home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

10-06-2022, 03:04 PM   #1
oeno-braapz
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Alignment experiences?

hi,
my M240i is a couple months old now and while I plan to keep this car generally stock (well compared to my other cars), I am keen to bring it in for a sporty alignment.

Any experiences so far?

How 'bad' was the factory setup when it got measured (incl. L vs R inconsistencies?)?

& How much play does the car give us on adjusting alignment, w/ just the factory hardware?

My car is really push-y on tight corners on my local backroads; i think a bit of F negative camber could help. maybe a bit less toe-in as well, for sharper turn-in.

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 09:59 AM   #2
gp_solo2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeno-braapz View Post
hi,
my M240i is a couple months old now and while I plan to keep this car generally stock (well compared to my other cars), I am keen to bring it in for a sporty alignment.

Any experiences so far?

How 'bad' was the factory setup when it got measured (incl. L vs R inconsistencies?)?

& How much play does the car give us on adjusting alignment, w/ just the factory hardware?

My car is really push-y on tight corners on my local backroads; i think a bit of F negative camber could help. maybe a bit less toe-in as well, for sharper turn-in.

TIA.
I went to the alignement shop this summer. They did not have the M240 specs. Front camber is not adjustable stock.I had -1.0 deg front left and -0.77 deg front right but with someone sit in the driver seat it came to -0.85 deg each side.

At the rear I had -1.23 deg and -1.42 deg. Toe was slightly in front and rear. I decided to leave everything as is since I could not increase the camber upfront and could not see factory recommended specs. I heard the F series platform had 0 negative front camber so G series is an improvement from that perspective but it would still benefit from more.

I autocross my car and what I found worked best to dial out the understeer (beside of adjusting my driving) is to run rear pressure a few PSI higher compared to front. Typically run 39-40 front end somewhere between 41-45 rear depending on the course and how much stable I want the rear to be on RE71rs tires.
Appreciate 2