E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > ISTA+ vs. NCS Expert vs. ISTA/D

06-12-2024, 02:24 AM   #1
majormusician
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5

ISTA+ vs. NCS Expert vs. ISTA/D

Okay, I know I sound pretty inexperienced and in over my head with this question (because I am), but hopefully I can start to learn from you all.

Can someone explain to me the difference between the various software tools??

I understand that ISTA/D is for diag, ISTA/P is for programing, and ISTA+ is the new combined version of these. Right?

What I'm really confused about is this NCS Expert tool. What is it used for specifically. I have an e70 that is seemingly stuck in transport mode (according to my other diag tools) and I want to get it out of this mode. Is this something that ISTA does?

I keep reading about coding and programing as if they are two different things and now I'm confused about which tool is needed to do simple service resets like brake pads and stuff.

Ive worked on a bunch of cars, and this bimmer is kicking my butt, so I'm hear to learn how to not let that keep happening.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2024, 04:01 PM   #2
Drainthywallet
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 e91 328xi, 2013 e70 X5

Garage List
Coding/diagnositc help

I have an e70, as well as an e91 that I'm working through diagnostic and programming issues with. My e70 requires some physical feats to remove broken injectors, so that is part 2, but it is stuck in neutral.

My e91 is in Park, though using an Autel MD806, it shows as in 5th gear. I too am trying to determine the optimal software to solve these issues. Bump me when you hear anything good.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2024, 06:09 PM   #3
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '07 320i (E90)

If only working on E series, ISTA-D(for Diagnostics, maintenance procedures like undoing 'transport mode' etc.) and ISTA-P(for Programming replacement ECUs, administering software updates etc.) is preferable (in my humble opinion) to the newer ISTA+.
Why? Cuz...

1. ISTA+ is one HUGE package that takes up like 150~200GB of disk space and you can't really reduce its size like you can with ISTA-D or ISTA-P (Yes, it is possible to not include the SDP files which are for programming, but even then the remaining ISTA-D equivalent ISTA+ will be over100GB in size closer to 150GB I think). This is due to ISTA+'s database files system which lumps ALL models in one large DB file without access to data files by series/models, whereas with ISTA-D/P the user can (if technically inclined) simply delete the files associated with series/models that are of no interest and just keep say E70 and E90 files. This can allow for the ISTA-D or P sizes to be around several tens of GB instead of the 150~200GB size of ISTA+.

2. ISTA+ seems to have the same black & white text/photos content for E series as in ISTA-D/P, unlike the color content for the newer models. Therefore, there is no advantage infowise or in terms of visual enhancement.

ISTA+ does have an advantage that multiple vehicles can be connected at the same time, but that is obviously not really needed for personal use, so it's not really that big of a deal unless one is using it in a professional shop.

Cheers...
P.S.
Regarding NCS Expert, I'd consider NCS Expert after getting familiar with ISTA-D/P in general. NCS Expert is a very powerful tool that was used in the BWM factories(perhaps still so for certain purposes?) but it is not "user friendly" and not at all "intuitive".

Once you get a general grip on these tools, NCS Expert (and Tool32, also part of BMW Standard Tools) could be preferred for speedy processing/coding (personal mods/customizing etc.) and a relatively tiny footprint on the computer's storage.

Last edited by tinkerman; 07-23-2024 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0