BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

11-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #23
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Does the use of BimmerCode constitute a modification of the car's engine/body control software and void the warranty?
From what I've read in the past: no. It creates a backup and if you ever want to put it back to default you can. It can't change anything related to performance or emissions, but if it freaked out and crashed while writing to the ECU it obviously wouldn't be a free fix. Just make sure your phone is in Airplane Mode and disable CarPlay while performing any changes.

Not that it matters, but more than likely most of the BMW employees in the service center that drive BMW's use BimmerCode.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 09:42 AM   #24
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
From what I've read in the past: no. It creates a backup and if you ever want to put it back to default you can. It can't change anything related to performance or emissions, but if it freaked out and crashed while writing to the ECU it obviously wouldn't be a free fix. Just make sure your phone is in Airplane Mode and disable CarPlay while performing any changes.

Not that it matters, but more than likely most of the BMW employees in the service center that drive BMW's use BimmerCode.
With my Dodge Challenger any change to the ECU flash image stores a P1400 error code which can't be erased. This code signals a change has been made even if the change is undone and the original image is restored.

I have no BMW experience in this area but I would be surprised if BMW doesn't do the same. The code is probably different but essentially lets BMW know the ECU flash image has been changed.

I'm going to try my Auto X scan tool to see if the car alarm triggers.

And I'll try an OBD2 trip logging/data logging device. Once it detects the engine is off it ceases querying for RPMs and speed and any other data and goes into a very low power mode. It only awakens from an engine start which is signaled by a voltage dip. It then confirms the engine is running by querying for RPMs which have to be above some threshold and changing. Some vehicles will with the engine off respond with stale RPM data.

Neither of these devices modifies the ECU flash image. Both can send a command to erase an error code but this doesn't result in a change to the ECU flash image. It just commands the ECU to erase any active error codes.

If these devices work then I'm good.
Appreciate 0