Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #222
donm527
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Z06

How do you like this direction BMW is going lol.

https://www.motortrend.com/events/ce...809000016b85d7

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
Lead Designer the G42/G87? Yes, Jose Casas is from Mexico. https://www.archyde.com/meet-jose-ca...-series-coupe/

The head of BMW design is German. Domagoj Dukec is from Frankfurt.https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/10/10/d...%20M4%20design.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 11:25 AM   #223
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

Purchase those gasoline powered models while you can!
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2023, 12:20 PM   #224
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:

I actually like the toned down simplified design.

<rant>
But I hate everything else about the car as their primary focus is to be something like a personal assistant to you with tons of tech. Call me old fashioned, but I enjoy a car because of its analog nature and how I dial in my driving to become one with the car, not because I can use it as an assistant or any of the other gimmicky bullshit in this pile.

This new generation however are nothing like us. They don't seem to appreciate anything anymore and so this is where we are with the future of cars. Lame, flash in the pan, look at me, look at me!!! crap.
</rant>
Appreciate 2
IM2C2068.50
      01-05-2023, 12:58 PM   #225
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '17 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I actually like the toned down simplified design.

<rant>
But I hate everything else about the car as their primary focus is to be something like a personal assistant to you with tons of tech. Call me old fashioned, but I enjoy a car because of its analog nature and how I dial in my driving to become one with the car, not because I can use it as an assistant or any of the other gimmicky bullshit in this pile.

This new generation however are nothing like us. They don't seem to appreciate anything anymore and so this is where we are with the future of cars. Lame, flash in the pan, look at me, look at me!!! crap.
</rant>
This just in, previous generation says new generation has completely lost the way. Truly is no country for old men

Seriously though I think both directions are valid, for commuting and "point A to point B" driving the vast majority of people (young and old) would be better suited to a self driving "pod" that handles everything for them and eliminates the dangers of drunk/distracted/tired driving.

But for myself (mid 20's) I drive almost exclusively for pleasure and would always want a sports car that I can pilot through twisty roads and feel at one with. Most car people share that opinion, no need to throw shit at a different generation.
Appreciate 1
zero213253.00
      01-05-2023, 01:52 PM   #226
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdentures View Post
This just in, previous generation says new generation has completely lost the way. Truly is no country for old men

Seriously though I think both directions are valid, for commuting and "point A to point B" driving the vast majority of people (young and old) would be better suited to a self driving "pod" that handles everything for them and eliminates the dangers of drunk/distracted/tired driving.

But for myself (mid 20's) I drive almost exclusively for pleasure and would always want a sports car that I can pilot through twisty roads and feel at one with. Most car people share that opinion, no need to throw shit at a different generation.
Sorry, but you're in the minority. Most of your peers don't see it that way. I'm not shitting on your gen, just telling the truth. It's not like previous gens were any better, we have our faults in differing ways. One constant I see with the younger gen is they just don't give a sh!t about most anything that doesn't offer immediate satisfaction. A car is not something you just jump into and get that from. You have to learn its limits and know yours and constantly work to improve. Most younger folks don't have time for that which is why they EVs that are fast in a straight line yet put me to F'n sleep in every other aspect.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 02:01 PM   #227
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry, but you're in the minority. Most of your peers don't see it that way. I'm not shitting on your gen, just telling the truth. It's not like previous gens were any better, we have our faults in differing ways. One constant I see with the younger gen is they just don't give a sh!t about most anything that doesn't offer immediate satisfaction. A car is not something you just jump into and get that from. You have to learn its limits and know yours and constantly work to improve. Most younger folks don't have time for that.
Everyone's definition of enthusiast is different.
You don't have to work on something and push the limits to enjoy it.

And stop with the younger folk this or that. Anyone can enjoy whatever they want however they want.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 02:02 PM   #228
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, but you're in the minority. Most of your peers don't see it that way. I'm not shitting on your gen, just telling the truth. It's not like previous gens were any better, we have our faults in differing ways. One constant I see with the younger gen is they just don't give a sh!t about most anything that doesn't offer immediate satisfaction. A car is not something you just jump into and get that from. You have to learn its limits and know yours and constantly work to improve. Most younger folks don't have time for that which is why they EVs that are fast in a straight line yet put me to F'n sleep in every other aspect.
I have trouble believing that it's an age thing without seeing some data. Everyone I know who has an EV is older (50+) and everyone I know who is into cars from multiple different social circles are in my age range want cars that are thrilling to drive in the twisties. Non car people never cared about that, no matter what generation.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 02:14 PM   #229
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
I have trouble believing that it's an age thing without seeing some data. Everyone I know who has an EV is older (50+) and everyone I know who is into cars from multiple different social circles are in my age range want cars that are thrilling to drive in the twisties. Non car people never cared about that, no matter what generation.
Economics, younger folks can't afford most EVs and haven't gotten to the point yet to own a home and have a place to charge them, so they are just not convenient enough yet. That is starting to change though as they continue to get cheaper, and your gen gets older. But my point is it's not just with cars, I see in many different aspects of life.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 02:18 PM   #230
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
And stop with the younger folk this or that. Anyone can enjoy whatever they want however they want.
Nah, it's not ill intended. I enjoy a good debate.

Appreciate 1
zero213253.00
      01-05-2023, 03:52 PM   #231
donm527
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Z06

There are youths that enjoy sporty cars and enjoy driving but their idea of enjoying may be different than past gens.

There are quite a few articles that will say that a small minority of youths care to drive a manual or even know how to. Not sure about hard data but I believe it from the younger guys I work with.

I have a co-worker in his mid-twenties... I talk about the cars I've driven and love the feel when driving manual or when I saw Top Gun in HS and knew I had to get a motorcycles and when I did get my Ninjas how I loved riding and going through the gears...

He doesn't care for manuals in a car. He just got into motorcycles with his first sportbike and likes it but would like his next to have an automatic ... And he never saw the original Top Gun. I don't talk too seriously about cars or bikes with him anymore, LOL. (kinda kidding)

Amazing though how many people I know don't know how to drive a manual and haven't seen the original Top Gun.

Quote:

Last edited by donm527; 01-05-2023 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 04:22 PM   #232
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There are youths that enjoy sporty cars and enjoy driving but their idea of enjoying may be different than past gens.

There are quite a few articles that will say that a small minority of youths care to drive a manual or even know how to. Not sure about hard data but I believe it from the younger guys I work with.

I have a co-worker in his mid-twenties... I talk about the cars I've driven and love the feel when driving manual or when I saw Top Gun in HS and knew I had to get a motorcycles and when I did get my Ninjas how I loved riding and going through the gears...

He doesn't care for manuals in a car. He just got into motorcycles with his first sportbike and likes it but would like his next to have an automatic ... And he never saw the original Top Gun. I don't talk too seriously about cars or bikes with him anymore, LOL. (kinda kidding)

Amazing though how many people I know don't know how to drive a manual and haven't seen the original Top Gun.
Does every car older car guy you know like manual? Considering the bulk of 911's and Corvette's are sold in Automatic (and mostly to older people) it seems like a false connection. Of the younger car people I'm friends with one spend months searching for a manual F-type, one restored an old manual land cruiser, one bought a Manual v10 r8, plus several people with manual miatas and golfs.

Obviously autos are more popular, even with most sporty cars. But that's universal across age groups from what I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 04:56 PM   #233
n55f15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240I

No radiator/intercooler guard on this one

Appreciate 3
Tag18305.50
Game7422.00
M2M2M249.50
      01-05-2023, 05:02 PM   #234
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Seems like such a cost cutting measure not to place some simple plastic mesh there. Damn bean counters. Watch people start getting punctured radiators and BMW having to fix them under warranty. Wouldn't that be something.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 05:09 PM   #235
TitanNut88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3CxDrive & GR Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55f15 View Post

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnC6iFdrHBA/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=
Any image where I can compare guard vs no guard? I don’t really manage to see the difference…
      01-05-2023, 06:42 PM   #236
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55f15 View Post

Once again, nada. . I wish we could get this issue resolved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 06:50 PM   #237
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Once again, nada. . I wish we could get this issue resolved.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tag; 01-05-2023 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 3
T_U_D6685.50
M2M2M249.50
      01-05-2023, 06:55 PM   #238
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

The guard is there. Zoom in. One can see it faintly. The left and right side of it, the mounting points are visible.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 06:59 PM   #239
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
The guard is there. Zoom in. One can see it faintly. The left and right side of it, the mounting points are visible.
Yeah, I’ve seen the closeups of it. It should also have plastic mesh in the bumper too for added protection, would look better too.
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6685.50
      01-05-2023, 07:09 PM   #240
Sethhboii
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Anyone going to buy the AUTOID yellow DRL kit? That’s going to be one of my first mods
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 07:37 PM   #241
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethhboii View Post
Anyone going to buy the AUTOID yellow DRL kit?
That’s a negative.
Appreciate 1
Sethhboii1315.50
      01-05-2023, 08:24 PM   #242
n55f15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanNut88 View Post
Any image where I can compare guard vs no guard? I don’t really manage to see the difference…

I think it's pretty visible here
Appreciate 0