techie, I work in Tech, and I love cars. Im all for better graphics and higher resolution, but it's the dash integration that bugs me most. I do have a deposit on a G87 and my issue is not with the software that is ID8 or the bigger curved screen - I think it might actually be pretty cool - its the way its slapped on the dash I dislike. Not a deal killer though. I'm willing to give it a shot.

If you're a "techie" you likely want the best tech. You are just claiming you prefer a look. So you care much more about looks than tech specs. That's fine, but the opposite of what most techies would prefer.
Appreciate 1
eddj457.00
      08-07-2022, 03:15 PM   #132
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
So the 3 series from 2019-2023 has now seen 3 different dash/screen setups lol.
2019 was original gauges
2020-2022 was the Digital Gauge Cluster
2023 we have the 1 round screen

Who's got bets on whats next? lol
they had to play the "catch up " with Mercedes and Audi on the interior game. thats just how I see this situation you've described

Last edited by eddj; 08-07-2022 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0